Community > Posts By > Thorb

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 10:30 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 10:36 PM
Largest oil spills
Main article: List of oil spills
Oil spills of over 100,000 tons or 30 million US gallons, ordered by tons[a] Spill / Tanker Location Date *Tons of crude oil Barrels US Gallons References
Lakeview Gusher United States, Kern County, California 01910-05-14May 14, 1910 – September, 1911... 1200000.Tons of Crude
Deepwater Horizon United States, Gulf of Mexico 02010-04-20April 20, 2010 – Present 414,000–1,186,000 tons of Crude .. still not determined completely
Gulf War oil spill Iraq, Persian Gulf and Kuwait 01991-01-23January 23, 1991 270,000–820,000 tons of crude

a One ton of crude oil is roughly equal to 308 US gallons or 7.33 barrels approx.; 1 oil barrel is equal to 35 imperial or 42 US gallons.
b Original estimates for the spill were as high as 11,000,000 barrels,[45][46] however these numbers were corrected downward by subsequent, more detailed studies.

others are much smaller but still plentyful and signifigant locally.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 10:03 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 10:04 PM

Palin will do worse to this country than Bush did and that would be disastrous.
Thats just your opinion, not fact. I see it the opposite way, she has guts, Obammy is a coward.

and as slanderous and "dem der is fightin' words" ...
just your opinion.

and my opinion is ...
Politicians are dickheads in general

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 09:47 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 09:59 PM

Bailouts, unemployment extensions, things like this do not spark or stimulate growth in the economy.
correct ... they are social Band-Aids for parts of the economy and help to maintain cash flow in an average sector of the economy
The problem in job creation is that it is more expensive to pay a US worker to do something that it is to pay a foreign one.
that is not THE problem ... it is just A problem.
the man of the Last Century ... Henry Ford ...
realized you need to pay your employees well enough to buy your product if you expect to stay in business.
Another problem is the unwillingness of so many corporations to do that. [its easy if you only make breakfast cereal to say you do. but its missing the point]
This makes foreign goods cheap and thus discourages companies from making working class jobs in this country.

Now, to really stimulate job growth you have to increase tariffs on foreign goods. This raises the cost of production and makes it more economical to just manufacture the products domestically. Unfortunately, in the short term, it raises the overall cost of living, but in the long run, with more domestic production comes more economic stability.

true to some extent but tariffs have been tried and worked in various ways for ... ever. [taxes through extortion on trade routes] ... Towns in N.A. were founded to be self sufficient in the wilderness of the new world ... problem is ...
we changed ... grew over populated in cityscapes ... out ate our environment ... outsourced for just about everything.
focus has been on military production too much for too long with people in business thinking its a security blanket for all of their insured lives.

Tariffs are the major thing negotiated between nations ... the NAFT thing that Canadians and Mexicans have been botching about for years was an attempt at this mega corroboration global competition thingie that was believed by almost everyone in power as the way to smoothing the future ... has backfired into mega costs and mega debt.

A rethinking and reinstalling of a new faith in sustained growth [which in my opinion is insane] aspect of society to eventually include the globe is what is now taking place.

Decentralization is necessary for real success in the future.
the internet may provide a lifeline
it may also be corrupted and controlled
China is working on that and so is the FCC and other federal agencies.

Big Brother is fighting for his life with a few Big Cousins.

you can thank the unions for american workers making so much money, to me, the unions are what need to go. they were good for what they started for, but the government can monitor the companies better now.

the unions are checks and balances ... another piece of democracy.
no more corrupt than the government itself
no different than loby groups [which some would also banish]
one more step toward totalitarianism

unions do need to evolve ... but not be rid of ... in fact ... more people need to join and form unions and negotiate fair trade with all middlemen that are trying to skim too much off the top.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 09:12 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 09:14 PM

Yea people trust waaaay to freely on the Internet

ESP those looking for love

Been through the idiot. Mother ****in phoney liars

never again!!!

( oh my lord do I hear bitterness? Am I carrying baggage???):heart:

baggage just means ya can stay overnight if ya get too wasted or things got you so occupied ya need more time there.

its the adding baggage that I'm trying to avoid so the trip home isn't too hard

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 08:53 PM
cool ... if ya don't have to cover all the shipping costs.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 08:41 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 08:49 PM

Right ... fear mongering and news broadcasts ... hmmm

CBC does a fine job and CTV and Global ... not bad ...

more just information ... sometimes sucked into global propaganda like everyone else is by a good scam.

generally gets corrected in as quick a fashion as possible.

oH and what was the topic .... JOBs ... where are they ...

well ... if the Banks ... [not government] ... that got bailed out ... [by Bush] ... actually loaned the money out fairly to small business ... you would see some of them by now.

put blame where it belongs and stop believeing FOX news.

well golly gee... Just throw around credit... sounds great until you remember that easy credit and over leverage got us into this mess in the first place..

credit is great everyone should have atleast 500% of their gross income..

sure..

nice sarcasm ... but its properly managed credit to support small business that I'm talking about.

nothing about personal ... I need an hd tv and iphone with unlimited access for 4 kids too. .. oh their own phones and tv's and cars ... b.s.

More FOX rhetroic on selective facts for a strawman argument.

it was obama, not bush...

Bush started the 700 billion bail out ... Oboma just didn't stop it. .. then economic advisors ... maybe partly corporate pawns ... but also academics which I know the right dispises ... decided with global confrencing to move on the further measures to stop a global implosion on an economic level that could have been ... but hey it didn't happen so who knows ... worse than the dirty thirties.

remember Academics write history ...
the rest of us just read and bytch.
and now think we are interactive through the internet mind meld.
so to lynk
breed like mink
ours don't stink
so as to ...
ingest all individualism

rah rah rah ... Corporate America Unite ...

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 04:04 PM
Right ... fear mongering and news broadcasts ... hmmm

CBC does a fine job and CTV and Global ... not bad ...

more just information ... sometimes sucked into global propaganda like everyone else is by a good scam.

generally gets corrected in as quick a fashion as possible.

oH and what was the topic .... JOBs ... where are they ...

well ... if the Banks ... [not government] ... that got bailed out ... [by Bush] ... actually loaned the money out fairly to small business ... you would see some of them by now.

put blame where it belongs and stop believeing FOX news.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 03:49 PM

polls are so wonderful, they depend largely on whom gets polled and the numbers can be cherry picked to show just about anything,,,,

from the same poll

1.MOST voters still didnt think McCain was the better choice

'The country would be better off if John McCain had won the 2008 election, 37 percent of voters say, while 35 percent say the U.S. would be worse off. This compares to 37 - 35 percent who thought in January the U.S. would be worse off under McCain. '

INTERPRETATION: 37 percent thought we would be better off, which means,,63 percent didnt think so,,,,

Them majority of democrats would STILL vote for him, and the majority of republicans STILL wouldnt (79% -7%),,,,no change there

more poll numbers,, GALLUP has OBama at a 46% job approval , GALLUP also had President Reagan ending his second year(which OBama has not yet reached) with a 41% job approval rating, and STARTING his third year (wait for it) with just a 35% job approval,,,Raegan ended his first term with a 58% job approval rating and won the second election in a LANDSLIDE,,,,

ahhhh,, public opinion is such a fickle thing,, almost as fickle as polls :wink:

And this is why so few people here could actually make it as journalists...well, they could probably work for Fox.

Cheers, msharmony.

have to agree with you fully on that one.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 03:41 PM

so what happens when all the big companies, the ones that make billions of dollars in profits a year, sucks up all the money and does not put it back into the economy? people like me, and a few others, suffer more.

actually you should be asking ...

what happens when all the big companies that makes billions stop getting subsidies and pay their fair share in taxes...

then little pooples like you will be much better off.

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 03:01 PM
Edited by Thorb on Wed 07/21/10 03:02 PM
no problem for ladies to not wear pants
skrt or dress works when its hottish
the guys get embarrased and say they can't
unless of course they are Scottish

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/21/10 02:53 PM
I don't open files that end in anything but .txt or .jpg unless they are from a trusted corporate site. Even friends emails may be spam from a hacker ...

A friend had her email hijacked to send spam a little while ago.

also ... regularly turn off your wireless hub when not in use so your network can't be hacked.

hackers hate my dialup.

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 08:00 AM
rainbow trout swimming in a chocolate river on Neptuneglasses

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:58 AM
rofl

People insure themselves, their children, their homes and property but I have never heard of anyone insuring love. I was just wondering if their might be a market for it.:smile:
rofl rofl rofl

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:56 AM

Want?

global peace and understanding with greed put in check and helping hands available to those who are struggling to cope.

oh ...

and love

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:54 AM

and stupid out there today. The only thing is that this is end of August weather and that's the temp in the shade. Anyone experience out of whack weather out there also?
Last summer, it was abnormaly cool and remember thinking that this summer was gonna be brutal.
They're even saying not to walk your animals during the daylight hours due to the cement burning their feet.

there is no such thing as ... typical weather
averages are created but rarely happen

I am no longer surprised about any weather we get, I just try to enjoy the uniqueness of it all.

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:52 AM

think you are?

I don't just think it
I know I'm
ME

even though you think the same thing

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:50 AM
when someone/something dies
we put it in a grave
and grieve for our loss
its sort of feeling sorry for ourselves
a bit of self pity
its not only human as stated above
Elephants do it too.

Thorb's photo
Mon 07/19/10 07:45 AM
Edited by Thorb on Mon 07/19/10 07:48 AM

After watching the movie 2010 it made me think...

The end of the world has come. You have been given two tickets to use for a limited space ark.

what Who would you take with or give the tickets too? And why?what

My choice. I would give both tickets to the niece or nephew who has a child or children. The future is theirs. :smile:

so ... you would force your neice or nephew to choose between their children or spouse as to who they would take ... only 2 tickets you know.

best give them to a childless couple of breeding age but then there would be the incestuous future they would have to put up with ... hmmm makes for a big delema.
can the aliens clone?

Thorb's photo
Fri 07/16/10 10:37 AM
running round in just socks
feels so good while playing rock
don't say that or be in shock
the swing is just another balk

Thorb's photo
Wed 07/14/10 01:15 PM
really depends if its to stay or not and if I have the knowledge I have now or not.

also depends on cloths and equipment I get to take with meoops

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25