Community > Posts By > grkboy

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/18/08 01:02 PM

It sound silly and the automatic answer is yes from everyone, but I have a couple of guy friends that prefer to be players, and nothing deeper then that, I myself want to fall in love agian.ohwell

Different strokes for different folks.

I agree and would want to find Ms Right, fall in love, etc. love

Others (men and women) maybe have been hurt and prefer to just have sex and nothing more.

grkboy's photo
Sat 04/05/08 09:04 AM

Another thread brought this question to mind.

How much of your past are you obligated to disclose to a casual date? How much do you tell a serious suitor? What do you save for when you know you want to spend your life with this person?

How much is just your business, and never needs to be disclosed?

On a first date, you don't have to disclose your whole life, although you should be honest. Seen people try to hide that they have kids, or that they're freshly separated and yet still living in the same house with their ex. Had someone show me a profile one time of a girl who went out with my friend, and never told him she was recently impregnated.

Some things you gotta come clean about, and many won't have a problem with it. I had a girl tell me on a first date that she was divorced and had a low-level diabetes. Didn't bother me at all, and I was glad she felt she could be honest with me.

Now of course you'll get on first dates and people will start asking personal questions that you don't feel you need to answer yet. I only can suggest a few things:

1) Tell the truth, but don't tell everything. He/she doesn't need every detail of the bitter breakup that happened last year, or stuff like that. Just keep the answers short, simple, and especially POSITIVE!

If a girl were to ask me why I'm 34, single, and unmarried...I would NOT answer "well, every woman I meet ends up being a flake or a raging headcase. I just want to meet a decent girl like you" That is negative, regardless that you tried to compliment her. Try instead while a smile "Well, I just haven't met the right woman yet. Marriage is not something you just jump into."

It was a positive reply, and it says you value the idea of marriage. Nothing bad was said about exes or women from the past. It shows you're level-headed and possibly looking for something real.

2) Don't be afraid to politely say it's none of their business. Had a friend who is worried that guys she'll be dating will suddenly want deep details about her past relationships, some of which were to some total douchebags. I told her she doesn't have to look for some honest creative positive answer. She can simply smile with a little sarcasm and say "Um...that's a litle much to ask at this point. I generally don't like talking about exes on a first date."

Guess what? This guy now might decide that he doesn't want to see her anymore because he thinks she's got skeletons in her closet, but it also says loudly that he's not for her because he's too concerned with the past than the present moment...his date. That, or if he's more insecure, he'll probably now sit there scared. She just put him on the spot and called him out for his BIG mistake in dating. She won't see any more questions about exes that night, and he'll be working his arse off to try to show her a good time, hoping she'll overlook that mistake and go on a second date later with him.

It's just a date, not a job interview or a police interrogation.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 01:42 PM

or being over weight... men have issues with us chubby chicks!!

Women can be just as bad about us "stocky" guys! I've lost 90 lbs since my wife left me and I still can't get the time of day from women.

I think men and women need to stop thinking it's wrong to not want fat/chubby/obese people as possible mates. It's all about personal taste, nothing more.

Just show them respect as human beings nonetheless. Everyone deserves that.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 01:38 PM
I just got here. I don't know anyone enough yet to even have a crush.

And I'll put some photos up soon.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 11:52 AM
Narrow-minded nature will turn me off. Racism will totally set me off, mostly because I think as a civilized modern society, we gotta get out of this "hate because of color or creed" thing.

I get turned off when people have inflated egos, are immature or flaky, or have little or no respect for anyone.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 11:52 AM
I'm a Chicago fan all the way.

I don't care who's winning (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Hawks, Fire, Wolves, etc) as long as we're winning.

I never did this "Northside VS Southside" BS.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 11:21 AM
Good men complaining that there are no good women...

Good women complaining that there are no good men...

...yet they never seem to find one another. I wonder why that is?

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 10:35 AM
I am not one of those types that thinks you have to put a woman down below you in order to have things stable and right. I more grew up watching the "charming gentleman" that you would see in old cartoons. Suave, sophisticated, stylish, total gentleman. He opens doors, pulls chairs, and totally charms a girl without being some "alpha male" or jerk to her. Sweeps her off her feet.

That's just how I imagine things, and try to put elements of that when I date. Charm her. Be a gentleman. Do those little things. Granted many women saw the actions as "weakness", but they did prove later they were the types who more relate to being abused and neglected as opposed to loved. Guys tell me my actions will send me into the friendzone more, but I don't care. If a woman can't appreciate me being a good man to her (and I am no doormat) then she's just not worth being with.

So if my breed is getting less and less, the I'll enjoy being an endangered species. glasses

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 10:30 AM
I've had plenty of those experiences. Girls who seem all into me, then in a split second pull a 180 and run. I usually call it "flaking out".

Anyway, I've noticed over the years that many women do it because they have issues. Some guy or guys hurt them in the past, and when something comes along that's too good to be true in their eyes, they run from it. Had one friend tell me that these women think I'll quickly dump them, because they see themselves as crap, and figure I will eventually see them as that.

Other women just "flaked out" mostly because a BBD (Bigger Better Deal) came along and they wanted to be with said guy. Mostly it's the ex-boyfriend who suddenly comes calling and she still hasn't let him go, so she'll try again in a heartbeat. Other times they meet a guy they find hotter and such...so they want to break things off and hook up with him.

I think the only time this behavior bothers me is when it's a real sudden 180, like we've been making out passionately or even sleeping together, she's all into me, then the next day she is totally the opposite. Worse are the ones who just "vanish". They suddenly never pick up the phone when you call, and never call you back when you leave voicemails.

I'm sure men do it to women as well. Such is life.

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 10:21 AM
<--- Virgo

grkboy's photo
Fri 04/04/08 10:20 AM

Anyone else feel like nothing works? I'll be logging off real soon so I won't be able to check on this post for awhile, but I will later.

I feel quite alone in this; even though I know I'm not the only one that feels this way...ohwell

I know how you feel, because I've been there. I was there for the past year after one girl burned me.

When I was really hurting, I got to the point where I didn't want to bother or try anymore, as my past experiences have been one headcase after the next. Women who start off as fun, friendly, happy, and into me...but then quickly turn into people who more need a therapist than a boyfriend. Usually they flake out, or do irrational things.

Now then, when the last time happened, I first felt that I needed to take a total break from dating and such. I devoted my time to me. Personal growth, goals, grad school, career, family, friends, hobbies. I learned to enjoy life again, especially without all the added drama in it, and to be happy and content with myself as single and alone.

Then I did something that I regarded as very important to my own personal growth - I rewrote my goals/plans in life.

I've noticed too many people who seemingly are unlucky in love tend to have their life's goals revolved around the idea of "finding someone". People who seemingly can only think about getting married, and thus feel that they are a total failure if it doesn't happen. Not good.

So my goals more are written in PENCIL (figuratively), and more revolve around the idea that I never find anyone in life, and thus grow old alone. This might sound depressing, but it only is depressing when you think of that life as sitting on a porch or couch alone, watching the world pass you by, feeling like you did nothing over your life.

How about instead imagine yourself as one of those more upbeat senior citizens or even the middle-aged person who's traveling the world? Maybe buy property in another country? Write a book? Start a business? Anything! So you didn't find love and start a family...imagine now you're able to do ANYTHING you want in your life!

So my goals now are to pay off my condo in 9 years, then save up a down payment and buy another condo in Thessaloniki, Greece. I fell in love with that city when I first saw it. I'd love to have a place there to just fly to either to chill for a vacation, share it with friends, or even as a hub point to see more of Europe. Even then I want to travel more and see this big planet. I also want to learn to play a piano, speak Greek, and anything else that interests me.

Now I said "written in PENCIL" for a reason. Way back, I remember of all things a beer commercial where the guy said "and you should write your life's plans in pencil, so you can erase and re-write it over and over as you go". I agree with that. Maybe I will meet Ms Right and get married, suddenly the Greece condo plans might become a single-family home. You never know.

NOW...in terms of scoot_42000's rant, I first think he should take a break from dating and trying. Stop feeling down and just do things to make yourself happy in life as a single male. If dating has been nothing but a bad situation for you, then get out of it for a while. Clear your head and mend your heart. You'll do worse if you sit there in anguish.

Rewrite your life's goals the way I did.

THEN...after a break, just live life. Be out there, be sociable, be HAPPY especially! Don't let the break become what I let it become...a means to avoid it all and hate women and dating. Be sure to take responsibility for any mistakes you think you made with past women. In the end, when you come to grips with yourself and really just be happy, people notice.

Would you notice the girl walking down the street with a big smile? or more notice the one with an angry look?

Things just might come then for you when you're not expecting it. Also treat these sites as just a means to meet people...not have it all be about "I WANT A GIRLFRIEND!" I noticed that while I never use Myspace as a dating site, when I removed any notion of wanting to date off my page, women just started adding me and messaging me. I don't get why, but I take that same approach here. Hence why I am looking for FRIENDS and not so much a girlfriend.

Don't get discouraged...because it just leads you to hate it all. Just take a break to clear your mind and mend your heart, then make your life about YOU, not "finding someone".

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:56 PM

The main cause of economic decline is FEAR of economic decline.

~My 2 cents

I agree. The foreclosures things scared too many businesses into being conservative.

I also agree with the opinions that while there are a lot of Americans who are on food stamps...I wonder how many of them own a laptop, have cable TV, a broadband connection, digital camera, and even go out on the weekend?

Not saying all Americans on welfare are lazy, but there are those now who use the system. People who get paid cash and then claim they are unemployed or underemployed.

Even the housing thing. Who told someone making $30K a year that they could afford a $500,000 home with no money down? Even I wasn't that stupid. I bought a condo I could afford with a down payment I saved up and didn't accept anything other than a 30-year fixed mortgage.

Only downer for me right now are these politicians who want to jack up the sales and property taxes...as well as the costs of gas.

But it just means that maybe going out to dinner will become cooking dinner at my condo. It means I don't spend $50+ a month on cable TV (although I never got cable to begin with). It means I buy clothing at the inexpensive stores as opposed to Michigan Avenue. It means I shop at discount grocery stores and not spend money on luxury foods...just the essentials.

It also means I don't run up my credit cards. I use them to pay for gas and food and such, but pay them off at the end of the month. I earn miles for my spending, but I am not sitting on bad debt.

FINALLY...I'm also being smarter with my money. I'm currently working on saving up 6 months of expenses. 6 months of mortgage payments, food, communications, assessments, electricity, etc. That's going to go into a Mutual Fund or Money Market account...so if I were to lose my job (hopefully when I finish saving up that amount), I can pay my bills for 6 months while trying to find a new job.

Once the saving is done then I max out my 401K and invest in some blue chip funds. The basic goal is to secure my life...not fill it with shiny objects. Even when I buy a shiny object, it's still at a deal. My car isn't expensive or flashy. My clothes are not big name labels. I don't even buy top of the line electronics. I have two used TUBE televisions in my place. No HDTVs. I don't own an Xbox360 or PS3.

I have hobbies and interests, but I don't run out buying shiny objects on the idea of being a big-shot spender. Seen too many of my peers now in thousands of dollars in debts from living a lifestyle they couldn't afford.

That's just it...people back in the 30s were truly in trouble because there were no laws in place to protect their savings...no FDIC. They couldn't afford to live. Here today, people need to keep to the basics (food and shelter) and live realistically when times get tough.

Ok...I'm done. Sorry to have rambled.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:27 PM
STORMTROOPERS ARE NEXT!!! bigsmile

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:25 PM
Thessaloniki

Hidden surprise for many. It's the second largest city in the country, but it's absolutely beautiful.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:24 PM
I've been to Greece a few years ago, I'm sorry about what happened to you revolution, but you can expect that in the small towns and islands that aren't normally bombarded with tourists.

Some places are just very unwelcoming to anyone from the outside, others are just unwelcoming to minorities. Usually because there have been too many bad examples of minorities in Greece. It has nothing to do with you personally, but old narrow-minded people will stereotype and then hate.

I would suggest you check out Thessaloniki if you can. Absolutely beautiful city. I fell in love with it, even though my father is from Athens.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:08 PM
Edited by grkboy on Thu 04/03/08 08:09 PM

I have to make a few changes to make it better SEO. New stuff I learned. Also have to redo my web design portfolio site.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 08:01 PM

go out with a girl or guy who got upset because you and your friends were going to meet someone of the opposite sex and his/her friends for fun and sun.

I'd find out first WHY she has a problem with it. For all we know it could be something totally not about her being a woman, but maybe something realistic. Like she hangs with gang-bangers or does drugs.

If she's just being jealous and irrational, then I'll put my foot down. If she says "them or me", then I say goodbye.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 07:57 PM

the weight problem is from a medical problem that my doctor and I are working on, hopefully he can find a solution and I have arthritis in my knees hips and lower back whick is the reason for the wheelchair, I can walk short distances . Other than that I am healthy as an ox. I think I am going to concentrate on the possitive things about me for now on. Like my humor and singing.

Definitely the way to go then. Good for you. I hope good fortune finds you then. drinker

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 07:54 PM
Currently single and enjoying it.

grkboy's photo
Thu 04/03/08 07:51 PM

to find someone on here that will email you back and isnt just looking for friendship grumble

I dunno dude. I approached this site as "looking for friends".

While I am a guy and both of us are looking for women, I did the online dating thing before and got disappointed. Most complaints women make is that every guy is trying to get something happening as fast as possible. Hence why more women are standoffish and wanting to just build friendships to start.

After a few psychos, I kind of feel the same way. Just meet people, chat, get to know them...most of the time people will grow to become attracted after getting to know your personality.

Sometimes you just gotta take it slow, and show the women you really want to get to know them, as opposed to being another guy looking for a warm body.