Community > Posts By > chrish

chrish's photo
Tue 11/20/07 03:00 AM
Dell Latitude C600 is a laptop.

Fortunately, most (if not all) laptop CD drives (including burners, dvd drive etc etc) conform to a standard.

I can't see you having a problem, but post a link to the drive you want to purchase first, and I'm sure someone will have a look.

If you want to play it very safe, you could but an external CD drive. You shouldn't have any problems running one on > Windows 98.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Tue 11/20/07 01:45 AM
Don't get me wrong, learn to program in most any language is great, once you have learnt to program, turning your hand to another language is much easier (as long as you don't get into any bad habits).

What kind of programming do you want to do?

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:09 AM
I'm a Cranky Old Yank, in a Clanky Old Tank, on the Streets of Yokahama with My Honolulu Mama, Doing Those Beat-o, Beat-o, Flat on My Seat-o, Hirohito Blues - Between the Sheets..

I'm not very good at this :cry:

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 10:02 AM
Clenching the Fists of Dissent - Between the Sheets

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 09:41 AM
Catatonic - Between the sheets.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 09:23 AM
Felbomlasztott mentőkocsi - between the sheets.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 08:13 AM
Oh, Win32 (heh, they're still on 32 :tongue:) only.

Nevermind,

~C

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 05:10 AM
Whereas Frontpage really really sucked, I've heard good things about the new version.

I'd be interested to see the kind of code it kicks out, and would appreciate a link once you've finished playing with it, and uploaded something.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 05:08 AM
I've never used it, but thanks for bringing it to my attentions, I'll check it out.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Mon 11/19/07 04:37 AM
I think your trying to define love, which is a tricky thing to do.

Love has many contexts, for example:

I love tea and biscuits. (Rule Britannia!)
I love my sister.
I love kittens.
She is rubbish at tennis, the score is 40 love.

To add even more confusion, love can been easily confused with infatuation, lust or eating a large amount of chocolate.

I reckon, that the definition of love differs for everyone, and it would probably help you more if people would write their definition of love (some already have, and its interesting reading - thanks).

In short, a lot of people who have posted before me are correct, if you have to ask, then your not in love.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 01:00 PM
Seriously, if your mature enough to handle it, why not.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 12:58 PM
Edited by chrish on Fri 11/16/07 01:00 PM
Write, "inter-work relationships are a bad idea" on a piece of paper.

Leave the photocopier copying for three days.

Cover every wall in your house with the paper.

You'll soon realize.

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 12:57 PM
Put photocopier in stationary cupboard.

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 12:55 PM
Soundproof the stationary cupboard.

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 12:52 PM
Reinforce the photocopier.

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 09:16 AM

Yes I know computer have open ports, I'm using OS X and yes I'm aware it could be vulnerable too

One problem with the OSX firewall, is that although it appears all ports are close, Root (UID 0) is still allowed to run processes that open ports. While not a problem in itself, its a bit misleading.

For monitoring outbound connections, I recommend Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html).

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 02:14 AM

Any deleted file is recoverable, unless the drive has been wiped over X amount of times.

Absolutely, secure delete programs simply write over the space the file was occupied N times.

Commonly they will write 0s but they should write random data.

This doesn't mean the file will be unrecoverable, there are scientists out there who are doing all sorts of things I don't understand to recover data.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Fri 11/16/07 02:11 AM

VB6!?!?! 1998 called, they want their programming language back.

VB6 is still a nice language. I use it when I need to do a quick fix. We are primarily a C sharp shop now, but we still have a lot of legacy VB6 apps that must be maintained.

VB6 like all tools has a job, and serious development isn't one of them. You say yourself you use it to maintain legacy code, but your probably better off not developing an application from scratch in it.

Even more so in this day and age.

This is of course, my opinion, and many other people opinions, while just as valid, will disagree.

I don't want to start a programming language flame war. :smile:

chrish's photo
Thu 11/15/07 10:23 AM
Edited by chrish on Thu 11/15/07 10:24 AM
Hi sp1d3r,

Nice to see you haven't lost your vernacular skills. laugh

Totage made a valid point about using a script such PhpBB, using an "off the shelf package" is perfectly valid. If you look at the blogs of many web developers, you would see they use (mainly) Wordpress, which is "off the shelf". Its not lame, its called not re-inventing the wheel.

VB6!?!?! 1998 called, they want their programming language back.

Knowing VB6 does not qualify you as a developer. It carries no real OOP functionality such as inheritance, or name spaces.

A clue to the lameness is in the name BASIC, its an acronym for BEGINNER'S All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

You a beginner?

So you've made over 20 programs? How many ways are there to say "Hello World!".

Writing code that comes out of your head is fine for small projects, but any developer worth their salt will tell you that anything more than a simple application will require a level of planning.

No other programmer could out do your work? I'll rise to the challenge, post some code, and I will re-factor and improve it, any language, even VB6 which I don't use.

It is also apparent you can't find the distinction between the presentation layer (HTML), Middleware (PHP) and Backend (MySQL). This is a basic concept in developing web apps. Assuming you can just have a form, and it automagically updates a page, is a ridiculous concept.

The closest you can get is using a framework that supports scaffolding such as RoR (which this site is written in) or CakePHP. Unfortunately your will need to familiarize yourself with some development concepts such a MVC, CRUD and ORM. Seeing as you have difficulty in grasping basic concepts, I don't see much hope for you.

You HTML sucks, you should separate the content from the presentation using CSS. Also using uppercase POST without and kind of quotes isn't compliant with the xHTML 1.1 Strict standard.

Of course, if you maybe calmed down a bit; wrote your questions clearly and concisely and stopped insulting people who are trying to help; someone might help you.

In short, be nice, and people will help. Keep acting as you are, and no one will help, and someone will call you out for the lamer you really are.

Ta,

~C

P.S. "off the shelf" is just my term for pre-written code, its normally open source, so there isn't really a shelf.

P.P.S. I would say I qualify as a reasonable developer, I know PHP, Perl, Python, SQL, (x)HTML, Java, Javascript (both MS and ANSI standard). I have worked as a developer for over 8 years, and have worked on code for some large companies, including insurance companies and vehicle manufactures. I have written internet coms systems, desktop applications, and website backends. I have worked all over the UK, Holland and Australia.

P.P.P.S. I hope I haven't just been trolled.:wink:

chrish's photo
Thu 11/15/07 08:30 AM

How many did you find? Please post your results. I am going to test a windows PC from my network later and post the results.

For it to be a fair test, every time you test a machine ensure it is set as the DMZ on your router.

BTW... Steve Gibson sucks, he knows little about computer security, he is an out dated and out moded ASM programmer, who uses scare stories to get published. He seems to surround himself with sycophants who hang on his every word.

Do not trust this guy (Steve Gibson) with you security! I read a paper written by a real security professional about how Shields Up is flawed, I'll dig it out.

For the record, use a decent port scanner such as nmap, its surprising what ports appear closed with traditional port scanner but are actually open when you change the scan type.

It is also important to know what services are running on each port, this is where you will find most of your vulnerabilities.

In short, just because Shields Up says your ok, you might not be!

I've (with permission) taken over machines by sending an email with a malformed WMF, and Animated Cursor (XP Pro), Shield Up could not have known I would do this! The machine was running Norton AV, and I got straight in, Outlook was running in the background, and just retrieved my mail, crashed, and I had a remote shell with full system privileges. I was connected to their lan, which was secured with a WEP Key (64bit). It took me less then 9minutes to crack the WEP Key with two laptops.

On a similar not, how do you know what you software is doing, is it downloading updates? Will this introduce new vulnerabilities?

Mac users need to be just as careful, I remember recently am exploit that used the WiFi driver on Macs, and the attacker just needed to be within range of the Mac in question.

Ta,

~C.