Community > Posts By > Nyteflame

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:41 AM
I was under the impression that Absinth was something you couldn't get in the states.
I'm not familiar with it, but I believe I read that is is mildly halucinagenic? And apparently tastes like Licorice.

I admit to a little curiosity about this, now that you have brought it up.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:36 AM
For the most part, I use Facebook to keep in touch with my friends from back east. A plane ticket is a bit beyond my financial abilities just now, and we have all moved on since college, so our schedules rarely match up for a phone call. With Facebook, we can exchange messages fairly regularly, or just keep tabs on each other, without worrying about timezones and schedules. I know we could do all that with regular email too, but you can do other things on Facebook too, like play games, and share photos.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:32 AM
I can safely say that no, I have never experienced this. I have friends who have, and this video was VERY amusing to watch.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:21 AM
I make a pretty concentrated attempt to avoid outright arguments. I'm pretty non-confrontational. My brother an I occasionally snap at each other, usually because one or the other of us gets defensive about something. They never last long, and are quickly forgiven.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:15 AM
Dude, she needs someone with her. She's your friend. Do you want her to have to go through that alone? I wouldn't let any of my friends go through something that scary by themselves. It would be one thing if her family could attend her, but since they can't, and YOU CAN, then do it. Friends are supposed to be supportive, and she needs that support now.

Like a previous poster said, it's not like you have to see everything.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 09/06/09 10:07 AM
So, In other words, we are supposed to keep our messages to short, and to the point.

What about responses though...or a few messages down the line. Will length scare people away after you get a conversation going?

Nyteflame's photo
Tue 04/28/09 09:15 PM
I let my friends name my cars. My last one was Patches, because she was 5 different colors. My new Ford Fusion (well, new to me, she's 3 years old) doesn't have a name yet. No one has offered one.

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 04/18/09 04:21 PM
My favorite is the double decker from Foster Freeze. (Most people go there for ice cream, but their burgers are some of the best fast food I have had.)

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 04/18/09 04:14 PM
Edited by Nyteflame on Sat 04/18/09 04:14 PM
I have often heard that you can substitute yogurt for sour cream in many recipes. Does this work as well when you are using it as a topping (like on a baked potato) or is it more for things that have the yogurt cooked into it?

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 04/11/09 08:30 PM
I guess it depends on how messy the divorce was.
Divorce is one thing. A lot of Extra baggage (we all have some, I know) can be totally different (depending on circumstances).

Nyteflame's photo
Fri 04/10/09 08:48 AM

Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the goblin city to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me.

~Sarah's monologue~
Labyrinth

I used to have this movie memorized.(skipping a few scenes)

Sarah:What is it?

Jareth: It's a crystal, nothing more, but if you turn it this way and look into it, it will show you your dreams. Do you want it? Then forget about the baby.

Sarah:I can't. Don't you understand that I can't?

Jaraeth: Such a pity. You have thirteen hours in which to solve the labyrinth, or your baby brother becomes one of us forever! Such a pity

Sarah:The Labyrinth. It doesn't look that hard. Well...come on feet!

My contribution:
Specialization is for Insects

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Nyteflame's photo
Thu 04/09/09 11:05 PM
Short and humorous is best for almost any speech.

as far as stage fright goes: direct what you are saying to the groom. Mostly face him. That way, you aren't staring at the crowd.

Or, alternatively, you can direct it to the bride, as a warning about the groom :-)

Nyteflame's photo
Tue 04/07/09 10:14 PM
I read this one recently:

My friends over there bet me $20 that I wouldn't be able to get the prettiest girl in the room to talk to me. Wanna buy a few drinks with their money?

Nyteflame's photo
Tue 04/07/09 10:06 PM
The egg and the rabbit are hold overs from spring fertility rites of ancient religions. Most of Christianity's holidays were conveniently re-organized to coincide with pagan celebrations, so that the Christian religion would look more attractive to the ancients. The Church felt that people would be less likely to convert if they had to give up their traditional holidays.

Anyway, the Rabbit is promiscuous, and symbolizes the fertility of humans and livestock.
The egg symbolizes the young that come from fertile unions. (my personal speculation)
And flowers (tulips, buttercups, and crocuses are popular symbols of spring) probably symbolize the fertility of the fields.

Ok, I'm going to go shut my dorky self up now, and let you get back to your chocolate debate.
I'll take a dark chocolate rabbit, please?

Nyteflame's photo
Tue 04/07/09 09:59 PM
About half of my students are super sensitive about their middle names...some to the point of yelling at me for leaving the class roster out where other classmates might see it.

IN my experience, it tends to be girls that are the most sensitive about it.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 04/05/09 11:53 PM
You can get plain wax in blocks at most craft stores. Melt it (put an empty tin can in a pan of water, and turn the heat on so the water simmers. Put the wax pieces in the tin can. This way you dont mess up your pan)

You can make your wax any color you like by melting a crayon along with the plain wax.

I dont know if this is cheaper then buying ordinary candles, you will have to price it out.

Nyteflame's photo
Sun 04/05/09 07:53 AM
Made soup yesterday

Potatoes, carrots, onion, kale, spinach, rosemary, basil, and sausage. in a chicken broth.

Everything except the sausage and chicken broth was organic.

Nyteflame's photo
Sat 04/04/09 12:10 AM
Can't answer that question. Only..I know it will be older then 25 (my current age)....

Nyteflame's photo
Fri 04/03/09 03:35 PM
Towel Day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

Well, that and Halloween. I love costumes!

Nyteflame's photo
Fri 04/03/09 03:25 PM
I do NOT get why people say they would take matches...
A lighter is MUCH more practical, and if you can't have that, that Swedish fire steel stuff looks promising. Matches are just too unreliable.

A good, new lighter/Fire Steel
A good knife with a sheath (not a pocket knife, I want something that can double as a weapon!)
550 cord

A tarp would be nice too, but I think I have to stick with three?