Community > Posts By > paul1217

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 09:34 PM

I have a question for the women out there. I have asked a few of my close female friends and never seem to get a straight answer. Why is it that women want to be "Best Friends" with a nice guy, then they want to get involved in a "relationship" with a guy that treats them like crap?frustrated frustrated Then to add insult to injury, so to speak, why do they run back to their " Best Friend" and ***** about the way they were treated?slaphead slaphead

Chemistry babay...
it's all about chemistry.
We can't control that and why would we want to?!?!
Peopleoids take this whole dating and mating thing WAAAAAY to serious.
...and not all of us want the *** ~ hole guys. Geez, there seems to be a theme in the threads...must be time for another nice guy thread.

nice guy threads... i those guys went extinct years ago???

Very rare but not completely extinct yet. laugh

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 09:29 PM
Same thing I do every night, preparing to take over the world.happy

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 09:17 PM
Edited by paul1217 on Fri 03/18/11 09:18 PM
Simone,

Well if I was out at a club right now, I would miss have missed the chance to chat with you.flowers :wink:

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 09:09 PM
Here, but it's actually Saturday morning here.laugh waving

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 08:11 PM
You're from where? Oh that sucks I'm from New York! laugh laugh laugh

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 06:36 PM
I usually end up with the opposite problem. I want to find a woman that I can be friends with first. In my experience the deeper the friendship becomes the more the woman is afraid that sex will end up ruining the friendship.

I have a question for the women out there. I have asked a few of my close female friends and never seem to get a straight answer. Why is it that women want to be "Best Friends" with a nice guy, then they want to get involved in a "relationship" with a guy that treats them like crap?frustrated frustrated Then to add insult to injury, so to speak, why do they run back to their " Best Friend" and ***** about the way they were treated?slaphead slaphead

Am I just a hopeless romantic? Or am I just wasting too much time waiting for "it" to happen naturally?

Would any of you ladies like to help a nice guy figure out how to stay out of the "Friend Zone"?

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 06:11 PM

you won't make any friends knocking on beers. just sit back, wait for the waitress in the french maid outfit to come by and grab a beer frienddrinker

I have nothing against beer. I consider the four basic food groups Malt, Hops, Barley and Water. imho Coors light just goes a little heavy on the water. laugh Please forgive my transgression, I guess a few more beers are needed before we can make jokes about beers.drinker drinker drinker

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 05:53 PM

here's a pic of how mag should bring ours beers

I always equate Coors Lite with "Sex on the Beach".

That stuff is F...in near water!laugh laugh

paul1217's photo
Fri 03/18/11 05:37 PM
Edited by paul1217 on Fri 03/18/11 05:43 PM
A picture is always helpful. You can also just jump into the forums. There are all kinds of topics and there are a lot of people in there that are just looking for someone to talk to. Hop into a couple of threads and people will get to know you. If you see someone who interests you, say hi, flirt, nudge. Most of us are here for the same reason. waving

A little more info in the profile might help too. No photo and very little in profile tends to make people wonder if it's real, or just someone who's here for a day and gone. I looked but there really isn't much info there. I can only speak for myself, but if I can't see any thing about a person, to see if we have anything in common, I don't see much reason to contact.

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 09:34 PM

You are correct and I apologize for the inaccuracy. It was your nest statement that confused me on the Mass vs. Weight issue.

"To muddle the issue, the increase is mass is ONLY in relation to objects that are in earth's gravitational field. "

Mass is not a function of Gravity, if you move and object beyond the measurable influence of the earth's gravitational field the mass would not be affected.

I inadvertently combined the two statements, and boy do you grade tough. lol Is there a curve involved?

Lol, I am fat, yes, and my balls are curved sometimes.

While what you said above is true, the fact remains that the combined mass as could be measured, by some instrument, of earth and the ball I lifted, remains constant, the ball and the Earth still gain mass, as their energy increases.

There is a loss of mass in my muscles, not biological, but physical, because they convert energy to lift the ball into work. The work becomes the energy of the ball and the earth, as they get distanced by a foot.

I was wrong. You are right. The balance is gained by the loss of mass in the object that performs the work to elevate en energy level.

This was well done. You get upgraded to a B+, but don`t tell the principal, please, because his principle is never to Bell the students.

Or was that never to ball the students? Darn it, I can`t remember.

I guess I just have to do both, and see which he bawls me out for.

The physicist: the forever experimenter.

I had not read your previous response before I wrote this one and I must again apologize for coming across like I was pointing out mistakes. I should have phrased it differently. I enjoy the discussions in here because most people look at me like I'm out of my mind if I try to discuss Physics in the real world. I find the discussions interesting.

I am in no way an expert of any kind. I did take a high school physics course and Physics 101 in college, but that's as far as I went. I am just interested in intelligent conversation on topics that interest me. With the open discussion comes knowledge and the exchange of ideas.

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 09:06 PM
You are correct and I apologize for the inaccuracy. It was your nest statement that confused me on the Mass vs. Weight issue.

"To muddle the issue, the increase is mass is ONLY in relation to objects that are in earth's gravitational field. "

Mass is not a function of Gravity, if you move and object beyond the measurable influence of the earth's gravitational field the mass would not be affected.

I inadvertently combined the two statements, and boy do you grade tough. lol Is there a curve involved?

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 05:55 PM

This was meant to help understand the relationship between mass and energy at the atomic level and does not literally translate to concepts of consumable or renewable energies. When fossil fuels are burned the total mass of the fuel is not converted to energy. Combustion only converts the heavier hydrocarbons to other molecules having less mass the energy that is released from gasoline is only a fraction of the energy stored in the molecules. We are no where near the technology required to fully convert mass to energy in a productive manner. The closest we have come to large scale conversion of mass to energy is for purely destructive purposes.

This is exactly what I had thought for the longest time. It turns out that if you burn a match, and measure its mass before the fire and the particles that it becomes after the fire, the masses will not be equivalent.

This is even harder to get your mind wrapped around. If you elevate a poing-poing ball with your hand about a foot, then its weight will be smaller due to being farther away from Earth's centre of gravity, but its mass will increase because its energy state has been raised by lateral energy store.

To muddle the issue, the increase is mass is ONLY in relation to objects that are in earth's gravitational field.

You can say everything is in Earth's gravitational force, so the day is saved, righ? Well, right. The earth's mass ought to stay constant with this change, when you factor in the energy change of the poing-poing ball, right? Right!! Because i if you work out the math, the energy gain and mass gain will cancel each other out neatly for the objects that are in Earth's gravitational field.

But the fact remains, that, Canada for instance, burns up in chemical and other forms of energy usage, about 1 kg of matter every year.

This means the earth, on the average, loses about a metric tonne or two in mass, due to energy conversion by humans for their own purpose only, but without losing any material to drift into space in this process.

Those who worry about Earth becoming an anorexic planet in the Solar System sense: Please relax, in the knowledge that debris from space that come raining down on earth as meteorites, sunshine and other sun rays, radiowaves, pulsar-emitted gamma rays, space dust and Heralds of Angels, way more than offset this loss.

In fact, the earth has been gaining weight faster than I, although I have been no slouch in this area of human endeavour, either.

What does this mean to us in a practical level?

That each day you step on the bathroom scale, your shown weight does not correspond exactly to your mass the previous day; you will weigh in heavier, without having gained any mass (or without having gained "weight" as spoken on street-level colloquialisms), since the pull of earth's gravity is increasing constantly with time. Well not constnatly, but near emough for our measuring instrument, the kitchen or bathroom scale.

Don't go running to GoodWill with all your "before" clothes, though, having heard this. The weight you gain to this above downscribed effect, is 0.000739 picogramms per year, which can only be calculated, but not measured by any instrument or scale or balance, because the instrument would need to be accurate to21 significant digits, which is stupendously hard to even imagine.

There are a few problems with your "burning match" statement. When you weigh the match you are getting a "weight" not a "mass". weight is a function of gravity and does vary depending upon the force of gravity at the point taken. Mass is often confused with weight, because weight is used to determine mass. The mass of an object is not a function of gravity and is constant whether the object is on the Earths surface or in the "zero gravity of space".

Setting that aside because if the weight before and after burning were both taken at the same location the would be an accurate comparison of the mass before and after. The next flaw in your statement is you are only weighing the "mass" of the match, the act of combustion, burning, causes some of the mass of the original mass to be converted to energy in the form of heat and light. Some of the mass of the match is also lost when carbon and other chemicals in the solid match combine with oxygen in the air to form gases, such as carbon monoxide and dioxide. Since you can't collect and weigh those parts of the original match you can't accurately determine the amount of mass that was actually converted to energy, some of the mass was not converted to energy it was simply changed through a chemical reaction to a different compound that still has mass.

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 05:36 PM

The scientific principal you are actually dealing with is ...

"There is no free lunch".

The closest thing to free energy would probably be geothermal. The Earth produces heat from radioactivity which then turns into heat which is eventually radiated out into space.

Man's use of geothermal energy just reduces the amount of heat directly radiated into space by a very small percentage but he makes up for it in oh so many ways. Geothermal use has almost no effect on climate or the planet in general if done properly.

Most of the heat produced by the Earth is not actually produced, and very little of it is due to radioactivity. The heat stored in the Earths core is energy left over from the formation of the planet. This heat is stored, below about 25 miles of the Earths crust, in the form of molten rock known as magma. That heat, 1000's of degrees, is pretty well insulated from us by the Earths crust. The technology to drill deep enough into the crust, in most areas, to utilize that heat on any commercial scale is not cost effective at present.

While geothermal energy is useful in some areas, it is a common misconception that geothermal energy takes heat from the ground and that heat is directly used to heat buildings. While this is possible in certain areas that are usually volcanically active, for most areas geothermal energy is only a supplement.

In most areas the temperature below the "frost line", usually not more than 4-5 feet below grade, is fairly constant year round. That temperature with slight regional variations is about 54 degrees Farenheit. In most areas that is the temperature that the geothermal wells are designed to collect and transport to the surface for use to heat buildings. Heat pumps are then used to raise the temperature to a point that it can be used to provide warmth.

As a Certified Well Driller, I am familiar with the installation of the geothermal wells and the subsurface temperatures. I am not completely versed in the operation of Heat pumps other than the fact that most of them are electrically operated and they require a minimum input temperature somewhere around 45 to 55 degrees to operate efficiently. For this reason most of the geothermal systems, residential and small commercial scale, are only financially viable alternatives in areas where the electrical costs are not prohibitive.

Geothermal can be also be used for cooling applications and it's efficiency for cooling is a lot better than its efficiensy as a heat source.

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 04:56 PM

We can convert mass into energy and I think equation is as given by great scientist Einstein, E= mc2. Is reverse also true, ie can energy be converted into mass?explode

This is actually only 1 line from the entire quote by Einstein:

"It followed from the special theory of relativity that mass and energy are both but different manifestations of the same thing -- a somewhat unfamiliar conception for the average mind. Furthermore, the equation E is equal to m c-squared, in which energy is put equal to mass, multiplied by the square of the velocity of light, showed that very small amounts of mass may be converted into a very large amount of energy and vice versa. The mass and energy were in fact equivalent, according to the formula mentioned above. This was demonstrated by Cockcroft and Walton in 1932, experimentally."

This was meant to help understand the relationship between mass and energy at the atomic level and does not literally translate to concepts of consumable or renewable energies. When fossil fuels are burned the total mass of the fuel is not converted to energy. Combustion only converts the heavier hydrocarbons to other molecules having less mass the energy that is released from gasoline is only a fraction of the energy stored in the molecules. We are no where near the technology required to fully convert mass to energy in a productive manner. The closest we have come to large scale conversion of mass to energy is for purely destructive purposes.

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 04:17 PM
Well if this theory can be proven then why haven't the scientists that are working on it now, after proving it in the future, just send themselves a message from the future that will help them prove it now.slaphead slaphead

Maybe it's because like the conspiracy theorists have stated in the past, that the problems at CERN are the result of future scientists intentionally sabotaging the LHC, because in the future the LHC causes a catastrophic disaster that will eventually destroy the planet. So scientists from the future are sending messages back to the present to keep the scientists from the present from destroying the future. If these scientists from the future are successful the scientists from the present will fail, thereby causing the scientists in the future to have nothing to worry about. But if they have nothing to worry about they won't send anything back to the past and the scientists from the present will continue on the course they are on destroying the future.

I think I have a headache now! Good thing those tiny little particles can't create any type of paradox.oops oops rofl rofl noway noway

paul1217's photo
Thu 03/17/11 03:46 PM
I was told before I got married that if you take a nickel and put it in a jar every time you have sex until your first anniversary, then after the first year remove a nickel every time you have sex you will never empty the jar! laugh She got the jar in the divorce so I guess I'll never know!rofl rofl

paul1217's photo
Wed 03/16/11 05:31 PM
There is nothing about a pregnant woman that is deserving of any type of condescending look or remark. Unless of course she is walking down the street smoking a cigarette and carrying a fifth of scotch. I think what you are experiencing is the one of the unfortunate aspects of life in a small town. You stated that everyone knows everyone, and knows you are a single mom and unfortunately sometimes a small towns can have a large population of narrow minds. Good Luck and Good Health to you and your child. Don't let them get to you.happy

paul1217's photo
Wed 03/16/11 05:18 PM
Hay, Haley!laugh How are you this wonderful evening?

paul1217's photo
Wed 03/16/11 05:11 PM
I can't speak for myself, but I have a female friend that has gotten involved with a Hiking club. She absolutely loves it she has met great people, viewed some beautiful scenery, and gotten into great shape. She has said that she gets a little sore after a strenuous hike, but like any exercise it gets easier the more you do it. As for it's effectiveness, I can only say that she looks incredible. She has been Hiking for about 6-8 months and looks 10 years younger.

A lot has to do with your location, if you have easy access to scenic trails, and some willing company give it a try. If you are inexperienced you may want to look into a local group. Keep in mind that like any sport the proper equipment is important too. Hiking can put stress on different parts of the body than a gym workout. Boots with good ankle support are a MUST, uneven terrain, slippery footings and other natural hazards can cause twisted ankles or worse if you are not properly equipped. Give it a try, go take a hike! laugh

paul1217's photo
Wed 03/16/11 04:18 PM
Blonde
Brunette
Auburn
Redhead
laugh laugh