Community > Posts By > Blaze1978

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 06/26/12 11:45 PM
I try to shut it down, and I get a grey box (end program wpwin13.exe). And then nothing happens. Shutting down via the task manager yields the same result.

I need help, preferably ASAP.

Blaze1978's photo
Sun 01/09/11 10:24 PM
Why is my vlc media player having problems running things, and why does it now say this next to the vlc symbol on the recently used apps list?

Blaze1978's photo
Sat 01/08/11 03:15 AM

good morning.

Good morning!!

@ everyone: I probably should have noted that I don't have a wife and kids.drinker

and where you say "the next image was a bit unusual" ????

Sounds like a bad night to me. Glad you woke up safe and sound and wishing you much sweeter dreams tonight! Don't let the bed bugs bite!!

Meh. I prefer bad dreams, they're more interesting. And, strange as it sounds, they're how I know I'm fully sane. It means my mind is processing the messed up world normally.

I would be much more concerned were I experiencing only good dreams.

Blaze1978's photo
Fri 01/07/11 05:19 PM

good morning.

Good morning!!

@ everyone: I probably should have noted that I don't have a wife and kids.drinker

Blaze1978's photo
Wed 01/05/11 06:27 PM
I had a dream in which I saw Nazis attacking a university. Two tanks drove up onto campus (I remember thinking that it takes three men to work a tank and that I was some day going to be forcibly drafted into the German army to help drive one). The tanks were followed by a man on horseback carrying a cutlass. At this time, I hoped that the tanks wouldn't injure the horse.

I saw teachers and students crowd the doors and windows of the university to see what was going on. The students were all small children. The man on horseback told the tank gunners to begin shooting indiscriminately. They fired at the exterior walls of the buildings, causing masonry to chip and fly off. Somehow, no one was injured in the gunfire. The masonry built up in piles on the campus. Then I blinked and realized that it wasn't masonry that I was looking at. The piles were comprised of books.

Then the man on horseback got off the horse. It was at this point that I realized he had a flamethrower strapped to his back and he was going to burn the books. Thisrealization made the people cowering in the halls recoil in horror. I felt as if it were people the German commandant was going to destroy.

Then I was suddenly in the body of Tom Hanks, who was a teacher at the academy. The sight of the unrepentant destruction of so many books caused red, green and orange lumps to appear on my face. Then I started having conniptions, and one of the headmasters said that I was having a stroke.

The next image was a bit unusual. I saw the yard of a fabulous Victorian era house, and my family (a wife and two kids) were having a picnic nearby. What was unusual about it was that I/Tom Hanks was submerged underground. Only my legs, from the knees down were visible above the soil. My daughter grabbed my feet and pulled me out of the earth as easily as if she had been digging out a carrot. Then she said, "Look mother, I just had the strangest dream."

Suddenly my kids mysteriously dropped dead. The sight of this inspired my wife into a state of perpetual panic, and, oblivious to my/Tom Hanks' presence, she began to shout "The Germans are coming," while running around aimlessly and shrieking endlessly. Her shrieking hurt my ears and I began to worry that she would lead the Germans right to us. Then I woke up.

Blaze1978's photo
Sat 12/18/10 04:17 PM

Is it an acer? I've had two acer laptops in here with powerup woes. If you look on goog, you will find that acers are plagued with strange acpi bios and/or hardware issues that some people claim that bios flashes can fix. I gave the laptops back and told them to take em to a qualified tech. I didn't want the liability of possibly killing them with a bad flash.
I have a third acer laptop that someone gave me because she thought it was broken. (she was gonna crunch it. i said NO! i'll take it) Mash on the power button and power light comes on and looks like it'll boot then craps out. I can get it to boot by taking the battery out and plugging it back in while mashing the power button. It'll run ok for abt a half hour before it starts freakin out with acpi errors. And it's not hot, either. One of these days when I'm bored but ambitious, I'll flash the bios and see what happens.
So the thought for you is (after my rambling) is make a partition for linux or, at least, load up a linux live cd and keep an eye on system messages. Even if it isn't an acer it could give you some insight. If it runs fine for some hours with no errors, you might chalk it up to a windohs fail. In that case, you might as well install linux and be done with the windohs silliness. But if you must have windohs, you will know you'll need to re-install.
Good luck, man

Don't even get me started on Acer...this thread is about my desktop---I don't even know the brand name because there's no marking anywhere---but my laptop is an Acer that has given me nothing but grief over the past year.

Blaze1978's photo
Sat 12/18/10 04:12 PM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Sat 12/18/10 04:13 PM

No beeps?

Memory could have failed, but that doesn't seem likely. For a minute it was kind of sounding like your graphics card was shot, but if it is rebooting randomly you might have a shot power supply or connection. Either way, it sounds like you have a hardware issue, and since I'm not there to run through a check list with the machine you might be better off taking it into a shop or getting an entirely new computer.

If it is still under warranty you can call the manufacture up and have them assist you, if not you might still be able to get help from them but it would be limited.

I don't even know how old it is....I got it refurbished for free (the official going rate was $99) as part of a deal for a work term with a particular computer repair shop. They obtained the computer from a university.

Blaze1978's photo
Fri 12/17/10 01:54 PM
Today it turned off and rebooted while I was logging onto explorer...noway

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 12/16/10 08:45 PM
Oh. Now the home page is fine.

Good grief...

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 12/16/10 08:43 PM
Oh no...

I had to abort the fragging at nineteen percent because the friggin' screen froze...it happened while I was trying to look at files on the drive. I tried to minimize everything, but instead the three windows disappeared but for the upper left hand corner. There was no icons, and nothing I could click on anywhere. I had to cut power.

In booting back up, it takes forever to get the internet running, and my homepage is all scrambled...although once past the homepage, everything appears normal.

What the hell?frustrated

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 12/16/10 07:21 PM

You are only mentioning what you see on the monitor. I am surprised that Noone asked you this yet but when you turn on your pc and nothing boots do you hear anything? Are your pc fans kicking on? What about any sounds from the hard drive etc? If your fans are still kicking then your ps should be good.

I thought about that...shockingly, it booted normally today. The fan works fine, and I don't remember hearing anything alarming prior to today.

Blaze1978's photo
Thu 12/16/10 07:19 PM

Ah, I see...my bad, what Windows are you running?

Go to your computer (whatever you named it from 'My Computer') and right click on the harddrive, go to the tools tab and run the error-check tool. If that comes back fine go back and run the defragmentation one, report back on what happens.

This is on XP but should be similiar if not exact for other Windows.

Nothing unusual comes up in error check.

For defragmentation, I ran an analysis, and it suggested a defrag. I'm running that now, it's up to one percent...this is going to take awhile.

Blaze1978's photo
Wed 12/15/10 09:20 PM

There's no performance tab either.

What exactly does it look like when you try to open up the task manager? Is it just a box with a green graph like thing? If it is just double click on the border and it should return to normal.

There are four tabs at the top: file, action, view and help. Just below that, a set of symbols meaning back, forward,show/hide console tree, help, and show/hide action pane.

The main screen of the task manager lists the following: under the heading HOME-FUWOUJ6XFO there is
-computer
-disk drives
-display adaptors
-dvd/cd-rom drives
-floppy disc controllers
-floppy disc drives
-human interface devices
-IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
-IEEE 1394 bus host controllers
-keyboards
-mice and other pointing devices
-monitors
-network adaptors
-ports (COM & LPT)
-processors
-sound, video and game controllers
-system devices
-universal serial bus controllers

Blaze1978's photo
Wed 12/15/10 04:10 PM
There's no performance tab either.

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 12/14/10 04:53 PM
The device manager brings up no yellow exclamation marks. But there doesn't appear to be a "processes" tab precisely.

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 12/14/10 04:20 AM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Tue 12/14/10 04:21 AM
Virus scan turned up empty. I also had the same problem when I booted up today, although different. The computer turned on, the windows screen appeared, and then the screen went dark (and the corresponding green light went orange, perhaps indicating an interuption in the power supply) before starting over and booting properly.

Although...I typically have my desktop running for 12-13 hour intervals without a power interruption, so maybe not...

Blaze1978's photo
Mon 12/13/10 04:38 PM
No responses?huh

Blaze1978's photo
Sun 12/12/10 05:02 PM
So soon after I almost lost my laptop, my desktop almost goes. When I booted, the screen initially wouldn't turn on. The light turned green, then orange, then after a long wait, green again, before I was told that Windows did not boot. Rebooted, got the same result...until I booted in safe mode. Petrified that I was going to lose all information I immediately went about transferring my files to my backup. When I finally rebooted with no problems, I found that one of the folders had mysteriously been copied onto my desktop. Good ****ing grief.

Was this some stupid windows glitch, or was I the target of a malicious attack?

Blaze1978's photo
Wed 12/08/10 04:51 PM
Edited by Blaze1978 on Wed 12/08/10 04:53 PM

No...its just the new face of technology. Not everybody is a hardcore gamer. So they make all types of games and and all types ways to play them because there are all types of gamers. Its just like the progression from VHS, to DVD, to HD-DVD, to Blue Ray.

I agree and disagree...true, not everybody is a hardcore gamer, and motion technology taps into that market. But to say its merely progression is to imply that the controller will one day be as defunct as VHS. Which is highly unlikely to occur even if we, as gamers, suddenly lost our hands in a freaky big collective combine accident.happy

Blaze1978's photo
Tue 12/07/10 04:57 PM
The Batman fan films, with that Koenig guy as Joker.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25