Community > Posts By > Nubby

Nubby's photo
Tue 03/17/09 03:53 PM
Edited by Nubby on Tue 03/17/09 03:59 PM

I have not heard one counter arguement to the four facts I stated earlier concerning the resurrection of Christ. If these four facts are true, then the Christian is amply justified in believing Christ rose from the dead.

2 things.
1. Like was pointed out to you the last time you came here, brought up the "facts" and then disappeared, The reason you haven't "heard" a counter-argument is because you ignore any counter argument made.
2. These "facts" are only found in the bible. That is one source. One source does not a fact make.

And what was your counter argument that I supposedly ignored. Willliam Lane Craig used these four facts against Bart Erhman in a debate, not even Erhman could bring a argument against them. Erhman danced around them and was unable to recover after Craig displayed a mathematical equation to calculate the probability of the existence of Christ rising from the dead. Erhman then used humor to recover. It is not one source we are talking about here but the majority consensus of two thousand years of scholarship.

Nubby's photo
Tue 03/17/09 02:43 PM

Most of these things are later found to be forgeries; but it sounds funny like Simon the Magician! I wonder if he could card tricks as well.

I agree with you TB Rich, but this does seem to be legitimate.

Nubby's photo
Tue 03/17/09 02:39 PM

so you still didnt answer me when i asked it if people buddhist ,hindu, jain, sikh and especially people of jewish faith are wrong for what they believe in. and if they are wrong, what makes you so sure?

Yes they are, if truth by definition is non contradictory, then Jesus made a very fair claim when he said "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He made an exclusive claim about himself, "there is no other name by which men must be saved." Thats a very bold claim, and with authority. He claimed exclusivity.

haha wow, point proven. no room for debate right there. the believers of those religions will say the exact same about your religion.

its almost worth giving up trying to open the clouded mind of a "man of faith". it would be easier to teach a neanderthal how to speak.
oh wait, neanderthals never existed......

All religions do have there point of exclusivity.

I was defending why there is no room for other religions in Christianity. If you want to examine the evidence, I have spent many days now defending the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, it would do you well to read over it.

the evidence you provide to defend your god is just as reliable and credible as the evidence other religions provide to defend theirs.
who are you to say that yours is right? who is the pope to say yours is right when there is just as much if not more evidence to point away from christ if you take into consideration people of other religions and evolution?
christians make up a fraction of people on this planet, that is what you have to realize.

First of all, going by your logic, who are you to say I am wrong.

The evidence is not the same for all religions. For instance there are major philosophical problems with Islamic concept of God as being purely one. If this is true, then who was God loving before he created man. Allah then needed man to love.

Even if evolution is true, it could not have taken place with out God, according to Anthony Flew.

I have not heard one counter arguement to the four facts I stated earlier concerning the resurrection of Christ. If these four facts are true, then the Christian is amply justified in believing Christ rose from the dead.

Nubby's photo
Tue 03/17/09 02:27 PM

I was reading a criticism on Bart Ehrman and the guy wrote that Bart tries to shock people by telling them that the bible has been changed so many times, etc. and then stated that while yes that is true, he only does it to shock!!! Now that is just silly, he agrees with the scholarship, but apparently wants to keep it hidden so that he can refute the conclusions.

Erhman doesnt tell you though that many of these changes are actually things like sentence structure, a missed peried, a misspelled word. That is what most of these changes are. Erhman is one of the best textual critics today, but he makes these errors to sound worse than need be..

Nubby's photo
Tue 03/17/09 04:58 AM

ultimately savior worship detracts from the one thing people need to make their lives better and that is faith in themselves. Dependence on unseen forces for guidance means that you are basically blindfolding yourself and listening to others who could very well guide you right off of a cliff.

If you are living a good life what do you need to be saved from? Yourself, Your animal nature? The Devil?

Keep in mind God created everything supposedly. In that God created the devil aka Lucifer who was tossed from heaven disagreeing with god because Angels are not entitled opinions and free will of their own. the devil may be temptation but he is not the bad acts or the cumulation of evil. Man is innately evil by gratis of our instinctual nature which all sin is hinged on.
Greed = hoarding and pack ratting to have food in times of famine.
Gluttony = Gorging behavior like predators do because it is harder to make a kill than people would like to think.
Lust = Nature programmed us with a need to breed.
Wrath = social fear impulse, self preservation. Kill that which will harm (kill) you.
Envy = social dominance.
Pride = Self Consciousness and self awareness.
Sloth = conservation of energy and effort.

The problem in the Church is it tries to elevate us above being animals which we are. In moderation a sin is not a sin but a survival tool. In excess it is a social sin.

Jesus cannot save an idiot that keeps repeating stupid behavior.
For example, A person who thinks that they can get God's forgiveness because "Jesus is his lord and savior" if he keeps doing bad things to others is fooling themselves. Eventually it is not God that will do unto that person but the others of his community.

Faith in a false savior only leads to disappointment and sorrow! Instead of putting faith in God put faith in yourself because being fallible does not make you weak. it makes you human like the rest of us!

If believing in Jesus fills some void in your life GROOVY! It dopes not make you any better or worst than the rest of us. it is just disappointing to me to see people so beguiled by such a pack of utter triviality! Jesus does not make the man, YOU do!

MNSHO......

p.s. my not so humble opinion...

Your sin has separated you from God. You have violated Gods law, and stand guilty before him. You will not see the face of God in your condition.

“The Bible says that God is holy, holy, holy. Not that He is merely holy, or even holy, holy. He is holy, holy, holy. The Bible never says that God is love, love, love, or mercy, mercy, mercy, or wrath, wrath, wrath, or justice, justice, justice. It does say that He is holy, holy, holy, the whole earth is full of His glory.”

It means to be set apart and pure.

"When things are made holy, when they are consecrated, they are set apart unto purity. They are to be used in a pure way. They are to reflect purity as well as simple apartness. Purity is not excluded from the idea of the holy; it is contained within it. But the point we must remember is that the idea of the holy is never exhausted by the idea of purity. It includes purity but is much more than that. It is purity and transcendence. It is a transcendent purity."

"Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? and who may stand in His holy place? "

"But when the word holy is applied to God, it does not signify one single attribute. On the contrary, God is called holy in a general sense. The word is used as a synonym for his deity. That is, the word holy calls attention to all that God is. It reminds us that His love is holy love, his justice is holy justice, his mercy is holy mercy, his knowledge is holy knowledge, his spirit is holy spirit."

Correct me if I am wrong but the way you wrote this it sounds like you are making a judgment of me. If you are calling me a sinner be fore warned that as you judge so shall you be judged...

Your statement DRIPS of PRIDE.

If the way to heaven is through Jesus I hope he understands if I push him aside! I only answer to God MAYBE! I will stand before God while you kneel, I will even fold my arms in God's face if God tries to Judge me. Why? I try to live in balance which says a lot more than any other religion does. I don't need a savior to lead me anywhere.

My way may not be perfect but it is not flawed like Christian logic! I am not a blind follower any more.

I bet it ruffles your feathers knowing that some of us would rather choose to 'grow' to be like God rather than live in submission of him. It may be my personal pride but when people say to set my sights high I can think of no ambition or goal more lofty. It would be hubris on my part to assume any God like potential on my part. I am a child of God so I choose to grow up to be like God if it is at all possible. It is not about Dominion. I doubt you would even remotely begin to understand my point of view because you cling to such short sighted vision of the world around you.

Jesus is a warm snuggly security blanket for those who cannot face a cold cruel world alone.

In death will come the truth and I don't think the truth is what any of us would care or choose to believe. Until then Carpe Diem. if living a life without Jesus is a sin them I am HELL BOUND my friend! That means Satan has been keeping my throne warm all these years!

So I do have a good after life to look foreword to as a ruler of hell!pitchfork

I guess being a good person is not good enough in your book!

Hail to Saint Peter, Keeper of Heaven's Gate! drinks

In context the verse you are talking about is about judging another believer.

I am sorry if what I wrote came off the wrong way.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 07:15 PM

so you still didnt answer me when i asked it if people buddhist ,hindu, jain, sikh and especially people of jewish faith are wrong for what they believe in. and if they are wrong, what makes you so sure?

Yes they are, if truth by definition is non contradictory, then Jesus made a very fair claim when he said "I am the way, the truth, and the life." He made an exclusive claim about himself, "there is no other name by which men must be saved." Thats a very bold claim, and with authority. He claimed exclusivity.

haha wow, point proven. no room for debate right there. the believers of those religions will say the exact same about your religion.

its almost worth giving up trying to open the clouded mind of a "man of faith". it would be easier to teach a neanderthal how to speak.
oh wait, neanderthals never existed......

All religions do have there point of exclusivity.

I was defending why there is no room for other religions in Christianity. If you want to examine the evidence, I have spent many days now defending the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, it would do you well to read over it.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 05:29 PM
Edited by Nubby on Mon 03/16/09 05:31 PM

ultimately savior worship detracts from the one thing people need to make their lives better and that is faith in themselves. Dependence on unseen forces for guidance means that you are basically blindfolding yourself and listening to others who could very well guide you right off of a cliff.

If you are living a good life what do you need to be saved from? Yourself, Your animal nature? The Devil?

Keep in mind God created everything supposedly. In that God created the devil aka Lucifer who was tossed from heaven disagreeing with god because Angels are not entitled opinions and free will of their own. the devil may be temptation but he is not the bad acts or the cumulation of evil. Man is innately evil by gratis of our instinctual nature which all sin is hinged on.
Greed = hoarding and pack ratting to have food in times of famine.
Gluttony = Gorging behavior like predators do because it is harder to make a kill than people would like to think.
Lust = Nature programmed us with a need to breed.
Wrath = social fear impulse, self preservation. Kill that which will harm (kill) you.
Envy = social dominance.
Pride = Self Consciousness and self awareness.
Sloth = conservation of energy and effort.

The problem in the Church is it tries to elevate us above being animals which we are. In moderation a sin is not a sin but a survival tool. In excess it is a social sin.

Jesus cannot save an idiot that keeps repeating stupid behavior.
For example, A person who thinks that they can get God's forgiveness because "Jesus is his lord and savior" if he keeps doing bad things to others is fooling themselves. Eventually it is not God that will do unto that person but the others of his community.

Faith in a false savior only leads to disappointment and sorrow! Instead of putting faith in God put faith in yourself because being fallible does not make you weak. it makes you human like the rest of us!

If believing in Jesus fills some void in your life GROOVY! It dopes not make you any better or worst than the rest of us. it is just disappointing to me to see people so beguiled by such a pack of utter triviality! Jesus does not make the man, YOU do!

MNSHO......

p.s. my not so humble opinion...

Your sin has separated you from God. You have violated Gods law, and stand guilty before him. You will not see the face of God in your condition.

“The Bible says that God is holy, holy, holy. Not that He is merely holy, or even holy, holy. He is holy, holy, holy. The Bible never says that God is love, love, love, or mercy, mercy, mercy, or wrath, wrath, wrath, or justice, justice, justice. It does say that He is holy, holy, holy, the whole earth is full of His glory.”

It means to be set apart and pure.

"When things are made holy, when they are consecrated, they are set apart unto purity. They are to be used in a pure way. They are to reflect purity as well as simple apartness. Purity is not excluded from the idea of the holy; it is contained within it. But the point we must remember is that the idea of the holy is never exhausted by the idea of purity. It includes purity but is much more than that. It is purity and transcendence. It is a transcendent purity."

"Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD? and who may stand in His holy place? "

"But when the word holy is applied to God, it does not signify one single attribute. On the contrary, God is called holy in a general sense. The word is used as a synonym for his deity. That is, the word holy calls attention to all that God is. It reminds us that His love is holy love, his justice is holy justice, his mercy is holy mercy, his knowledge is holy knowledge, his spirit is holy spirit."

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 05:13 PM
Oldest Hebrew Writing Possibly Found
Matti Friedman, Associated Press
e-mail share bookmark print

Still Legible | Discovery News Video: Archaeology

Oct. 31, 2008 -- An Israeli archaeologist has discovered what he believes is the oldest known Hebrew inscription on a 3,000-year-old pottery shard -- a find that suggests Biblical accounts of the ancient Israelite kingdom of David could have been based on written texts.
A teenage volunteer discovered the curved shard bearing five lines of faded characters in July in the ruins of an ancient town on a hilltop south of Jerusalem. Yossi Garfinkel, the Israeli archaeologist leading the excavations at Hirbet Qeiyafa, released his conclusions about the writing Thursday after months of study.
He said the relic is strong evidence that the ancient Israelites were literate and could chronicle events centuries before the Bible was written. This could suggest that some of the Bible's accounts were based on written records as well as oral traditions -- adding credence to arguments that the Biblical account of history is more than myth.
The shard was found near the stairs and stone washtub of an excavated home. It was later discovered to bear characters known as proto-Canaanite, a precursor of the Hebrew alphabet.
Related Content:

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 05:11 PM

There is no historical evidence that Josephus was just a pen name

Let's talk Historical Evidence.
There is NO Historical Evidence of these Events:
The Jews wondering around the desert for 40 years.
Moses(and all the events dealing with the Jews and Egyptians)
Jesus.

Lack of evidence does not mean it never happened.

At this time the Lack of evidence strongly suggests it never happened, and once a certain point is reached, yes, lack of evidence means it didn't happen.

You take the lack of evidence of Jesus, along with the fact that many gods(from the 1000 years before Jesus) share certain aspects of their stories with him, and one who thinks logically can only conclude that those who wrote the story of the biblical Jesus took from the stories of those gods to create the biblical Jesus.

THere is alot of inconclusive data from that time. We cannot say it didnt happen.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 05:08 PM

The problem with josephus is that copies of his works were found in Turkey which were considered much older versions and none of them had any reference to Jesus in them.

The sentences about Jesus are consistent with his writing style.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 04:15 PM

does religion by design demand that there is no room for debate nubby?
you say that i am lost because i dont accept your god? a little condesending isnt it?
i dont know about you but all i understand is that you talk to god, but when does god ever talk back? you say through his actions he speaks...do you have any personal stories that you can actually say god has specifically answered one of your questions? i would really like to know.

another thing nubby. have you ever questioned your belief system?
let me relate it to something as simple at addition. when you are young you are taught 1+1=2, if you dont believe it, you can grab one apple, put it beside another apple and see for a fact that you have now 2 apples.
but when you are then taught that there is a magical man in the sky that sees you when youre sleeping, who knows when youre awake, who knows if youve been bad or good...wouldnt you want proof to actually believe in him? not just ancient stories from fearful men?

The Christian faith is not a vacuous leap at it were.

It through his spirit and his word that God can communicate with a believer. There is a good article in Christianity Today I will post on here.

I have questioned my belief system. It ended up giving me a much deeper faith.

I am confident Christ was who he claimed to be. I have a confident hope.

These are not just stories made up by men. Look at the tests for a prophet in the old testament. A false prophecy meant death. God actually breathed through these men inspiring them to write these things down.

wait a second here, i thought the story of jesus rising was in the new testament.
and anyways, just because way back when in the old testement when false prophecy meant death, who was to decide the punishment? leaders? and it was to create fear. just like the witch trials not so long ago.
but that punishment you describe exactly proves my point that religion does not leave any room for question due to fear?
are you saying people of buddhist ,hindu, jain, sikh and especially people of jewish faith(because they reject the fact that jesus is the messiah) are wrong for thier beliefs? or is it your duty or a "man of faith" to kill them?

and im not mocking you or anything when i ask, when god speaks to you, what does he say? what does his voice sound like? does he have a north american accent, or is it an arabic accent? does he speak to you when you in your dreams? or is it when you are conscious?

if you can come up with an answer to all my questions above, i might just be impressed a little

The community was to judge the prophet.
The new covenant between God and his people is about Grace, not fear of judgement.

"My kingdom is not of this world that men should fight." Christ;s call to us is to lay down the sword when it concerns his name.

God speaks to me through his word mainly. I have had one experience, and never since, where the power of the Holy Spirit overwhelmed me, I wont say anything more. I put forth in the forum an experience of prophecy. You should read it. I know for a fact that God still speaks through dreams today, mainly in 3rd world countries where the word of God has not penetrated. I have heard of many a muslim who come Christ through this means. We see a proliferation of miracles when the word of God needs to be moved in a special way. I believe the gifts of the spirit are still active today just not nearly as often.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 04:01 PM

There is no historical evidence that Josephus was just a pen name. What is questionable is his patriotism. Historians know quite a bit about him.

Well, yes there is. The writings attributed to him (Josephus) is the historical evidence. We know they exist.

BUT

If there is no historical evidence that Josephus was a real person and that he actually lived and died during that time, then the writings attributed to the name 'Josephus' were logically written or penned by someone else.

Hence Josephus was a pen name unless you can prove that he was a real person who lived at the time of the writings and/or that he was the author.

I don't think he was a real person and I suspect the person who wrote what is attributed to "Josephus" was someone else entirely.

Its 2 far fetched. Historians take his writings seriously and so do I.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 03:59 PM

There is no historical evidence that Josephus was just a pen name

Let's talk Historical Evidence.
There is NO Historical Evidence of these Events:
The Jews wondering around the desert for 40 years.
Moses(and all the events dealing with the Jews and Egyptians)
Jesus.

Lack of evidence does not mean it never happened.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 03:47 PM

isn't the Word Christ an Anointment or Title Like Merlin?

Yeah

I made a mistake, The name might have been used by others claiming to be the Messiah.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 01:53 PM

isn't the Word Christ an Anointment or Title Like Merlin?

Yeah

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 01:46 PM
I find this interesting, this is exactly what the early rabbinical writings refer to him as, a magician. You see, there is a sense that when Christ came he did miracles.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 01:42 PM
Edited by Nubby on Mon 03/16/09 01:51 PM
Oct. 1, 2008 -- A team of scientists led by renowned French marine archaeologist Franck Goddio recently announced that they have found a bowl, dating to between the late 2nd century B.C. and the early 1st century A.D., that, according to an expert epigrapher, could be engraved with the world's first known reference to Christ.
If the word "Christ" refers to the Biblical Jesus Christ, as is speculated, then the discovery may provide evidence that Christianity and paganism at times intertwined in the ancient world.
The full engraving on the bowl reads, "DIA CHRSTOU O GOISTAIS," which has been interpreted by French epigrapher and professor emeritus Andre Bernand as meaning either, "by Christ the magician" or "the magician by Christ."
"It could very well be a reference to Jesus Christ, in that he was once the primary exponent of white magic," Goddio, co-founder of the Oxford Center of Maritime Archaeology, said.
Related Content:

Discovery News blog: Archaeorama
How Stuff Works: Was Jesus Really Born on December 25?
Jesus Tomb Believed Found

He and his colleagues found the object during an excavation of the underwater ruins of Alexandria's ancient great harbor. The Egyptian site also includes the now submerged island of Antirhodos, where Cleopatra's palace may have been located.
Egyptologist David Fabre, a member of the European Institute of Submarine Archaeology, thinks a "magus" could have practiced fortune-telling rituals using the bowl. The Book of Mathew in the Bible refers to "wisemen," or Magi, believed to have been prevalent in the ancient world.
According to Fabre, the bowl is also very similar to one depicted in two early Egyptian earthenware statuettes that are thought to show a soothsaying ritual.
"It has been known in Mesopotamia probably since the 3rd millennium B.C.," Fabre said. "The soothsayer interprets the forms taken by the oil poured into a cup of water in an interpretation guided by manuals."

He added that the individual, or "medium," then goes into a hallucinatory trance when studying the oil in the cup.
"They therefore see the divinities, or supernatural beings appear that they call to answer their questions with regard to the future," he said.
The magus might then have used the engraving on the bowl to legitimize his supernatural powers by invoking the name of Christ, the scientists theorize.
Goddio explained, "It is very probable that in Alexandria they were aware of the existence of Jesus" and of his associated legendary miracles. Based on Biblical texts, these included transforming water into wine, multiplying loaves of bread, conducting miraculous health cures, and the story of the resurrection.
While not discounting the Jesus Christ interpretation, other researchers have offered different possible interpretations for the engraving, which was made on the thin-walled ceramic bowl after it was fired, since slip was removed during the process.
Bert Smith, a professor of classical archaeology and art at Oxford University, suggests the engraving might be a dedication, or present, made by a certain "Chrestos" belonging to a possible religious association called Ogoistais.
Klaus Hallof, director of the Institute of Greek inscriptions at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy, added that if Smith's interpretation proves valid, the word "Ogoistais" could then be connected to known religious groups that worshipped early Greek and Egyptian gods and goddesses, such as Hermes, Athena and Isis.
Hallof additionally pointed out that historians working at around, or just after, the time of the bowl, such as Strabon and Pausanias, refer to the god "Osogo" or "Ogoa," so a variation of this might be what's on the bowl. It is even possible that the bowl refers to both Jesus Christ and Osogo.
Fabre concluded, "It should be remembered that in Alexandria, paganism, Judaism and Christianity never evolved in isolation. All of these forms of religion (evolved) magical practices that seduced both the humble members of the population and the most well-off classes."
"It was in Alexandria where new religious constructions were made to propose solutions to the problem of man, of God's world," he added. "Cults of Isis, mysteries of Mithra, and early Christianity bear witness to this."
The bowl is currently on public display in the exhibit "Egypt's Sunken Treasures" at the Matadero Cultural Center in Madrid, Spain, until November 15.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 01:30 PM

If it's anonymous than, no, it's not legitimate.

The professor who had the experience did not want to draw attention to himself. Its a rare gift, very few people have it. It is the greatest of the spiritual gifts. His experience was auditory, which is very interesting, I think.

Or, there is no professor and this was made up.
If you look at urban legends you will see that that is a common excuse.

Hypothetically, if he did hear a voice it was most likely schizophrenia. How do you tell the difference when it's God or just your ****ed up brain?

The man is not schizophrenic. He is a professor at a reputable university who writes for Christianity today. Christianity today is a very good magazine. Its reputation is very good.

So, a schizophrenic man can't have a job? Let alone a schizophrenic man who doesn't know he has a problem.

How is Christianity Today reputable? Sounds very biased to me.
Just because it's in that magazine also doesn't mean it's true. I once read in a Christian magazine that World of Warcraft was a porn game where you engaged in pedophilia. Very inaccurate.

Anyways, you're avoiding my question. What is the difference between hearing God and hearing voices?

I think the least possible solution is to diagnose the man as schizophrenic. The writer is writing about the event many years later. He would have time to reflect over his experience.
Of course Christianity today has a bias. All writers do. My point is that it is a reputable magazine that prints reliable articles.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 11:25 AM

If it's anonymous than, no, it's not legitimate.

The professor who had the experience did not want to draw attention to himself. Its a rare gift, very few people have it. It is the greatest of the spiritual gifts. His experience was auditory, which is very interesting, I think.

Or, there is no professor and this was made up.
If you look at urban legends you will see that that is a common excuse.

Hypothetically, if he did hear a voice it was most likely schizophrenia. How do you tell the difference when it's God or just your ****ed up brain?

The man is not schizophrenic. He is a professor at a reputable university who writes for Christianity today. Christianity today is a very good magazine. Its reputation is very good.

Nubby's photo
Mon 03/16/09 11:19 AM

I am well aware of the alleged story of Josephus but I don't believe there is any real proof that he was an actual person, and not simply a made up character or a pen name for the true author of his works. (Like Shakespeare was a pen name.) I realize that like "Jesus" he is considered by most to be an "actual person," who lived, but the question is, did he really exist and if so, was that his real given name, and is what people wrote about him true, and is there verified evidence or proof of his life and death other than scripture and written words?

Not enough proof for me to be convinced.

Eusebius reports that a statue of Josephus was erected in Rome."

Who is Eusebuis?

Josephus is not the only writer who refers to the Christ.

The term "Christ" or "The Christ" or "The Messiah" does not necessarily refer to "Jesus" in particular.

There is no historical evidence that Josephus was just a pen name. What is questionable is his patriotism. Historians know quite a bit about him.

Eusebius was the bishop of Caesarea Palaestina at about 314 AD.

2 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25