Community > Posts By > Blaze1978

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 11/04/10 06:38 PM
I was never altogether comfortable with the idea of physically acting out motions for a video game. If I had kinnect, I'd have to make sure the blinds were closed and the door locked before using it.

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 11/04/10 06:31 PM
Piercings and perfume are major turnoffs...sick

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 11/04/10 06:28 PM
Whenever I went to the barber in my young, young days, I was terrified of the shaver. I remember thinking that the old man who cut my hair had somehow trapped a hive of bees in the device, and I pictured their little stingers projecting through an apparatus of some sort and stinging me.laugh

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 11/04/10 06:25 PM
In Kindergarten, I was forced into the dentist's chair during school hours. They wanted to do some work because my earliest permanent teeth already had cavities. This was back in the dark ages, when dentists were still allowed to come into schools and torture kids as they saw fit.

I remember sitting in that dentist chair, I felt terror as I had never had before in my life. Then the dentist turned on the little drill, and I started shreiking...she tried to be reassuring by stating, "he'll survive." I had never heard that word before, and even in the throes of mad panic, I vividly recall pondering what it meant. My ultimate conclusion was that survive must mean the opposite of what it does. The notion that my existence was about to end at such a young age made me further uncooperative. Looking back, what I find most startling is that, I, who had just turned five and had barely developed a semantic memory, had any sort of idea what death was...but then I was always a timid, worried little tyke.

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 11/04/10 06:10 PM
In this modern technological age, I must be the only living human totally lacking in cellular phone capabilities.

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 11/02/10 08:44 PM
I believe the year was 1999. I lived in town, and a friend and I were walking home late at night. We were crossing the field across the street from our two houses, and I wish I hadn't been looking at the grass, because then I could describe what I saw so much better...but there was a flash of green light. And it was so immense, it illuminated the night sky to the extent that I could perceive the flash even without any actual sky in my visual frame. The phenomenon was over before I could look up. My friend described it as a green light that quickly streaked across the sky and was gone, and today he does not even recall the night in question. I still don't know what we saw...might have been a UFO.

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 11/02/10 03:00 AM
I'm a huge Batman fan, but I'm almost a bigger fan of the Joker. It pains my heart to see the half-assed depiction he got in TDK, and how everyone was so quick to praise Heath Ledger's a-s-s performance because he tragically died.noway

Of course Ledger isn't the only one at fault. Certainly a great deal of the blame lies with the movie's producers and writers. But I still feel like knocking my head against the wall when I remember the interview Ledger gave (while twitching nuerotically) about the full grasp he had of the part and about how well he portrayed it.frustrated

Ledger, rest in peace, but give me a break.rant

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 10/21/10 04:59 AM
Don't call, because they won't be able to tell you nothing. As far as it relates to games, individual trade in value is based on 1) the worth of the game, meaning how many copies it sold, 2) How well you've kept it and 3) the individual retailer.

I trade games quite a bit and can tell you that a high seller you might gain as much as $30 worth of trade in value, while a poor seller might gain you as little as $3.

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 10/12/10 12:55 PM
I get a pop up virtually every time I log in now. This time it was about a money scam in Idaho.mad

Blaze1978's photo
Sun 10/10/10 09:29 PM
I forgot a really good one. Batman: Arkham Asylum, best Batman game ever.

I can't find the Batman smiley...

Blaze1978's photo
Fri 10/08/10 01:17 AM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Fri 10/08/10 01:20 AM
Agreed. Maybe someone can suggest it to the mods.

Best game of all time? The decision is so wide open.

The best old school era game by far would have to be River City Ransom for the NES. I loved knocking enemies out just to see the comical look on their punk faces, and the physics system was groundbreaking for its time.

The best "Golden Age of Video Games" game is definitely Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 for the Super NES. Pseudo 3D was a glorious thing at the time...

The best "pre-modern" game would be WWF No Mercy for the N64. Well rounded wrestling sim with a bulked up "Create-A-Wrestler" system? love

And finally, the best of the modern era, that is, the "you can do anything you want to in video games" era, well, choices choices choices. I'd go with Fable 1 and 2 (and likely the upcoming 3) for such a wide open experience that you can literally play for the 40th time and uncover something new (and extorting villagers never gets old). Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 for the story and cinematics, and Psychonauts and Deathspank for their quirky randomness. Nothing quite like literally going inside people's minds to sort out their junk in the former, or "following the path of the sacred bacon" in the latter.

For the record, Overlord and Alan Wake are up there as well.

Blaze1978's photo
Fri 10/08/10 01:04 AM
Oh no...I can't get rid of the rug, it's not my rug. My landlord will probably take my damage deposit...

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 10/07/10 02:11 PM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Thu 10/07/10 02:13 PM
I know, I've been developing a nasty cough without apparent cause over the past few months, and I guess I know the culprit.

I have to go out to run errands tomorrow, so I hope this will have amassed enough replies by then.

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 10/07/10 02:02 PM
Since I moved into my room in June, I have been sleeping on my old foam mattress. It is a mattress I have slept on continuously in past residences without a problem. However, I finally got around to getting an actual mattress for the bed---which before lacked a mattress---and when I moved the foam, the rug underneath it had become moldy.surprised

Dammit.

My question is, does anyone out there know cheap, effective methods of removing mold from a rug?

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 09/30/10 12:46 AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned Gov. mind control experiments.
Its not the Aliens doing this at all, its us. The people have been brainwashed to believe it was the Aliens. Real human beings wouldn't do that kind of stuff...hybrid DNA experiments.....forced abortions...and it certainly wouldn't be 'our' Gov. doing this.

Disinformation is a powerful tool. Lie to and manipulate the people and get them to believe the Aliens did it.

Kind of ties in with my second theory...surprised

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 09/27/10 05:33 PM

Advanced technology and noble behavior do not always go together. During the 1600s Europeans used their technology to enslave natives of western Africa. Now that was a form of alien abduction.

I agree totally, and I also figure that if we were ever to get to the level that we are able to colonize other worlds, we would undoubtedly destroy much life (sentient or otherwise) and nature as we search for the answers that we seek.

Perhaps destroying as a means of gathering information is a condition of being an interstellar lifeform. While it would be possible to not destroy other worlds, civilizations, etc, doing so merely affords a race a greater amount of resources within a shorter time period. In short, destroying/conquering is more efficient than establishing peaceful contact and finding ways to compromise.

Maybe as a species, we would benefit from a kick in the *** by a more advanced, evolved culture...whoa

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 09/27/10 05:27 PM

Well, I'd like to think that a society advanced far enough to travel across vast regions of space would also be advanced enough medically to be able to use "tri-corder" type technology. I mean we are advanced enough to use MRIs, Xrays, and CAT scans, not very invasive and tell us a lot. So if we, a backwards planet bound civilization, have advances in technology that tell us about the inner workings of organic bodies, it makes no sense to assume that "visitors" wouldn't also be advanced beyond our capabilities in this area as well.

So once again, it seems very unlikely that these types of invasive techniques would be necessary. It would seem more likely that these abductees got liquored up and buggered by a bear.

Dude, "tricorder type technology" is something entirely construed within the realm of science fiction. Not saying it isn't possible, but I will point out that virtually everyone's image of what an alien race should look like and how they should behave is some model of human sci-fi (which is nothing more than earth's interpretation of outer space, very little of which, at our current level of technology, is put into actual practice). Maybe there is some aspect of anal probing that simply produces more information.

Or, maybe aliens are by nature even more sadistic than human beings with a sense of detachment comparable to human beings who damage the brain stems of monkeys in order to study how it affects their REM states. Maybe it's nothing to do with efficient methods of gaining information, maybe it's entirely to do with cruel torture.

I don't dismiss that many of these stories may indeed be utter fabrications dreamed up by intoxicated rednecks---in that I still cannot bring myself to believe that all of them are---the point is, we cannot possibly have all the information, therefore how can we possibly judge how a superior race "should" behave under specific circumstances? Not unlike the monkeys trying to make sense of why we chop their brain stems.

Your theory has several holes in it. Let's look at the monkey analogy. First off, we keep those monkeys for several months/years. After which, we dissect them so that we can have complete analysis. Not only do we go to such lengths, but usually the scientists doing so have upwards of a dozen subjects which they are monitoring.

Second, I can understand the concept of aliens torturing human subjects just to test the depths of their abilities to withstand the torture. We've done that ourselves, I believe Dr. Mengele was famous for this. However, once again the to truly understand how much torture a human can take, it must end in his death. To think of the raw amounts of "subjects" that Mengele went through is horrifying, so once again, alien scientists would need more than a couple of subjects for a few hours. I'm not assuming that an alien race would be more "humane" than we humans at all, quite frankly our own version of our humanity is kind of idealistic to begin with, we really are just animals.

Third, I don't think you have a concept of how big space really is, let alone the amounts of energy required to move between star systems. At 99% of light speed it would take 8 1/2 years to reach the nearest star (round trip). This would require about the same amount of energy as our sun puts off over the course of a century. All that energy used, and odds are, there are no planets circling that star. The nearest star that we are 100% sure has a planet orbiting it (not even inhabitable, just orbiting) is approximately 26 light years away, requiring a 50+ year mission. These are broad amounts of energy and research required to pull off a short subject test. Basically the equivalent to building a nuclear reactor to see if a ten watt bulb has burnt out.

Now, assuming that their society had to evolve to a stage to do this kind of travel, it is safe to assume that these "alien scientists" had to unravel the secrets of the universe that are required to do so. We, as a culture are also attempting to do this same thing, however, we don't devote near as much of our scientific research into finding these solutions as we do to finding out about the physiology of all known beings (plant and animal life). Ergo, it is reasonable to assume that other life forces in the universe would also want to find an understanding of such things as well. More than likely, as with humans, an understanding of how to preserve their own lives would take precedent over space travel. Much like we consider eating (preserving our own lives) more important than vacations (travel).

So, to assume that alien life would have medical/scientific hardware much more elaborate and useful than we humans is not out of the realm of possibility. It actually seems quite reasonable. It would also seem to be a logical extension that whatever technology an alien being - that has the ability to travel across vast distances of space - would almost seem like it was straight out of science fiction. It might even seem miraculous or magical to our undeveloped science.

I concede your point, and I certainly understand the immense size of space (and that it continues to expand outward), and I fully see the logic in people's belief that space is too vast for an alien race to have found us, at least when the variables are measured statistically etc. While I do believe this is possible, let me back up a bit by stating that I am on the fence as it relates to alien visitations. I believe many could be legitimate, but it would also not surprise me at all to find out that the "aliens" that supposedly visit us are merely a government experiment in cloning gone wrong, and the visitations themselves are merely a smokescreen to cover up a far more sinister government conspiracy.

Food for thought, that's all.biggrin

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 09/27/10 05:17 PM

Well ...
as soon as we find a way to travel faster than light speed without destroying what we are transporting ... or a wormhole and a way to teleport organisms through it and back again ...
I'll consider extraterrestial visitations possible.

until then ... its mostly dellusion, illusion and hysteria pulled out of a hat.

psychosis is a seperate problem

Trust me, it is possible. That we haven't achieved it merely indicates the limitations of our level of science. As humans, we like to think we have all the answers, but in truth, there is so much that is possible that we cannot conceive at our current level.

Einstein said that while it would be impossible to break the laws that govern the light barrier, they can be bent. We just require time and patience (and perhaps another century or two of development) to find ways to circumvent those laws.

Don't dismiss it merely because it has not been done.

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 09/27/10 12:39 PM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Mon 09/27/10 12:56 PM

personally I think any alien visitations to earth are done by the "trailer trash" of their societies...I see the earth as a kind of cheap roadside motel....

Logically considering, why would they need so many samples? With all the UFO hysteria and so on and claiming how "thousands" have been abducted and put on a surgery table and examined .. it gets doubtful really, when a technologically superior creatures keep abducting one after another to do "experiments" on them.

Another logical conclusion is, that what's the point really? Let's assume that abductions happen.

If you want to take samples from a population, you would really not need hundred-thousands of labrats..I would say a maximum of 50-100 people would be more than enough.

If they are technologically superior, they know genetic engineering better than humans, they can "clone" , replicate or even genetically modify DNA if that's what they are after.
If that's not what they are after, then I have no idea, but I doubt it would be just to torture and scare the living sh.t out of a bunch of people. That doesn't compute.
Waste of time, waste of resources and pointless.

The one part of the movie that didn't add up is how they put many of the facts together, and as a small group, made connections that it should have taken a team of scientists years to conjure.

Given the innately mysterious nature of the universe, I find it hard to believe that so few people with such limited resources would nonetheless make such rapid progress.

The real question is, what were they after? Everyone assumes that they are after samples, but only because that is what popular culture conditions us to accept unquestionably. We've all heard stories of alien abductions and how they're "impregnating" humans and whatnot since we were old enough to walk. But without accurate sampling of their culture, it confounds me about how so many can talk themselves into believing that they know what they're after because it sounds "logical."

Who's to even say that alien logic matches up with human logic at any level? To a human, torture might seem like a waste of effort to come so far. Unless---and I admit this is rampant speculation insofar as I admit that any discussion on the state of an alien mind can only be speculated upon---unless torture holds a significant relevance in their culture, perhaps even their spiritual beliefs (again, assuming such advanced creatures have spiritual beliefs, which I don't think is so farfetched).

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 09/27/10 12:20 PM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Mon 09/27/10 12:27 PM

Well, I'd like to think that a society advanced far enough to travel across vast regions of space would also be advanced enough medically to be able to use "tri-corder" type technology. I mean we are advanced enough to use MRIs, Xrays, and CAT scans, not very invasive and tell us a lot. So if we, a backwards planet bound civilization, have advances in technology that tell us about the inner workings of organic bodies, it makes no sense to assume that "visitors" wouldn't also be advanced beyond our capabilities in this area as well.

So once again, it seems very unlikely that these types of invasive techniques would be necessary. It would seem more likely that these abductees got liquored up and buggered by a bear.

Dude, "tricorder type technology" is something entirely construed within the realm of science fiction. Not saying it isn't possible, but I will point out that virtually everyone's image of what an alien race should look like and how they should behave is some model of human sci-fi (which is nothing more than earth's interpretation of outer space, very little of which, at our current level of technology, is put into actual practice). Maybe there is some aspect of anal probing that simply produces more information.

Or, maybe aliens are by nature even more sadistic than human beings with a sense of detachment comparable to human beings who damage the brain stems of monkeys in order to study how it affects their REM states. Maybe it's nothing to do with efficient methods of gaining information, maybe it's entirely to do with cruel torture.

I don't dismiss that many of these stories may indeed be utter fabrications dreamed up by intoxicated rednecks---in that I still cannot bring myself to believe that all of them are---the point is, we cannot possibly have all the information, therefore how can we possibly judge how a superior race "should" behave under specific circumstances? Not unlike the monkeys trying to make sense of why we chop their brain stems.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25