chrish's photo
Wed 08/27/08 03:49 PM
who?

chrish's photo
Wed 08/27/08 02:04 PM
Wow, this thread is still here...

chrish's photo
Sun 03/30/08 10:20 AM
Yep, journaling file system will log a change before its written to disk, so if there are are any discrepancies the changes can be re-done.

It normally works well, but sometimes, very rarely it can go horribly wrong.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Thu 03/27/08 11:39 AM

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It's basically optimizing your website for all the search engines. Search engines work with little robots called "spiders". They crawl around the net and look at tags in your code called, "meta tags". In these meta tags you'll have keywords, and from there, the spider looks for those keywords in your code. However, your site can get banned from search engines if you are found to be cheating and using the words out of context, or one after the other. You can find tutorials on SEO all over the net, just run a google search on it.

Spiders haven't done any more than glance at meta tags for almost 8 years.

There are many thing to covers with regards to SEO.

Word density
Markup
Title tags
Semantic site structure
Sitemaps
Reciprocal links

The list goes on and on and on and on.....

There is no SEO golden bullet.

Try these two links for some more info (found via Google, dunno if they're good or not):
http://forums.seochat.com/
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Thu 03/27/08 11:29 AM
Remember, the web has standards, so should you!

Please please please develop to the most current version of the standards. If you can't write xHTML + CSS by hand, then you shouldn't be making websites (with software or not).

Also, if your not aware of the principles of secure programing, do not do web development.

I'm sick and tired of picking up the pieces after dodgy developers / designers. Its turning into my full time job!

:smile: Rant over. :smile:

Ta,

~C

P.S. Cheap hosts are normally cheap for a reason.

chrish's photo
Wed 03/26/08 09:29 AM

I had a powercut :cry:

chris@dojo:~$ uname -a
Linux dojo.********.co.uk 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 24 16:41:07 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
chris@dojo:~$ uptime
17:44:14 up 39 days, 5:11, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
chris@dojo:~$

Bummer. Why aren't you using a UPS? Better question, aren't you concerned of the havoc it will cause your hard drive partitions when it improperly dismounts from a power loss?

My UPS shuts my Linux box down nicely. I think I get approximately 8 minutes runtime without power.

Yes I cam concerned about the state it'd leave the filesystem in, which is why I have a UPS. drinker

Ta,

C.

chrish's photo
Tue 03/25/08 10:25 AM
I had a powercut :cry:

chris@dojo:~$ uname -a
Linux dojo.********.co.uk 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Mon Dec 24 16:41:07 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
chris@dojo:~$ uptime
17:44:14 up 39 days, 5:11, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
chris@dojo:~$

chrish's photo
Wed 03/05/08 11:29 AM
me == geek

chrish's photo
Wed 03/05/08 11:26 AM

if all your concerned about is it acting slow, it's not the ram, it's all the security crap they put on it but you just shut it off in the security setting and it runs every bit as fast as xp does if not faster. but then again i also have 4gb ram and a 2.6 core 2 duo processor. my desktop has had vista for a while now with no problems at all but it's got 8gb ram and a 2.6 core 2 quad processor in both towers.

What a waste putting a ****ty OS that can't handle multiple cores properly, and won't use any ram above 4GB (properly).

I reckon I could set a machine up with ArchLinux and half the spec of yours and get it to run as quick for most everything except perhaps encoding video.
http://www.archlinux.org/

Ta,

C.

chrish's photo
Thu 02/28/08 10:36 AM

who cares, =) the only way to get a virus is by accepting it... simple as that

Not true remember Blaster?
(http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081113-0229-99)

There are even cases of machines (and iPods) shipping with viruses installed.

Ta,

~C

Whoops i forgot, =) oh well im due for a reformat anyway ha ha ha aha lol

I love the way Windows users just accept the fact they have to reload their machines every now and again.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Thu 02/28/08 05:29 AM

ctrl alt delete

Great comic!

chrish's photo
Thu 02/28/08 05:29 AM

who cares, =) the only way to get a virus is by accepting it... simple as that

Not true remember Blaster?
(http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081113-0229-99)

There are even cases of machines (and iPods) shipping with viruses installed.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Thu 02/28/08 05:25 AM

Oh, one of my engineering professors was one of the guys that built the first super computer with transistors I believe.

You went to University in Manchester, UK?

chrish's photo
Wed 02/27/08 09:17 AM
Windows or Microsoft have done more to hold computing back than anyone else.

The biggest breakthrough in computing is the Transistor. It took computing from the big old huge punch card machines (Analog Computing), to something similar to what we have today (Digital Computing).

Many people believe that the transition to Quantum Computing will be as a big a leap again.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Wed 02/27/08 07:30 AM

:heart: :heart: :heart: MACS :heart: :heart: :heart:

I use and love Macs, but I believe our time is coming. Apple is a lot better at security (or adapting BSDs security) than Micro$oft, but they're not infallible.

There is nothing worse then being apathetic towards security because you believe noting can happen to you because your on a Mac.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Wed 02/27/08 07:28 AM

even if everything is donr through paypal. where they say they are secure. I just transfer money thier when i want and most merchants have a paypal symbol that all i do is give my email address and they do it all. So when a bank says secure and a lock shows up in my browser are you saying i still am not secure to say Paypal? Thanks..Miles

Most [mal/spy/crime]ware actually monitors the keys pressed on your keyboard.

The letter you hit on your keyboard are not encrypted, so even if the website is secure they can still get your username and password by monitoring the keys your press when logging into the website.

So willy_cents is quite correct.

I'm more than happy to pay for decent virus protection. I must admit that I rarely go for internet security[\i] suites because I am NATed behind a decent router/firewall, and on a properly configured network.

Ta,

~C

chrish's photo
Tue 02/26/08 01:02 PM

You know everyone is going to think I am crazy. May Be. But all the time I have owned a computer i have got infections here and thier and have to reformatt my hard drive. About 3 months ago i said the heck with it after reformatting I took all my virus spyware hacker stuff off. You know what. My computer runs faster,better and i have not had one single problem with it. Why is That? Miles

Because you are blissfully unaware that your online banking / shopping details etc etc etc are fly around the interweb.

Try http://f-secure.com not free, but quick and good.

Ta,

~C.

chrish's photo
Mon 02/25/08 10:33 AM

Thank you all for your help. I have tried the Handbreak one but sadly I could not figure it out...lol. I am aware of the protection crap on normal DVDS but the one I want back on my computer is one that I have already downloaded and burnt already. So I am knowing there is no protection issues here. I will try the DVD-decrypter. Thanks all.

If you have downloaded and burnt the DVD already then I doubt there is any encryption on the disk.

Ta,

~C

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 15 16