Community > Posts By > Thorb

Thorb's photo
Sun 04/17/16 08:40 AM
Tax deferral ... that is what RRSP's are good for.

They are really good for people with fluctuating incomes. Not good for average middle class folk or upper class folk with steady incomes. Poor cannot afford to even try to use them.

Capital gains avoids more tax than income investments and that is a bonus for the richer folk. Our system is set up for them. I agree with the guys that say we should reverse those things if we are really wanting to support economic growth and well being of our citizens. Income should be less taxed and capital gains heavily taxed to stop this inflationary property market. People are bordering on being priced out of property ownership and that is wrong. The wealthy have taken over and now hold everyone else in the grips of inflationary rents and leases. Our government has been bought.

Sorry if I ramble... but I see no future for the youth of this world if we do not change these economic robber baron policies.

Thorb's photo
Sun 04/17/16 08:24 AM
Time is intrinsically linked to Space. Without time we have no true measurement of that space. Every moment we exist we are traveling in time. Much like us not seeming to have electricity without magnetism we do not have space without time.

Now to go back in time would mean we would have to have a negative space and that actually does seem to exist mathematically so mathematically it is quite possible. Now physically, that is a separate matter. A single electron has the potential in its quantum state but as for a whole object as we know it. Seems unlikely at this point in the manipulation of physics.

The best we have is that ... in physical reality, everything we experience is actually a past event. Its in the past before we even realize it has occurred.

We actually live our whole lives in the past and travel constantly through this universe.

Thorb's photo
Sun 04/17/16 08:07 AM
Faith ... is not the sole realm of Religion. go look up the definition of Faith and have faith that you understand what you are reading.

your 6000 year thing is not in the bible ... its some person's deduction of some dates in the bible that do not jive with what we know about how long people can actually live. Physiological fact. You seem to want to go into physics and laws for the purpose of your lame anti evolution argument now use it for your lame 6000 year old bible people argument.

Your dismissal of c-14 dating is premature. it gets faultier after 20k years but does not disintegrate so by the science community [of which I can assume you are not part of] it is still used and accepted. Also there are other ways of dating geologically, that in a properly excavated site, goes way , way back into millions of years and is very acceptable when dealt with by professionals.

Now ... a creator ... He? ... how about It? ... no masculinity involved.

Evolution is beyond life ... it also goes to our Earth ... evolving out of star dust and our Galaxy too. We are observing 13.8 billion years at the speed of light for size of the known Universe. The earth is a tiny dot in a mid sized galaxy in a small galactic cluster in this one of possibly many Universes that 'a creator' made to evolve. [if you so want to believe in a creator] ... The Earth would be about as significant to this 'creator' as one green algae cell would be in a frog pond.

You humans think too much of yourselves.

Thorb's photo
Sun 04/17/16 07:20 AM
Edited by Thorb on Sun 04/17/16 07:22 AM
Its a theory in a field of Science that is compiling what is believed to be pretty good evidence.

Through it we have been able to predict numerous discoveries and relative dates that did go along with them. That is the strength of the belief in it.

People do not set up pews and preach it weekly in an elaborately decorated building on the highest mount dedicated to its merits. So I doubt any believers think its a religion. Its professors are not asking for money for support from these believers either. Most of them are working in a field [often literally] following geological and other scientific predictors.

Thorb's photo
Sun 01/25/15 07:32 PM
if the .1% actually cared about humanity

Thorb's photo
Sun 01/25/15 07:24 PM
Cornwall

Thorb's photo
Mon 02/07/11 04:44 PM
Edited by Thorb on Mon 02/07/11 04:49 PM
confusus say .. woman who fly upside down , have crack up.

as for deep ... that tends to mean you look at a lot of different angles to a problem and ask a lot of questions.

intelligence means you can decern which is the correct answer.

wisdom is knowing if you should tell anyone else.

Thorb's photo
Mon 02/07/11 01:55 PM
as for the shortest sentence .... No.

as for the thought of the day.

"Clean the snow off your doorstep"

Thorb's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:43 AM
Edited by Thorb on Sat 02/05/11 09:47 AM
more of your semantics..... look up the word belief.

asking to explain things that you claim you understand ...
shows that you don't understand.

your a lost cause ... and my part of this discussion is over.

Thorb's photo
Sat 02/05/11 09:29 AM
Well ... maybe you should check into it....
Where I live .... elderly do have to prove their abilities regularly to keep their licences.

as for stupid .... well ... there is no defense against stupid ... and young/new drivers seem to have the biggest amount of stupid.

Thorb's photo
Fri 02/04/11 11:46 AM
throw out those shoes
scrap the hose
powder your nose
you have nothing to lose
Making snow angels
feeling happy & free
ain't that easy when you are me
stuck here in a tropical war zone
way too many miles from home

I guess I could go somewhere on a weekend pass
find some peace from this struggle for class
as I watch orphaned children hunting for bones
I guess I could make angels via text on my phone

Thorb's photo
Fri 02/04/11 11:37 AM
Actually I've noticed over the last 20 some odd years that I am working with smarter better educated and less trash talking fools than in the 70's and 60's.

I've noticed a loss of work ethics and general laziness and feeling of entitlement that looks idiotic or moronic or stupid but in reality is just what it is.... a laziness and lack of work ethics that happens when people feel entitled.

I have also noticed a lot of these people think others are idiots.

Thorb's photo
Fri 02/04/11 10:54 AM
Edited by Thorb on Fri 02/04/11 10:55 AM
the candle is so you don't run your engin while stuck in that snow bank .... its enough heat to keep you from freezing ... and you can toast marshmellows too. Running your engin if the tail pipe is partly blocked could cause you to monoxide yourself into oblivion.

you also should have a folding shovel and ski goggles are also a good idea ... basically have the ability to dress yourself well enough to go out in a blizzard.

cell phone with a gps might help ya too.

as for fishtails .... front wheel and rear wheel drive makes a difference.... first nice snowfall go to an empty parking lot and practice doing donuts. Then you won't worry about it.

Thorb's photo
Thu 02/03/11 09:13 AM
Edited by Thorb on Thu 02/03/11 09:22 AM
Thanks Redy ..... and Creative .... let's just agree to disagree.

if you can't understand that ... Universal Morality would have to happen/occur ... in the child at some age ... I'm wasting my time.
And that the Math example is not a strawman ... your hopeless on that subject.

As for my first post being okay... and the second not.
well the second was only a requested explanation of the first.[ if I can remember back then ... not that it really matters]
I really didn't say anything different just toned the idea down to a simple level of understanding and erased the slight humour by doing so. Oh well.

I'm thinking I'll read a bit and move on with a still sound belief that Morality is not universal.

Thorb's photo
Thu 02/03/11 08:53 AM
Its pretty easy to find out what large deposit interest rates are ... they post them in the newspaper every day.

why would you ask a dating site political forum group about investments .... that's just dumb.

as for the R's ..... I know some old pirates that are missing a few.

Thorb's photo
Thu 02/03/11 08:47 AM
More whiny false generalizations ... makes ya look like a troll.

Thorb's photo
Thu 02/03/11 08:40 AM
MILF= Mother I'd Like'ta ****

what the **** makes you think they are married
what the **** makes you think they are out of their teens or ... under 50?

there is a very large range of Mothers out there and an awful lot of single mothers.

And lots of mothers that if they were going to lay a younger guy ... they could be arrested for statutory rape.

So .... skip the younger aspect and married aspect and wow.... there are still a lot of MILFs left for all of you horny guys.

Thorb's photo
Thu 02/03/11 08:30 AM
if we all just got along

Thorb's photo
Sun 01/30/11 10:27 AM
Alegorical
inspiration
curious
20/20 hindsight on analysis
translated a few times over

definate skeptic here

Thorb's photo
Sun 01/30/11 10:20 AM

Thorb:

I'm not interjecting between you and spider ... that is your problem ... you are losing so far.

If you believe that, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell ya. Evidently, you've mistaken Spider's overconfidence(ignorance is bliss) with the truth regarding the matter at hand. Go back and read exactly what he and I both claimed about moral realism, and then look at both of the links he offered.

Regarding our discussion(yours and mine I mean) I'm agreeing with the claim that morals come from society. That agreement comes from using the most common meanings of the term morals. What I am attempting to set straight here is the fact that morals and morality are two different things.

I am actually finding yours and Spider's discussion more sidesteps in general and I never have been a fan of this quote in quote in quote system in here.... makes for too much scrolling on my crappy computer.

As for Morals and Morality being two different things...
well I'm glad you didn't say ... completely different for one hindges on the definition of the other and that would only make them partly different.

Morality is basically morals in action. It does not jump up and stand as a universal law or universal truth. Its shaped by culture of society or used as a measure of society.

Your semantics here is no different than saying math and calculations are not the same thing.

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25