Community > Posts By > Karpenter

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 03:29 PM

i didn't think men listened at all - never mind whether or not they were talking at the same time. bigsmile

Men tend to use assertive and straight forward language and it is their language of speech is an action to get things done whereas women tend to use language as a more nuanced and subtle form geared towards rapport and relationship building and thereby achieving some form of consensus, perhaps.

So if I put in my profile that I'm a good listener, women should just assume that I am full of **** or a liar. And they may be right, either way.

It does sound a little like the sort of line a guy might use in order to convince women that "I'm not like everybody else." Most of the women I've known seem to have had little or no experience with males who actually listen.

On the other hand, there are some men who are good listeners.

I rarely see "I'm a good listener" in women's profiles, though.

You have said that women have told you that you are a good listener and I have absolutely no reason to doubt that this is the case. So I commend you for being a rarity.I tend to think that most men listen but sometimes fail to actually hear the subtlties and nuances that are being both verbally and physically offered in spoken communication.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 03:14 PM

i didn't think men listened at all - never mind whether or not they were talking at the same time. bigsmile

Men tend to use assertive and straight forward language and it is their language of speech is an action to get things done whereas women tend to use language as a more nuanced and subtle form geared towards rapport and relationship building and thereby achieving some form of consensus, perhaps.

So if I put in my profile that I'm a good listener, women should just assume that I am full of **** or a liar. And they may be right, either way.

You only offer two assumptions. The third assumption is that you are a good listener and be extrapolation a truthful man.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 03:10 PM

Are these your opinions, or stuff you read? And if you've read it, what are your sources?

I read, I analyze in the light of my own nutty nonsense and neuroses and I form an opinion. Now whether that conclusion( or opinion) is the socially correct one or not, it is mine to own until such time as I reexamine the issue based on better or more reliable data.

This, to me, is called learning and growing.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 03:08 PM

Are these your opinions, or stuff you read? And if you've read it, what are your sources?

I read, I analyze in the light of my own nutty nonsense and neuroses and I form an opinion. Now whether that conclusion( or opinion) is the socially correct one or not, it is mine to own until such time as I reexamine the issue based on better or more reliable data.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 02:59 PM

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 02:21 PM

Actually if I am talking I shouldn't have to listen because the way i was raised you do not talk when somebody else is talking, I talk she listen then she talks and I listen that is how it should work.

People who talk over others are not worth listening to, be polite and wait your turn.

This is because you are a guy and want to and have been raised to extend something called grace and patience, to take turns at kicking the ball. It is also an issue of central focus, whereby men tend to focus at a differnt neuronal reading level. Women who have different neuronal readings and are arguably less rigidly compartmentalised, are therefore more enabled to multi task.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 02:13 PM

Men switch off when it comes to both talking and listening, women can both talk and listen at the same time. Anyone with comments??

stupidest thing I ever heard

just because it applies to you don't think to extend it to every man

Thank you for your response, you certainly missed the point. A thesis was presented and instead of responding with any antithesis you decide that it is far better to just be insulting and derogatory not to the thesis itself, but to the person offering the thesis.
Actually as a fairly new guy to this site I have noticed, as a point of generalisation, that this is done on a fairly regular basis by a few people who really should know better. First you welcome someone ...then you wait for a suitable opportunity to demonstrate your unwillingness to examine the thesis/thread and instead spit out any nonsense you decide upon aimed at the writer.

Oh, you haven't SEEN him be derogatory or insulting yet! He was being nice! Stay tuned, ya might learn somethin'.

I am not sure that he has anything worth saying that is worth listening to.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 01:36 PM

listening....true listening is a skill that need to be learned.

Most people are just waiting for their turn to talk....

as for gender biases.....Women ARE more verbal than men...so maybe you have a point.

Allan Pease,co author of "Why men need sex and women need love" conducted a series of EEG's, PET scans and other tests to demonstrate that neuronal activity in many parts of the brain was at a very low level when a man was actually speaking and that there was totally dissimilar neuronal activity when a woman was speaking forcing him to conclude that there are considerable differences, (aside from the genitalia, as one person pointed out,) in actual brain activity during periods of speech and listening between men and women.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 01:21 PM

Men switch off when it comes to both talking and listening, women can both talk and listen at the same time. Anyone with comments??

stupidest thing I ever heard

just because it applies to you don't think to extend it to every man

Thank you for your response, you certainly missed the point. A thesis was presented and instead of responding with any antithesis you decide that it is far better to just be insulting and derogatory not to the thesis itself, but to the person offering the thesis.
Actually as a fairly new guy to this site I have noticed, as a point of generalisation, that this is done on a fairly regular basis by a few people who really should know better. First you welcome someone ...then you wait for a suitable opportunity to demonstrate your unwillingness to examine the thesis/thread and instead spit out any nonsense you decide upon aimed at the writer.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 08:03 AM
look at a mans' conversation. Generally men allow other men to have their say in the conversation, they take it in turns to speak. A generalisation I know but observe anyway. Now look at a conversation with women and notice that several may be talking at the same time and somehow being aware of all the conversations going on at the same time.

no photo
Wed 10/28/09 07:46 AM

no photo
Tue 10/27/09 08:46 AM
I wonder if an absolute price and wages freeze may not be the most expedient. If wages and prices are frozen there may be a short term economic drain due to lack of investment. However. All empires, the Roman, the British, the French, the Russian, the American etc. have been lessening in terms of longevity throughout the centuries. But all have imploded economically. All of these empires share a common trait. And that is the trait of social and econimic complacency. The, I am all right Jack scenario, by the economicly powerful. The end result has always been a series of military defeats by idealistic regimes. Until the United States society regains a more individualistic and humanistic approach to its citizens then I very much fear that the Pax Americana too will implode. The citizens may find some solace in nationalism but nationalism is a matter of free will and cannot be imposed upon the people. Only severe imposition of commonwealth values will force the population to reconsider their lifestyles.

no photo
Mon 10/26/09 12:55 PM
A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a foolish man speaks because he has to say something.
Unknown

no photo
Sun 10/25/09 12:31 PM
The dark side has candy. Come to the dark side.

no photo
Sun 10/25/09 09:57 AM

you have done for someone you cared about and why?
Probably what I'm about to do again, drive 26 miles each way everyday Angel works and take her to lunch. Oh well, she's either worth it, or I'm whipped. I like to think it's the former to justify it to myself!

Such a softie,

no photo
Sun 10/25/09 09:57 AM

you have done for someone you cared about and why?
Probably what I'm about to do again, drive 26 miles each way everyday Angel works and take her to lunch. Oh well, she's either worth it, or I'm whipped. I like to think it's the former to justify it to myself!

Such a softie,

no photo
Sun 10/25/09 08:55 AM

Id gift her with bukake!

Somehow I cannot see her being very impressed.

no photo
Sat 10/24/09 12:52 PM

Duh, Bukake

You can hide love away,you can reject love. You can even pretend it does not exist, yet on the most elemental and atomic level of man's being love will live for you and my blessing to you is that it finds you for you to embrace it.

no photo
Sat 10/24/09 12:19 PM
I would sail the seven seas, I would walk the wild lanes of Ireland to the sands of the Silk Road. I would fight the four winds and the pirates of the Barbery Coast. I would weep with the tears of heaven and cry the halo round the moon. I would give up my gypsy ways and plant roses in our garden that would greet her as she walked by.
I would fight the fight stronger and sleep the sleep stronger knowing that my loveflowerforyou flowerforyou all of you.flowerforyou

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 01:21 PM
Good evening once again.
I do not mean to belabour a point but both regression therapy and transcendantal meditation have been mentioned and I really do not know anything about either concept. How by using either does one begin to recognise what one may have been at a different point in time?