Community > Posts By > ShiningArmour

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 02:47 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

You have to realize that God is not a human being. He is a spirit. He is beyond human. His mind is infinite as is his wizdom and knowledge.
Therefor to attempt to understand God from what we read is simply not possible. Therefor we will never know why the blood is needed other than to cover sin.

All you're basically saying here is the following:

Yes, any sane reasonable person can see that the biblical account of God is unwise, and any attempt to understand it as being wise based on the Bible alone will always fail. Therefore, in order to believe in this religion you must imagine that God is so infinitely wise that he can make this stupidity work somehow. whoa

I mean, seriously.

Why bother?

There already exist other spiritual philosophies that are already sane. Why buy into one that's insane under the hope that some infinite God can explain why it appears to be insane when in fact it's actually sane?

That's just silly.

Just face the facts that the mythology itself cannot be made to make sense. So why even bother with it in the first place?

If you need to imagine some external infinitely wise explanations to justify the absurdities in the mythology then I say just drop it as a failed mythology in the first place.

Why support absurdities under some crazy notion that there "might exist" explanations of why these absurd things could potentially make sense to someone who has way more knowledge than the mythology provides?

That's really just scraping the bottom of the barrel to try to support something that everyone recognizes as being absurd, even the Christians themselves who recognize the need to appeal to imaginary explanations that aren't part of the mythology.

That whole line of thinking is itself absurd, IMHO.

You could apply that same argument to the mythology of Zeus if you wanted to. Or anything really. That's a non-argument, as far as I'm concerned. That's just pure desperation to try to push an obviously absurd mythology that contains no rational explanations itself.

So I'm guessing you want me to go to what? Another mythology? Buddhism or perhaps evolution mythology? Either way you look at it everyone believes something. Even if they can't prove it. It all takes faith.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 11:43 AM

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT IS WHEN WE ARE JUDGED FOR OUR SINS.

That's not true.

The Old Testament taught people to seek revenge, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Jesus taught to turn the other cheek and forgive.

Jesus taught the wisdom of Buddha, not the violence of the Old Testament. flowerforyou

Nope, your story doesn't hold water, IMHO.

But what I have recognized to be truth does.

So again, I'm not impressed. Your claims just don't hold true from my perspective.

I see no reason to support male-chauvinism, religious bigotry, and a need to condone blood sacrifices in order to be "saved".

None of that seems divine to me.

And then you have a God who condemns non-believers for simply not believing that God is associated with all these horrible things?

Sorry, that's kills it right there.

Once again Abra your wise in your own eyes. Nobody can get through to you because you already believe that your right.
To you you the argument is closed. Your mind isn't open to new idea's. No matter what we say your outcome will always be the same.

It will never seem "divine" to you. None of it will ever seem right.
That's the problem with arguing. All it does is reinforce the idea that your right and we are wrong.

The reason for the eye for an eye belief was because in the old days they lived life by "The law" people wanted revenge and would therefor go after eyes for eyes and teeth for teeth.
So the lawmakers saw this and thought it easier to simply incorporate it into the law.
Now just for fun as well as clarification today we go to prison for breaking the law. Back then you just got stoned (By rocks not drugs)

Jesus simply steered people straight. Which I think we can both agree was the right way to go. Wether it was said by boo-duh or Jesus it's still right.

So if jesus said it, there is probably good reason. Anything you can dig up I or someone else can explain away.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 10:57 AM

I never used to question this before though I'd question anything else, but I am now, and I don't think I believe it all anymore. I believe God exists, but if He's as loving as is said, more so then we, then the Bible version doesn't quite fit. A loving God would not damn anyone no matter what, a loving God would not force us to choose Him and His way with the threat of fire and hell, free will it isn't. How can it be, if there's a catch?

How can a loving God damn someone for living a good life but just believing the wrong faith, or not believing at all? It's all a dividing tool seems to me, as everyone think they're right, and they argue it instead of loving each other, the powers that be pray on this.

The truth is, everyone thinks they're right cause God can be seen anywhere, He is everywhere.

Thoughts people? Anyone else come to these conclusions? I know I'll probably get flak for it, but logically it's common sense if you open your mind to see it.

A good analogy for this is found in a book called "The case for faith"
God is like a man at a party. Let's say you go to this party and spot this man. He is the best dressed,the best looking,and quite frankly awesome. He is the life of the party and is constantly surrounded by people.
You have two choices, Choice 1. You approach this man and talk with him fellowship with him and at the end of the party go for drinks at his place.
Choice number 2. You do not talk to this man. You avoid him. You do not join him for drinks later because you do not know him nor does he know you.
Would you want to be forced against your will to go to his place? A man you don't even know? Of course not.

It's the same way with God. He's not going to force you to do things his way. If you serve another then that is your choice. God did not send you to Hell, you sent yourself there by the life YOU CHOOSE to live.
Besides that, why would you want to go to heaven and be with God if you don't even know the guy? Honestly, evreone in heaven would think the same way. They would all love and talk about God. You would be totally out of place there. You would not belong. You would be like a wedding crasher.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 10:47 AM

God came from the bible! Without the bible we would know NOTHING of God! Unless you count hearsay from other people.

Unless you count hearsay from other people?

That's exactly what the Bible is.

It's just hearsay from other people.

Abra here is living proof.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 10:44 AM

I agree. Instead of calling God a liar and an evil being why don't you just say what's on your mind so someone can explain it?

The authors of the Bible make God out to be an evil being. That's one reason why I reject their stories.

No one can explain why a supposedly all-wise divine being is appeased by blood sacrifices. It certainly isn't explained in the Bible, it's just assumed that God is like that, probably because people were already accustom to accepting those kinds of Gods back in those days so no one felt any need to justify it. People just believed that this is what God's were like.

I need no explanations. It's all crystal clear to me.

The Old Testament is just fables like those of Zeus. There's nothing divine about them. They condone male-chauvinism, bigotry against "heathens", and the judging of others to be 'sinners'.

I don't believe that a truly divine being would support any of that.

The Old Testament also has God dealing with sin by drowning out the sinners, which fits in with the persona of those fables.

However, the New Testament is a story about a man who had a totally different view of life. He simply didn't support the moral values of the Old Testament. He taught moral values that were far more closely aligned with the teachings of Buddha.

He was wrongfully crucified for his views. And then the New Testament is nothing more than rumors that try to make out like this man was the son of the God of the Old Testament.

So I need no explanations. I have a totally acceptable explanation of the whole thing.

The Old Testament is total mythology.

Jesus was a mystic that was basically teaching the moral values of Buddhism and pantheism (i.e. what you do to your brother you do to me)

And the New Testament is just hearsay rumors that try to use Jesus to prop up the old religious bigotries of the Old Testament.

So I have all my answers with no questions left. The whole thing makes perfect sense to me as I've described it. Yet it makes absolutely no sense at all if you try to support the Christian view of things, IMHO.

So I have no questions. Just explanations. bigsmile

First you go on about how God is appeased through blood sacrifices. And later try to understand why this is.
This my friend is your first mistake.

You have to realize that God is not a human being. He is a spirit. He is beyond human. His mind is infinite as is his wizdom and knowledge.
Therefor to attempt to understand God from what we read is simply not possible. Therefor we will never know why the blood is needed other than to cover sin.

Now you say that there is male chauvinism and bigotry.
Well the man is the leader of the woman. That's why we have male dominated society and always will. The man is the dominate animal. And the one God has put in charge. Which is why if you take a man and a woman (A man of God) If the man leads the woman will almost always follow. That's the rule. That's how it works by nature.

Now about seeing others as sinners, they are called that because they have not repented. They have not rejected sin. They sin willfully and don't care. So they are called sinners.
They also mock God,attempt to turn others to their way of thinking,and mislead. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. There is simply no grey area.

As for Jesus. Jesus was prophesied to be the son of God for manny years before he was even born. Jon the baptist came to make the path for the son of God BEFORE birth. So saying he was not goes against history as it's written.
Jesus was not wrongly crucified. That was part of the master plan. He died so that blood sacrifice would no longer be needed. (I hate to explain this again so I wont)

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. (Proverbs 12:15)

Take my advice abra and try to understand what you speak of.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 09:36 AM

Dictionary:

un·be·liev·er

un·be·liev·er [ùnbi lvər]
(plural un·be·liev·ers)
n
somebody who does not share beliefs: somebody who does not believe in an established religious faith or in conventional beliefs

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Exactly. And this is why the Christian bible has to be the religious bigotry of men rather than the thoughts of an all-wise God.

No genuinely all-wise God would think that way.

So these guys shot themselves in the foot with their own over-zealous religious bigotry exposing their writings to be nothing more than the egotistical ambitions of religious zealots who were out to renounce all other religions. Which, by the way, was clearly an agenda of those ancient societies, they all seemed to have the mentality of "Our God can beat up your God", or, "Our God is real, and yours isn't" whoa

This is precisely what makes these religions so obnoxious.

I knew you would have that response...
Ab, you are so...very predictable.
:laughing:

I don't think you studied very much
when you were pursuing the Christian ministry... slaphead
As I have said before...
you cut yourself short when you walked away from it...
the first time you found something you didn't understand
...you flew the coup...better yet, defected.
Now, you need to be taught what every verse means what,
but that's fine
...If you continue to challenge the bible rant
...hopefully there will be someone
who will try to break it all down for you.
I tell you, the answers are so easy...waving

I agree. Instead of calling God a liar and an evil being why don't you just say what's on your mind so someone can explain it?

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 09:25 AM

that is not the nature of every human, humans have choices and they live with the consequence of the choices they make, and often times so do those who love them

God takes a gamble on us and I am glad he feels we are worth it even if its sometimes hard for US to see it,,

This is what I'm trying to figure out, how, with the multitudes of perfect beings in the insect, animal, and plant kingdom...can you say that God feels we are worth it? What makes anyone think that God is waiting for humans and not some other living being?

See the selfish nature of humanity? We are already under the frame of mind that God is waiting for us and not something else, no offense intended of course...but it does prove my point a little.

Well ok Let open our minds just a bit and look at this from another perspective shall we?

Think back to the story of Noah and his ark of animals. It says that God saw mans evil ways and was sorry that he had created man. Were not going to talk about noah because that isnt part of the point I'm attempting to make here.
OK so God says "I'm sorry I made people" What does he do? He kills them all.

Lets look at sodom and gomorah he dint like them either and he killed them all.

The point? If God don't like ya he kills ya. Me and you are still here! He must have some reason for keeping humans alive!

Another thing, God does not love humans for what they do,or think. He loves humans for what they are. That is what makes the love unconditional!

When you go to the pet store and pick out a dog why do you choose the dog? Because you like dogs! Why not the rat or the cat or the frog? Because you like dogs. The dogs love is also unconditional it loves you because you are the leader of the pack.

Same way with God, he loves us because he likes people! Just like people like dogs.

Also on another point I read earlier. If God did not want man to have free will, don't you think he would have simply built robots? or unthinking people? After all why give humans a brain and the free will to use it! Because that's what he wanted. That's why we have the freedom to do what we want. There's even freedom to NOT beileve there is a God at all! amazing how that works out.

Okay, however, this entire thread has so far been the question of if God exists. So regardless of what story you want to tell that came from the bible there is nothing about my question that has anything to do with the bible, therefore I reject any comment that quotes a story from the bible, an excerpt, or whatever else from the bible.

I'm simply trying to figure out why people that believe in God also believe that God is watching them, waiting for them, and will take care of them no matter what...I've heard enough bible study from the missionaries, I don't care to hear any on a question that I want a simple answer to, a simple answer that I have simply not recieved yet.

Please, take no offense to this, but if I want to hear what the bible says I will read it again.

God came from the bible! Without the bible we would know NOTHING of God! Unless you count hearsay from other people.

ShiningArmour's photo
Sat 12/18/10 09:23 AM

Nevermind, I figured this question would ultimately go nowhere, and it pretty much has.

Sorry, but if I go around preaching about a tooth fairy and say "I have felt the tooth fairy" that hardly qualifies as proof that the tooth fairy exists.

Continue doing whatever the hell it was that you were doing in this thread.

If you read some of the answers in the early part of the thread I think the answer would be YES God does care.

Ultimatley it's up to you to make up your own mind. You may ask a pastor or a priest rather than a bunch of average joe's who you never met that type answers on a message board.

ShiningArmour's photo
Thu 12/16/10 11:03 AM

...and then there is the previous life
the one that we were 'living' before we were even born.
If we always have been and always will be then life never starts or ends..it just is, eternally.
Can't kill a soul...

slaphead

Heb_9:27, And as it is appointed unto men once to die,
but after this the judgment:

Mat_10:28, And fear not them which kill the body,
but are not able to kill the soul:
but rather fear him which is able to destroy
both soul and body in hell.

:thumbsup:

Tell this one to Cowboy.

Cowboy renounces the concept of Hell for humans. Yet here you have Matthew claiming that Jesus implies that humans will indeed go to hell.

There are also places in the New Testament where Jesus speaks of people being sent to hell and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So here's the problem. Which "Christianity" should we accept? Cowboy's or the New Testament's version?

Here you have your God sending people to hell again.

Perhaps we should talk about that concept in the thread on "Does God Care?"

What kind of a God sends disbelievers to hell where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Cowboy's answer is, "There is no hell for humans!"

Clearly Matthew says that Jesus disagrees with Cowboy.

Like I always say, even if Christians were able to proselytize their religion to the entire world's population, that would only be the start of the real holy wars, because then they'd start pointing fingers at each other and beating each other over the head with their own version of a rubber Jesus doll.

No two Christians can even agree on what these fables have to say.

The more quotes you post from that ancient text the more contradictions you reveal.

Now you're back to the God who hates people so much he sends them to hell. It's not enough to just let them die in peace, he needs to be sadistic about it and get some sort of revenge!

And he does this to perfectly decent and nice people simply because they didn't believe in him? slaphead

This God makes Satan look like a NICE GUY! It's no wonder that a full third of God's angels sided with Satan.

Tell this one to Cowboy.

Cowboy renounces the concept of Hell for humans. Yet here you have Matthew claiming that Jesus implies that humans will indeed go to hell.

These verses don't support hell being for humans. Notice it specifically says "kills the body and soul".

both soul and body in hell

All I renounce is eternal punishment, eternal burning, ect. This verse actually supports as I've previously said. I've said there is no eternal punishment. You either receive the gift of heaven and eternal life or cease to exist. And would you look at that, the verse specifically says "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Last time I checked destroying ment to kill something, and I think if i'm correct if something is killed it is no longer in existence. So where exactly is the contrary to what i've previously said?

Cowboy! You should know this stuff bro! If you cease to exist then there should be no crying and knashing of teeth! It also states that their worm does not die. If they cease to exist then they could not be alive!

If you want proof in the bible I can point to "Revelation chapter 20 verse 10 which states: "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Notice it says "Forever and ever" and also "Day and Night" If you your not there to get burned because you cease to exist then this verse cannot be true.
Not a big deal. As long as we follow Jesus we will see heaven, at least that's the hope. flowerforyou

Yes that is in the lake of fire. That is not hell. Lake of fire and hell are two separate places. Lake of fire is where Satan will be thrown after the second coming. And please inform us of the verses where it also states that the deceived will burn as well, for I do not know of this verse. I know there will be punishment for a little while, but no eternal punishment.

5, But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6, Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7, And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9, And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10, And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11, And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12, And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13, And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14, And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15, And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:5-15

Rev_21:8, But the fearful, and unbelieving,
and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers,
and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars,
shall have their part in the lake
which burneth with fire and brimstone:
which is the second death.

tears sad :cry::angry:

sad pitchforkgrumble

surprised shocked scared

Sounds good to me! happy

ShiningArmour's photo
Thu 12/16/10 09:03 AM

If we always have been and always will be then life never starts or ends..it just is, eternally.
Can't kill a soul...

slaphead

Tell this one to Cowboy.

There are also places in the New Testament where Jesus speaks of people being sent to hell and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So here's the problem. Which "Christianity" should we accept? Cowboy's or the New Testament's version?

What kind of a God sends disbelievers to hell where there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Like I always say, even if Christians were able to proselytize their religion to the entire world's population, that would only be the start of the real holy wars, because then they'd start pointing fingers at each other and beating each other over the head with their own version of a rubber Jesus doll.

The more quotes you post from that ancient text the more contradictions you reveal.

Now you're back to the God who hates people so much he sends them to hell. It's not enough to just let them die in peace, he needs to be sadistic about it and get some sort of revenge!

And he does this to perfectly decent and nice people simply because they didn't believe in him? slaphead

This God makes Satan look like a NICE GUY! It's no wonder that a full third of God's angels sided with Satan.

Tell this one to Cowboy.

These verses don't support hell being for humans. Notice it specifically says "kills the body and soul".

All I renounce is eternal punishment, eternal burning, ect. This verse actually supports as I've previously said. I've said there is no eternal punishment. You either receive the gift of heaven and eternal life or cease to exist. And would you look at that, the verse specifically says "fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Last time I checked destroying ment to kill something, and I think if i'm correct if something is killed it is no longer in existence. So where exactly is the contrary to what i've previously said?

Cowboy! You should know this stuff bro! If you cease to exist then there should be no crying and knashing of teeth! It also states that their worm does not die. If they cease to exist then they could not be alive!

If you want proof in the bible I can point to "Revelation chapter 20 verse 10 which states: "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Notice it says "Forever and ever" and also "Day and Night" If you your not there to get burned because you cease to exist then this verse cannot be true.
Not a big deal. As long as we follow Jesus we will see heaven, at least that's the hope. flowerforyou

Yes that is in the lake of fire. That is not hell. Lake of fire and hell are two separate places. Lake of fire is where Satan will be thrown after the second coming. And please inform us of the verses where it also states that the deceived will burn as well, for I do not know of this verse. I know there will be punishment for a little while, but no eternal punishment.

Want you to look at this verse. You have to take the wording into context and remember there is a difference in time and culture. Yes it says everlasting punishment. But then if that was eternal why would it also include but the righteous will have eternal LIFE. Last time I checked you would have to be alive to be punished. Therefore there will not be ETERNAL punishment, because they did not get ETERNAL life. The only reward for sin is death.

Matthew 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

I see what you mean. However, The people who get eternal life do not go to hell! That's why they LIVE!
Take a look at this:
"Rev 21:8 But the cowardly and unbelieving and the abominable and murders, and sexually immoral and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

Note the wording here "The second death" You die here on earth. Let's say you choose to reject God and chose to go to Hell. You would be going to "The second death" The fire which is never quenched. It says nothing about disapearing. If you disapear you could not cry or nash your teeth because you would not be there.

ShiningArmour's photo
Thu 12/16/10 07:18 AM

Can't kill a soul...

slaphead

Tell this one to Cowboy.

Tell this one to Cowboy.

ShiningArmour's photo
Thu 12/16/10 07:07 AM
Sorry I forgot to include the research I did to get to this conclusion, I went HERE
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-grace/hell-and-god.html

There is no high speed internet required because this is a website NOT a movie.

ShiningArmour's photo
Thu 12/16/10 07:05 AM

Can't kill a soul...

slaphead

Tell this one to Cowboy.

Here you ask a simple but stupid question. What happens when you put your hand on a hot stove? You get burned. What happens when you jump off a tall building? You go Splat! what happens when you can't swim and you jump into the deep end of the pool? You drowned! These are all laws of nature/God The law of gravity states that evrething is pulled down. You can say God is love all you want but you will still die. God will not save you because you willingly jumped. Jesus says "Thou shallt not tempt the lord thy God" By jumping your tempting him and he would have to go against his word to save you. God can't do that.
Same thing with puting your hand on the stove. God is love! So what? You put your hand there NOT God! You get burned.

Now take these things in mind and put them to God sending people to Hell. God has done everything he can to keep us from Hell. He died to cover sin so all we have to do is repent and the sin is forgiven,He gave us a nice book called The Bible. I like to think of this like a strategy guide for life. When you get a new video game you get the strategy guide! You use this to win! The bible is our strategy guide for life. Now there are other guides by other authors but it's up to us to choose!
Again God is love but if you Choose to reject God you will go to Hell. God din't say I don't like you so go to Hell. YOU DID by rejecting God. You put yourself there when you made the decision to reject God.
Everyone has free will and choice. You choose to drown,you choose to get burned,you choose to go splat,and you choose to go to Hell. God leaves this up to US.

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 02:46 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

Science is fact. Evolution is theory. Go to youtube and do a search for "Kent hovind" If you really want to know what your talking about.

Could we maybe end this petty dispute and agree to disagree?

No problem. I agree to disagree.

Evolution is a scientific fact, and I really don't care what "Kent Hovind" has to say. laugh

I'm educated enough in the sciences to know that evolution is a fact. If Kent Hovind disagrees with that then he's probably a religious evangelist. whoa

So yes, we can agree to disagree. That's fine with me. drinker

I'm on dial-up so I can't watch the video, but if I could view it I would point out the error of his ways as I'm sure he's presenting things incorrectly. In fact, there probably already exist videos of other people who have already pointed out the flaws in his arguments. If I had high-speed Internet here I would offer you links to the counter arguments, I'm sure they exist.

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming. To renounce it in favor of a belief in a blood-thirsty god who requires blood sacrifices before he can forgive people of their sins is simply unreasonable, IMHO.

Just offering my own personal thoughts. flowerforyou

OK Abra! Glad we can let this go. I will not go on and on but simply put my thinking in a nutshell. "your wrong and I am right"
Now the argument is over I wish you a great life and a nice day.

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 02:07 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

God demands sacrifice for sin in the old testament. He demands a perfect lamb to be sacraficed for sin.

You mean, the god in your religion fable demands this.

I personally do not believe that a truly all-wise all-powerful being would be so petty.

Therefore I reject the mythology as being utterly stupid.

It was nice arguing with you abra. It's esier than debating.

I don't "debate" honey.

I just offer my views and opinions. If you care to "argue" with them that's your problem. laugh

I'm not about to embrace ignorance and the abandonment of all that is reasonable to bow down to worship a male-chauvinistic bigoted jealous godhead who can't forgive people unless he is appeased by a blood sacrifice. slaphead

Why would I want to abandon sane thinking to plunge into a belief in such utter nonsense?

Science is proven, we're currently communicating through a media that exists because scientific knowledge is indeed proven to be true.

So there's no need to "debate" the truth of science. The truth of science is obvious. You're proving the validity of scientific knowledge as you communicate with me on these forums.

Yet, what are you suggesting to me? That I should abandon scientific knowledge in favor of worshiping a God who lusts for blood sacrifices before he can forgive people of their "sins"?

Oh please. whoa

What's to debate?

What you are suggesting isn't even reasonable, IMHO.

I can say that evolution is stupid based on your system of arguing! and I have a video to back me up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwXFBBXcS0&feature=related

Second I NEVER rejected science. I believe in science! If you put two dogs together one male of female you get pups! This is science. The computer as you said eariler is science. No this is technology. It was made by man. It is not part of the natural universe to quote wikipedia "Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the natural world."

I'm not saying you should reject science. No. Science is just common knowledge. Evolution is NOT science its a theory. I can prove science. Go by your girlfriends house have sex and make a baby. That is science! Embrace it!

I never once attempted to turn you to christianity which is a religion! You see my honesty to admit fact here. Unlike yourself.
I don't care what you believe. I'm merly stating a fact. That evolution is a belief NOT a fact.

I could say that it would be just at stupid to drop what I see as fact for something I see as total nonsense. I could also say that is stupid. Nobody is telling you to become a God fearing person. I'm only saying that evolution is folly NOT science.

Science is fact. Evolution is theory. Go to youtube and do a search for "Kent hovind" If you really want to know what your talking about.

Could we maybe end this petty dispute and agree to disagree?

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 01:35 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

No. I am not satisfied. You simply say that I am wrong and you are right. You give zero proof. You give zero websites that I can go to to back you up. You give nothing in your post to back you up. You simply state that I am wrong and that what I say is a lie.

I knew you wouldn't be satisfied about the evolution and the fact that science is not religion. But to be perfectly honest I really don't care.

I don't need to provide websites, science speaks for itself. It doesn't need my defense.

Another good point is that evolution is a THEORY and has NEVER been proven right.

No, that's yet another Christian myth.

Yes, there is a THEORY of evolution, but all the theory does is suggest how it could have happened. Since the theory was proposed, the actual evidence has become overwhelming.

To deny that evolution occurred in favor of preaching an ancient fable would be no different from ignoring the fact that there are no Gods on Mt Olympus.

Your religion requires and demands that all human scientific knowledge is false and wrong. That places you in a position to prove your mythology, all the while I'm sure you'll be using the technologies provided science in an effort to support your fables. whoa

The point I make is that there are spiritual philosophies and ideas that do not conflict with scientific knowledge.

Why should I even bother with a religious fable that requires I reject knowledge and truth? huh

What would be the point to that?

What should be my incentive for buying into your fable that has me at odds with my creator and in dire need or repentance that can only be had by condoning that God had to have his son nailed to a pole to pay for my horrible behavior?

I can't think of a single solitary reason why I would even want to place my FAITH in such an obscene idea.

So even if you were right and that science and religion were on equal footing, it would still make more sense to place my FAITH in science. At least science doesn't have me at odds with a God who has his only son nailed to a pole and demands that I CONDONE such a horrific act on my behalf. whoa

Why would I want to place FAITH in that?

That's nothing short of GROSS, IMHO. ill

This is a problem with your religion, you need to ask people to become ignorant of scientific knowledge in order to believe in a God that they are supposed at odds with and the only way they can get to his LOVE is to condone a horrible act on their behalf.

I see no love in that religion at all.

I refuse to condone having anyone nailed to any poles.

So science seems like a far better place to place "Faith" even if that were the case, which it clearly is not. Science has proven itself correct without any shadow of a doubt.

You start by saying that you simply don't care and blindly put your faith in your religion. You say you don't need to defend it. And you go on to say that evidence for it is overwhelming. Are we supposed to take your word for it? I see no proof that you are a scientist nor are you Jesus or any other god or goddess.
So there is no proof for what you say. There is no backup there. You just say you are right and I am not. Which makes this debate OVER. Glad to say. flowerforyou

Jesus said that "There is no greater love than a man lay down his life for his friends" Jesus died for us. That alone is the greatest love.

God demands sacrifice for sin in the old testament. He demands a perfect lamb to be sacraficed for sin.

Jesus is the most perfect being which is why he died for sin. Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice! His blood covers all the sin you could do.

Now all men and women have free will. If you don't want to beleve in my God that's fine. God allows man to gather evidence against him. But the evidence is never proven. He also lets us get evidence for him. Also never proven. The debate for this is called "The great debate"

Before evolution there was spontaneus generation evolution will have it's end just as zeus and hera and santa had theirs. Then people will fall for another better thought out myth. History shows that it repeats itself, so evolution like those theories that came before it will end.

It was nice arguing with you abra. It's esier than debating.

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 12:38 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

What you call scientific knowledge can be called religious by itself.

No ShiningArmour that isn't true. That's a LIE that is perpetrated by Christian proselytizers. Christians will gladly lie to support their religion, unfortunately.

Science is firmly based on observation, evidence, and independent verification from other sciences who are actually out to prove the previous scientists WRONG. No scientist would love anything more than to prove other scientists WRONG. That will ultimately get you a Nobel Prize and instant fame and recogniztion throughout the world.

Christians not only attempt to show why they Bible could be wrong, but they give support to each other for the lamest of exuses and non-explanations.

No, science and religion are not on equal footing, that is a LIE that is perpetrated by religious zealots who refuse to even remotely consider that they mythology they worship as the "Word of God" might actually be false.

If I ask does zues care and you say there is no zeus well you never told me even in theory if he cared! You could say well according to these stories yes he cares or no he does not.

My point being take the debate to a debate thread. Dont ruin this one with nonsense.

My post concerning the fact that the biblical myths have no more merit than the fables of Zeus were in direct response to another posters comment and thus are quite fitting in this thread.

If you'd like me to comment on whether or not the Biblical God cares about anyone other than himself my answer would be no. He's a self-confessed jealous God who, according to the mythology, hates everyone who doesn't like HIM. whoa

If he were human we'd say that he's the most arrogant egotistical pig we ever met.

There's no room in the Biblical mythology for freedom of persona, you either agree with what the Hebrews say, or you're condemned as being a heathen whom God hates.

That's my opinion on the biblical mythology.

If the religion were true, it would have nothing to offer me.

My answers to this so-called jealous male-chauvinistic egotistical godhead would be the following:

1. No, I don't condone you having Jesus nailed to a pole to pay for my "sins".

2. No, I don't agree with all you concepts of what a "sin" should even be.

3. Yes, you may kill me at your whim, because I have absolutely no desire to serve you for eternity, nor do I love you, I personally think you're a jerk and an idiot.

So, even if the religion were true it would do me no good at all. I have no desire to worship an egotistical male-chauvinistic God for the rest of eternity, atheism would be a far better picture, IMHO.

Thankfully, there are far better pictures of spirituality that don't rely on mythology, and that actually are compatible with scientific knowledge.

The Eastern Mystical philosophy is certainly one of them. And I've already stated in this thread that the Eastern Mystical picture of a God is indeed a picture of a God who cares.

It's just that most people don't understand that picture is all. Everyone is too busy arguing atheism versus Zeus, or I mean, atheism versus Christianity. And the Christians like to keep it that way because they don't want to have to compete with other potential pictures of "god".

They prefer to keep everything very simple-minded. Either Christianity is true, or atheism is true, let's keep it simple. whoa

But the fact of the matter there are far wiser and more profound pictures of spirituality to be had. flowerforyou

So, yes, my answer to THIS TOPIC is as follows:

Yes, God cares.

And No, the ancient Hebrew fables do not represent "God" any more than the ancient Greek fables did.

Satisfied now?

About the second part of your argument the one about zeus/God
It's true what you say. He wants his creation to worship him. But God does not Hate. The good book says "God is love" Please don't make yourself sound stupid.

Now on to what you think of God. You don't condone being nailed to a cross,you don't agree with the concept of sin (It says anything that is not right in the sight of God is sin) ,and you say he can kill you at his will. (Even though one of the commandments is don't kill and God would have to go against that, his own command to kill you) Let me say that none of what you think matters because you are not in charge here. God is.
If you are going to talk about God then get it right.

Lastly the bible is where man get's the idea of God in the first place. That's where the teaching comes from. If there was no bible then it would be harder to pass down the teachings.
That's why christans are sometimes called bible thumpers. Because that's where the teachings are. That's what I believe. What I believe needs no changing because it's already finished and correct. Evolution needs lots of fixing because its a theory and is imperfect in itself. It constantly changes.

happy

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 12:21 PM

ShiningArmour wrote:

What you call scientific knowledge can be called religious by itself.

No ShiningArmour that isn't true. That's a LIE that is perpetrated by Christian proselytizers. Christians will gladly lie to support their religion, unfortunately.

Science is firmly based on observation, evidence, and independent verification from other sciences who are actually out to prove the previous scientists WRONG. No scientist would love anything more than to prove other scientists WRONG. That will ultimately get you a Nobel Prize and instant fame and recogniztion throughout the world.

Christians not only attempt to show why they Bible could be wrong, but they give support to each other for the lamest of exuses and non-explanations.

No, science and religion are not on equal footing, that is a LIE that is perpetrated by religious zealots who refuse to even remotely consider that they mythology they worship as the "Word of God" might actually be false.

If I ask does zues care and you say there is no zeus well you never told me even in theory if he cared! You could say well according to these stories yes he cares or no he does not.

My point being take the debate to a debate thread. Dont ruin this one with nonsense.

My post concerning the fact that the biblical myths have no more merit than the fables of Zeus were in direct response to another posters comment and thus are quite fitting in this thread.

If you'd like me to comment on whether or not the Biblical God cares about anyone other than himself my answer would be no. He's a self-confessed jealous God who, according to the mythology, hates everyone who doesn't like HIM. whoa

If he were human we'd say that he's the most arrogant egotistical pig we ever met.

There's no room in the Biblical mythology for freedom of persona, you either agree with what the Hebrews say, or you're condemned as being a heathen whom God hates.

That's my opinion on the biblical mythology.

If the religion were true, it would have nothing to offer me.

My answers to this so-called jealous male-chauvinistic egotistical godhead would be the following:

1. No, I don't condone you having Jesus nailed to a pole to pay for my "sins".

2. No, I don't agree with all you concepts of what a "sin" should even be.

3. Yes, you may kill me at your whim, because I have absolutely no desire to serve you for eternity, nor do I love you, I personally think you're a jerk and an idiot.

So, even if the religion were true it would do me no good at all. I have no desire to worship an egotistical male-chauvinistic God for the rest of eternity, atheism would be a far better picture, IMHO.

Thankfully, there are far better pictures of spirituality that don't rely on mythology, and that actually are compatible with scientific knowledge.

The Eastern Mystical philosophy is certainly one of them. And I've already stated in this thread that the Eastern Mystical picture of a God is indeed a picture of a God who cares.

It's just that most people don't understand that picture is all. Everyone is too busy arguing atheism versus Zeus, or I mean, atheism versus Christianity. And the Christians like to keep it that way because they don't want to have to compete with other potential pictures of "god".

They prefer to keep everything very simple-minded. Either Christianity is true, or atheism is true, let's keep it simple. whoa

But the fact of the matter there are far wiser and more profound pictures of spirituality to be had. flowerforyou

So, yes, my answer to THIS TOPIC is as follows:

Yes, God cares.

And No, the ancient Hebrew fables do not represent "God" any more than the ancient Greek fables did.

Satisfied now?

“…evolution is the backbone of biology and biology is thus in the peculiar position of being a science founded on unproven theory. Is it then a science or a faith? Belief in the theory of evolution is thus exactly parallel to belief in special creation. Both are concepts which the believers know to be true, but neither, up to the present, has been capable of proof.” L.H. Matthews, "Introduction to Origin of the Species, by Charles Darwin (1971 edition), pp. x, xi.

There is a quote from the origin of species! The bible that modern atheists get their stuff from! It states neither can be proved! Once again stating that evolution is a belief NOT a fact.

No. I am not satisfied. You simply say that I am wrong and you are right. You give zero proof. You give zero websites that I can go to to back you up. You give nothing in your post to back you up. You simply state that I am wrong and that what I say is a lie.

Did you know there is enough information in a single cell to fill one thousand encyclopedias? Cells are very complex machines. To say that these machines number one came to life,happened by sheer chance and evolved requires a lot of faith in "Statistical improbability" as stated here
http://www.nwcreation.net/evolutionism.html

Another good point is that evolution is a THEORY and has NEVER been proven right.

I can point cave man and note the bone structure is different because back in those days people lived for hundreds of years they're skulls would have grown more as stated in the video I linked in my previous post.

So in closing unless you have a time machine and can go back and see evolution happening you can't prove it. which is why it its a theory, a belief, I will admit there is a chance that I may very well be mistaken! But I will also admit the same is true for you. I believe in science because I see it with my eyes.
I see it when I look out the window or drive my car around.

I have NEVER seen anything or anyone evolve and never will. Animals produce after their own kind. The DNA (Also information) will always be copied.
If have a child the DNA will say human NOT monkey or fish or swan or God knows what else. (Also in the video)

I have presented proof to back up my claims. Whereas you have nothing.

Good day sir!

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 09:39 AM

Ok may I ask how that is God's fault? Those people born in that type of environment could very well leave. If they did, the next generation of them would not have to deal with that. If people were to clean these areas up and cleanse the land if you will, these diseases would eventually cease to exist. These places are stricken with disease because of people's actions. Why should God be responsible for things people here on earth have done to it?

You can't blame God for people's use of free will. You ask specifically *why are millions of people born into a tragic fate?*

How in anyway is it God's fault the children were born into a country with disease, end up starving, or any other tragic thing? Would it not be the parents fault for having their children in such an environment? That is if you wish to put some form of blame on someone. Yes this planet has diseases, hunger, and other tragic things. But if it didn't wouldn't this be just like heaven? If this was just like heaven why would heaven be seen as such a great place for you're already living in a paradise what would there be to gain?

I'm glad you asked this, more often than not when I present this question this is the answer I'm given "how is it God's fault."

And I present you with a different perspective, how is it that you are able to let your God slide knowing that there are millions born into poverty? How do we have to account for every tragedy we have caused and yet God is able to slide by with not so much as a question to its choice or choices?

Whenever I'm asked how it is God's fault I'm left thinking how is it not God's fault, if there is indeed a God, how is it left off the hook for such tragic existences being played out in the world? This is the logic that to this day has kept me from believing wholeheartedly in a God, because in my mind it is a flawed logic to simply wash such a beings hand's of any responsibility. That's kind of like saying it is okay to kill as long as they were going to die anyway, well, at least then it isn't our fault, correct?

Jesus said:

"For ye have the poor always with you;
but me ye have not always."
Mat_26:11

Then Jesus beholding him loved him,:heart:
and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way,
sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor,
and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come,
take up the cross, and follow me.
Mar_10:21,

+:angel: +:angel: +:angel: +:angel: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++:angel:

If we are concerned with the poor
we should do what we can to relieve it.:heart:
When catastrophies occur, these are opportunities
to show what we are made of. :heart:
Don't just talk about itgrumble rant frown grumble and point fingers,
not at God.

Nicely put drinker

ShiningArmour's photo
Wed 12/15/10 08:31 AM

Besides that this isn't a evolution based thread! frustrated
I was attempting to answer a question. If you want to debate evolution your posting to wrong guy. I have'nt done enough research to know enough about evolution

Sorry, being well educated in the sciences I wasn't aware that people were still 'debating' these things. whoa

There's no debate within the scientific community. I think the only people who are still holding out hope that science is wrong are the religious zealots who realize that if they accept the facts of life they'll have to abandon the stance that their ancient Zeus-like mythology can't possibly be true anymore than Greek Mythology was.

Reject scientific knowledge! Save a mythology! :banana:

I get it. bigsmile

What you call scientific knowledge can be called religious by itself. Anything you can't see requires some degree of faith (Things believed but not seen) If you put two dogs together one female one male you get pups that is science because I can see it.
If you take nothing then suddenly get space,time,chemicals,water,and a giant explosion which needed the space to explode into and the time to explode not to mention the time to evolve and form planets and bring rocks to life. You can say all that took place yes! But it takes faith to believe. More faith than a christian needs to believe his/her side.

You see these are both religious because they both require some degree of faith. Mine simply takes less.

Now this debate can go on and on and on. as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMpk7WerFWw

If you want to debate evolution vs creation, then might I suggest take your mythology vs mine to another thread. THIS thread is about answering the question of GOD and does he care! I say yes he does. YOU say there is no God. I'm sorry but that does not answer the question.

1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 Next