Community > Posts By > grkboy

grkboy's photo
Thu 05/22/08 12:11 PM
I think in the end, it simply will mean the US will have to start thinking like Europe and Japan. This here is what I liked the most:

Some of these things, such as small cars and excellent public transportation, are already entrenched in Europe and Japan. Gas prices there are the equivalent of $8 to $10 a gallon, largely because of high taxes. They live with it. We could, too.

Things will have to change in the US. People with large pickup trucks and SUVs who don't really use all the cargo space will have to think smaller. Two-wheeled vehicles will also be on the rise. Even I am contemplating a motor scooter, but I take public transportation as much as possible.

I can also see a greater separation between cities and the suburbs. Those who simply drove over an hour a day to get to work and back might have to think about moving closer, finding a job close to home, or pushing for a telecommute. Same deal with those I've seen who come to the city from the burbs every weekend to party. They might have to change their habits.

I can also see a rise in neighborhood stores. Stuff in walking distance. People will inevitably have some kind of food store close to home they can walk to, as opposed to driving. I can see a lot more walking happening period. Maybe it'll help the health and obesity problem in the US.

Entertainment will also be able to grow. Bars, restaurants, and such will open more in the burbs and not just the city simply to offer a more "closer to home" opportunity. I'm seeing it already happening.

As for the airlines, I talked to my relatives from Europe and asked how the airlines there manage to survive with their high fuel prices. One thing they said was that many airlines don't have a lot of routes, so they act more like the bus that makes its stops. Another thing was that CEO's and high execs of European airlines don't make as much as American ones do...meaning no 900% more than the average worker...so they have more money to spare as opposed to having it going to salaries.

I think we'll be fine. The US will just have to change its ways and its thinking. I have a bicycle, I'll probably get a scooter, I walk more now than I drive, and I'll keep on that.

Now I just need more European cafes to open in Chicago...with more outdoor seating. ;)

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 09:06 PM

When you have a friend who is seemingly happy in his/her new relationship, do you support and encourage them, or do you regularly try to find "faults" with the relationship, perhaps out of jealousy, insecurity of losing a friend, or even control issues?

What kind of friend are you?

I support them.

Love is hard to find, so why should I stand in their way?

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 04:15 PM

Im sooo over this whole week..... and we're barely at the half way point..... long days ahead... feel free to vent.... this is the official Thursday Pow-Wow

*sympathy hug*

You need the weekend to hit for drinker

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 04:14 PM

just out of curiosity, why do you choose to find people online instead of other places?

I'm just on here to chat on the forums. One of my best friends came on here to meet men and apparently met a very nice one. Good for her.

I like chatting with people, being sociable. I do it in real life and on here. You're all cool people in my book.

I'm too busy in my life right now though to get into dating, and I'm not going to waste someone's time when I can't really make time for them. Maybe when I finish grad school in July and have more free time I'll think about giving the dating end of this site a shot.

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 04:08 PM

ok guys ....is it just me...or is it yall that dont like the thick girls.....in iowa....cuz i have had the worst luck so whats up

I wrote a longer, more detailed explanation in the "skinny girls" topic in General Discussion, but I'll sum it up to my key point:

Most men just want a woman of a HEALTHY WEIGHT.

We're not looking for skinny fashion models. Some guys do like larger women, my two friends are among them. Some guys are just very shallow and demand their women look young, skinny, and perfect. Most men (including me) though just like women of a healthy weight and lifestyle.

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 04:04 PM
I'm in my office, working on an animation. Leaving work in 30 min.

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:58 PM

Do you find it hard to say this after the date with someone?

I'll be honest I've never told a girl this after dating her. I usually tell them this if I wouldn't fathom dating her.

Do you bother or just never talk to them unless they talk to you?

I don't mind when women try to hit me with LJBF ("Let's Just Be Friends") when it's a GOOD TIMING. What I mean by that is let's say we chat and flirt for a month, then meet and go out on two dates, but no sparks really happen and she's not feeling it, so she hits me with LJBF and honestly tells me she's not feeling it, I'll accept it and respect her for her honesty, as well as be friends with her.

However, if said woman and I went out for several months, and were physically intimate with one another several times (making out and/or sex), then I wouldn't be so ready to accept the sudden LJBF. I'd more honestly tell her I felt more for her than "just friends" and can't do it...thus cutting ties and moving on.

Had one girl do that to me two years ago. Was all over me since the first date then after several months she hit me with LJBF because she wanted to try dating her best guy friend. I politely turned her down, wished them luck, and cut ties. She just exploded on me in anger, like I stabbed her in the back or something. Yeesh. noway

I also won't be friends with a female though if she's planning on making me her constant crying blanket. :wink:

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:51 PM
I see three reasons why someone would not post a pic on their profile:

1) They fear no one will like they way they look and thus figure no pic will get more responses.

2) They maybe are very good looking and more want to have it where those who message them will really want to get to know them, as opposed to just seeing a pretty pic and blindly sending an email.

3) They're married or in a relationship and don't want anyone they know to accidentally come across their page.

I use a pic of Chicago as my primary just so it comes out this way on the board, but I did post two pics of me just so anyone can put a face with the name. :smile:

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:48 PM
Too far for my tastes, but great idea.

I'm just not a fan of road trips or being in a car any longer than I need to be.

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:46 PM

Here's the killer too, HE emailed me first and in his final email said for me to move along....

WTFH???

He was concerned that I needed someone to talk to because I am so snappy, when I told him I was just fine, then told me the reason I don't have friends is because I'm so b*tchy. To which I responded, thank you for your concern, I do just fine, and prefer to associate with intelligent human beings, then told ME to move along before someone dropped a house on me....

I don't get people.

He started the conversation and then when I dismissed his "kindness" told me to go away... How kind is that?

I think people should invest in dictionaries.

That just all seems strange.

If I saw a friend angered or frustrated in his/her posts...I'd just shoot an email saying "hey...are you ok? I was concerned."

If they tell me not to worry about it, then I'll back off. No need to dig deeper.

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:43 PM

ok this is brought up alot.some of us women that yall consider skinny don't consider themselves skinny enough.I realize this bothers people that need or want to lose weight and feel like that people like me are already too skinny.What are your thoughts on this?[and i don't need to be told i'm already skinny]

I think women need to really wake up and realize that we men don't look at the magazines and the TV and declare that all women must be as thin and perfect as the models and celebrities we see. If anything, I think women have heard the loud voices of the minority of males who are very shallow and thus believe all men are like that.

We know the models and celebrities diet themselves to death, go under the knife, have personal trainers and dietitians, and even snort coke to stay uber-thin. We know these people also have the time in their lives to do all this, because it's part of their line of work.

I'm going to say it here, as I've said it in many discussions of this subject - MOST MEN JUST WANT WOMEN OF A HEALTHY WEIGHT.

What does "healthy weight" mean? It means that she is not pushing a huge stomach, arse, double-chins, etc. She doesn't look like a "before" picture for Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. We men aren't saying women must be super thin, have a flat stomach, and large fake breasts.

We're just saying we're attracted to the woman who looks like she's of a healthy weight. She could have a little extra on the butt, or a little ponch on her belly, but there's a big difference between being 10-20 lbs overweight and being 50-100 lbs overweight.

I know someone will get pissed, hurt, offended, negative, etc about my words here, but I believe in being honest. You can call me shallow or whatever, but I'm being honest.

There are some men like my two friends who actually prefer the larger set women. I'm sure there are many more out there like that. "Good for them" is what I would say. I just more want to disparage the idea in women's minds that men want models. We don't. We just want women of a healthy weight. Especially a health-nut like me, I'd prefer a woman who would share with me in a healthy active lifestyle for the rest of our lives than someone who would not.

I don't want women sitting here thinking they're not good enough...but just to disparage the myth. I think most of the women who replied on this topic are "skinny", "thin", or "healthy" in my eyes. So don't feel so pressured to look like an Adriana Lima. We men aren't setting our sights only on that.

Lots of beautiful women on this site to be honest.love

grkboy's photo
Wed 05/21/08 03:32 PM
I think "sick of the games" isn't just aimed at the playas out there (male and female ones) who choose to lie and lead someone on for their own ulterior motives, like the guy telling a girl he's falling for her until he gets laid when he moves on, or the girl acting all into a guy just to get free dinners and other stuff from him.

I also think "sick of the games" is aimed at those who play games on THEMSELVES. Like the men and women people meet who maybe aren't over an ex, so while after several dates and even some intimacy you think you found someone, he/she is suddenly telling you they're not feeling it and are running back to their ex to try again. That or even the ones who act all into you one moment, but then the next are all wishy-washy on you, maybe because they might have met a perceived "bigger better deal".

I hate games, flakiness, and indecisiveness as much as the next person, but it's part of life. When I was using dating sites as a means to meet women, I felt I shouldn't sit there in any fashion talking about people who hurt me in the past. All I'd be doing is showing I have baggage. I rather chose to present a friendly, fun, positive image of myself.

None of us can ever escape the games...but best thing is to really take things slow. Don't get into a rush to "seal the deal". Date, spend time together, let intimacy grow slowly. Many actual playas will lose patience and leave, the flakes will also get their issues all up in the air and thus move on. At least then you didn't get close to someone or give part of yourself to them before seeing who they really are.

grkboy's photo
Tue 05/20/08 04:00 PM
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UGLY!!!! sad

Do I get an Oscar? :wink:

grkboy's photo
Tue 05/20/08 09:18 AM

Yay! It's bike to work day today! I know it's a little late on here, but I'm still excited. I just hope a lot of people rode their bike. flowerforyou drinker flowerforyou drinker

Too cold today and too far from my home.

Sorry...but I do take Public Transportation and not drive.

grkboy's photo
Tue 05/20/08 09:17 AM
I say we kill them all, hand out flowers, and preach the message of World Peace. Burn the bras, free love, and no more shoes too!

JUST KIDDING. Honest.

I thank all our soldiers for their time, sacrifice, and dedication. While we are in difference of opinion as to what we have our soldiers do in terms of these "wars", I will never look down on them for the hard job they have.

Much love and support to our Armed forces. :heart:

grkboy's photo
Tue 05/20/08 09:13 AM
My money is on Obama. He's the lesser of three evils in my book.

Hilary comes off more as the same kind of lying politician that we've been seeing for the last eight years. Plus I still see that she's more in this for her own ego and ambition than any actual care about the country.

McCain I read his ideas, but I think he sold out too many of his own principles he's carried for so long to gain favor with the Republican Party and get the nomination. I personally see his stances and think this would just be a third term of GW Bush.

Obama is the only one who comes off to me as someone who wants to build better foreign relations, end this war in the Middle East, and put effort into the US as opposed to foreign policy.

grkboy's photo
Tue 05/20/08 08:37 AM
Nice :smile:

grkboy's photo
Mon 05/19/08 06:57 PM
Photography trick.

Makes the face and body seem tighter...especially in the face.

I will be the first to admit that pictures lie. They make people look bigger than they usually are. Sometimes you just have to do these little things to make yourself look more in the photo how you would look in real life.

I usually try not to be too judgmental on photos because of the trouble I've had trying to get a good photo of myself. So I'll see a little bit of chunky and more believe she will look thinner in person. I see some bad features in the face and more believe the camera is lying.

Most of the time I'm right. :wink:

grkboy's photo
Mon 05/19/08 03:23 PM

is there anyone who lives in southern illinois?? It seems like everyone from Illinoi is from chicago...

They should just rename the state to "Chicago" devil

grkboy's photo
Mon 05/19/08 03:21 PM

Is that good or bad?