Community > Posts By > Smartazzjohn

Smartazzjohn's photo
Wed 09/15/21 08:58 AM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Wed 09/15/21 08:59 AM

Former Detroit Chief of Police James Craig is running for governor in Michigan.

He's a black man running as a Republican so the media will probably be accusing him of being a racist.

But as chief of police he would've had a contract, fully employed, not elected?

What the head of any policing agency/department faces when they leave whether it's by resigning/quitting, getting fired or not being reelected the situation is the same. When an official is elected they have basically enter into contractual agreement that like every employment contract has time limit.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Tue 09/14/21 05:46 PM
Former Detroit Chief of Police James Craig is running for governor in Michigan.

He's a black man running as a Republican so the media will probably be accusing him of being a racist.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Mon 09/13/21 09:59 AM
I don't have a problem with "guidance" evolving UNLESS it's completely OPPOSITE of prior guidance. Dr. Fauci told us masks WEREN'T effective in reducing the spread of the virus when the pandemic was starting and later not only told us we needed to wear masks he said wearing MORE than one mask was more effective. That ISN'T evolving guidance, those are opposite and contradictory positions.

My problem is with "medical experts", politicians, the media etc. telling me what I should do.

NONE of the "medical experts" have access to MY medical records, nor have THEY EXAMINED ME or KNOW MY PERSONAL RISK factors so how can THEY act as my PERSONAL physician?????

Politicians and the media don't have the EXPERTISE to TELL ME that I HAVE to get a vaccine let alone mandate that I get vaccinated.

They ALL should be ASKING us (not telling us) to see OUR PERSONAL doctors to get PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL guidance based on our INDIVIDUAL medical condition.

I got the vaccine AFTER doing my OWN research and getting advise from a medical professional who KNOWS more than I know, and most importantly KNOWS MY health status and gave me PERSONALIZED ADVISE not an ultimatum. I didn't get vaccinated based on what Trump said, what Biden said, what the media said, what "medical experts" like Dr. Fauci said who DON'T know MY health status. I'm an adult, I don't need politicians, the media or "medical experts" to treat me like a child unable to make my own decisions.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Mon 09/13/21 08:29 AM
When asked if vaccines should be mandatory a video shows President-elect Biden saying "No — I don't think it should be mandatory. I wouldn't demand it to be mandatory,"

I can't say that he broke a promise or that he actually lied.
I CAN'T even say whether or not he REMEMBERS what he said yesterday let alone what he said 10 months ago.
What I can say is that it turned out his statement WASN'T TRUE!!!

Smartazzjohn's photo
Sat 09/11/21 02:27 PM
There may not be evidence claiming vaccinated people won’t get covid however there are political leaders who HAVE said you WON'T get Covid if you get vaccinated.

"You're not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations," President Biden said in the CNN interview.

Much of the media, who tend to lean left and support Democrats like Biden, jumped in to say it was a "gaffe" to make an excuse for an erroneous statement (at best or a lie at worse)when they couldn't avoid the backlash from what was in fact misinformation.

Personally I don't think it was a gaffe because of other statements Biden has made that were untrue. Do I think Biden comment about not getting Covid if you are vaccinated was done to hurt people? Absolutely not.

I think most people should get vaccinated. I have NO problem with politicians encouraging people to get vaccinated. I DO have a problem with lying in order to coerce people to get vaccinated. I DO have a problem with FORCING people to receive ANY medication they aren't comfortable with taking.

I've been vaccinated. I had NO adverse reaction to either one of the two Pfizer vaccine shots I got other than a sore arm which went away quickly. That was my experience which I gladly share with skeptics. I've talked to a couple people who got the Moderna vaccine who had side effects that were from being sick with flu like symptoms for a day to someone who was sick for more than a week. I also share what I've heard from people who got the Moderna vaccine with skeptics.

But I'm NOT going to support FORCING ANYONE TO do what I DECIDED to do.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Sat 09/11/21 10:05 AM

We were told if we got the vaccine we were protected from getting Coovid and would be able to return to "normal life"
Now we are being told that the vaccine DOESN'T protect us from unvaccinated people.

Now how exactly are unvaccinated people a danger to vaccinated people if what we were told about the vaccines is TRUE???????

We were either lied to by the CDC, medical experts and politicians INCLUDING Biden that have been preaching that vaccines are effective......Or we are being lied to by Biden that unvaccinated people are danger to the whole country.
It's insulting to the intelligence of anyone with even minimal deductive reasoning that we can't figure out that at least one of those things is a lie.
this is the information from the NZ Ministry Of health ..

“As with any vaccine, the Pfizer vaccine (Comirnaty) may NOT FULLY PROTECT everyone who gets it. However, it is highly effective if people have both doses. That means, if you do catch COVID-19, you’re far less likely to fall seriously ill and less likely to transmit the virus to others.”

When the covid vaccines were developed and approved , the delta mutation was not part of that process . It is unrealistic to expect the current vaccines will protect against new mutations . For that same reason , influenza vaccines are updated every year .

Can you show me the evidence claiming vaccinated people won’t get covid .

While people remain unvaccinated there is potential for new more harmful mutations and continued spread of covid ... that in itself represents a danger to everyone .

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/health/breakthrough-covid-infections-show-the-unvaccinated-are-now-putting-the-vaccinated-at-risk

http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccine-effectiveness-and-protection

Why are you asking me the condescending question "Can you show me the evidence claiming vaccinated people won’t get covid"???

I'm not an ill informed or uninformed rube, you should know better by now. SMH

Smartazzjohn's photo
Sat 09/11/21 09:55 AM

a question?? over the past year and a half since covid 19 escaped the lab.
what happened to the different flu strains that took 100's of thousands of lives every year??
did they mysteriously die off? or did they continue to infect people, and get counted as covid cases? Dr.s admitted that they are very difficult to tell apart.
but there has been no mention of the flu beyond that.
and the main cause of deaths are due to underlying conditions. same as with people that come down with the flu.

people will continue getting sick. like the flu, it wont get wiped out.
it will continue to morph and develop more strains. as it has been doing.
it is part of our lives now.

all we can do is learn to live with it. mind the reports of out breaks in your area, get the shots, stay home if your not feeling well. and live your lives.

Hi Richard waving . firstly , the last I heard the original source of covid is still unknown . Until there is evidence of a lab leak I am not going to speculate .

Secondly , The low circulating number of influenza infections during this covid pandemic has been mainly attributed to a couple of factors ...

1. The mass reduction of international travel . Similar to covid ...,.influenza is imported !!

2. Lockdowns , social distancing , wearing of masks , hand hygiene , quarantine , the requirement to stay home when sick, especially with any respiratory symptoms .

3. Increased uptake of influenza vaccinations .

While it may seem like influenza has disappeared , the reality is .. it hasn’t and there is concern over what will happen when the world reopens . Also concern if the previous influenza vaccine will be effective against whatever strain is eventually transmitted .

Recently , NZ and Australia introduced a travel bubble between our two countries . Coincidentally both countries battled with a winter surge of RSV (respiratory syncytial virus ) which placed an immense strain on our hospital system .

We may have “learned to live” with seasonal influenza (strains that we can successfully vaccinate against ) but I still recall the impact of H1N1 which was a novel influenza strain (commonly called swine flu) . .. thankfully I didn’t experience the Spanish Flu outbreak .

Personally , I do not feel we are at the stage we can safely “learn to live with covid “. Our vaccinations are new ( approx 8 months now in circulation ). Our knowledge about covid has improved but there are still many unanswered questions and major limitations with treatment options and healthcare resources . To “live with covid “ requires that outbreaks can be managed !!! Global herd immunity is still a considerable time away . Delta has seen a big surge in vaccination rates but untill rates are optimal and as long as countries remain disadvantaged when it comes to vaccination access/ distribution , the door is wide open for further mutations and uncontrolled spread

A couple of links you may be interested in reading ...

http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2783644

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/covid-19-coronavirus-australia-no-flu-deaths-this-year-but-that-could-change-experts-warn/M2FASIZRNEJZ2AACLOPAVHXIVI/

I will certainly be watching the UK closely as it heads into winter with interest and concern .

sorry blondie.. maybe I'm just speaking for my self here..so no disrespect meant.

1) the source has been widely reported as being from a virology facility out of the Wuhan district of china. from which it was first reported to the C.D.C.,
but that's a matter of choice as to if you believe the news that has reported it, or not or the scientists that have shown it has a human fingerprint in its design.

2) the lock downs did not stop the spread of the covid virus. so it would have had a similar effect with the spread flu virus. and it is spread the same way as the flu.

3) vaccines for the different flu strains have been around and have been used for generations. and people with the flu have all ways been asked to stay at home.
but 100's of thousands of people still died from it annually. so I dont understand the under reporting going on.
still does not explain why there has not been a single warning of a flu outbreak reminding us to get our shots, since the covid-19 hit..
I dont believe the flu disappeared, nor the deaths caused by it.
just as I dont believe people that died from other health conditions, mysteriously disappeared.
the vaccines for covid are new, and just like when a new strain of the flu is reported, the vaccines only help prevent the spread. and there are some people that experience side effects. it is a persons choice to take them or not (though that is being challenged as many people have been mandated into forced compliance).

to me it is not a matter of feeling we are at a stage where we can feel comfortable with having the corona virus in our lives.
it is here, and it is continuing to mutate. so we either learn to live with it.. or live in fear of it for the rest of our lives..

get vaccinated, pay attention to outbreaks in your area, and take care as you all ways have been told, when an infectious virus has been reported in your area..

but live your lives.

other viewpoints are always welcome Richard .. no need to apologise .

I haven’t seen any recent information confirming a lab leak for covid .. just that investigations with China continue to be hampered . Would be helpful if you can post links for your source so I can see who is saying what :-)

To clarify .. influenza is primarily spread through large respiratory DROPLETS which are unable to remain suspended in the air for sustained periods or distances . Covid in comparison is believed to be AIRBORNE with suspension of fine particles being the primary mode of transmission .

As for lockdown not stopping the spread of the virus .. I disagree completely . Take a look at what happened recently in NZ .. we have been without community transmission or lockdown for a large part of this year .
one case of covid in the community was detected on the 17 August ( linked to a recent delta outbreak in Australia ). The whole of NZ went into immediate lockdown on the 18th of August . Within days the outbreak had grown . Take a look at this timeline
http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126158263/covid19-a-timeline-of-the-delta-outbreak

Yesterday we were down to 13 new cases . Had that lockdown not happened so fast , I have little doubt we would be dealing with a dire situation . Take a look at how Australia are battling the delta virus to see the difference . I am confident our lockdown will be short . Opening our international border even in just a limited capacity with Australia , exposed NZ to delta . Likely now our border will remain closed while the focus is on ensuring our population is well protected first .

Vaccination does not just prevent spread .. it reduces hospitalisations and deaths . There is just no way hospitals and health services around the world can cope with the fallout of uncontrolled covid transmission (and still care for non covid admissions ) ...that still remains a large part of the problem.

So there was ONE case detected on August 17th and NZ went into lock down on the 18th. " Within days the outbreak had grown".....your words, not mine. IF and ONLY if the lock down worked there WOULDN'T have been an outbreak. When people are FORCED to be in confined spaces logically the chances of being exposed to a virus would be increased. Data, which I actually have confidence in, shows there is a very low risk to NO risk of cavid being transmitted in normal outdoor activities.

From an article on JonathanTurley.org from May 11, 2021,
https://jonathanturley.org/2021/05/11/cdc-admits-that-it-miscalculated-the-risk-of-outdoor-covid-transmission/

"The New York Times is reporting that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was relying on a faulty study in declaring a 10 percent chance of the transmission of Covid-19 outdoors. After using the “miscalculation” to support outdoor mask mandates for over 300 million Americans, the CDC now says that it is more like one percent. It is astonishing that such a key and controversial component of our Covid policies was not just based on a miscalculation but never actively questioned or reexamined to discover the error.

The Times’ Leonhardt noted “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.”

ACTUAL data shows that being outdoors is safer than being FORCED to remain indoors.

This is WHY I posted earlier:
"In the not too distant past I was doing extensive reading/research to make intelligent decisions. I've pretty much given up listening to the "experts".
What they told us last years is irrelevant this year,what they told us last week will be irrelevant by next week. It's as though they are using the S.W.A.G (spontaneous wild arse guess) methodology to give guidance."

Edited to say Some people say anyone who questions the science are science deniers...........I contend that those who don't accept ACTUAL data are the ones in denial. Science, much of which is theoretical, should always be questioned until it is proven, data should never be question and in fact it's what proves science to be more than just theoretical.

That one case was someone who presented with symptoms and was tested . At that stage there was no record of how many undetected cases were in the community . Delta takes as little as 3 days for transmission to be evident but that is variable . Asymptomatic spread is also possible . Our quarantine practice covers 14 days as it can take that long for someone to test positive . Acknowledging that variability , Repeat testing is done on day 0, day 3 and day 12 within that 14 day period .
Possibly you are overlooking the transmission lag time and exponential growth . I can understand international reaction to lockdown for one case of delta . At that stage it was unclear how delta was circulating in. NZ . Although we had cases in our border quarantine facility from international travellers /returning New Zealanders with travel exemptions . They required a negative test prior to leaving quarantine . It was important to understand if Fort NZ border protocols had been breached :-)

From a control stance .. It is more concerning to have cases where the source is unidentified than to have an outbreak where cases and contacts can be linked to an infection source . Also important to trace genome sequence of virus to know what mutation is responsible . Our lockdown from that one case was initially for three days ., the time of Delta transmission . As there was evidence of increasing cases and community spread the lockdown was extended . I fully support that . It was the right choice . Only one of our cities ., Auckland remains in full lockdown and it is expected that will drop shortly . The remainder of NZ is now in level 2 lockdown . Also due to be reviewed .

As for outdoor spread ., concerts, sporting events , funerals etc anywhere there are large numbers of people in close proximity have been connected with super spreading events . Likewise church congregations , pubs , restaurants , conferences ... gyms.. . again anywhere large numbers of people are gathered indoors in close proximity increases the risk of exposure with airborne spread . Sure there may be less risk outdoors compared with confined or poorly ventilated indoor spaces .. that is only part of the equation and does not account for viral load, duration of proximity to others and host immunity . In our level 2 lockdown .. restrictions are set on the number of people who can gather both indoors and at outdoor events . When our lockdown finishes ., concerts etc will likely be back on the agenda ., that is something we have already been able to enjoy in New Zealand this year . Apart from international travel restrictions life here was pretty normal prior to this lockdown . I am confident that will resume .

I posted “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.” I made NO comment about large confined space gathering. Lock downs are imposed to STOP ALL gatherings, small and large. I have no problem with restrictions but I do have a problem with "one size fits all" draconian rules and regulations. Here in the United States we were told if we were good little boys and girls we would be able to have a SMALL family gathering OUTDOORS to celebrate our independence from England.
Really??? As an adult I need permission to celebrate a holiday at MY HOUSE?????

At the beginning of the virus the public has been told that lock downs and quarantine will stop the spread of covid and "bend the curve" of hospitalizations. I can understand giving this guidance when little was known
about the virus. When the rate of infections in FORCED lock down areas and areas NOT under lock down WERE BASICALLY IDENTICAL the guidance DIDN'T change.

I have yet to hear ANY expert who have said that vaccines are effective, who have encouraged people to get vaccinated, that have said that the unvaccinated pose a risk to the vaccinated. Yesterday President Biden said the unvaccinated are a threat to those who are vaccinated. He gave NO science that backs his claim and justifies FORCING people to get vaccinated. He said the mandates WEREN'T about freedom. Just how ISN'T FORCING people to do ANYTHING NOT about freedom of choice????? Mandating what people MUST do or MUST not do is how totalitarian/dictators control people.

At the beginning Dr. Fauci told Americans that masks were not necessary. Since then he has gone on to tell Americans that they could better be protected by wearing MORE than one mask. Fauci has denied there is a meaningful differences between the types of masks. Yeah, the man who said that no one should be wearing masks went to saying just put a cloth or something over your face, to wear more than one mask is still considered by some to be the foremost "expert" on COVID in the United States. In 2017 Anthony Fauci made a very strange prediction, with an even stranger certainty. He said “There will be a SURPRISE OUTBREAK. There’s NO DOUBT in anyone’s mind about this.” How could Fauci guarantee a surprise outbreak to happen during the first term of the Trump administration? What did he know, that we don’t?

I'm not a conspiracy kinda guy but I'm not going to ignore such a blatant declaration by Fauci. Something is going on that ISN'T being divulged by medical "experts" who are dependent on government financing which makes them politically motivated.

I have responded to most of your post on Bart’s political thread so won’t bother repeating it here .

Your claim that there is no evidence of casual outdoor transmission is incorrect .

scroll through report to table detailing cases and outdoor activity resulting in covid transmission .

http://academic.oup.com/jid/article/223/4/550/6009483

I DIDN'T make the "claim" that there is NO "evidence of casual outdoor transmission".
What I DID post is "The Times’ Leonhardt noted “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.” I posted SOMEONE ELSE'S claim. I NEVER claimed there was NO RISK in ALL outdoor settings and neither did the persons statement I posted. Are you trying to conflating "casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table" with ALL outdoor activities????

I looked at the article you referenced. They did report "<1% of transmissions happened outdoors" Under "Conclusion" is the following:

While it has been acknowledged that spending time outside has general health benefits, our review posits that there are also benefits in reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 by reducing exposure time (substituting time indoors with time outdoors). These results suggest that moving activities to outdoor settings may reduce infections and ultimately save lives. However, it is important to note that infections are possible outdoors and the advantage may be overtaken by relaxed mitigation efforts.

Did YOU see that????

People will NEVER live in a world that is risk free. Driving to a store has risks, walking down a sidewalk has risk, surfing has risks and even cooking food has risks.

My point has been that we have been getting guidance that has been contradicting past guidance. It's as though the "experts" and politicians are using this Covid-19 and every variant as a justification to take away basic human rights, as a justification to control people. I can't remember who is was or where they were from but a person "explaining" new restrictions actually said "this is the new world order". Was that a poorly worded remark or was that the a slip of the tongue? She could have said the new restriction where because of the world we live in today.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Fri 09/10/21 09:19 PM

A German invented this? We are a great bunch of people, are we? rofl laugh rofl

Yes , not just any German but a German carpenter... wow.... and yes, that's a real hearty bunch of people .... drinks drinks

Well it does kinda make sense that a carpenter would be interested working on inventing something that is "wood" related. slaphead

Smartazzjohn's photo
Fri 09/10/21 05:58 PM
We were told if we got the vaccine we were protected from getting Coovid and would be able to return to "normal life"
Now we are being told that the vaccine DOESN'T protect us from unvaccinated people.

Now how exactly are unvaccinated people a danger to vaccinated people if what we were told about the vaccines is TRUE???????

We were either lied to by the CDC, medical experts and politicians INCLUDING Biden that have been preaching that vaccines are effective......Or we are being lied to by Biden that unvaccinated people are danger to the whole country.
It's insulting to the intelligence of anyone with even minimal deductive reasoning that we can't figure out that at least one of those things is a lie.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Fri 09/10/21 09:17 AM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Fri 09/10/21 09:25 AM

what happened to the different flu strains that took 100's of thousands of lives every year??
did they mysteriously die off? or did they continue to infect people, and get counted as covid cases? Dr.s admitted that they are very difficult to tell apart.
and the main cause of deaths are due to underlying conditions. same as with people that come down with the flu.

all we can do is learn to live with it. mind the reports of out breaks in your area, get the shots, stay home if your not feeling well. and live your lives.

Hi Richard waving . firstly , the last I heard the original source of covid is still unknown . Until there is evidence of a lab leak I am not going to speculate .

Secondly , The low circulating number of influenza infections during this covid pandemic has been mainly attributed to a couple of factors ...

1. The mass reduction of international travel . Similar to covid ...,.influenza is imported !!

2. Lockdowns , social distancing , wearing of masks , hand hygiene , quarantine , the requirement to stay home when sick, especially with any respiratory symptoms .

While it may seem like influenza has disappeared , the reality is .. it hasn’t and there is concern over what will happen when the world reopens . Also concern if the previous influenza vaccine will be effective against whatever strain is eventually transmitted .

Recently , NZ and Australia introduced a travel bubble between our two countries . Coincidentally both countries battled with a winter surge of RSV (respiratory syncytial virus ) which placed an immense strain on our hospital system .

We may have “learned to live” with seasonal influenza (strains that we can successfully vaccinate against ) but I still recall the impact of H1N1 which was a novel influenza strain (commonly called swine flu) . .. thankfully I didn’t experience the Spanish Flu outbreak .

Personally , I do not feel we are at the stage we can safely “learn to live with covid “. Our vaccinations are new ( approx 8 months now in circulation ). Our knowledge about covid has improved but there are still many unanswered questions and major limitations with treatment options and healthcare resources . To “live with covid “ requires that outbreaks can be managed !!! Global herd immunity is still a considerable time away . Delta has seen a big surge in vaccination rates but untill rates are optimal and as long as countries remain disadvantaged when it comes to vaccination access/ distribution , the door is wide open for further mutations and uncontrolled spread

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/covid-19-coronavirus-australia-no-flu-deaths-this-year-but-that-could-change-experts-warn/M2FASIZRNEJZ2AACLOPAVHXIVI/

I will certainly be watching the UK closely as it heads into winter with interest and concern .

sorry blondie.. maybe I'm just speaking for my self here..so no disrespect meant.

1) the source has been widely reported as being from a virology facility out of the Wuhan district of china. from which it was first reported to the C.D.C.,
but that's a matter of choice as to if you believe the news that has reported it, or not or the scientists that have shown it has a human fingerprint in its design.

2) the lock downs did not stop the spread of the covid virus. so it would have had a similar effect with the spread flu virus. and it is spread the same way as the flu.

3) vaccines for the different flu strains have been around and have been used for generations. and people with the flu have all ways been asked to stay at home.
but 100's of thousands of people still died from it annually. so I dont understand the under reporting going on.
still does not explain why there has not been a single warning of a flu outbreak reminding us to get our shots, since the covid-19 hit..
just as I dont believe people that died from other health conditions, mysteriously disappeared.
the vaccines for covid are new, and just like when a new strain of the flu is reported, the vaccines only help prevent the spread. and there are some people that experience side effects. it is a persons choice to take them or not (though that is being challenged as many people have been mandated into forced compliance).

to me it is not a matter of feeling we are at a stage where we can feel comfortable with having the corona virus in our lives.
it is here, and it is continuing to mutate. so we either learn to live with it.. or live in fear of it for the rest of our lives..

get vaccinated, pay attention to outbreaks in your area, and take care as you all ways have been told, when an infectious virus has been reported in your area..

but live your lives.

I haven’t seen any recent information confirming a lab leak for covid .. just that investigations with China continue to be hampered . Would be helpful if you can post links for your source so I can see who is saying what :-)

To clarify .. influenza is primarily spread through large respiratory DROPLETS which are unable to remain suspended in the air for sustained periods or distances . Covid in comparison is believed to be AIRBORNE with suspension of fine particles being the primary mode of transmission .

As for lockdown not stopping the spread of the virus .. I disagree completely . Take a look at what happened recently in NZ .. we have been without community transmission or lockdown for a large part of this year .
one case of covid in the community was detected on the 17 August ( linked to a recent delta outbreak in Australia ). The whole of NZ went into immediate lockdown on the 18th of August . Within days the outbreak had grown . Take a look at this timeline
http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126158263/covid19-a-timeline-of-the-delta-outbreak

Yesterday we were down to 13 new cases . Had that lockdown not happened so fast , I have little doubt we would be dealing with a dire situation . Take a look at how Australia are battling the delta virus to see the difference . I am confident our lockdown will be short . Opening our international border even in just a limited capacity with Australia , exposed NZ to delta . Likely now our border will remain closed while the focus is on ensuring our population is well protected first .

Vaccination does not just prevent spread .. it reduces hospitalisations and deaths . There is just no way hospitals and health services around the world can cope with the fallout of uncontrolled covid transmission (and still care for non covid admissions ) ...that still remains a large part of the problem.

So there was ONE case detected on August 17th and NZ went into lock down on the 18th. " Within days the outbreak had grown".....your words, not mine. IF and ONLY if the lock down worked there WOULDN'T have been an outbreak. When people are FORCED to be in confined spaces logically the chances of being exposed to a virus would be increased. Data, which I actually have confidence in, shows there is a very low risk to NO risk of cavid being transmitted in normal outdoor activities.

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/05/11/cdc-admits-that-it-miscalculated-the-risk-of-outdoor-covid-transmission/

"The New York Times is reporting that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was relying on a faulty study in declaring a 10 percent chance of the transmission of Covid-19 outdoors. After using the “miscalculation” to support outdoor mask mandates for over 300 million Americans, the CDC now says that it is more like one percent. It is astonishing that such a key and controversial component of our Covid policies was not just based on a miscalculation but never actively questioned or reexamined to discover the error.

The Times’ Leonhardt noted “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.”

ACTUAL data shows that being outdoors is safer than being FORCED to remain indoors.

"In the not too distant past I was doing extensive reading/research to make intelligent decisions. I've pretty much given up listening to the "experts".
What they told us last years is irrelevant this year,what they told us last week will be irrelevant by next week. It's as though they are using the S.W.A.G (spontaneous wild arse guess) methodology to give guidance."

Edited to say Some people say anyone who questions the science are science deniers...........I contend that those who don't accept ACTUAL data are the ones in denial. Science, much of which is theoretical, should always be questioned until it is proven, data should never be question and in fact it's what proves science to be more than just theoretical.

That one case was someone who presented with symptoms and was tested . At that stage there was no record of how many undetected cases were in the community . Delta takes as little as 3 days for transmission to be evident but that is variable . Asymptomatic spread is also possible . Our quarantine practice covers 14 days as it can take that long for someone to test positive . Acknowledging that variability , Repeat testing is done on day 0, day 3 and day 12 within that 14 day period .
Possibly you are overlooking the transmission lag time and exponential growth . I can understand international reaction to lockdown for one case of delta . At that stage it was unclear how delta was circulating in. NZ . Although we had cases in our border quarantine facility from international travellers /returning New Zealanders with travel exemptions . They required a negative test prior to leaving quarantine . It was important to understand if Fort NZ border protocols had been breached :-)

From a control stance .. It is more concerning to have cases where the source is unidentified than to have an outbreak where cases and contacts can be linked to an infection source . Also important to trace genome sequence of virus to know what mutation is responsible . Our lockdown from that one case was initially for three days ., the time of Delta transmission . As there was evidence of increasing cases and community spread the lockdown was extended . I fully support that . It was the right choice . Only one of our cities ., Auckland remains in full lockdown and it is expected that will drop shortly . The remainder of NZ is now in level 2 lockdown . Also due to be reviewed .

As for outdoor spread ., concerts, sporting events , funerals etc anywhere there are large numbers of people in close proximity have been connected with super spreading events . Likewise church congregations , pubs , restaurants , conferences ... gyms.. . again anywhere large numbers of people are gathered indoors in close proximity increases the risk of exposure with airborne spread . Sure there may be less risk outdoors compared with confined or poorly ventilated indoor spaces .. that is only part of the equation and does not account for viral load, duration of proximity to others and host immunity . In our level 2 lockdown .. restrictions are set on the number of people who can gather both indoors and at outdoor events . When our lockdown finishes ., concerts etc will likely be back on the agenda ., that is something we have already been able to enjoy in New Zealand this year . Apart from international travel restrictions life here was pretty normal prior to this lockdown . I am confident that will resume .

I posted “There is not a single documented Covid infection anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interactions, such as walking past someone on a street or eating at a nearby table.” I made NO comment about large confined space gathering. Lock downs are imposed to STOP ALL gatherings, small and large. I have no problem with restrictions but I do have a problem with "one size fits all" draconian rules and regulations. Here in the United States we were told if we were good little boys and girls we would be able to have a SMALL family gathering OUTDOORS to celebrate our independence from England.
Really??? As an adult I need permission to celebrate a holiday at MY HOUSE?????

At the beginning of the virus the public has been told that lock downs and quarantine will stop the spread of covid and "bend the curve" of hospitalizations. I can understand giving this guidance when little was known
about the virus. When the rate of infections in FORCED lock down areas and areas NOT under lock down WERE BASICALLY IDENTICAL the guidance DIDN'T change.

I have yet to hear ANY expert who have said that vaccines are effective, who have encouraged people to get vaccinated, that have said that the unvaccinated pose a risk to the vaccinated. Yesterday President Biden said the unvaccinated are a threat to those who are vaccinated. He gave NO science that backs his claim and justifies FORCING people to get vaccinated. He said the mandates WEREN'T about freedom. Just how ISN'T FORCING people to do ANYTHING NOT about freedom of choice????? Mandating what people MUST do or MUST not do is how totalitarian/dictators control people.

At the beginning Dr. Fauci told Americans that masks were not necessary. Since then he has gone on to tell Americans that they could better be protected by wearing MORE than one mask. Fauci has denied there is a meaningful differences between the types of masks. Yeah, the man who said that no one should be wearing masks went to saying just put a cloth or something over your face, to wear more than one mask is still considered by some to be the foremost "expert" on COVID in the United States. In 2017 Anthony Fauci made a very strange prediction, with an even stranger certainty. He said “There will be a SURPRISE OUTBREAK. There’s NO DOUBT in anyone’s mind about this.” How could Fauci guarantee a surprise outbreak to happen during the first term of the Trump administration? What did he know, that we don’t?

I'm not a conspiracy kinda guy but I'm not going to ignore such a blatant declaration by Fauci. Something is going on that ISN'T being divulged by medical "experts" who are dependent on government financing which makes them politically motivated.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Thu 09/09/21 05:47 PM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Thu 09/09/21 06:03 PM

but live your lives.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Thu 09/09/21 02:14 PM
In the not too distant past I was doing extensive reading/research to make intelligent decisions. I've pretty much given up listening to the "experts".
What they told us last years is irrelevant this year,what they told us last week will be irrelevant by next week. It's as though they are using the S.W.A.G (spontaneous wild arse guess) methodology to give guidance.

Often mandates are illogical at best. I'm an adult, I'm a fairly intelligent person, I'm capable of determining my own risk tolerance. The whole thing has become way too politicized and is being used by governments to take away what used to be basic freedoms. We were told get vaccinated so you are protected and can get back to "normal life". Now they are telling vaccinated people they CAN'T get back to normal life, we need to wear masks to be protected because of the un-vaccinated. It's illogical to say the I as a vaccinated person needs to protect myself from un-vaccinated people.

I'll continue doing what I've done since the beginning which isn't much different from what I was doing before covid hit.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Thu 09/09/21 01:34 PM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Thu 09/09/21 01:35 PM
I have GPS in my vehicle............I don't use maps anymore, upside down or right side up laugh

Smartazzjohn's photo
Tue 08/31/21 02:07 PM
Who is now going to be leading sponsor of terrorism?
Is it going to be Iran or Afghanistan?

Smartazzjohn's photo
Mon 08/30/21 06:06 PM
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told a journalist it was "irresponsible" to say Americans are “stranded” in Afghanistan last week.

Today military flights out of Kabul stopped. Today there are Americans who were STOPPED from getting to the airport. What is the "responsible" way to describe the Americans stuck in Afghanistan now??? Is their exit delayed? Is their exit postponed? Or is it irresponsible to even talk about the Americans who WEREN'T able to get to the airport?

They are claiming the military mission has been completed. I'm guessing the Americans stuck in Afghanistan may say the military mission has ENDED, I'm pretty sure they DON'T agree the military mission was COMPLETED.

Biden and his State Department, who I believe crafted the evacuation, should be ashamed of themselves. We keep hearing the Biden Administration say they ended a 20 year war but the ONLY way a war ends is if ALL the parties involved in a war agree to the ending of the war. ISIS didn't agree to stop their terrorist activities, in fact they were just emboldened by the Taliban who released them from prisons in Afghanistan. Al-Qaeda was emboldened for the same reason.

Biden was the person who orchestrated the troop withdrawal from Iraq that led to the rise of ISIS which REQUIRED a surge of troops back to Iraq.
Time will tell if Biden's pathetic foreign policy history will repeat itself.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Sat 08/28/21 12:40 PM
And I still stand by the statement you can't fix stupid.
Not ALL ill informed voters are stupid but some are and they can't be fixed.
Not taking the initiative to research information and to just accept what you are told, by left or right media outlets, is showing laziness.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Sat 08/28/21 10:54 AM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Sat 08/28/21 10:56 AM
I didn't say that voters are stupid, I said they are ill informed.
I still contend that the reason some voters, not all voters, will continue to be ill informed because of laziness and the reliance of being informed by the majority of the media.

For the first time since Biden won the Democrat Party (they aren't democratic) nominated Biden for the 2020 presidential election his approval rating according to polls has fallen. The most likely reason for Biden's decreasing approval ratings is because of the negative coverage by almost every media outlets of the mess he caused in Afghanistan.

This is the FIRST time that MOST of the media has been putting out ANYTHING negative about Biden. It seem pretty obvious that a lot people are changing their view of Biden based on information they are getting from the media. If most of the media was reporting that Biden was doing a great job in Afghanistan it's likely that he would have maintained, or increased, his approval rating because of misinformation......people who believe misinformation are ill informed.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Fri 08/27/21 10:37 AM
Edited by Smartazzjohn on Fri 08/27/21 10:39 AM

This is what happens when you vote against a candidate instead of voting for a candidate, you get a empty suit. This administration is showing by everyone of their policies their ineptitude for the job . From the cluster f..k at the border. To the mixed messages about the vaccines. To the spike in groceries, gas, lumber. Our credibility with our allies are worse than ever . All this can be attributed to joe Biden, kalamala Harris , and their lack of leadership capabilities.

The only silver lining and possible glimmer of hope in this incredibly horrible Afghanistan situation (and Southern border failure, keystone loss, "woke" nonsense, weakness, lack of leadership, and so much more) is that MAYBE, just MAYBE, those less informed voters who voted on personality, emotions and "nice guy" imagery will look at POLICIES vs. personalities in the future. We can only hope.

Two things.
1) ill informed voters will continue to be ill informed because of laziness and the reliance of being informed by the majority of the media (social, broadcast and cable media outlets) that are basically operatives of the DNC and the left.

2) You can't fix stupid, period.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Thu 08/26/21 01:04 PM
"We made clear to the Taliban that any attack, any attack on our forces or disruption of our operations at the airport will be met with a swift and forceful response," US President Joe Biden told reporters at a White House news conference.

An attack killed at least 12 US service members.
I'm not waiting for Biden to talk about the attack....I waiting to SEE if Biden ALLOWS a forceful response by military leaders/experts. The only thing I've seen Biden do swiftly is make bad decisions........hopefully he defers the decisions to people QUALIFIED to make BETTER decisions than what he is capable of making.

Smartazzjohn's photo
Wed 08/25/21 09:03 AM
"Woke" and awoke are the PAST TENSE of wake and awake.
"Woke" DOESN'T mean a person is awake NOW.
The "woke" people have been convinced that PAST "systemic racism" still exists in the United States NOW.
If "systemic racism" still existed today I DON'T see it when I go to the store, to a bar, to restaurant or out in public. I DON'T see black people being treated badly at stores or gas stations. When I go to bar or restaurant there AREN'T separate areas for different races.

Does racism still exist? Yes it does, and always will, exist. Is there "systemic racism"? Nope, if "systemic racism" existed it would be evident EVERYWHERE and it ISN'T.

IF "systemic racism" existed in the United States "people of color" WOULDN'T be trying to enter the country illegally......people DON'T go where they will discriminated against. If "systemic racism" did exist in the United States people would be escaping to other counties where they would be treated fairly, and that ISN'T happening.

I'm an actual immigrant, if my family saw the United States as the evil empire the "woke" crowd would have people believe it is we would have NEVER moved HERE. We moved here because there is SYSTEMIC OPPORTUNITY and that is the reason people are STILL coming to the United States, both legally and ILLEGALLY.

1 2 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 24 25