Community > Posts By > splendidlife

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 11:41 AM
Edited by splendidlife on Tue 12/09/08 12:31 PM

Hello all
Please help. I'm moving into a home I just purchased, and the only thing it didn't already have versus ones I'd also looked at was a backyard fence. Champ is a 5 month old Boxer, so he's very active and loves to run. My backyard, however, is behind somewhat-busy street and the only thing that will keep him seperate from it are a couple of bushes. Does anyone know about or have used those electronic collar/fence mechanisms? I guess essentially what it does is sends a signal to your dog not to go beyond the mark, and it's attached to his collar. I don't want to hurt my baby, but I don't want him to run out in the street either... Please help

I considered one of those systems and did a little research. I was told that the frequency of the system may "connect" with the frequency of some garage door openers, which can result in a shock at times that neighbors are using their garage door openers. This would send a confusing message to the dog to be shocked when not approaching the perimeter... Not to mention be a potentially cruel and painful experience.

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 11:31 AM

WTF i'm not a parent and its not a parenting subject!!!

its about crappy furniture!!!

*grumbles*

damned people moving my topic.maybe i should have changed my nephew to my grandpa.

Big Brother is watching!
scared

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 11:14 AM

i think fwb is good but only with one friend

Doesn’t it seem as though the objective of FWB be to have as little “restrictions” as possible?

Once we put conditions on it, doesn't it become a commitment of sorts?

Where do we draw a line?

Yikes!

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 10:23 AM

I am willing to bet as we uncover the nature of the brain, we will find that almost all (perhaps especially violent)crimes start in a imbalance of the normal functions of the brain. Perhaps we will show eventually how all behavior arises from processes within the brain . . .

Dopamine - Prolactin Relationship at Orgasm

Dopamine- RED / Prolactin- BLUE

dopamine drops, prolactin rises

Research shows that prolactin surges immediately after orgasm in both men and women. Men may experience this prolactin surge as the "roll over and snore" phenomenon. In women, the effects may be delayed for days. We notice that the effects come and go for about two weeks.

There’s an inverse relationship between the levels of prolactin and dopamine; when one is up the other is down. This rise and fall produces a dopamine/prolactin roller coaster of highs and lows, and this roller coaster is a major part of the post-orgasm hangover.

What do couples complain of as their honeymoons end? The very symptoms associated with high prolactin: weight gain, drop in libido, mood changes, depression. Notice that in women excess prolactin is also associated with anxiety and hostility. Sound familiar? The following table lists symptoms of patients with chronically elevated prolactin. We think that after sex, the surges may be more subtle, but still noticeable in their effects.
Women Men
Loss of libido Loss of libido
Mood changes / depression Mood changes / depression
Hostility, anxiety Impotence
Headache Headache
Menopausal symptoms,
even when estrogen is sufficient Infertility
Signs of increased testosterone levels Decreased testosterone levels

Although research hasn’t shown how long prolactin surges continue in humans after sex, in female rats, twice daily surges of prolactin continue for up to two weeks. This may help to explain how great sex last week could lead to relationship friction now. And it’s no wonder we don’t make the link between cause and effect.

There’s also evidence that prolactin acts as a stress hormone. Unlike the "fight or flight" stress hormones, prolactin seems to be associated with "giving up," or "despair-type" stress. When a wild monkey is first caged, "fight or flight" stress hormones rise. As time goes by and despair sets in, "fight or flight" hormones fall and prolactin rises. Could these surges of prolactin explain agitation, wanting "space," or irritation with your partner that seems to come out of nowhere and then die down? Over time, could these recurring feelings also lead to relationship disillusionment?

To summarize thus far, orgasm leads to a drop in dopamine and a rise in prolactin. Both of these lead to multiple behavioral and emotional symptoms, which, in our experience, can arise over the next two weeks. During this time, behavior may change for the worse. More importantly, lovers' perception of each other can shift dramatically for the worse. If we feel depleted, our partner will seem overly demanding; if we feel needy, our partner will seem selfish and uncaring. Bickering and emotional separation then lead to further friction. Of course, few people ever avoid orgasm for two weeks. Most of us ride this roller coaster over and over, never really experiencing balanced brain chemistry - or the easy harmony that accompanies it.

splendidlife, I dont really know either to be honest. This is not my field of study, although it might be one day. The more I research biology and brain processes, the more I desire to use physics to study the brain.

Perhaps an alliance between all of the Sciences along with the Philosophical branch known as "Meta-Physics" in a group effort (each contributing their piece) will steer us in the direction of greatest understanding.

Is a collective of scientific disciplines (to include those perhaps not viewed as quite so "scientific") that far fetched?

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 09:18 AM

co-author of The Spiritual Brain: A neuroscientist's case for the existence of the soul.

He has an agenda, promoting his book, that does not invalidate any real peer reviewed research he may have done, id be interested in that . . . I will read more.

"Scientific dissent from Darwinism" petition, spearheaded by the Seattle-based Discovery Institute,

Wow didn't get three paragraphs in and now its clear LOL.

"From such experiments, Schwartz and others argue that since the mind can change the brain, the mind must be something other than the brain, something non-material. In fact, these experiments are entirely consistent with mainstream neurology - the material brain is changing the material brain."

Does no one see the problem with this statement?

Is it a typo? Consistent with the opposite of the previous statement.

Agenda makes the world go around...
The world go around...
The world go around...

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 08:49 AM

Yep. I imagine lust simply floods the brain with dopamine. Probably several other hormones as well. Collectively these hormones conspire to give us that feeling of euphoria that we associate with meeting someone new that we have sexual interest in.

Thats why rejection can also be a problem for some people and can lead to "crimes of passion." Those hormones have a heavy duty effect on the brain.

Perhaps "crimes of passion" manifest when the mind battles itself under the tyranny of "good" and "bad".

The science involved provides half the equation. The worm-hole-like connection between our conscious mind / brain function and the unseen energy that shapes matter into physical form completes the equation.

How?

This to me sounds like an unfounded assumption. No offense. Fill in the equation then lets proof it against reality and see if it holds water.

He Blinded Me With Science!

No offense taken. Of course it sounds unfounded...

...It is.:wink:

Help fill in the equation, Mr. Science.
laugh

All joking aside... This is where the collaboration rubber could meet the road. Help a person more ignorant of physical proof (moi) to help a person more ignorant of the unseen possibilities (peut-être vous?).

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 08:02 AM

Yep. I imagine lust simply floods the brain with dopamine. Probably several other hormones as well. Collectively these hormones conspire to give us that feeling of euphoria that we associate with meeting someone new that we have sexual interest in.

Thats why rejection can also be a problem for some people and can lead to "crimes of passion." Those hormones have a heavy duty effect on the brain.

Perhaps "crimes of passion" manifest when the mind battles itself under the tyranny of "good" and "bad".

The science involved provides half the equation. The worm-hole-like connection between our conscious mind / brain function and the unseen energy that shapes matter into physical form completes the equation.

How?

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 07:14 AM

If you are not a virgin now, you had sex in the past at some point. If you are a Christian then that would have meant that you sinned in some respect against god.

I dont care if you are married or not.

Its only a sin if you create that turmoil for yourself.

Sin is the turmoil we ourselves create out of our slavish devotion to the mind / taskmaster doling out appraisals of "good" and "bad".

splendidlife's photo
Tue 12/09/08 06:48 AM
Edited by splendidlife on Tue 12/09/08 06:49 AM

Until recently I was open to such a notion, but thanks be to God for helping set it straight with me - friends with benefits = lust. Sex only for the one you love. :smile:

What if the one you love IS the friend with whom there are benefits?

What if the love that one shares with a true friend transcends any binding agreement or legal contract?

What can one learn about one's own capacity to love when there are no "laws" thrust into the equation that dictate one's "correct" behavior? ...Especially when one has been programmed all their life to expect certain "treatment" from loved ones.

Do not these man-made laws that people claim come from God have us in a sleepy trance?

splendidlife's photo
Mon 12/08/08 01:17 PM

anyone ever thought about what is the dark matter? It's the "stuff" which we don't see, and I don't know 70% of the universe?

It's not air but it's not "nothing" it has to be something, right?
Nit pick: 4% "observable" matter, 22% Dark Matter, 74% Dark Energy

It's not really a "thing" per se. It's simply "the unknown cause of an observed phenomenon".

We don't know the causes of X and Y. But nevertheless, we've made up labels to refer to those unknown causes. Those labels are DM and DE.

The reason the "Dark" labels were chosen is because the phenommena are similar to phenomena caused by matter and energy - but we can't see any matter and energy that would cause those phenomena.

Personally, I think the causes are our own incomplete understanding of the laws of the universe. That is, there isn't really some undetectable "stuff". It's just that we don't fully understand the "stuff" we do detect.

But that's just my (admitedly extremely ignorant) opinion.
Perhaps, to admit ignorance is to open self to far greater vision, giving way to others admitting ignorance and subsequent greater vision for all.
Well I'm not sure about "all". But from a personal perspective, I've learned quite a bit that I never would have learned had I not been able to admit at least a little ignorance. An obsessive need to always be right is probably the single most difficult barrier to overcome in learning new things - not to mention interpersonal relationships. laugh

Ain't it the truth, Brothah!
:wink:

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 05:18 PM
NO FUN ALLOWED!
rant

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 04:35 PM

Sharp, with all respect I say this sir. The world does not end when Christ returns, "time" ends! love ya man, MM:wink:

Really?

Well some say that "time as we know it" ends on December 21, 2012.

So if Christ is going to come back, it should be then.

Now how would one describe "Christ?"

For me, "Christ" is a state of consciousness, not a personality.

Christ comes back anytime you wish, back into your heart and way of thinking, just ask, he will.

That is not what I am talking about. I don't believe that "Christ" is a personality with a gender. I believe it is a state of consciousness that involves divine love and compassion.

Make no mistake, Christ's spirit will appear in physical form again. He may already be hear and we have just not recognized it yet. That could be because No one one the planet wants to be the one to expose his identity after what happened to him the first time he was here. There will come a time when He will make his presence known to all. It will be a earth changing event. There have been many false Christ's show up. Koresh, Jim Jones, and many many others, we will know for a fact when the real deal shows. No one one the planet will be able to stop his teachings. They will spread so fast through the world, his message of truth will not be able to be stopped by any man with a killing device of any kind.

Perhaps then Christ will once and for all renounce Christianity for all its man-made laws and ideals.
He very well could, It has become nothing but a tool for a great many people to use for there own gain. Remember, the term "christian" or "Christianity" were not Christ's terms. They came after he was put to death by then the church/government. He would not do away with the idea of being a true christian, but there are very few people whom still practice this. It is important for us to understand that not all who are led astray are guilty of something. Most people just really do not understand what they are doing. Sad.

How do you know that you have not been "led astray"?
discernment!

Do you not think that every human exercises discernment?
no, not of the spirits

What the Hell does that mean?
laugh

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 03:40 PM

Sharp, with all respect I say this sir. The world does not end when Christ returns, "time" ends! love ya man, MM:wink:

Really?

Christ comes back anytime you wish, back into your heart and way of thinking, just ask, he will.

That is not what I am talking about. I don't believe that "Christ" is a personality with a gender. I believe it is a state of consciousness that involves divine love and compassion.

Make no mistake, Christ's spirit will appear in physical form again. He may already be hear and we have just not recognized it yet. That could be because No one one the planet wants to be the one to expose his identity after what happened to him the first time he was here. There will come a time when He will make his presence known to all. It will be a earth changing event. There have been many false Christ's show up. Koresh, Jim Jones, and many many others, we will know for a fact when the real deal shows. No one one the planet will be able to stop his teachings. They will spread so fast through the world, his message of truth will not be able to be stopped by any man with a killing device of any kind.

Perhaps then Christ will once and for all renounce Christianity for all its man-made laws and ideals.
He very well could, It has become nothing but a tool for a great many people to use for there own gain. Remember, the term "christian" or "Christianity" were not Christ's terms. They came after he was put to death by then the church/government. He would not do away with the idea of being a true christian, but there are very few people whom still practice this. It is important for us to understand that not all who are led astray are guilty of something. Most people just really do not understand what they are doing. Sad.

discernment!

Do you not think that every human exercises discernment?

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 01:46 PM

That long haired, can't dress himself, reclusive from time to time had to have been crazy. Why else would he have wasted his TIME doing things that helped proved that TIME itself is a myth. Don't even ask me to prove this, as I will not waste my TIME doing so!smokin

Long-haired, cousin-f**king freak!

Imagine if everyone we labeled "crazy" was actually genius, each holding keys to open doors to all Universe’s mysteries.

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 01:28 PM

Really?

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 12:46 PM
Edited by splendidlife on Sun 12/07/08 12:49 PM

anyone ever thought about what is the dark matter? It's the "stuff" which we don't see, and I don't know 70% of the universe?

It's not air but it's not "nothing" it has to be something, right?

Nit pick: 4% "observable" matter, 22% Dark Matter, 74% Dark Energy

It's not really a "thing" per se. It's simply "the unknown cause of an observed phenomenon".

We don't know the causes of X and Y. But nevertheless, we've made up labels to refer to those unknown causes. Those labels are DM and DE.

The reason the "Dark" labels were chosen is because the phenommena are similar to phenomena caused by matter and energy - but we can't see any matter and energy that would cause those phenomena.

Personally, I think the causes are our own incomplete understanding of the laws of the universe. That is, there isn't really some undetectable "stuff". It's just that we don't fully understand the "stuff" we do detect.

But that's just my (admitedly extremely ignorant) opinion.

Perhaps, to admit ignorance is to open self to far greater vision, giving way to others admitting ignorance and subsequent greater vision for all.

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 12:37 PM

Really?

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 12:27 PM

Sky:
The more people that agree with a viewpoint, the more it tends to draw further agreement. Almost like gravity itself, laugh.

Wow!

Wouldn't it be wild if this IS exactly what has been keeping gravity at its current constant?

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 12:20 PM

Really?

"Consciousness" that involves the so-called other 90% as we have not yet fully experienced.

splendidlife's photo
Sun 12/07/08 12:18 PM

Really?

"Christ" IS already in your heart.

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25