Community > Posts By > Karpenter

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:54 AM
Sorry about the confusion here.
What is a transgression?

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:53 AM

A feeling

Though sometimes when I'm around certain things....

Weird memories do surface

Have you ever sat and really examined those memories? How can you say "definately"?

Well I did a transgression

I saw it

Just don't know whether to believe it or I was forced to believe it

What is a transgression?

To scary for me thank you

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:51 AM
Looks as though there is a pattern of badness here perhaps its time to change.

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:49 AM

I worked at the vomitorium in the Rome.

Is that a salary plus tips thing? laugh

I think that it is a full time situation. But really as a volunteer intern. To have full bragging rights one could not be a slave.

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:42 AM

I worked at the vomitorium in the Rome.

Stated as is onvious. And?

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 11:00 AM

A feeling

Though sometimes when I'm around certain things....

Weird memories do surface

Have you ever sat and really examined those memories? How can you say "definately"?

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 10:55 AM

I definitly was a French prostitute in the 1800's. !! :heart:

And do you still retain the memories or is it more of a feeling?

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 10:51 AM
Before this time and in another place who were you and why? A pirate, a poet, a milkmaid?

no photo
Fri 10/23/09 08:27 AM
All women want to be honoured and respected and if they are honest they will even admit to wanting to be aware that they are the single most important person in that man's life. Perhaps in times past men went off to do great deeds to impress their ladies and thereby prove themselves worthy of such a wonderful "prize". Now we just sit around and banter about pros and cons and profound banalities. If a man or a woman wants to be in a relationship and seals that relationship with a lawful contract, great, wonderful. If they want to show their community/commonwealth that they are together and throw a party, great, wonderful. In essence they are the same thing surely. An affirmation to each other and their community that they share a togetherness.
Shame about the times past having gone, I rather fancy going off to slay dragons and win a fair damsels' hand.

no photo
Thu 10/22/09 02:36 PM
I am not an American although I have lived over there for ten years and I would say this as an admonition to all Americans who try to drag the US down to their personal degredation. The United States is a wonderful place to be born, to grow and pursue dreams. It may only be a quirk of fate that there but for the grace of God go I. You could hav e been born to an illiterate beggar in Manilla with nothing to dream about except where to find your next scrap of rotten food. But for a quirk of fate.
In America a man has room to examine his religion, his belief system, and also pursue his materialistic goals. In spite of all your disagreements The USA is a wonderful place to live. After all even freedom has a price, and sometimes that price is free speech.

no photo
Thu 10/22/09 03:46 AM

Good morning everybody
Having morning coffee, drinker
and will be off to work again shortly.

I hope everybody has a great day flowerforyou flowerforyou waving

Good morning Jan, I 've just had brunch in a Lebanese Cafe. And how are you today?

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 04:09 PM

The warrior/soldier goes to war with the warrior/soldier from another belief system, when the life of one is taken from one by the other, because of that belief, Is there such a thing as Right and Wrong/Good and Evil? Or is the judgement made simply by the victorious?

There is a difference between a warrior and a soldier. They can be same and different at the same time.

A warrior can be a soldier and a soldier can be a warrior. The big difference is, that a soldier is not automatically a warrior.

Warrior- there is something about heroic and self-interest of being someone who is victorious over his enemy through his tactic and strategy. Actually one can be a warrior without ever killing a single person.

Soldier (who isn't a warrior) - is basically a paid proffesional who does things for money and does as he has been told.

So there is a step upward to become a warrior, although you do not have to be necessarly a professional soldier.

For a good understanding, read Illiad (Troy) from Homeros.

Thank you for that I certainly appreciate your insights into the differences in ideals. If a warrior in his death believes that his death is honourable, then it may follow that what he has done is "good" And the victor over the warrior would also determine that his victory is "good". It is the nature of warriors to be honourable, no matter their belief systems, or do you think that it is because of their belief systems that they become warriors and thereby honourable?

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 04:09 PM

The warrior/soldier goes to war with the warrior/soldier from another belief system, when the life of one is taken from one by the other, because of that belief, Is there such a thing as Right and Wrong/Good and Evil? Or is the judgement made simply by the victorious?

There is a difference between a warrior and a soldier. They can be same and different at the same time.

A warrior can be a soldier and a soldier can be a warrior. The big difference is, that a soldier is not automatically a warrior.

Warrior- there is something about heroic and self-interest of being someone who is victorious over his enemy through his tactic and strategy. Actually one can be a warrior without ever killing a single person.

Soldier (who isn't a warrior) - is basically a paid proffesional who does things for money and does as he has been told.

So there is a step upward to become a warrior, although you do not have to be necessarly a professional soldier.

For a good understanding, read Illiad (Troy) from Homeros.

Thank you for that I certainly appreciate your insights into the differences in ideals. If a warrior in his death believes that his death is honourable, then it may follow that what he has done is "good" And the victor over the warrior would also determine that his victory is "good". It is the nature of warriors to be honourable, no matter their belief systems, or do you think that it is because of their belief systems that they become warriors and thereby honourable?

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 03:18 PM

On the battlefield, the soldier's individual beliefs don't matter. Your job is to stay alive, protect your group, and stop those guys who are shooting at you.
The decision to operate on cultural beliefs rests many paygrades above the people carrying guns. A few years back I was walking through a minefield in Columbia. I was there because I was ordered to be there. Those mines don't care who my God is, and the mines would have no problem sending me to him. A week later I was standing in a trench with a borrowed AK47 waiting for an attack. Whoever came over that hill would walk into a wall of lead, be they Catholics, Communists, Maoists, or Mercs. My AK47 was loaded with equal opportunity rounds.
My war was the "War on Drugs", so nobody accused us of being anti-anything as far as religious beliefs are concerned. Still, it was Richard Nixon who started the war, according to his belief that America should not be snorting coke at the Disco. Decide for yourself if his decision was based on religious or cultural beliefs.
I believe we should legalize it and tax it. I haven't gotten around to trying drugs, so it seems my belief is that YOU should be taxed (if you are some sort of drug fiend. If you aren't a fiend, go about your business).

Brian
U.S. Army retired

Murphy's Law of Combat - Anything you do in combat can get you killed, including doing nothing.

No I am not a drug fiend. I was captain in the Royal Marine Commandos with two tours of duty in Northeren Ireland. I was not asking about policy issues, nor was I making comments about war. I was asking about the nature of the warrior in his death.

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 01:35 PM

Warrrrriorrrs. Come out to PLA-AYYYY.

Grow in intellect.

Lol. Is that something I can grow?

Sorry for the off-topic.... it reminded me of the movie.

nothing to apologize for..i thought it was funny..and sometimes heavy subjects deserve a bit of humor...

Yes it is a serious subject. I was trying to elict understandings that others had. Obviously you have a serious lack of understanding and opend your mouth only to check your shoe size. I suppose that that could be considered to be humerous.

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 12:39 PM

Hi everybody.
I have just finished reading a very serious book about the nature of the soldier. I found quite a few truths but a lot of questions did raise up in my mind. So I wanted to ask the main question here and get a little feedback.

First of all, most soldiers through history have been conscripts, not volunteers. Some made it a profession, blood lust and everything, but not all wars are holy wars. The majority of the wars of ancient Europe or ancient Asia were about land conquest and increased revenue (I mean the gold of vanquished empires has always been a real prize, ask the Aztecs). Before the modern church, when there were many gods, religuous wars would be hard to mobilize. Everyone worshiped someone different. But nationalism can easily be raised, all you need to do is find a common enemy.

No side is right in war - ours, theirs, the reasons given for fighting are rarely the real cause. Wars have begun over personal vendettas (See the campaign of William Wallace), expansionism (American Indian Wars), treasure (Conquestadors), personal glory (Hannibal), do you think that is how they were sold to the men who actually had to fight them? You know the ones that actually had to die for their country?

What war really is, is a necessary evil to help keep the overall population in check. Short of that, I can't think of a single "good" reason to start one.

Thank you for your understanding.

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 12:37 PM

Warrrrriorrrs. Come out to PLA-AYYYY.

Grow in intellect.

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 12:36 PM

Each "side" believes they are right..each "side" believes that God.. is on their side and therefore they will be victorious.

The confusion comes because God does not choose sides...although I'm sure many would disagree with me on that.

War is hell, killing in war is still killing, it's just..justified killing.

jmo

Sorry I did not mean to imply that only soldiers are warriors.
There is of course the concept of a "Just war" I think that Augustine or Aquinus elaborated upon the subject at length. When the warrior is dying does he still see his cause as "Good" and therefore "Godly"?

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 12:16 PM

Great question. History is written by the victor. Most Americans don't see it that way,as they are blinded by patriotism. be seeing you
[/quote
Thanks for that. I recogise that history is written by the victors and manipulated by both sides, but Really the Need that I have is a need for an understanding to the warriors belief system. One warrior kills another and the sure knowledge of the victor is that HE is "right" because HE is victorious. Therfore his belief system is "good". That is, the warrior has strength in his cause and God is on His side. By extrapolation the vanquished must be called Evil. I am not sure that this is about being American, nor is it about Patriotism as you contend, but rather that through an act of something one victorious warrior is born and formed in one culture and the vanquished warrior another. But they are warriors and must one necessarily be Right and therefore Godly and the other wrong and therefore Evil.
Actually this thought is becoming confusing even to me. Sorry.

no photo
Wed 10/21/09 11:57 AM
Hi everybody.
I have just finished reading a very serious book about the nature of the soldier. I found quite a few truths but a lot of questions did raise up in my mind. So I wanted to ask the main question here and get a little feedback.