Community > Posts By > Luca

no photo
Sun 03/14/21 01:16 PM

He tells me he is mars rover and my body is mars .(Hypothetical)

Should I be annoyed that his brain is thinking about science , astronomy and technology rofl rofl rofl

You can never really tell what someone is thinking .. although there may be subtle clues lol ... How important is it that you are the focus of someone’s imagination during passionate moments ?

I wonder if on Mars he would say "oh look Blondey's boobs!" staring at Olympus Mons...

no photo
Sun 03/14/21 12:56 PM

waving

Bella Bella Bellissima!

no photo
Sun 03/14/21 10:35 AM
So are you all saying that smashing a chair in his/her face is not a good option??

no photo
Sat 03/13/21 10:24 AM

Here we could open a debate on the difference between rock and rock & roll. I agree 100% Freddie Mercury is not rock & roll, but in my opinion he's absolutely rock.
Some may say that rock and rock & roll are the same thing, sorry, I disagree. Of course the origin of rock is rock & roll, but it's like saying rock & roll is the same thing as blues because it originates from it, or at that point why not soul!
So, to me rock & roll is the Elvis Presley kind, rockabilly etc. Of course some groups cross over the two, in some cases even Beatles did, though in general I consider them pop, even though they certainly made some (or even more than some) rock songs. Rolling Stones in general I consider rock. Queen certainly not rock & roll but somewhere between rock and pop. and then we have the Hard Rock and heavy metal stuff. Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC / DC, Muse, Five Finger Death Punch. So my comparison was on the rock (as conceived above, not interested in Elvis Presley and such as they would be too different in style from the 3 I quoted). But despite what I said above, I do not want to open a debate on what is rock, that could be the subject of another thread. For this thread, let's assume that my definition is valid. Given the definition above, which one is the best rock voice among the 3 quoted? No need to copy paste lists of good singers. If you want just quote some ROCK singers, that in your opinion are definetely better than those 3.
For instance I love Michael Hutchence voice (INXS), and would put him just one little step below them. I hope I have clarified the meaning of the post.

Rock & Roll is the root of the genre. It defines the style of other rock & roll sub-genres. Rock & roll is a style of swing, ragtime and boogie woogie. It roots in chants and tribal rhythms for war and celebration. Even war march rhythms and cadence beats.

Blues is the root of the genre. It defines the style of other blues sub-genres. Blues originated as vocalizations.

The Ballad is the root of the genre. It defines the style of other ballad sub-genres.

In music, genres are mixed to create new sub-genres.

Poetry is the root of songs. Storytelling is the root of ballads.
Symphony (the playing of multiple instruments as a composition) is the root of music.

If you think about it, all rhythmic 'music' originates from a mother's heartbeat. We find comfort in rhythm because we are a species which nurse and cuddle their young. We produce rhythmic sounds to mimic that comforting sound from when we were safe in the womb and nursed by our mother. Its soothing to listen to your lover's heartbeat.

Someone should do a behavioral study on rhythmic sensitivity in different species of animals. I'll bet only animals who are nursed and cuddled have an ear for rhythms.

I read artist profiles. Many heavy metal and hard rock artists get their inspiration from artists which they listened to. If you follow that 'influence tree' back to its roots, you would be surprised where the artist gained their inspiration. Since many originating artists are dead, there's no way to know who the inspiration for their music came from.

Elvis' musical influences were the pop and country music of the time, the gospel music he heard in church and at the all-night gospel sings he frequently attended, and the black R&B he absorbed on historic Beale Street as a Memphis teenager. Since no specific artist is mentioned, the historical influence trail has been broken. But many people were inspired by Elvis Presley. Many people were inspired by The Beatles. I'm certain, if that line of progression were fully known, much of the music heard today, no matter the genre would originate in far different genres than the one the artist chose. This is because each artist adds their own unique creativity to find their own expression.

No modern music is the pristine example of a genre.
When considering this, genre distinction is not as important as many make it out to be. A certain flexibility is normal.
Many of the examples you give, I consider rock & roll. Some, I consider hard rock where others I consider as heavy metal. But its all rock & roll.

Please note where I wrote "despite what I said at the top, I don't want to open a debate" let's that be the subject of another thread :smile:

no photo
Sat 03/13/21 08:40 AM

For the original post, Freddie Mercury certainly has, what I consider, the most technical voice. He’s great. But I do prefer a voice like Vedders, so suitable to their music.

Thank you for not mentioning Cobain, so overrated.

But, my ultimate favorite rock voice is Chris Cornell. r.i.p.

Chris Cornell :thumbsup:
While we're throwing dead people in there.... Scott Weiland not too shabby either

Chris Cornell I understand... deserves a top position
Cobain would not be in my top 100 as rock voice... and I do like Nirvana!

no photo
Sat 03/13/21 02:46 AM
Here we could open a debate on the difference between rock and rock & roll. I agree 100% Freddie Mercury is not rock & roll, but in my opinion he's absolutely rock.
Some may say that rock and rock & roll are the same thing, sorry, I disagree. Of course the origin of rock is rock & roll, but it's like saying rock & roll is the same thing as blues because it originates from it, or at that point why not soul!
So, to me rock & roll is the Elvis Presley kind, rockabilly etc. Of course some groups cross over the two, in some cases even Beatles did, though in general I consider them pop, even though they certainly made some (or even more than some) rock songs. Rolling Stones in general I consider rock. Queen certainly not rock & roll but somewhere between rock and pop. and then we have the Hard Rock and heavy metal stuff. Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC / DC, Muse, Five Finger Death Punch. So my comparison was on the rock (as conceived above, not interested in Elvis Presley and such as they would be too different in style from the 3 I quoted). But despite what I said above, I do not want to open a debate on what is rock, that could be the subject of another thread. For this thread, let's assume that my definition is valid. Given the definition above, which one is the best rock voice among the 3 quoted? No need to copy paste lists of good singers. If you want just quote some ROCK singers, that in your opinion are definetely better than those 3.
For instance I love Michael Hutchence voice (INXS), and would put him just one little step below them. I hope I have clarified the meaning of the post.

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 02:43 PM
I have to agree with some on Geez list of course:
Ozzie Osborne
Joe Strummer
Steven Tyler
Ian Anderson
Mick Jagger
Although not at the same level as the 3 I proposed (of course personal opinion) I do like them a lot, just one step below.

I disagree with some others:

Tom Petty
Elvis Costello
Paul McCartney
Axl Rose

not my kind of rock and not my fav...
Elvis Presley
that's what I mean... you can't really compare Elvis Presley (rock and Roll) with Something like Five Finger Death Punch! They are too far even though we can say they're both rock. They belong to different styles and times, too far!

don't know where to put him
David Bowie
for as much as I like his music, as rock voice is far from my top list

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 02:24 PM
Exploring some of the links proposed:
- Nightwish: I heard them before but never made it up my list, just not impressed neither by their music nor by the voice. I find both rather common.

-Tony Joe White, great voice and love music too... more blues than rock though, would have fit perfectly in The Blues Brother. Great but not suitable for a comparison in the rock voice category. (I do love blues!)

- Michael Stanley, sorry no. Don't like the voice nor the music. It's not maybe what would make me change station if I hear it on the radio, but will tolerate it hoping in the next song.

-Cee Cee James. Yes, that's the kind of voice I like and the music too, although I'm at present more towards the metal side of rock then that of rock & roll / blues. Would not make it the top of my list but it's something I wish to know better for sure.

-Steelheart: that's a perfect example of what would make me change station! I had to stop the video at the second "Angelaaaa". Didn't dare whatching the second video proposed. :-) (I know I'm a bit extrem, please don't take it personally)

-Bob Seger... (From Geez list) I remember him from the 80s... vaguely... yes, I have to agree, absolutely great voice... I pick one song at random, Turn the Page, don't know if is one you like but will have to deepen my knowledge on him, absolutely great. It must have been 20 years I did not even hear his name! Shame! Not really the music I listen to today but what is good is good!

-Within Temptation: not impressed again, sorry.
-Epica: I like the gothic side, the singer is good, but she reminds me of Amy Lee, except Amy Lee is some miles above her in the list! (and meybe we should add amy lee to the list)

-Xandria: ok you like Gothic, it's clear. Same as Epica. But yes, can't deny she's good.

-Theatre of Tragedy: I agree, with the name of the band (sorry, kidding but I guess we have different taste)

-Tezaura: are these bands made with carbon copy??
-Arch Enemy: I don't like growls. Many do, I don't, not even in heavy metal.
-Carol King: ok we all know that song, nice, good... but rock??
-Diana Ross: same as above, it's not what I consider rock
-Beth Hard: can't say she's not good. Won't change station. Well, maybe I go search for more stuff from her, yes she's good. and she made me remember beth ditto! Another great female voice. just for the name Beth... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQVljB7JGw

-Nancy Sinatra: Ok very well known song, I love it. But not what I call a rock voice. Or maybe yes but not in my top 50.

-Fleetwood Mac: I'll skip this link, never liked them too much
-Olivia Millerschin: the voice is very nice. Not sure she qualifies as rock voice. Probably will listen to some more.

-Orenda Fink: yes, absolutely great voice.
-Ruelle: yes ok, nice voice, but boring and not really rock. Ok for a couple of songs maybe but after that I would start crying in depression!
-Katelyn Tarver: nothing special and boring.
-Sarah McLachlan: same as above

Various other rock voices you made me remember and that I love:
-Amy Lee (Evanecence)
-Tim Lindemann (Rammstein)
-Janis Joplin
-Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries)
-Ivan Moody (is that the name?Five Finger Death Punch) among my top for recent bands

probably this last I mention can explain our different views, but again, difference enrich us, are not a limitation.
Thanks for comments and suggestions, some I will explore more, some I could tell from 3 notes that don't fit my taste.

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 01:02 PM
It's ok I accept all opinions, even though I find it a bit hard to believe that someone can actually prefer John Lennon's voice (as Rock voice) compared to the 3 I proposed. And the way I see it there is nothing rock in John Lennon's voice, absolute zero, not even remotely comparable to Freddie Mercury's rock (not rock & roll) voice.
But it's nice to compare each other's view, we do not have necessarily to agree ... I know there are at least hundreds of great rock voices, how can one disagree when you mention Led Zeppelin??? Or should we forget Janis Joplin (I remember someone saying women can't do rock... go tell her!!!) I even love the voice of Greta Van Fleet to talk about more recent stuff, or can we really forget Serji Tankian??? so many... I'm not even saying those 3 are my absolute favourite, they are just 3 voices that I discovered in different times and that I like a lot, my taste changes a lot though, today I no longer like stuff I liked 20-30 years ago and the 1st time I heard System of a Down I just did not like it, now they are among those I love more.
But really, I appreciate your comments even though I don't know many artists you mentioned (will check them out) or disagree with some.
thanks

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 11:29 AM
I'll have a look, but you were supposed to choose among those 3 :-)

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 10:17 AM
... between:

1) Freddie Mercury (Queen)
2) Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
3) Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

I find it very hard to make up my mind, and probably there is no reason to choose, but it's a forum, whe have to talk about something

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 06:05 AM

I think this come from tens of years asking the man to be more involved, reaching the point where maybe now he's too involved.
I agree that pregnancy is a woman's thing, 100%. On the other hand, it depends on the couple, if they feel closer by considering both of them pregnant, it's fine... not the way I would see it but up to them.
But please do not consider man's role a 5 minutes job, that is rather offensive ... If my wife said anything like that I would reply 'ok, now my task is over, goodbye!" (no I wouldn't, but still...)

The man's role is of being supportive. And I think much around pregnancy and child birth is a bit alien and also tough on a guy.
They can see it, and that's pretty much it.

being supportive and go buy strawberries at impossible times and places is a lot more than a 5 minutes job though. I guess you did not mean it literally but it's a very common expression and it's rather offensive. I'm sure it was not your intention to offend 3.5 billions of people, but It's just like when people say that women can't drive... don't fall in the same mistakes men have made for centuries, be better than us...

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 02:51 AM
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
DNA The hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 02:42 AM
I think this come from tens of years asking the man to be more involved, reaching the point where maybe now he's too involved.
I agree that pregnancy is a woman's thing, 100%. On the other hand, it depends on the couple, if they feel closer by considering both of them pregnant, it's fine... not the way I would see it but up to them.
But please do not consider man's role a 5 minutes job, that is rather offensive ... If my wife said anything like that I would reply 'ok, now my task is over, goodbye!" (no I wouldn't, but still...)

no photo
Thu 03/11/21 12:45 AM
I prefer that to couples having a common account on facebook

no photo
Wed 03/10/21 06:15 AM
that's one more reason to have a free education system like in many countries. I find it horrible that in some places for university one has to pay tens of thousand of dollars / euros / pounds

no photo
Wed 03/10/21 03:57 AM

A warning to others: this person is taken, hands off!

Bonjour !!!!!!!! Nice to see your Comments here with a Note of Abbreviation .
Thanking you with my Great Appreciation !

I love your posts, but I tend to think that the wedding ring is round basically because fingers have a round section. Maybe I'm simplyfing a bit?

P.S. as you greeted me with Bonjour, are you aware that in French there is the word "blessé" that despite the similarity has a different meaning from "blessed"? It means hurt. So it sounds like a sign of the pain one caused to his/her spouse. In some cases it's true. Probably nobody cares, I just find it funny, but that's because I'm a languages nerd.

Dunno how you got there, hihi, but it is a word in Dutch too, blesseer - hurt/wounded.

same root I guess

no photo
Wed 03/10/21 03:20 AM
Edited by Luca on Wed 03/10/21 03:30 AM

A warning to others: this person is taken, hands off!

Bonjour !!!!!!!! Nice to see your Comments here with a Note of Abbreviation .
Thanking you with my Great Appreciation !

I love your posts, but I tend to think that the wedding ring is round basically because fingers have a round section. Maybe I'm simplyfing a bit?

P.S. as you greeted me with Bonjour, are you aware that in French there is the word "blessé" that despite the similarity has a different meaning from "blessed"? It means hurt. So it sounds like a sign of the pain one caused to his/her spouse. In some cases it's true. Probably nobody cares, I just find it funny, but that's because I'm a languages nerd.

no photo
Wed 03/10/21 03:11 AM
Although I do not have any moral objections to 'safe and voluntary' prostitution, I find it rather immoral to conceive it as a way of reducing sexual crimes. We can't just say this guy is a brute, let's give him sex or he'll take it anyway. If he's a brute he should be taught to restrain from violence. We are supposed to be an evoluted species, the fact that biology gave a greater sex drive to men compared to women is no excuse. I Don't mean to criticize other people views, I respect them fully, just want to propose an alternative view. But still, all in all, I am in favour of male and female prostitution, homo and / or ethero / bi. Provided it's fully voluntary, not forced by anyone nor by economic conditions but as a free choice. And of course with good health monitoring.

no photo
Wed 03/10/21 02:17 AM
Well I guess we have to make a distinction between any legal market and its corrensponding illegal implementation.
In an ideal world (is a world really ideal without space for illegal? not sure! but that could be another topic) without crime, should prostitution be allowed or not? Would it be moral to use such services? This is of course assuming they are provided on a voluntary basis and in a safe way. Same could apply to spirits, drugs, speed limits... you name it

Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12