Community > Posts By > chrish

chrish's photo
Wed 10/31/07 06:28 PM
The Macbook casing wears just fine.

Don't pay apples prices for extra RAM, its easy to install and can save you some pennies.

I've bought AppleCare on all my Macs, and have been grateful, for it on more than one occasion.

If your word processing, and surfing, you won't notice the difference between 2.16 and 2.4.

I think Macbooks look just a nice as a Macbook Pro, personally I love the Macbook keyboard.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Wed 10/31/07 06:24 PM
@Bloodyrose:

Yeah Crowley / Thelema style Magick... I've read a few of Crowleys writings: Book of the Law, Book of Lies and 777. I've also read quite a bit about Chaos Magick by people such as Phil Hine and Peter J. Carroll.

I'm aware of Anton Szador LaVey (is that hows it spelt?), I've read the Satanic Bible, but I cast a very skeptical eye over his works, the guy lied about his upbringing, and as far as I know, wrote for no reason other than money.

I find it all very interesting, and love having deep conversations about it (beats kicking the wing mirrors off of cars), but as I say, I'm no occultist, but I do keep an open mind.

I've not read the Battle Royale book, but I love the film. Have you seen / read / played Parasite Eve? I've seen bits, but me and a few friends are having a J-Horror evening, and thats one of the films we watching.

Any other J-Horror authors / books I should look out for? I'm going book shopping on the weekend and would love to add some to my list.

I think more UK people should post, but I think we need more threads too, perhaps and occult and J-Horror thread to save this one being hijacked.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Wed 10/31/07 07:58 AM
@bloodyrose:

Nope, "Magick" is the spelling used when referring to occult things. I'm open minded, and have read a few books, but I'm no where near being an occultist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magick

Battle Royale? Is that the book they adapted into a Japanese film about kids with guns? Cool film, not read the book, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I think a lot of British (I feel I should stand up and put my hand on my heart when I write that:tongue:) people lurk on the forums, but few post.
I'm glad one more does now though!

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Wed 10/31/07 07:53 AM
I can't believe no one has asked the most fundamental of questions when someone is choosing a computer!

"What will you be using it for?"

If your not going to be doing movie editing, gaming (I'm being serious) or high end graphics stuff, buy a Macbook, spend the money you've saved on a nice present for yourself!

New Macbooks are rumored soon:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

I've been a Mac user for many many years, and they are great computers, you won't be disappointed, and just shout it you need help with it.

Ta,

~C.

P.S. Currently time machine requires an external drive, but it should work with network drives soon.

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 04:24 PM
I'm sorry parents, you are no longer aware of what is good for your children or not, but worry not, big brother is here to guide you on your righteous path.

Seriously, if a parent buys their 14yr old a mature game, then its the parents who need punishing, out and out bans are never good.

The game has sooo much publicity in the UK now, and people are selling bootleg copies, to anyone including kids. I'm sure it would be better that shops who are at least partially responsible handled the selling of the game.

I'm sorry, censorship sucks.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 03:52 PM
Hey justfunuk,

Thanks for your kind words, I especially hate IT elitness, when people assume they know everything, and everything everyone else knows is wrong.

Infact its one of the only times I'll get annoyed, I'm a nice person really!

Anything your not clear on, start a thread in the IT forum, and I'll answer it best I can.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 02:56 PM
*waves back, then realises how camp his wave looked, and covers it up by smoothing what little hair he has*

Hey bloodyrose, yes its lonely, but at least you can have fun with echos...

BTW, on your profile, did you mean Magick, and what horror do you like reading, I'm after something new to get my teeth into.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 02:52 PM
You can use an online port scanner to see what ports are open on your computer...

Google says... http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/

Remember is takes a while for torrents to get up to speed.

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 09:17 AM
Hey sp1d3r!

Firstly please stop S H O U T I N G!

Secondly, I'm sure many of us are aware what a DLL file is, you right it's a dynamic link library. It is a binary file wrapper, that contains (most often) functions from the Win32 API. They are used so that a developer can abstract commonly used functions into a file and share that file.

Thirdly, its not call the system registry, just the registry.

Fourth, What the hell has DDoS got to do with anything?

Fifth, the system 32 folder store very little (if any) personal information, that is normally stored in the hidden fold Application Data, or some other path under a users own directory, or in the registry.

Sixth, You say "US HACKERS", I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe you could hack you way out of a wet paper bag. I've not met a single white/black hat in my life without a good command of the English language and basic netiquette, for one, as I'm sure your aware, its needed for the great deal of social engineering a hacker will have to carry out.

Please don't belittle people on public forums, its not nice, its just people asking for advice, and if you have nothing constructive to bring (which you don't), please don't bother.

Have a nice day.

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 09:05 AM
AMD give you more 'bang for your buck' but currently Intel are way ahead in terms of technology.

If money is no object, then go for a medium-high range Intel.

If your on a` budget go for an AMD.

Personally I always go for Intel, but I need virtualisation (which AMD only just started doing), and Intel make good chipsets for everything but graphics.

Thing will change, and in a few months it will all be completely different again, if not already.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 09:00 AM
Linux:
http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/research/ca/mrm/xmrm.html

Windows:
http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/

The windows program is bought to you by the guy who make the excellent Wink program, check it out!

Remember to say thanks, and buy them a beer if you find their software useful!

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 08:56 AM
Oh, one more thing...

It would be very nice to get away from the connotations that P2P file sharing is used mainly for illegal purposes.

Many thanks to the people who point our the legal ways in which they use it.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 08:54 AM
If your computer is behind a router that uses NAT (network address translation) then you need to explicitly state what machine is to receive what connections on specific ports or ranges of ports.

You need to find the IP Address of the machine running the BitTorrent client, and forward ports 6881-6889 (TCP) to the IP address of the machine.

Use your Google-Fu to search for a guide and include the make of your router, so search for something like this 'Port Forward Linksys'.

Bittorrent tries to be fair - so if your not uploading data to the swarm (which without the ports forwarded you won't be) you won't be able to download as quick.

Also be sure not to saturate your upload, set it to something like 20kbps (depending on your connection speed) as this will slow your download speed.

There are loads and loads of good guides on getting Bittorrent running properly on the web. Google is your friend.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 10/30/07 08:46 AM
Ok, firstly do not boot a Live CD (any distro) and delete the file! This can cause errors, such as the inability to run ANY .exe files. This happens because of the way malware embeds itself in your system, it can associate the .DLL file to be ran with any executable, or Windows Explorer etc etc.

You need to identify the piece of malware installed on your machine, and find a removal tool from the likes of Symantec or F-Secure.

I'm sure if you post the name of the malware, someone will post a link to a removal tool pretty quickly.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 05:16 PM
Not found anyone stupid enough to be with me... yet.

Also might be something to do with the fact I don't sell myself very well, and my sense of humor is an acquired taste.

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 04:51 PM
Just in case.

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 04:36 PM
So, we need a UK specific topic...

Where in the UK people from? Do many UK people read this forum?

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 03:57 PM
You don't need a parachute to go skydiving, you need a parachute to go skydiving twice.

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 10:16 AM
@ MormonMan26
Please don't talk down about the programs others use!
Who are you to say if boomansion has a clue or not?

Some might say that when you have 12 Years IT experience you wouldn't run windows! All of IT Pros with > 10yrs I know (about 50) don't run windows.

As a point of note, your profile says your 25, this means your started as an IT 'Professional' at the tender age of 13??!

I remember 1995 well, a year after Sir Tim Berners-Lee came up with Hypertext and created the WWW, HTTP traffic surpassed FTP traffic for the first time (in March i think - I remember reading about it on a BBS)!

Anyway, enough IT willy waving.

For the record, the best Firewall for Windows is CoreForce from
http://force.coresecurity.com/

Its a port of BSDs PF firewall, and will also monitor file changes etc, its what Windows security should be!

Also ClamWin for AV, Clam AV has the most up2date virus signatures, but it doesn't do real-time file scanning, which is a shame - you can emulate this behavior by using it with Coreforce, but explaining how to do so would take way too much room.

If you want something good, and easy to use, try F-Secure, its not free, but it is worth the money, one license will cover three machines.

Why are people so adversed to spending money on software?

chrish's photo
Mon 10/29/07 05:14 AM
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Ghandi
(Ghandi wasn't perfect, but he was smart.)

"The government that governs best is the government that governs least."
-Thomas Jefferson
(Shame no one listened - I'm not American, but it applys to most governments.)