Community > Posts By > paul1217

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 06:46 PM

It all relates to history
Past, present, and future history is always related.

Those who fail to remember history are doomed to repeat it.

There was a time in Afghanistan when women could vote and go to school.
They were a monarchy with a Parliamentary Gov like the British.

They were a boundary State during the Cold War and abused by both sides.
They have asked us for help twice. One when the earned their Independence from England in 1919, and once in 1958.
Both times we turned them down.
Both times at a critical junction in their history and development.
Both times Russia, an ally in their Independence, accepted.

The only time we did help was to create the building block for a Terrorist State.

History does matter.

I realize History matters, The taliban came to power thanks to weapons and aid that America provided during the war with Russia. I ask the question because after fighting a war there for almost 10 years and our economy being in such lousy shape, isn't it time we stopped spending billions of dollars before we end up the same way the Soviet Union did?

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 06:26 PM

But it was a blizzard!

I get that, I really do. I understand that the weather was really bad.

My point, which nearly everyone seems to miss, is that CITY WORKERS who are paid with TAXPAYER MONEY were STRIKING and intentionally doing a BAD JOB. If they had done the best they could, I would agree with you, that it was a terrible, but unavoidable death. But they weren't doing their best, according to five of the city workers.

What part of this do you guys disagree with? Do you think we should change our laws, so that we eliminate "criminal negligence" as a crime? You guys seem so blase about the fact that people decided to not do their job right, which might have lead to the loss of human life. It's a symptom of what is wrong with our society, when human life has so little value that the negligent loss of life isn't deemed a crime.

Again you are quoting 5 workers out of over a thousand. I was out plowing in that storm, and during the height of the storm from after midnight until almost 8 am you could not keep up with it. With the wind blowing the snow back as fast as you could plow it. Add to that that in NYC there is absolutely no place to put that amount of snow. I think it is incredibly unfair for you or the media to try to blame the death of anyone by an act of nature on Sanitation Workers as a group. If there are a few bad apples they should be investigated and punished accordingly. But you and the media are throwing out generalized accusations at the group as a whole. And the video that you referenced caused all kinds of outrage when it ran on the news and anyone, that knows anything about heavy equipment, knows there was nothing that operator could do.

I'll take those five people's word over 1000 people who might be guilty of a crime. It's up to the courts to decide, but I see that they had nothing to gain from their report.

Anyone who isn't a total moron would know that the front end loader was hitting the car.

So you would condemn the entire Sanitation Dept. on the word of 5 people, who as you stated were told "not to do there jobs". Did it occur to you that perhaps the reason they came forward was to explain why they weren't doing their job. If the majority of the Sanitation Dept. had listened to the "Supervisors" that told them not to do there job New York City would still be buried under 2 feet of snow with drifts over 4 feet.

He knew he was hitting the car but he was being towed backwards by a heavy duty wrecker while he had no traction on ice. There was absolutely nothing that any operator could have done at that point. It's called an accident, that sort of thing happens during a blizzard. Again you are combining two unrelated issues to try and justify your position. Did you watch the entire video or just enough to form an opinion about a topic you are obviously ignorant about?

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 06:10 PM
I'm just curious if anyone in our government or military owns a history book. No one has won a war in Afghanistan in over a thousand years. The Soviet union fought in Afghanistan for 9 years until it bankrupt the country. And now we've been there longer. Secure our borders and let them keep killing each other like they have been doing for longer than the United States have existed. Who are we to invade a country and impose our values on a culture that has existed for thousands of years longer than we have.

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 04:10 PM

But it was a blizzard!

I get that, I really do. I understand that the weather was really bad.

My point, which nearly everyone seems to miss, is that CITY WORKERS who are paid with TAXPAYER MONEY were STRIKING and intentionally doing a BAD JOB. If they had done the best they could, I would agree with you, that it was a terrible, but unavoidable death. But they weren't doing their best, according to five of the city workers.

What part of this do you guys disagree with? Do you think we should change our laws, so that we eliminate "criminal negligence" as a crime? You guys seem so blase about the fact that people decided to not do their job right, which might have lead to the loss of human life. It's a symptom of what is wrong with our society, when human life has so little value that the negligent loss of life isn't deemed a crime.

Again you are quoting 5 workers out of over a thousand. I was out plowing in that storm, and during the height of the storm from after midnight until almost 8 am you could not keep up with it. With the wind blowing the snow back as fast as you could plow it. Add to that that in NYC there is absolutely no place to put that amount of snow. I think it is incredibly unfair for you or the media to try to blame the death of anyone by an act of nature on Sanitation Workers as a group. If there are a few bad apples they should be investigated and punished accordingly. But you and the media are throwing out generalized accusations at the group as a whole. And the video that you referenced caused all kinds of outrage when it ran on the news and anyone, that knows anything about heavy equipment, knows there was nothing that operator could do.

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 02:36 PM

My state has had 2 blizzards this year, and people died either from fires, frostbite or trying to swim in a frozen river. Either way people died during the blizzard and its nobody's fault. It happens. Also, I have to plow the snow off the runways and the parking garages and Paul is right about not being able to hear anyone outside the cabin. And after 14 hours of pushing snow, I will sleep in the cabin after I've been relieved by someone else.

Theres just too much speculation about the evils of sanitation workers. I am one and belive me, we are always the first to be blamed for everything under the sun, even if we have no direct influence over it.

"Trying to swim in a frozen river"?? That doesn't sound like it's blizzard related. Sounds more like natural selection. lol Keep up the good work. I plow the office parking lot and a few driveways and the idiots out driving in blizzards never ceases to amaze me. At the height of this last storm I saw a guy out driving a Mini Cooper. During a major blizzard if your job isn't a matter of life or death, STAY HOME. You only make things worse and get in the way.

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 01:41 PM

Anyone who has not plowed snow should try it before they open their mouths. The snow was falling and blowing so fast during that storm that it was nearly impossible to keep ahead of it. Add to that the people that were out driving in the storm that had no business being on the road. The minute the snow stopped, giving the plows a chance to catch up, every idiot started driving around. Within an hour of the end of the snow fall, I saw people taking there children sleigh riding on the exit ramp for two major highways making it near impossible to clear the roadways for traffic.

As for the video which everyone has seen by now, that machine was being towed by a " Private contractor" and under the slippery conditions, being towed in reverse that operator didn't have a chance. As for him not stopping "while people were yelling at him", the guy doing the yelling was the guy taking the video from six stories above him. He didn't hear a thing. Perhaps you should keep your mouth shut and give the guys a break. They are out there working long hours in terrible conditions so you can get out and drive to work. Do you think it's easy to take on Mother Nature while having to deal with ungrateful idiots who get in your way and make your job even harder.

Except for the 5 guys who reported that they were told to not to their jobs, right? They were just lying for no reason, while everyone else was working their butts off?

And on the video, you can hear a woman standing on the street yelling at the CITY WORKERS who are tearing up a car for no reason. Then a small crowd of people come off the sidewalk to yell at the CITY WORKERS. The driver of the front end loader should have just used his bucket to push it out of the snow.

So your basing your opinions on 5 people out of over a thousand. There are lazy people in every profession and there are people who will say anything to get themselves out of trouble when they are caught red handed not doing there job. And since you obviously have no experience whatsoever working in or around heavy equipment, let me clue you in to a few things.

1. When you are in the cab of a machine of that size you can not hear anything except the sound of the machine. Somebody could be screaming at the top of their lungs and unless they are standing on the steps of the machine with the door open you will not hear a thing.

2. No equipment operator in the world would call for a tow truck unless he had exhausted every possibility of getting out of the situation on his own. Those machines are designed for use in dirt not on ice.

3. when you are being towed backwards and the machine starts to slide there is very little you can do about it when you have no traction.

You are making it sound like the operator of the machine intentionally destroyed the SUV. There is only one way that he would have intentionally damaged the vehicle. If the vehicle was parked in a snow emergency route, as hundreds of drivers do.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But until you know all the facts why don't you stop grouping every sanitation worker into the same category.

Enough of the Monday morning Quaterbacking, unless you'd like to pick up a shovel and dig yourself out next time give the guys who were out there all night trying to clear the roads a break. I hope for your sake nobody that drives a plow in your neighborhood has seen your posts, or next storm you'll be lucky to get out by Memorial Day.

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/31/10 11:02 AM
Anyone who has not plowed snow should try it before they open their mouths. The snow was falling and blowing so fast during that storm that it was nearly impossible to keep ahead of it. Add to that the people that were out driving in the storm that had no business being on the road. The minute the snow stopped, giving the plows a chance to catch up, every idiot started driving around. Within an hour of the end of the snow fall, I saw people taking there children sleigh riding on the exit ramp for two major highways making it near impossible to clear the roadways for traffic.

As for the video which everyone has seen by now, that machine was being towed by a " Private contractor" and under the slippery conditions, being towed in reverse that operator didn't have a chance. As for him not stopping "while people were yelling at him", the guy doing the yelling was the guy taking the video from six stories above him. He didn't hear a thing. Perhaps you should keep your mouth shut and give the guys a break. They are out there working long hours in terrible conditions so you can get out and drive to work. Do you think it's easy to take on Mother Nature while having to deal with ungrateful idiots who get in your way and make your job even harder.

paul1217's photo
Tue 12/28/10 04:04 PM

I would rally like to find the man who can tame me!!

Is that to frigging much to ask????

Huh?????

Huh????:heart:

I have a safari outfit, a stool and a whip. That's what the circus lion tamers use. Do you think that might help?:wink: laugh

paul1217's photo
Sun 12/26/10 11:51 AM

Oh Paul
No ones ever alone with gossip around!!! You know that!!

Now get on my Facebook!!! Hehebigsmile :heart:

I'd prefer to have you on my Facebook. I firmly believe women come first. And sometimes second and third. :wink: :wink: laugh flowers

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/24/10 12:25 PM
With any luck that stunt removed him from the gene pool. LOL Willing to bet there was a lot of alcohol required to make that seem like a good idea.oops oops rofl rofl rofl slaphead slaphead

paul1217's photo
Fri 12/24/10 12:16 PM

Does anyone despise the holidays like I do? I have no family, no kids and I don't even have a man in my life and my parents live 2000 miles away! I have spent the last 3yrs alone and it gets really depressing during this time of year. Can anyone sympathize with me? I hope 2011 will be a better year for me all around.

I can sympathize. I have a daughter, who spends every holiday with my ex. Being alone at family functions has gotten to the point that it is not bearable, seeing everyone with their partner. Add to that the fact that a week ago I spent my birthday alone, which I have done for the last few years. I know exactly how you feel.

Merry Christmas! flowers flowers You are not alone in your solitude, there are others who are going through the same thing.

paul1217's photo
Thu 12/23/10 11:38 PM
How do you cope with the holidays alone?

paul1217's photo
Tue 12/21/10 08:50 PM
What is the longest you have gone without being in a relationship?

paul1217's photo
Sun 12/05/10 11:05 AM
I'd like to be covered in Gossip.:wink:

paul1217's photo
Sat 12/04/10 06:22 PM

"man is born to be polygamous"

I don't believe this statement. But in my experience, woman seem to be attracted to men that do believe this. The "nice guys" get put in the friend zone and you just run to him when the guy cheats on you. frustrated frustrated oops Sorry just got off the phone with a friend.rofl rofl

paul1217's photo
Wed 11/24/10 12:19 PM
Took a perfect sunset picture from the exact location we first made love, added an original verse ( that can be found in the creative writing forum under " Friendship's Journey") placed it in a hand made oak frame and gave it to here for Valentines day.:heart:

She asked me to reprint the picture without the verse, never displayed it, and within a couple of weeks replaced the picture with one of her and another guy. Who says romance is dead.laugh laugh laugh

paul1217's photo
Tue 03/30/10 01:12 PM
I've been called worse.............by better.

paul1217's photo
Tue 03/23/10 03:24 PM
Thanks

paul1217's photo
Sat 03/20/10 12:41 PM
Thanks to all above.:smile:

paul1217's photo
Mon 03/08/10 06:24 PM
WOW