Community > Posts By > chrish

chrish's photo
Wed 11/28/07 03:39 PM

I am looking for a hot uk boy.

Why?

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 01:52 PM
If its for a show, glue up all the USB drives on the machine. Remove all disk drives other than one HD.

Glue up ethernet port.

Set machine up.

Stand next to machine all show.

Take machine home again.

(I've seen this done!)

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 11:50 AM
If you can get physical access to the device, YOU CAN COPY IT.

If you use decent encryption, they WILL NOT be able to get access to the data in your lifetime (with current computing power).

Way it is I'm afraid. Anyone selling anything else is just selling Snake Oil.

Surely your problem is with people reading the data, not copying the files?

Just encrypt the files and you will be fine.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 11:27 AM
I have heard good things about: http://www.truecrypt.org/

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 11:26 AM
You won't be able to stop anyone copying the files from your USB drive, but you can prevent people reading them without a password.

Use a good standards based encryption program.

Take a look at:
http://scherrer.cc/crypt/
http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Disclaimer: I don't use these programs, my OS supports decent security out the box :tongue:.

REMEMBER encryption is USELESS without a SECURE password.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 11:22 AM
Defiantly an issue with CTRL sticking, wireless keyboard?

Sound advice to clean up your browsing history regularly, won't stop malware being installed on your box though.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 11:17 AM
Your use of *****s made me think you kept swearing. :tongue: laugh

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 04:10 AM
Linux will not run .EXE files (without wine, but thats irrelevant). This is not as big a problem as it seems.

Drivers are certainly not compatible (with the exception of NDIS wrappers - again irrelevant).

Most hardware devices will work with Linux out the box, especially something as modern as the nForce chipset.

May I ask how you are loading linux, and running the program?

By far the easiest thing to do, is set your computer to boot from CD (normally press F2 as the machine is showing its POST screen) and load the CD that way.

I'll leave netuserlla to explain that one :wink: - he is better at explaining these things than me.

I don't know why, but when I write things to non-techy people, I tend to lose the message. Perhaps I should work on that one.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 03:36 AM
Copyright infringement isn't theft. Its copyright infringement.

There is a huge difference.

All the publishers are doing by mis-labeling copyright infringement is making theft seem more socially acceptable.

mad

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 03:31 AM

Almost ALL new cell phones have a GPS in it, even if you dont know it. It was mandated in many states after 9/11 When traped people were calling for help and couldn't be located.

Not quite, they have never mandated such a thing.

I'm sure your government (and mine) would love it if we were tracked 24/7, but having a device with a battery that runs out and software issues, that could narrow your location to a few feet (which in rubble could translate to several tonnes) is much less useful than thermal cameras of dogs, or anything else service use to find people.

I'm sure you can appreciate that if they stopped looking for people once they got no more GPS signals (which require almost line of sight to the sky to work anyway), then there would be many poor souls left trapped due to a dud battery! noway

Also when the Twin Towers were coming down, I wonder how many people would have thought to grab their cell phone if it was on their desk. I know my cell phone would be the last thing on my mind.

There are however, stories about security services being able to record conversations from cell phones, even while the phone is off. Evidence gathered this way has recently been used in a case. For these devices to operate with out the phone switched on, they are most certainly bugs in the traditional sense of the work, with their own power-supplies etc.

The GPS listed on most phones isn't true GPS - it doesn't talk to a satellite, it uses a system called LBS (location based services) to roughly get your position from the nearest few cells, which all beacon out their area code. It will the triangulate your position from the cells you are in range off. It is not very accurate.

Their are cell phones with 'proper' GPS, such as the Nokia N95, turn on the GPS and see how long the batter lasts!

Ta,

~C/

chrish's photo
Mon 11/26/07 03:17 AM

I want to get a gps for my car. What are the good brands?

Garmin all the way, cheaper than TomTom, more accurate and easier to use.

FWIW - Garmin helped the US of A setup GPS in the first place.

TomTom have recently filed for some interesting patents. They will probably at some point put a little camera in the front of the GPS unit, and overlay direction onto a real time image of the road.

More modern TomTom units will remember you route, and when connected to your computer, upload details of them, they will then compare routes and learn quickest routes etc. This is only on the more expensive models, and carries some privacy concerns.

(This is relevant to the UK though - no idea about foreign models.)

chrish's photo
Fri 11/23/07 01:08 PM
I'm thrilled to bit you have decided to have a go with Ubuntu! drinker

If you like Solitaire, then you will love AisleRiot Solitaire.

You can play it while it installs (if you choose to install it) :smile:.

Please let us know how you get on!

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Fri 11/23/07 11:51 AM
A DLL is just the same as an executable (same file format, can contain code, data and resources). Their is no YES or NO for DLL compatibility.

An OCX file is they same as a DLL, but commonly contains ActiveX controls.

If a DLL / OCX links other libraries, and they are found on the OS, then they will work. If they are not found, they won't work.

Wine tries to implement the Win32 API (set of DLL and OCX files) in Linux. Its not an emulator, it tries to simulate the environment.

For instance, if a program expects the DLL and OCX files ADOX supplies, and these haven't been installed with Wine, then they program will not run. If I recall correctly, ADOX was installed with IE5 and if you remember, spawned a lot of programs requiring IE5 to be installed before they would work.

My first job after college was writing installations for various pieces of software. This brings back a lot of bad memories about DLL hell, I'm going to sit in the corner and cry now. sad

----

@HillFolk - What netuserila is trying to say is that Linux is compatible with most all file formats Windows programs commonly use. It is not binary compatible, in fact their are some programs Wine will not run. But most of your documents (be they, Word, Excel, Images, Music etc etc) will open natively, depending on your distribution.

If I recall correctly Netuserila recommends Ubuntu, and this is a damn fine idea! I recommend you download a copy, you can try it without having to install it, and check it is compatible with your documents.

If you need a specific file format to open in Linux, please don't give up! Ask in the forums and I'm sure someone will help quite quickly.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Thu 11/22/07 04:37 PM
Actually, I think I'll add more.

I wasn't laughing at you, I had (and still have) a genuine difficulty understanding what you have been writing, you still haven't answered my question about whether I am correct or not in my translation.

Maybe I have difficulty because I'm stupid, or maybe its because English isn't your first language. That is for other people reading this thread to decide. Thats the beauty of forums, they provide a platform that allows people to make up their own minds.

Perhaps adding a splash of punctuation would help?

Either way, if you are trying to communicate with people on a written forum, and if you can, it just looks better, and is easier to read if you at least spell some words correctly.

Whether you wish to blame: society, the Queen, Bush, Education or anything else. People will build an opinion of you from the way you write. I'm not the one to say whether its right or wrong but, a lot of people will take the way you write as a reflection on your self.

Either way, I will reiterate my point:

I have no problem with you but I do think it was out of order how you were rude to OTHER PEOPLE in this forum. Especially as they were trying to HELP YOU!

By all means say what you will about me, I actually genuinely do not care. This does not mean one should excuse bad manners to other people.

If you look at my previous posts, you will see I try to help people wherever I can (or maybe ask a question myself). If I can't bring anything to the discussion, then I won't post. I would implore you to do the same.

I am not laughing at you, I find nothing about you funny.

I am bored of this now, and will no longer reply to your posts in this thread. By all means if you wish to carry this on send me a mail.

Change your attitude, and I will gladly help you (as best I can) get started in web development.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Thu 11/22/07 04:12 PM
Two points:

Firstly, don't call people lamers for making a suggestion about something you know NOTHING about! If you do, then be prepared to have people not be too nice to you.

Secondly, I would like to draw your attention to the part in my post where I said:

"I'm assuming English isn't your first language, I'm not having a go at you about spelling."

chrish's photo
Thu 11/22/07 01:39 AM
Do you ride a motorcycle?

chrish's photo
Wed 11/21/07 09:33 AM
To be honest, I know nothing about game programming.

Probably the best place to start would be Googles Book Search.

Try this link:
http://books.google.com/books?q=game+programming

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Wed 11/21/07 08:08 AM
Edited by chrish on Wed 11/21/07 08:11 AM

ty so much never siad that im a succesor or skoller but simple put vb6 is a main aplet form basic to most but the format is realy very complickated but it dous the job form what i need yea but what you froly dont know is ther is short form and fast form why you may ask LOOK IT UP MORON c++ serves its perpose as well but i find vb more usfull and bendable and also reliable so go stick some more code up your ass shrish

Before I respond to this, I want to make sure I understand it correctly. Can you please let me know if I have translated this correctly? I'm assuming English isn't your first language, I'm not having a go at you about spelling.

Thank you so much.

I never said that I'm a successful programmer or scholar. I simply put that, VB6 is a main applet form of basic to most people. The format is really very complicated but it does the job for what I need.

What you probably don't know is there are short forms and fast forms. You may ask why. LOOK IT UP MORON! C++ serves its purpose as well. I find VB more useful and bendable. It is also reliable.

Go stick some more code up your ass chrish

I'm the first to admit that my English or code isn't perfect, but hopefully this makes things a bit clearer.

chrish's photo
Tue 11/20/07 10:51 AM
We obviously can't be trusted to make our own decisions, but to be fair, when you look at society, its easy to see why they could think that.

No excuse for removing yet another right though.

chrish's photo
Tue 11/20/07 10:44 AM
hi