Community > Posts By > Nubby

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 01:47 PM

I personally used to battle with alcohol, the bible calls us to be sober minded. I personally dont see any problem with using it for medical purposes. Using it recreationally would be sin.

"nubby" ...Jesus noted for his turning water into wine and christians drinking wine as a subsitute for the blood of Christ is not Christianity exactly pushing towards a sober mind

wouldn't this means the ritual is a sin

Wine back then was watered down. The bible says not to be drunk with much wine.

Alcohol is not forbidden in the bible.

whether it was watered down or not the ritual wasn't pushing towards soberity or a sober mind just the opposite

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 01:43 PM
“There is no greater drama in human record than the sight of a few Christians, scorned or oppressed by…emperors, bearing all trials with a fiery tenacity, multiplying quietly, building order while their enemies generated chaos, fighting the sword with the word, brutality with hope, and at long last defeating the strongest state that history has ever known. Caesar and Christ had met in the arena and Christ had won.” (Will Durant, “Caesar and Christ: A History of Roman Civilization and of Christianity from their Beginnings to A.D. 325, pp 652)

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 12:19 PM

I personally used to battle with alcohol, the bible calls us to be sober minded. I personally dont see any problem with using it for medical purposes. Using it recreationally would be sin.

"nubby" ...Jesus noted for his turning water into wine and christians drinking wine as a subsitute for the blood of Christ is not Christianity exactly pushing towards a sober mind

wouldn't this means the ritual is a sin

Wine back then was watered down. The bible says not to be drunk with much wine.

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 12:18 PM

Can you quote where the bible says it is ever a sin?

Although the Bible does not address marijuana directly, it does discuss other mind-altering drugs. Specifically, the Bible addresses the use of drugs in the book of Galatians:

Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)

So, where are the drugs mentioned in this verse? Actually, the word translated "sorcery" is the Greek word pharmakeia,4 from which we get the English word "pharmacy." The primary meaning is "the use or the administering of drugs" (usually associated with sorcery or idolatry). Since this verse comes from a list of things that if practiced would preclude one from heaven, this should be a reasonably strong suggestion that the Christian should not practice drug use. In addition, the book of Revelation lists drug use as one of the things for which the unrepentant will suffer the wrath of God.5

Like I said in another verce you have to line it up with the law.. You are taking socery from a greek word. Sorsery in Hebrew translated would be withcraft. So as far as that speaking of drugs it can not be. Or else Yahshua ia a liar as he said the Law would always be with us. Shalom...Miles

Yeah that wasnt the best verse to use I am gonna get rid of it.

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 12:09 PM
Edited by Nubby on Mon 01/26/09 12:24 PM

Can you quote where the bible says it is ever a sin?

Nubby's photo
Mon 01/26/09 12:03 PM

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 06:13 PM
Edited by Nubby on Sun 01/25/09 06:14 PM
I am done with this thread. Sorry three facts.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 06:07 PM

Christian scholars maybe. Not any credible archeologist or cultural or physical anthropologists.

Again, you dont know what your talking about. Theologians liberal or conservative weigh all the evidence. Do you want me to qoute historians who's specialty is during this time.

Theologians are not objective.

That is ignorance.
So if it comes out of the mouth of a "theologian" it must be true?

Would a historian be better?
That didn't answer my question. Or my previous question. Who are these scholars you speak of? I wanna look up their work and "facts" you are talking about.

Read my 4 facts. Look everyone up.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 06:05 PM
theology - the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth
theology - a particular system or school of religious beliefs and teachings; "Jewish theology"; "Roman Catholic theology"
theology - the learned profession acquired by specialized courses in religion (usually taught at a college or seminary); "he studied theology at Oxford"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 06:02 PM

Christian scholars maybe. Not any credible archeologist or cultural or physical anthropologists.

Again, you dont know what your talking about. Theologians liberal or conservative weigh all the evidence. Do you want me to qoute historians who's specialty is during this time.

That is ignorance.
So if it comes out of the mouth of a "theologian" it must be true?

Would a historian be better?

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 06:00 PM
Edited by Nubby on Sun 01/25/09 06:01 PM

That is ignorance.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:56 PM

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:47 PM

Those facts are agreed upon by liberal scholarship. Can we know anything about history?

Nubby, We can prove things in history with evidence of it occurring. The bible isn't "evidence". And just because scholars believe things to be true, doesn't make it FACT.

It is agreed upon by scholarship today that the gospels are actual attempts by the disciples and followers of Jesus to write biographies concerning the life of Jesus.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:38 PM

Nubby- Those are not facts. Just because they were written in the bible, doesn't make them facts.
They are indeed, beliefs. There's nothing wrong with your beliefs UNTIL you start showing them to others as FACT.

Fact- Generally, a fact is defined as something that is true, something that actually exists, or something having objective reality that can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation.

-You can not verify or prove any of those things actually happened.

Belief- Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true

Those facts are agreed upon by liberal scholarship. Can we know anything about history?

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:33 PM
agree with Ruse that Hitler’s ideology was not built solely on Darwinism. Nonetheless, Ruse does not seem to realize that Darwinism was a central, guiding principle of Nazi ideology, especially of Hitler’s own world view. Richard Evans, historian at Cambridge University, has explained, "The real core of Nazi beliefs lay in the faith Hitler proclaimed in his speech of September 1938 in science—a Nazi view of science—as the basis for action. Science demanded the furtherance of the interests not of God but of the human race, and above all the German race and its future in a world ruled by ineluctable laws of Darwinian competition between races and between individuals." This is not a controversial claim by anti-evolutionists, but it is commonly recognized by scholars who study Nazism.

Richard Weikart is professor of history at California State University, Stanislaus, and author of From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany.

You will never admit it but your wrong.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:29 PM
Fact # 1: On the Sunday following his crucifixion, Jesus' tomb was found empty by a group of his women followers. According to Jacob Kremer, an Austrian scholar who has specialized in the study of the resurrection, "By far most scholars hold firmly to the reliability of the Biblical statements about the empty tomb."{14} According to the New Testament critic, D.H. van Daalen, it is extremely difficult to object to the empty tomb on historical grounds; those who deny it do so on the basis of theological or philosophical assumptions.

23. Fact # 2: On separate occasions different individuals and groups saw appearances of Jesus alive after his death. According to the prominent, skeptical German New Testament critic Gerd Ludemann, "It may be taken as historically certain that...the disciples had experiences after Jesus' death in which Jesus appeared to them as the risen Christ."{15} These appearances were witnessed not only by believers, but also by unbelievers, skeptics, and even enemies.

24. Fact # 3: The original disciples suddenly came to believe in the resurrection of Jesus despite having every predisposition to the contrary. Jews had no belief in a dying, much less a rising, Messiah, and Jewish beliefs about the afterlife precluded anyone's rising from the dead prior to the end of the world. Luke Johnson, a New Testament scholar at Emory University, muses, "Some sort of powerful, transformative experience is required to generate the sort of movement earliest Christianity was..."{16} N. T. Wright, an eminent British scholar, concludes, "That is why, as an historian, I cannot explain the rise of early Christianity unless Jesus rose again, leaving an empty tomb behind him."{17}

25. Therefore, it seems to me, the Christian is amply justified in believing that Jesus rose from the dead and was who he claimed to be. But that entails that God exists.

Krimsa, am I justified in my belief that Christ Rose from the dead.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:25 PM

But you never provide evidence for this hypothesis that Hitler was a fake Christian. If he, indeed, pretended himself as a Christian, then on what evidential material does it stand on? If Hitler acted as a pretend Christian, then where does he disown his belief in Christ? Does he write in his private notes that he used religion only for political purposes? Did any of his close associates or friends think so? Where?

Of course Hitler did try to use political force to control Christianity and he tried to establish a unified Reich Christian Church, but this only supports his stand on his view of "positive Christianity" as described in the Nazi party platform (their version of a constitution). And yes, he criticized the Catholic and Protestant hierarchy, but so what? So do Popes and Protestant leaders. Martin Luther himself strongly condemned the Catholic religion and thought of it as the work of the Devil.

You will need to do better then that, Eljay.

Satan LOVES distorting the Gospel message...

and WILL seek and find those, whom he can work thru....

and further decieve....and devour...

and work every kind of atrocity thru!!!

Like Hitler, for instance!!!

And no...there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
about what Hitler did,

that represents TRUE christianity...in ANY form or fashion ...... whatsoever!!!!!!!!

Hitler USED and TWISTED Christianity .... for his GAIN!!

AND futhermore....

it doesn't take a rocket scientist .....

to figure that out by now!!!!

"You shall know them by their FRUITS"

That is non responsive. We are talking about Adolph Hitler.

I am sorry Krimsa your wrong about Hitler and the link to Darwinian Evolution.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:23 PM

He uses a lot of one liners and doesnt really refute anything thrown at him however. Ive been underwhelmed by his arguments thus far. huh

I dont think Calvin is very strong in the sciences either. happy

I have not argued much science.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:08 PM
The belief that creation days are long periods of time is not just a recent interpretation of the scriptures, but was prevalent since the first century. Dr. Ross has published a book entitled Creation and Time, which documents in detail what first century Jewish scholars and the early Christian church fathers said regarding their interpretation of creation chronology (5). Jewish scholars include Philo and Josephus, while Christian fathers include Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Hippolytus (through writings of Ambrose), Clement, Origen, Lactantius, Victorinus, Methodius, Augustine, Eusebius, Basil, and Ambrose. Among this group, nearly all acknowledged the likelihood that the creation days were longer than 24 hours. The evidence presented in Creation and Time is both overwhelming and well documented (all references are given). You can read and/or download translations of the actual text of all of the early church fathers at Wheaton College's server. The collection consists of nearly forty files, averaging ~2 mb each. Alternatively, these writings can be obtained on CD from Logos Research.

Nubby's photo
Sun 01/25/09 05:04 PM

religions (christianity included) all have hocus pocus explanations for how things came about.

i find it funny that ppl can look back and laugh at how crazy it sounded when ppl believed that athena jumped out of zeus' skull...
and in the same breath they'll regurgitate some crazy story from their religion as if its any different...

i think MLK said it best when he recognized "Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power."

in the end - this is good for all of us. it represents progress. just as people walked away from religions in the past, they will walk away from the religions of today.

I dont think so, Literal translations of the Hebrew word, yom, like our English word "day," can refer to a 24 hour day, sunrise to sunset (12 hours), or a long, unspecified period of time.