Community > Posts By > MiddleEarthling

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 07:42 PM

By Bishop Gene Robinson

"Posted: October 15, 2010 02:49 PM

How Religion Is Killing Our Most Vulnerable Youth

An increasingly popular bumper sticker reads, "Guns Don't Kill People -- RELIGION Kills People!" In light of recent events I would add religion kills young people: gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender young people.

Perhaps not directly, though. And religion is certainly not the only source of anti-gay sentiment in the culture. But it's hard to deny that religious voices denouncing LGBT people contribute to the atmosphere in which violence against LGBT people and bullying of LGBT youth can flourish.

The news is filled with the tragedies of teenaged boys who were gay and decided to end their living hell by committing suicide. Maybe they weren't even gay, but merely perceived to be by their peers, who harassed, taunted, and threatened them unmercifully.

These were real kids with real names. Asher Brown, an eighth grader in Texas, shot himself in the head after endless bullying by classmates and despite attempts by his parents to get school authorities to take his harassment seriously. Seth Walsh hung himself from a tree in his California backyard after relentless bullying by classmates. Asher and Seth were 13-years-old.

Billy Lucas, a 15-year-old high school freshman from Indiana, was only perceived to be gay. But the unrelenting bullying ended with him taking his own life. Seven students in one Minnesota school district have taken their own lives, including three teens.

With the exception of Brown in Texas these suicides are not happening in Bible Belt regions of the country, where we might predict a greater-than-usual regard for religious thought. Instead, they are occurring in states perceived to be more liberal on LGBT issues: California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Rhode Island.

The case of Tyler Clementi is especially instructive about how far we have to go in accepting our gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender children. Clementi was an 18-year-old freshman at Rutgers University whose roommate secretly filmed a sexual encounter he had with another male student and then posted it on the internet.

Think about it. If Tyler had been heterosexual and instead filmed having sex with his girlfriend, it would still be an inappropriate invasion of his privacy and tasteless to post the video online. And it certainly would have been embarrassing for Tyler and the girl. But chances are he would have been the recipient of some congratulatory remarks from friends about what a stud he was. And if he was straight he likely wouldn't have contemplated -- not to mention successfully accomplished -- his own suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge.

No, Tyler was a victim -- not of an inner disturbance of depression or mental illness--but of an external and in part religiously inspired disdain and hatred of gay people.

Despite the progress we're making on achieving equality under the law and acceptance in society for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, why this rash of bullying, paired with self-loathing, ending in suicide? With humility and heartfelt repentance I assert that religion -- and its general rejection of homosexuality -- plays a crucial role in this crisis.

Religious Right hatemongers and crazies are spewing all sorts of venom and condemnation, all in the name of a loving God. The second-highest-ranking Mormon leader, Boyd K. Packer, recently called same-sex attraction "impure and unnatural" in an act of unspeakable insensitivity at the height of this rash of teen suicides. He declared that it can be cured, and that same-sex unions are morally repugnant and "against God's law and nature."

More....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bishop-gene-robinson/how-religion-is-killing-o_b_764568.html

Funny I don't remember how any of these deaths were in any way related to Christianity or members of a church.Blaming Christians for these deaths has nothing to do with anything.What is your big mouth going to say if I told you the people that set up these cameras were Atheist?

Tsk,Tsk,Tsk.
can you prove they were atheist,along with your god and messiah

Ha, they don't need anymore than their faith and their book to cling to. These are cowards who will not face facts..face life. It's overwhelming the hatred that comes from the religious right wing nut-baggery. Just the ignorances are enough to poison a society then their "messengers" who taunt gays and others for the way they were born add to the demise of a civil and just society.

I for one will not accept hate groups like churches that preach hate and ignorances that harm people. I also don't accept these "not me" Christians who then turn a blind eye to their leader's words and actions.

THIS is how people like Hitler and the Dippic were supported into power...ALL from Christians who think they are doing "god's work".

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 07:26 PM
But I have proof!

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:47 PM
Edited by MiddleEarthling on Sun 10/17/10 06:51 PM

And what does this have to do with any form of religion? It is about a lizard that runs on water. Yes it can be related with Jesus walking on the water. But no discussion was mentioned in the posting, only the video of the lizard.

Doesn't the bible teach humour? Is there no humour allowed in religion? Come to think of it I have read no comedy in the bible at all...tragic or otherwise.

This is "General Religion Chat". Not "General Religion Humour"

This is a forum for civilized serious discussions on the religion beliefs amongst the world. For there is nothing funny about any religions or people's religious beliefs.

So, there's no humour allowed in religion then..Egads! And I often chat humorously...and no, you guys have your little private forums where you can lie to each other and play pretend world all you want.

I think this is funny...for it is as true to me as your human Jesus is to you. I'll defend my right to worship a lizard...to the last fly!

Making humour of someone's beliefs is degrading and insulting. And nevertheless this is a forum for discussion. This is not a humour forum.

slaphead

When people take religions that seriously we get this:

Now is it unfunny enough for you?

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:42 PM
He may be serious..I didn't know he was a Thumper..I figured as an atheist for sure he'd be kidding but not sure now. At least he's not like POX by calling on people to do these hateful deeds.

Here's some answers from an interview with him:

"Who are your heroes in real life?

Let’s go with Jesus. Not the gay-hating, war-making political tool of the right, but the outcast, subversive, supreme adept who preferred the freaks and lepers and despised and doomed to the rich and powerful. The man Garry Wills describes “with the future in his eyes … paradoxically calming and provoking,” and whom Flannery O’Connor saw as “the ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of [one’s] mind.”

"Which living person do you most despise?"

"Very tough question. They exist in the realm of war profiteers. These men and women are the lowest form of human consciousness, truly and completely spiritually Phucked. Theirs is an amazing satanic dance: create a new market with war, bar competitors from the aftermath, then pay your own companies at a cost-plus basis, which guarantees profits, all at the taxpayers’ expense. They are the biggest welfare freaks on the planet."

http://jesus-h-biscuit.livejournal.com/tag/john%20cusack%20is%20my%20jesus

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:23 PM
Edited by MiddleEarthling on Sun 10/17/10 06:30 PM

And what does this have to do with any form of religion? It is about a lizard that runs on water. Yes it can be related with Jesus walking on the water. But no discussion was mentioned in the posting, only the video of the lizard.

Doesn't the bible teach humour? Is there no humour allowed in religion? Come to think of it I have read no comedy in the bible at all...tragic or otherwise.

This is "General Religion Chat". Not "General Religion Humour"

This is a forum for civilized serious discussions on the religion beliefs amongst the world. For there is nothing funny about any religions or people's religious beliefs.

So, there's no humour allowed in religion then..Egads! And I often chat humorously...and no, you guys have your little private forums where you can lie to each other and play pretend world all you want.

I think this is funny...for it is as true to me as your human Jesus is to you. I'll defend my right to worship a lizard...to the last fly!

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:17 PM

I'm pretty certain the Pro-Illegal is Demonrat, BHO

And, thank God he was persistent in his lies to grant them amnesty.
man i think your not thinking on the samething.i'll admit obama has his issues but he tried something with healthcare,what did the republicans do? also on our border control,what did bush do? seriously look at the 2 issues i typed about and where did the money go?to the iraqi war,case and point

The day before 9-11:

"Rumsfeld Says 2.3 Trillion Missing From Pentagon on 9/10/01."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwCRuwJc34

MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

But again I think the nutjobs again have their priorities mixed up...ya think?

middle please do not type donald rumsfeld he is the biggest piece of crap that has ever wasted breathing our oxygen,didn't he and tony blair have a "do me like you do the american people,screw them/me hard" please he is the founder of the iraqi war,i hate that mother****er

HEY, here's a pic for your collection:

To the OP: Sir, I had no intend on disrupting or hyjacking this hot button issue. RK and I were just pointing out that there are other problems bigger than this issue. My apologies sir.

Back on track then. Let's review!

Your solution to undocumented workers is to throw them out and build a wall...oh and throw companies into prison for employing them.

Okay then...if we do this then Americans will have to work for minium wage. Go ahead...see how that buys you and your family food and shelter.

Let me know how that goes.

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:07 PM

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:04 PM
By Bishop Gene Robinson

"Posted: October 15, 2010 02:49 PM

How Religion Is Killing Our Most Vulnerable Youth

An increasingly popular bumper sticker reads, "Guns Don't Kill People -- RELIGION Kills People!" In light of recent events I would add religion kills young people: gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender young people.

Perhaps not directly, though. And religion is certainly not the only source of anti-gay sentiment in the culture. But it's hard to deny that religious voices denouncing LGBT people contribute to the atmosphere in which violence against LGBT people and bullying of LGBT youth can flourish.

The news is filled with the tragedies of teenaged boys who were gay and decided to end their living hell by committing suicide. Maybe they weren't even gay, but merely perceived to be by their peers, who harassed, taunted, and threatened them unmercifully.

These were real kids with real names. Asher Brown, an eighth grader in Texas, shot himself in the head after endless bullying by classmates and despite attempts by his parents to get school authorities to take his harassment seriously. Seth Walsh hung himself from a tree in his California backyard after relentless bullying by classmates. Asher and Seth were 13-years-old.

Billy Lucas, a 15-year-old high school freshman from Indiana, was only perceived to be gay. But the unrelenting bullying ended with him taking his own life. Seven students in one Minnesota school district have taken their own lives, including three teens.

With the exception of Brown in Texas these suicides are not happening in Bible Belt regions of the country, where we might predict a greater-than-usual regard for religious thought. Instead, they are occurring in states perceived to be more liberal on LGBT issues: California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Rhode Island.

The case of Tyler Clementi is especially instructive about how far we have to go in accepting our gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender children. Clementi was an 18-year-old freshman at Rutgers University whose roommate secretly filmed a sexual encounter he had with another male student and then posted it on the internet.

Think about it. If Tyler had been heterosexual and instead filmed having sex with his girlfriend, it would still be an inappropriate invasion of his privacy and tasteless to post the video online. And it certainly would have been embarrassing for Tyler and the girl. But chances are he would have been the recipient of some congratulatory remarks from friends about what a stud he was. And if he was straight he likely wouldn't have contemplated -- not to mention successfully accomplished -- his own suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge.

No, Tyler was a victim -- not of an inner disturbance of depression or mental illness--but of an external and in part religiously inspired disdain and hatred of gay people.

Despite the progress we're making on achieving equality under the law and acceptance in society for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, why this rash of bullying, paired with self-loathing, ending in suicide? With humility and heartfelt repentance I assert that religion -- and its general rejection of homosexuality -- plays a crucial role in this crisis.

Religious Right hatemongers and crazies are spewing all sorts of venom and condemnation, all in the name of a loving God. The second-highest-ranking Mormon leader, Boyd K. Packer, recently called same-sex attraction "impure and unnatural" in an act of unspeakable insensitivity at the height of this rash of teen suicides. He declared that it can be cured, and that same-sex unions are morally repugnant and "against God's law and nature."

More....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bishop-gene-robinson/how-religion-is-killing-o_b_764568.html

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45yabrnryXk

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 05:40 PM

I'm pretty certain the Pro-Illegal is Demonrat, BHO

And, thank God he was persistent in his lies to grant them amnesty.
man i think your not thinking on the samething.i'll admit obama has his issues but he tried something with healthcare,what did the republicans do? also on our border control,what did bush do? seriously look at the 2 issues i typed about and where did the money go?to the iraqi war,case and point

The day before 9-11:

"Rumsfeld Says 2.3 Trillion Missing From Pentagon on 9/10/01."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwCRuwJc34

MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

But again I think the nutjobs again have their priorities mixed up...ya think?

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 05:19 PM

I'm pretty certain the Pro-Illegal is Demonrat, BHO>

Short memory eh?

Bush Amnesty Sparks Surge in Border Crossings

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,111818,00.html

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 05:10 PM
What is this Yahoo Answers?

Best answer:

"Salvation - The state of being saved or preserved from harm"

People need salvation from this book:

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 05:05 PM

Quit givin' up all our services to illegals and anchor brats and we could care for our own.

I'd like to see names of companies that work illegals min. wage hangin' Sheetrock.

Probably some of the same companies* that pour money into the GOP/T-baggers coffers to continue corporate control of the GOP left in congress...the GOP are not going to throw millions of people out of the US...but I guess they think that as long as they fool some of the people some of the time.

* some foreign companies/countries now.

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 04:43 PM

if i'm not mistaken illegals have been here through republican and democrat presidents,really don't see the point in this

It's an election year and this subject appeals to their hate base...pretty simple. We all know there's no easy answer to this issue so it's all just politics.

yeah we 'vote them in" but yet has any of them really represented us(the american people) hell no,so really what is the point...lol

The only "point" I stick to is that we cannot go back to what got us here...no GD way.

Just saw 60 Minute's piece on homeless vets...don't see the T-bagger's outrage over the plight of a quarter million homeless vets on the streets...many of them with addiction problems...out of about 850 people who showed up for rehab only 68 were allowed into the program...not enough beds or resources.

I guess some people have their priorities screwed up.

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 04:24 PM

if i'm not mistaken illegals have been here through republican and democrat presidents,really don't see the point in this

It's an election year and this subject appeals to their hate base...pretty simple. We all know there's no easy answer to this issue so it's all just politics.

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 03:37 PM

The IAP are WAY to extreme. I could never vote for one.

She will help Brown by shaving off a few votes from the GOP Corporate Candidate....Meg Whitman.

"Chelene Nightingale Calls For Integrity As Whitman Is Accused Of Hiring Illegal Immigrant Housekeeper

September 29, 2010

Palmdale, California - Chelene Nightingale, the American Independent Party's candidate for Governor in 2010, is an outspoken advocate for strong illegal immigration reform – as well as clear and significant penalties for those in this country who hire illegal immigrants as workers.

Meg Whitman has been campaigning throughout the state saying that she wants to fine employers that hire illegal immigrants"

~~~

"The California Black Republican Women's Council is pleased to announce the endorsement of Chelene Nightingale for California Governor.."

LOL...what a powerful endorsement!

I see why the OP did not reference her site's link...lol

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 10:05 AM

.T-baggers not mostly racist morons?

You do not know me or the millions of tea party folks.

Why would you attack me with degrading names?

There's no personal attack against any one individual, just the racist moron speaking at your little T-bag party. Tho~ overall the T-bag party is full of ignorant racist morons but that's up to the individual to decide if they are themselves ingorant racist morons.

I report you decide.

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 08:18 AM

The new psychiatric diagnostic manual (DSM-V) identifies a new mental illness called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD. Defined as an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

would not every politician fall into this category?

would not practically all world leader's fall into this category?

these the most important, as they ENFORCE THE LAW, or in essence, HAVE THE POWER TO LOCK UP, AND SUBJECT TO TREATMENT, those deemed to be of "mental disorder"?

what if there be good reason to be upset?

many white folk were extremely "negative" over seeing authority being biased, "easily annoyed" WITH INJUSTICE, "hostile" toward racist, and argumentative over black folk being tortured?

these all had mental disorder's?

of course, we know they DID NOT, but rather THOSE THAT TRIED TO IMPLY, CONDEM, ABUSE, RESTRICT, IMPRISON, ARREST THESE WANTED THE "PEOPLE" TO THINK SO?

many were annoyed, defiant, "agitated on an ongoing basis", over "witches" being deemed worthy of death?

many are and were agitated, hostile toward, negative, and argumentative about gay's being tortured, beaten, abused, and deemed as an inferior species?

yes, ALL HUMAN'S INTRINSIC "RIGHT", TO DECIDE ALL THINGS BASED UPON "MUTUAL CONSENT", must be upheld, no matter what any one believe's to be their "own good or moral behaviour" for themself.

if "ULTIMATE POWER", embrace SUCH UNSANE NOTION'S AS "MENTAL DISORDER'S", these that have the power of life and death OVER ALL, and embrace such physcological definition's, such should send shiver's thru the body of any sane human being, seeing the true implication unto ALL, ALL, ALL, OUTSIDE OF "THE POWER AGENDA"...

for the ONLY LAW, of restriction of bodily movement of ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, should only be based upon NO PHYSICAL HARM UNTO ANOTHER?

WHO SHALL DIAGNOSE THE PHYSCOLOGIST?

WHO SHALL QUESTION THE ONE MAKING DEFINING SUCH DEFINTION'S OF HUMAN BEHAVIOUR AS "UNJUST" IN THE FIRST PLACE?

AND, THEN THE "DELUSIONS OF GRANDEAUR", OF ANY, to DEEM any that display such behaviour, or action, or words, as being MENTALLY INCOMPETENT?

obviously with NO INSIGHT OR TRUE REALITY, OF ALL PAST "EXTREME GOOD", THAT CAME FROM THESE EXACT ****ING BEHAVIOURS?

hardly so, BUT THESE PAST "EXTEREME GOODS" SUCH AS "ALL HUMAN ARE EQUAL", and the ongoing fight to attain such, ARE NOT WISHED, BY ANYONE DEEMING SUCH THINGS AS "MENTAL DISORDER'S", so the EXTREMELY VILE AND CONTEMPUOUS MOTIVE AND INTENT OF THESE CANNOT BE MISSED.

during the era of the beginning's of the physcology study in the early 1900's, thousands were restrained, given fatal beta meds, tortured, given labotomies, by the "established", main stream psychcological communtiies...

would not any OPPOSING HITLER, then fit ALL THESE DEFINITION'S?

any that cannot see, that such hath FAR REACHING DEVASTING CONSEQUENCE'S HAS BUT LEARNED TO LAUGH AT WHAT CREATE'S IT'S OWN DEMISE, AND IMPRISONEMENT, AND TORTURE, AND ELIMINATION.

if the very validity of such, is not legally opposed, AND OVERTURNED, and the creator's of such not examined for 'the same mental disorder', and even gresater disorder, of misusing it's position and power to sabotage ALL BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS, the implication to anything outside of 'THE CIRCLE OF POWER' is threatened to the most extreme degree...

oh, but then is that even still possible, since WHO WOULD BE CALLED TO THE STAND TO DEFEND SUCH DEFINITION'S?

ANOTHER PSYHCOLOGIST?

SO, A MEMBER OF THE SAME "PIER GROUP"?

doth the court assign a jury of pier's equal to ONE defining?

how would such be fair and impartial?

but it is done each day.

and each day the more...

if people do not get behind, the civil liberties of LIFE AS EQUAL IN VALUE, then the life of all will not be seen as equal, and if the life of all be not considered as equal in value, then WHOM shall be the decider of WHAT LIFE, BE CONSTRUED, IMLIED, CONSIDERED, LAWED, AS "NOT" EQUAL IN VALUE?

for these definition's indeed, create MANY A PAST DAYS OF HUMAN HORROR INTO EXISTENCE, AND INDEED, PAVE THE WAY FOR THE REMOVAL OF ANY "LAW" OR SAFEGAURD TO RESTRICT IT.

peace

"ODD is a mental disorder commonly found in teenagers. It is severe enough that they can not function (or function poorly) in simple day-to-day life" (this is not a diagnosis for adult conspiracy theorists or anti-government politically-minded individuals)"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630/DSECTION=symptoms

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 07:00 AM

Well, got my chair in the truck and fresh batteries for my camera.

Heading out to the Tea Party Rally.

Gonna' disprove the misinformation that the Tea Party is the White Supremacists or the Klan.

Yeah right, Tancredo...T-baggers not mostly racist morons? Really?

http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2010/02/05/tancredo-kicks-off-tea-party-convention-with-racist-comments/

"He issued a warning to the crowd that “our culture is at stake” and that our culture “is based on Judeo-Christian values whether people like it or not!” Near the end of his speech Tancredo announced to the crowd that he was going to be working with Roy Beck, executive director of [b[NumbersUSA (an anti-immigrant group with strong ties to white nationalists) at their breakout session on Friday. He encouraged people to attend the session and thanked Roy Beck and NumbersUSA for all their good work."

MiddleEarthling's photo
Sun 10/17/10 06:16 AM
"ODD is a mental disorder commonly found in teenagers. It is severe enough that they can not function (or function poorly) in simple day-to-day life" (this is not a diagnosis for adult conspiracy theorists or anti-government politically-minded individuals)"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630/DSECTION=symptoms

1 2 9 10 11 13 15 16 17 24 25