Community > Posts By > sweethouston713

sweethouston713's photo
Fri 11/21/08 08:18 AM

I've never taken offense to it...

SO many women, and even girls in their teens, are having implants done these days, can't blame the men for being confused.

I still think it should be obvious which are real or fake - but ladies, we are talking about men here...nothing is ever really "obvious" to them, right?
((sorry guys, but really...ha))

So no, no offense taken by me.

(should a woman ask me though, I would think something is really wrong with her)

sweethouston713's photo
Fri 11/21/08 08:03 AM

awwww...men can be so romantic at times...have a sweet little shrimp-sex-fantasy come true (which sounds somewhat funny when put that way, right? ha) --

Then shares it with everyone here.

Seriously, where's the puffs when I need them?

jk - good for you! (Just be careful)

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 02:33 PM

Something sweet that happened to our family the last couple of weeks Mom was in hospice....
During the previous months, my sister & I had gotten into the habit of frequently stopping by their apt to do the housework so Dad could spend more time with Mom. After a while, we started finding most of the housework already done by the time we got there. We didn't think much of it, I just assumed Dad was getting up earlier, or needed something to keep him busy when he got home. One afternoon,about 2-3 weeks before Mom went, I stopped by and found an immaculate apartment with a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the table. There was a note on Dad's kitchen counter signed by one of the ladies in his church who lived in his building. "We have you covered Dears. Go spend more time with your folks."

It still makes me teary just thinking about it. :smile:

Awwww....I'm sure that meant so much to your parents, and to you and your sister as well. Made my eyes tear up reading it.

I'm also sure that all the help you and your sister gave to him during that time helped tremendously. Be sure that your Mom, in her own way, knew what was being done, and was very proud and moved by it as well. Whether she was aware of it before or after her passing...
You're a very kind, sweet person - sounds like your Mom & Dad did a wonderful job as parents to deserve such a loving daughter. Never forget that.
:)

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 02:25 PM

ok i thought of one....
its kinda a catch 22 one, but here goes

last year my mom was a teachers aide for a special needs (autistic) child at the preschool... well, one friday afternoon my mom got a call from the mother of the child saying that she was freaking out.. she was playing with noah (the boy) in the back yard, had turned her back to go get the ball that he had kicked to her, and he had just disapeared, well we live in some VAST farm land, so its not hard for someone to just disapear, she had called the police, and my mom.. my mom called our preacher and started the prayer chain, well the prayer chain did a lot more than just pray, the entire community ended up turning out for search parties, bringing refreshments, blankets, tents.. it went on into the night, people stayed with the parents, searched by spotlight, around 6 pm they found one of the boys boots near the creek that ran behind the parents house about a mile away.. they searched until about noon the next day when the searcehers found the child in the creek. (he did not survive)
well come to find out the father had lost his job earlier in the week, the family was about to get evicted from the house, the only viechile they hadwas the farm truck which could only hold 2 people in it at a time.. utilities were past due, as bad off as it could get it was..

the community donated the $$ for the sons funeral, they paid in advance the tutition for the daughters preschool for the next 2 years, they donated a car for the family to drive, they paid up and over the utitlites for the next 6 months, and the rent for 6 months as well. my dads boss offered the father a job, and told him that he would hold the job as long as he needed it for things to settle down with all that was going on.. the mother started volunteering at the church, and the preschool.

thru tragity the community pulled together, and now the family just had teh anniversary of one year with noah gone..
they are surviving.

Very touching story...so sad, yet very uplifting at the same time.

I've always felt (and seen) that the worst things that happen around us in life, also bring out the very best in each other. It's sad that it takes a tragedy to make that happen at times; but how beautiful it is to be a part of, no matter what the reasoning for making it happen.

Strangers reaching out to help that family is what this Topic was all about..., kindness and good things happening in a hurting world.

Thank you for sharing that here...maybe someone here who feels they are going through a hard time, will read it and realize just how lucky they truly are instead...

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 01:07 PM

Last summer (2007), my work partner and I were up north doing a roof job, and we stopped into a local restaurant in the morning for some breakfast before heading out to the job. As we were sitting in our booth waiting for our meals, I looked over and noticed a man sitting by himself in a booth on the opposite side of the room, making futile attempts to light his cigarette with a lighter that wouldn't work. I got up and walked over by him with my own lighter and flicked it for him so he could light his cigarette. He thanked me, I went back to my table, and put the incident out of my mind.

When our food came, I happened to look over to the other side of the room again, and I half-heartedly noticed that the man was gone. We finished eating and went to pay our bill. When we got to the register, we were informed that the man from across the room had paid for BOTH of our breakfasts....just because I lit his cigarette for him.

Never knew his name, never saw him leave, nothing, but I thought that was pretty dang nice of him.

That was very nice of him - but it was also very nice of you. Most people would've just ignored the man struggling to get his lighter to work. Who knows what kind of day he was having at that time, what was going on in his life at that moment. I've never smoked at all, but I have known people who do; and I know that when stress hits, a cigarette is needed most of the time.

Just by making that possbile for him, in a way, you might've played a part in helping to calm him down some. So, in return he showed you his appreciation for that. It was very kind indeed; of both of you...

Thank you for sharing that - maybe others with lighters on them will pay attention to those who may need a light sometime ;)

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 12:53 PM

Just wanted to share another story... - (trying to motivate others to still...)

Many years ago I moved from Houston to Austin to live with my sister. We were both just out of school and decided to move somewhere else, but didn't want to be alone, so we moved together.

While trying to find a job there, I had an interview at a Hospital. Well, we all know how Hospital's can be; sometimes you feel like you're in a maze! ha

I was already very nervous about the interview, then after getting completely turned around in the Hospital I was getting very frustrated. I guess it was obvious on my face, because this little elderly Nun approached me and asked if I needed assistance. I practically hugged her and told her where I was needing to get to.

She told me the simpliest way to find it and I went on my way...

I wasn't far down the hall when I remembered that in my eagerness to make it on time for my interview I did not thank her as I should have. So, I turned around to find her, went up and down the hall and around a few more halls, but she was nowhere to be found.

There was someone else who obviously worked for the hospital, so I asked her if she knew who the Nun I had met was... she didn't. After the interview I tried to find her still, but could not; and nobody else seemed to know who she was.

I ended up getting an employment offer somewhere else that I took - but my sister and I both went back to that Hospital to volunteer...which was some of the best times we ever shared together.

( & still never saw that kind Nun again )

That was over 15 years ago, but my sister and I talk about our times at that Hospital quite often...

It really helped to shape how both of our lives; both professionally and personally, would go.
& we only volunteered there because the kindness of a stranger inspired us to do so.

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:44 AM

Yes I saw this story on cnn .....Good job Tony ..and I to am not a cowboy fan but right is right :thumbsup:

Yea, was kind of rough for me to think something good about him too, ha -- BUT like you said, right is right...and if more 'celebrity types' did similar things, just think how many people might see the world a little differently?

So I say we need more "Romo's" out there (just not on the football field... just kidding)

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:31 AM

A few months ago a co-worker of mine had their 7th child. The child was unfortunately born with a disorder in the brain and was not expected to live. He passed the word of his child's condition through the office so that we would all know what was happening and asked that we pray for his son. A few days after the birth, I was leaving a local driving range and was approached by a younger guy on a bicycle. He was a little unkempt looking and I assumed that he was going to ask me for a handout. To my surprise, this person whom I've never met, asked me if there was anything going on in my life that he could pray for? Personal strife? Financial trouble? After a short pause, I told him the story of my friend at work and what he and his family were going through. Nothing in my life came close to that. After hearing the circumstances, this young guy started an impromptu prayer for my friend, his family, and son. It was really pretty amazing. Completely off the cuff but organized and thoughtful. It's been a few months now and the child is improving against all predictions. He has been released from the hospital and is now home with his very happy family. It makes you wonder....

Does make you wonder...what made that man approach you in the first place...-- it sounds as if a higher power was in control of that happening...many do not believe in such things; but at times, it's really hard to not at least give in to the notion that it's possible. Reading what you wrote that was what I was thinking the entire time.

So glad to know the baby is at home with his family...

Maybe the next time an unkept person approaches you, you'll wonder what blessing he/she might play a part in... ( I will now )

Thank you for sharing that...very moving...again, had happy tears in my eyes.

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:25 AM

Well I had been doing restoration work on a flooded house. I felt so bad to just be throwing all these peoples 30 years of accumulated waterlogged stuff, when I came across there wedding album. I carried it outside and removed all the photos for them to dry in the sun. Later that day the home owners came by to check the progress, As I was carrying out some soaked drywall, there was the wife crying over the photos. she told me that there were no copys of these photos and wanted to thank the person who took the time to care for someone elses memory.
I told her I was not sure who did it but I was glad that her photos were ok and went about my work.:angel: devil

"Awwwww...." was what I was thinking to myself as I read this -- so kind to take a few minutes of your time to think of them and make sure they were able to have those pictures of such a special day in their lives.

Those are irreplaceable, and you helped them keep that...and annonymously; what a kind heart...

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:22 AM

In the 90's when my daughter was in the Navy, she did not take shore leave for 5 yrs, that was her choice.. She had mentioned that a lot of the young people on board would never even get a Xmas card let alone some presents... Well, when I was making cookies and candy to send my daughter I would always make extra and send for her to share..one time I even sent a small tree w/decorations and they taped it to the Chief's desk and sent pics of it.. I would also send anything they could microwave, hot choc, popcorn, and other little goodies I would find.. I did receive many thank you's but it was my way of saying thank you for serving and giving back...flowerforyou

Oh wow, that was so sweet of you to do that! The men and women in the military are so often left out of any holiday celebration at all - so I'm sure it meant the world to them to receive things from you.

(I bet they'll never forget it either)

Thank you for sharing that with us...

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:05 AM

The otherday...driving past a parking lot...some poor Japanese guy was standing by his car's flat tire with a tire iron in one hand, a hammer in the other and a puzzled look in his face. His wife was sitting in the car. Pulled up and walked over to him...(I speak a little Japanese) Took his tools and changed the tire. That was one very happy couple.

They might not speak english but, it is nice to know that they left with a good impression.

I'm sure they did...- shows you are a caring, kind person... made me smile...thank you for sharing it here...

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 11:03 AM

Christmastime last year, I worked for a retail catalog center. My hours had abruptly dropped from 50 hrs to 20 hrs a week. My ex had had the spousal support and child support dropped considerably. I was selling furniture that I had got in divorce settlement just to pay the rent for January.

It was Christmas Eve and I didn't have a Christmas tree, it made me feel sad. The girls at work told me that Walmart might still have Christmas trees left and I went straight there after I got off of work. I had just enough money to buy a tree.

I went there, there was some left. The sign in front of them had a handwritten sign over it that said 1/2 off. Teary eyed, I picked one out and told the dude that I wanted it, don't let anyone take it while I go pay for it. He said hold on a minute. He answered his cell phone and then told me that the tree was FREE! "It was late in the day and they had more left than they anticipated." I didn't know whether to believe him or not and just looked at him dumbfounded and said thank you. He helped me stuff it in my car and I went back in and was able to buy lights, garland and tinsel and a half gallon of egg nog. While I was standing in line waiting to pay, I noticed others picking out their trees and coming over to stand in line to pay for them. The same guy out there helping them that had helped me. When I was leaving, tears streaming down my face, I saw the guy again and I hugged him and told him Merry Christmas and cried all the way "home".

My daughters 22 and 17 at the time had already accepted that there was not going to be a tree and were so surprised that I had one stuffed in my car. We spent the rest of the evening decorating it and having a great time together.

Does this qualify as random acts of kindness? Probably not, but, it is an experience that will stay with me for years to come.

Oh what a beautiful story...brought tears of happiness to my eyes while reading it. I could sense your happiness through your words...

Exactly the kind of stories I think should be shared more often... hopefully it made you feel just as good to share it with us, as it was to read.
Thank you.

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 10:40 AM

People had to fight like hell to get the homeless shelter re-opened in Green Bay recently. You should have heard the mindless comments by those who were in opposition.

They were able to re-open it in the end, right?

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 10:35 AM

Okay, I'll share one...

I read earlier that Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Tony Romo watched a movie with a homeless man. The man's name is Doc, and Romo noticed him cashing in change at the theater and offered to buy him a ticket.

Once Doc was inside the theater Romo waved him over to sit with him and his friend.
Doc said he told Romo that he had not showered in days, but Romo said it was okay - that he was used to locker rooms.

Romo did not talk about this...it was Doc who did.

He said it gave him some encouragement and faith in mankind, and he wanted to thank Romo for that.

It was a small thing to Tony Romo, but meant so much to Doc....

(& I am not a Cowboys fan at all)

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 10:27 AM

I've got nothing

well geez...that's not a good start at all! ha

So nobody is ever just kind to you, there for you no matter what? Or you haven't noticed anything around where you live that is to help others out?

There's got to be something.

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 10:22 AM

In today's world we are bombarded with negativity all the time....- someone is killed, hurt or abused - our economy is a mess - the left/right will never get along it seems - many are sick and dying.

The list goes on and on and on...

In the spirit of the Holiday season right around the corner, why not try to spread some happy, uplifting stories as well?

Share anything that you think will give others the sense that there really are some good people in this world, random acts of kindness that touch all of us in a special way.

A stranger reaching out to someone in need -
A simple smile -
anything....

How much good news can we come up with together?
I'm hoping a lot...

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 09:42 AM

Just trying to help out the cause...

Although, I've noticed many times when I reply on any thread it suddenly stops. (What's up with that?)

So this one might be doomed now...

Good luck to ya!

sweethouston713's photo
Thu 11/20/08 09:39 AM

Tomorrow we can drive around this town, 'n let the cops chase us around...

Gin Blossoms, right?

sweethouston713's photo
Wed 11/19/08 08:04 PM

Sky Diving together and landing on a beach with a beautiful romantic meal set up right by the water.

What if you land with your foot in the meatloaf?

ummmmm....probably shouldn't answer that, ha

sweethouston713's photo
Wed 11/19/08 08:01 PM

Sky Diving together and landing on a beach with a beautiful romantic meal set up right by the water.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9