Community > Posts By > Nubby

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 09:43 AM

If anything Hitlers catholicism was nominal. You never judge a philosophy by those who abuse it. Its not the logical outworking of the gospel.

But, with the "philosophy" of Religion, it gives people another reason to kill people. As one of George Carlin's bits goes:'You believe in God?' 'No.' *Pdoom*. Dead. 'You believe in God?' 'Yes.' 'You believe in my God? 'No.' *Poom*. Dead.

With Atheism, there is a political, or social philosophy behind the crimes or death tolls.

While it may be easy to explain off Hitler this way, It is much harder to explain of the actions of the church, which very much acted the same way, imprisoning, or putting to death anyone who didn't see the same "truth" that the church saw.

It would be the illogical working out of Christianity to say, kill some one who does not accept Christ. Jesus said my kingdom is not of this world that men should fight over it. So it does not logically lead to the conclusion of the things your saying.

Yet, you have the Crusades.

That was not the logical outworking of the gospels. As I said before, Jesus said, my kingdom is not of this world that men should fight over it.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 09:05 AM
Edited by Nubby on Fri 01/30/09 09:06 AM

If anything Hitlers catholicism was nominal. You never judge a philosophy by those who abuse it. Its not the logical outworking of the gospel.

But, with the "philosophy" of Religion, it gives people another reason to kill people. As one of George Carlin's bits goes:'You believe in God?' 'No.' *Pdoom*. Dead. 'You believe in God?' 'Yes.' 'You believe in my God? 'No.' *Poom*. Dead.

With Atheism, there is a political, or social philosophy behind the crimes or death tolls.

While it may be easy to explain off Hitler this way, It is much harder to explain of the actions of the church, which very much acted the same way, imprisoning, or putting to death anyone who didn't see the same "truth" that the church saw.

It would be the illogical working out of Christianity to say, kill some one who does not accept Christ. Jesus said my kingdom is not of this world that men should fight over it. So it does not logically lead to the conclusion of the things your saying.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 08:55 AM

No, he created them complete what would evolution have to do with that....They were the first two.

I believe they were.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 08:28 AM
Edited by Nubby on Fri 01/30/09 08:32 AM

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 08:19 AM

Is the Christian faith intellectual nonsense? Are Christians deluded?

sorry but Christian have not cornered the market on delusion ..all faiths no matter the religion or the demonination or the philosophy are delusional ....

faith is the practice of willingly placing oneself into a state of delusion

Ok

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info Nubby. It will probably be a while before I watch the dvd, but I will post my thoughts on it after I do.

happy

Sounds good I would like to know what you think.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 07:41 AM
".... one may answer Flemming by noting that a philosophy should not be judged by its abuse. One could make a similar apologetic against atheism by naming atheists like Stalin, Mao, and the Khmer Rouge who were responsible for the killing fields of Cambodia. Every one of these despots and brutal governments embraced atheism and oppressed people. One could easily produce a “documentary” showing Flemming and his guests smiling and happy with their atheism, then turn to photographs of Stalin who killed 7 million, Pol Pot who killed 1.2 million, and of course Mao who killed more than 70 million. This is certainly a mixed bag. However, this would do nothing to prove atheism wrong.

If the representatives of that Deity, whether priest, televangelist or faith healer, can regularly be found guilty of child abuse, avarice or fraud, then one can hardly tout Christianity as the one effective guide and guarantor of proper moral behavior. Any philosophy, no matter what it may claim for itself in principle, is only as good as it works in practice. Christianity's track record gives us no reason to regard it as occupying a privileged position in regard to divine benefaction, and in that respect Licona's implication (if inadvertent) that we should regard it as part of a level playing-field is entirely correct."

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 07:21 AM
There, I expected the film to be a somewhat scholarly (as far as these guys can get) review of the best case for the Christ myth.

What I got was so bad it makes The Bible Fraud look like peer-reviewed scholarship.

How does it actually break down? By percents:

20% a documentary on Earl Doherty's Christ myth theory (though Doherty does not appear in the main film!)
20% pagan copycat garbage (that's not an insult; he actually makes use of Graves' "16 Crucified Saviors" list as well as the Freke-Gandy "crucified Bacchus" forgery!)
20% objecting to the religious right
10% objecting to how bloody "The Passion" was
30% Flemming offering a tempter tantrum over his prior fundamentalist upbringing, to the point of him childishly ending the film in the chapel he was "saved" in and declaring his apostasy there in "nanny nanny boo boo" fashion
Some random thoughts otherwise, for a mostly random film:

Flemming appears to be a man with serious psychological problems. He has gone from being an Christian who was gullible and ready to believe anything to a Skeptic who is gullible and ready to believe anything. His eyes look more dead than toxic waste. He apparently lied to his former school principal about the purpose of his interview with him. He has recently (4/06) orchestrated a "War on Easter" in which his fans dump copies of the DVD and other related material into churches. A total of 666 DVDs are being distributed this way, according to a secondary source. This might be acceptable if the scholarship in the film were worth ten cents, but that is precisely the problem -- it isn't. Flemming is using his own ignorance to inflict error on people who are no more aware than he is how much in error he is.
I rather wonder if some of his interviewees (like Richard Carrier) know they were being used in a film that gave Graves' crucified saviors list a highlight. One of the links below notes that Flemming offers conclusions that Carrier in particular otherwise disagrees with (such as that Nazareth did not exist), which would be fine except that Flemming is offering a strongly counter-conesnsus position in which he'll need a solud and consistent mode of defense.
No new arguments, of course -- all Flemming uses has been refuted time and again on this website: late dates for the Gospels; Marcan priority and Q; appeal to the Sanhedrin trying Jesus at night, and especially use of Doherty's "silence" argument. Flemming has stated that the reaction of the church to the film has been to ignore it and hope it will go away. In that case, where is bad boy Flemming with his replies to all this stuff of his that we've refuted before? He claims that there has been no reply to Earl Doherty's Jesus Puzzle. Oh, no?

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 06:58 AM
Read this article before or after watching the video

http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/articles/yama.html

"Biographical Sketch:
Edwin Yamauchi received his B.A. in Hebrew and Hellenistics from Shelton College in 1960. He later earned both his M.A. and Ph.D. in Mediterranean Studies from Brandeis University. He is currently the Professor of History Emeritus at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Throughout his productive writing career, Yamauchi has authored seventeen books, written chapters for thirty-four books, and crafted 172 articles in thirty-six reference works, eighty-nine journal articles, and 107 reviews in twenty-seven journals.

In addition to his occupation at Miami University, Yamauchi serves as a high-ranking officer in five different scholarly societies and also works on five different editorial boards."

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 06:10 AM

For the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

I love that verse.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 06:08 AM
We can agree to disagree. Truth is by definition non contradictory. That is why Jesus was making a very fair statement when He said I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 06:05 AM
I have not expressed any hate toward what you believe Krimsa, in fact I have agreed with you at times and changed my position.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 06:04 AM

Is the Christian faith intellectual nonsense? Are Christians deluded?

Christianity has become a hate crime.

It's a cancer of humanity.

All it does is argue for bigotry.

Yes, it's intellectual nonsense, the proof is in the pudding.

Judism, Catholicism, Islam and the myriad of Paper Popes of Protestantism all arose from the very same folklore.

Let's face it. None of them have a clue what they are talking about.

It's one humongous religion that fell into an infinities of pieces because no one could understand what it was supposed to be about.

It's clearly a failed religion. There can be no doubt about it that it is not the word of any God.

I would personally label these dogmatic religions as hate crimes and have them abolished as such. Their history has proven their ungodliness beyond any shadow of a doubt.

What folklore are you referring to?
What about your posts, are they not hate crimes then. The only way to truly stay neutral is to keep your mouth shut. Your posts are hateful toward what I believe.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 05:16 AM

AMEN TO YOUR WORDS OF WISDOME! I think God would be smiling if he would see all religions joining hands and celebrating him as the one true savior and not condeming others or their beliefs! ( but reflecting HIm with their lives)
They are just uneducated and those who point fingers and put down others beliefs (wrong or right religion) will also someday be judged.
We will all bow the knee someday ... and we are all forgivin.. Thank God!

All religions cant possibly be true. THey may all be wrong, but they cant all possibly be true. It violates a law of logic called the law of non contradiction.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 05:02 AM

Here is a brief review on "The God Who Wasn't There" from imdb.

A bold, eye-opening and hilarious film!, 30 May 2005

Author: DGCFitzgerald from United States

My absolute favorite film of the year. The God Who Wasn't There brings to light some jaw-dropping information on the real origins of Christianity in an engaging and thoroughly entertaining way. A must see for everyone who has suspected that their Sunday school teacher might not have given them the whole story. Also has fascinating and thought-provoking interviews with some of the top scholars investigating the question of the historical Jesus and whether he really ever existed at all. I was particularly struck by the insights on modern Christianity and some of its more troubling aspects. The director, Brian Flemming, takes on all these topics but never loses his humor or warmth. I'm also looking forward to the DVD release, because the special features will be including more commentary tracks and interviews with figures such as world-famous biologist Richard Dawkins and groundbreaking Biblical scholar Earl Doherty. An amazing , excellent film!

"The supposed parallels are spurious. In his important study The Post- Resurrection Appearance Stories of the Gospel Tradition (Stuttgart: Calwer Verlag, 1975), John Alsup has examined all the alleged parallels to Jesus' resurrection and shown them to be apotheosis stories, disappearance stories, etc., not resurrection accounts. The myths of dying and rising gods like Osiris or Adonis, for example, concern merely seasonal symbols for the crop cycle--the plants dying in winter and coming back to life in the spring. (ii) There is no causal link to the disciples' belief. This is evident in Dr. Washington's own examples from ancient Mexico or Nepal. According to Gerhard Kittel, there is "no trace" of myths of dying and rising gods in first century Palestine (Gerhard Kittel, "Die Auferstehung Jesu," Deutsche Theologie 4 [1937]: 159). Thus, no informed scholar would today argue that the original disciples came to believe that Jesus rose from the dead due to pagan influences. It is not surprising that as a philosopher Dr. Washington should be unfamiliar with the field of New Testament studies and historical Jesus research; but it is a shame that this sort of ignorance should be perpetuated among students."

This comes from a debate between Craig and Washington.

I have seen the video, I like to watch and read critical arguments to challenge my faith. If Christianity is not true I am done with it. I have not found any argument thus far that has weakened my faith in Jesus Christ.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 04:55 AM

Eljay said:

So Nero didn't exist? I think there is an extremely large Historical society who would disagree with you.

I don’t understand the historical correlation you are attempting to make between Nero, who was a well documented Roman Emperor and Moses who was some guy who supposedly freed the Hebrew slaves from Egypt yet there is absolutely nothing in the hieroglyphic record that even makes mention of his existence outside of the bible. I’m finding it difficult to believe that the Egyptians would have just glossed over that if it had actually occurred.

I'd like to see you prove to me that Moses is not well documented. There has been more written about Moses than all of the emporers of rome combined!

Documentation by the Egyptians? The bible doesn’t count, Eljay.

Okay - explain why anything documented by the Egyptians is viable and the Bible is not?

Because it seems only logical and reasonable that the Egyptians would have documented the existence of Moses doesn’t it? He should be validated in both civilizations.

That isn't proof af anything. The interpretation's of Heiroglifics are subjective at best. (Or however that word is spelled)

Also - what evidence is there that what was found in the Heiro's weren't themselves fiction - in which case there would be no mention of anyone real. There's no basis for the claim the the bible is fiction - as there's no way to verify the claim.

So your argument here (yet again) is there is no way for us to truly interpret Egyptian hieroglyphics? Is that what I am hearing? Are you familiar with the Rosetta Stone? Do you know what that is? Look it up right now.

"The supposed parallels are spurious. In his important study The Post- Resurrection Appearance Stories of the Gospel Tradition (Stuttgart: Calwer Verlag, 1975), John Alsup has examined all the alleged parallels to Jesus' resurrection and shown them to be apotheosis stories, disappearance stories, etc., not resurrection accounts. The myths of dying and rising gods like Osiris or Adonis, for example, concern merely seasonal symbols for the crop cycle--the plants dying in winter and coming back to life in the spring. (ii) There is no causal link to the disciples' belief. This is evident in Dr. Washington's own examples from ancient Mexico or Nepal. According to Gerhard Kittel, there is "no trace" of myths of dying and rising gods in first century Palestine (Gerhard Kittel, "Die Auferstehung Jesu," Deutsche Theologie 4 [1937]: 159). Thus, no informed scholar would today argue that the original disciples came to believe that Jesus rose from the dead due to pagan influences. It is not surprising that as a philosopher Dr. Washington should be unfamiliar with the field of New Testament studies and historical Jesus research; but it is a shame that this sort of ignorance should be perpetuated among students."

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 04:53 AM

My faith rests firmly on the resurrection. If Jesus rose from the dead, then scripture is inerrant. He upheld the authority of the old Testament numerous times.

According to the New Testament Jesus totally denounced the authority of the Old Testament.

The authority of the Old Testament had people judging one another and stoning sinners to death.

Jesus totally denounced that authority and taught not to judge others and not to throw stones.

The authority of the Old Testament has people seeking revenge and with teh vengence of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Jesus totally denounced that authorty and taught forgiveness and to turn the other cheek.

So even the Bible confirms that Jesus did not support the authority of the Old Testament.

In the book "The True Authorship Of The New Testament" by Abelard Reuchlin, he states that:

"The New Testament, the Church and Christianity, were all the creation of the Calpurnius Piso (pronounced Peso) family, who were Roman aristocrats. The New Testament and all the characters in it - Jesus, all the Josephs, all the Marys, all the disciples, apostles, Paul, John the Baptist - all are fictional. The Pisos created the story and the characters; they tied the story to a specific time and place in history; and they connected it with some peripheral actual people, such as the Herods, Gamaliel, the Roman procurators, etc. But Jesus and everyone involved with him were created (that is fictiotional!) characters.”

I believe he is correct.

I also believe that all of the evidence points to something along these lines. And the only "evidence" that is required is contained within the actual mythology.

It's clearly that there are errors, contraditions, and obvious demagoguery just by reading the text.

Clearly Jesus could not have been the son of the God of Abraham and have so drastically changed his commands.

That's a given right off the top.

I do believe that there were preachers (or rabbi in this case) who did teach about the coming of a savior, and very possible more than one of them claimed to be that savior. They probably were crucified, maybe not even by the Romans, but very possibly by the Jew who were mimicking what the Romans did to criminals.

In any case, I think there were 'rumors' around of a 'savior' that at least gave some credence to the mythology.

The idea that the biblical account could be the word of God is truly asburd.

The simplest fact of all is that if our creator was indeed able to become manifest as a human then he could have written down his own message.

The fact that the Bible is nothing but empty hearsay is basically proof positive that there is nothing at all to the claim that Jesus was God.

Zip. Zilch.

The religion has absolutely no more merit than Greek Mythology.

None.

What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

Question: "What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?"

Answer: In Matthew’s record of what is commonly called The Sermon on the Mount, these words of Jesus are recorded: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-18).

It is frequently argued that if Jesus did not “abolish” the law, then it must still be binding. Accordingly, such components as the Sabbath day requirement must be operative still, along with perhaps numerous other elements of the Mosaic Law. This assumption is grounded upon a misunderstanding of the words and intent of this passage. Christ did not here suggest that the binding nature of the law of Moses would remain forever in effect. Such a view would contradict everything we learn from the balance of the New Testament record (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15). Consider the following points.

Of special significance in this study is the word rendered “abolish.” It translates the Greek term kataluo, literally meaning to “loose down.” The word is found seventeen times in the New Testament. It is used, for example, of the destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans (Matthew 26:61; 27:40; Acts 6:14), and of the dissolving of the human body at death (2 Corinthians 5:1). The term can carry the extended meaning of “to overthrow,” i.e., to “render vain, deprive of success.” In classical Greek, it was used in connection with institutions, laws, etc., to convey the idea of “to invalidate.”

It is especially important to note how the word is used in Matthew 5:17. In this context, “abolish” is set in opposition to “fulfill.” Christ came “...not to abolish, but to fulfill.” The meaning is this. Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, he revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law’s prophetic utterances regarding Himself (Luke 24:44). Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law which called for perfect obedience, or else imposed a “curse” (see Galatians 3:10,13). In this sense, the law’s divine design will ever have an abiding effect. It will always accomplish the purpose for which it was given.

If, however, the law of Moses bears the same relationship to men today, in terms of its binding status, as it did before Christ came, then it was not fulfilled, and Jesus failed at what He came “to do.” On the other hand, if the Lord did accomplish what He came to accomplish, then the law was fulfilled, and it is not a binding legal institution today. Further, if the law of Moses was not fulfilled by Christ, and thus remains as a binding legal system for today, then it is not just partially binding. Rather, it is a totally compelling system. Jesus plainly said that not one “jot or tittle” (representative of the smallest markings of the Hebrew script) would pass away until all was fulfilled. Consequently, nothing of the law was to fail until it had completely accomplished its purpose. Jesus fulfilled the law. Jesus fulfilled all of the law. We cannot say that Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial system, but did not fulfill the other aspects of the law. Jesus either fulfilled all of the law, or none of it. What Jesus' death means for the sacrificial system, it also means for the other aspects of the law.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/30/09 04:50 AM

My faith rests firmly on the resurrection. If Jesus rose from the dead, then scripture is inerrant. He upheld the authority of the old Testament numerous times.

According to the New Testament Jesus totally denounced the authority of the Old Testament.

The authority of the Old Testament had people judging one another and stoning sinners to death.

Jesus totally denounced that authority and taught not to judge others and not to throw stones.

The authority of the Old Testament has people seeking revenge and with teh vengence of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Jesus totally denounced that authorty and taught forgiveness and to turn the other cheek.

So even the Bible confirms that Jesus did not support the authority of the Old Testament.

In the book "The True Authorship Of The New Testament" by Abelard Reuchlin, he states that:

"The New Testament, the Church and Christianity, were all the creation of the Calpurnius Piso (pronounced Peso) family, who were Roman aristocrats. The New Testament and all the characters in it - Jesus, all the Josephs, all the Marys, all the disciples, apostles, Paul, John the Baptist - all are fictional. The Pisos created the story and the characters; they tied the story to a specific time and place in history; and they connected it with some peripheral actual people, such as the Herods, Gamaliel, the Roman procurators, etc. But Jesus and everyone involved with him were created (that is fictiotional!) characters.”

I believe he is correct.

I also believe that all of the evidence points to something along these lines. And the only "evidence" that is required is contained within the actual mythology.

It's clearly that there are errors, contraditions, and obvious demagoguery just by reading the text.

Clearly Jesus could not have been the son of the God of Abraham and have so drastically changed his commands.

That's a given right off the top.

I do believe that there were preachers (or rabbi in this case) who did teach about the coming of a savior, and very possible more than one of them claimed to be that savior. They probably were crucified, maybe not even by the Romans, but very possibly by the Jew who were mimicking what the Romans did to criminals.

In any case, I think there were 'rumors' around of a 'savior' that at least gave some credence to the mythology.

The idea that the biblical account could be the word of God is truly asburd.

The simplest fact of all is that if our creator was indeed able to become manifest as a human then he could have written down his own message.

The fact that the Bible is nothing but empty hearsay is basically proof positive that there is nothing at all to the claim that Jesus was God.

Zip. Zilch.

The religion has absolutely no more merit than Greek Mythology.

None.

Nubby's photo
Thu 01/29/09 03:19 PM

That being said - there isn't a single person walking this planet who isn't delusional, for I defy you to live your life without faith in the fact that you'll even get up in the morning.

Without faith - we would be a planet of walking, delusional paranoid zombies incapable of functioning on any level in society.

That is a load of crap, you can live your life without faith, and I do it daily. . .

Faith- something that is believed especially with strong conviction ; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Expect- To look forward to the probable occurrence or appearance of

I don't have faith I will wake up tomorrow, I expect that I will wake up tomorrow.
Faith in mankind is why all those scams work so well. . .

He is a visiting professor of philosophy at oxford.

Nubby's photo
Thu 01/29/09 03:15 PM
You made a good point.

1 2 11 12 13 15 17 18 19 24 25