Community > Posts By > Scinn

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 11:17 AM
I have a theory on looks...: When we're all 60 years old we'll look the same. Over weight, covered in wrinkles, gray hair, the works. So...when I'm 60, I want to know that I can still stand to look at the man I married, can still have a good time with him, that he still makes me laugh, still makes me happy and that I do the same the for him. Looks fade and do not fully define who a person is, except that...those who are considered "unattractive" or "unpopular" as kids and teenagers tend to be sweeter, more earthbound, nicer and more caring than those who were at the top of the high school food chain.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:59 AM
I remember the Floods of '93....I was, uhm...11 or so at the time...but we ended up pretty much trapped in our city. Was rough! My heart goes out to them, from one who's lived it to those who are currently living it.

Tell yah what...send some of your water to us down here in Alabama and Georgia...we'll gladly take some of it and then everyone will be happy! No more floods for yah'll and no more drought for us.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:36 AM

Do I have to vote? lol I don't like any of the choices...though...I think etrain is onto something there!

yup...at least with manson you know what your getting...I wouldn't trust the others

lol exactly! And yes...you know I know I want to laugh laugh laugh laugh accepted :P

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:30 AM
Do I have to vote? lol I don't like any of the choices...though...I think etrain is onto something there!

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:10 AM
Edited by Scinn on Thu 06/12/08 10:12 AM

Yes but I never have much of interest to say anyway it's ok :)

Aaw, we'll I'll have to fix my filter...and I'd beg to differ...but that's just me. I think everyone has something interesting to say, you've just got to find a topic that strikes their mind and heart. happy

And there...filter has been fixed :tongue:

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:08 AM
Edited by Scinn on Thu 06/12/08 10:09 AM

You seem to have taken an argumentative tone. I was explaining my point, not accusing you of anything. Points 2, 3 and 4 all start with you being defensive as if I accused you of something. I was simply making my point, I wasn't putting words in your mouth.

nono, wasn't being arguementative at all :smile: Was just making sure that there wasn't any misunderstanding and that you knew I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth :smile: Darn text, doesn't allow much for expression and voice tones lol But I was just making sure that people knew I wasn't trying to say anything about the Christian religion, was just comparing how we view Ancient Egyptian beliefs today and how in the future other religions (Christianity, as that was the specific brought up..but really it goes all around) will be viewed by the same terms. A facination to capture the emotions and minds of future scholars...but a "mythilogical" religion by that point in time.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 10:05 AM

Erm...the other thread two questions he brought some up after claiming non existed and then instantly denounced them while still claiming no others exist...Second time he did this I believe.

Wait...what? Yah lost me dear...what other thread? A thread I was on or a different one?

This thread was started in parrallel to Two questions for Christians in which he denounced all texts not contained in the bible as invalid. At first he seemed to think non existed because no historians outside of the bible existed and then recanted saying that some existed but were discounted as contradictory and thus inaccurate.

tried to email you to tell you to leave the G of J and the G of M out of this to avoid causing a heart attack.

Aah...yeah, I had missed that thread somehow. I'll have to hunt it up and take a look at it :) And did my filter catch you? I thought I had fixed it, but maybe not. :P I'll have to take a look. And originally I had...my first post to this (without flipping over to go read it verbatum) had said something about meh from space coming 1,000 years from now and finding a dead planet to which everything would be lore. lmao

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:58 AM
Edited by Scinn on Thu 06/12/08 09:59 AM

Erm...the other thread two questions he brought some up after claiming non existed and then instantly denounced them while still claiming no others exist...Second time he did this I believe.

Wait...what? Yah lost me dear...what other thread? A thread I was on or a different one?

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:51 AM

1) Please quote a couple fullfilled Eqyptian prophecies. If they weren't fullfilled, then how do those prophecies support Eqyptian beliefs?

2) Christian history contains a lot of detail, mixed in with their religon. Hindus and Muslims have the same, but their texts mention cities and rulers and people that never existed (as far as archeology can prove), but Christianity has continually been supported by history. One example is that historians didn't believe that crucifixion was done as described in the Bible, until a heel bone was found with a spike through it. This proved that crucifixion was done, but they still doubted it was as common as the Bible implied, since only one example had been found. This mystery is solved by the Talmud, which described a practice where Jews and Romans alike would take the spikes from the hands and feet of the crucified to use as magic talismans.

3) Christianity has a unique history of martyrs. Thousands of Christians went to their death in the arenas of Rome rather than kneel before Ceasar. Christians in many parts of the world are killed for their beliefs to this day. Ex-muslims risk death daily by converting from Islam to Christianity. Christians aren't just believers, they are remarkably willing to die for their beliefs.

4) There is no evidence of the alterations you speak of. The Bible isn't written on stone, it never was. The fact that 24,000 copies exist of the New Testament, when it is written on fragile material is a testament to the sheer number of documents which must have been in circulation.

1. There was the Prophecy of Neferty, but, like any prophecies...they are fully subject to interpretation. Take Nostradamus for example...several of his prophecies could be for several different things, it's based upon interpretation. So, by those standings...prophets from Ancient Egypt could say something and it be used for interpretation by the King.

2. I didn't say that the entire history couldn't be proven or wasn't based in fact, just saying that the Ancient Egyptians have more that can be seen today than Christianity will have 1-2,000 years from now. Speaking more along their pyramids, the sphynx's, remaining buildings, written original texts..etc. As we're speaking of the original question "will today's religions be myth 1000 or more years from now, like we view the religions from ancient civilizations". I was saying that they were just as supported by history as Christianity is, and they still eventually died out and became myth.

3. Again, wasn't saying Christians are not dedicated to their beliefs, was just saying that the Ancient Egyptians were just as dedicated, if not more-so...as their religion dictated every aspect of their lives. Christianity (and some other religions) allow for their followers to break from the mainstream and live their own life. It's not dictated to them and does not control each movement they make. Again...was simply pointing out the similarities between the religions...not saying that Christians are not devote to their faith.

4. I didn't say it was written in stone, but there have been several controversial articles written proclaiming documentation that was never put into the bible that should have been, that was removed by Priests aages ago because it was considered inaccurate. Those documents have since been found missing or still not included in an updated version of the bible or otherwise. The articles I'm making reference to were written about the same time that the Da Vinci Code came out and if you'll give me a moment I'll try to find which magazine I had read them from and provide a link. But again...I was not trying to say anything about Christianity, merely pointing out the similarities and differences between the religions, and using Ancient Egypt documents as example to provide quantity and age, pointing out that the original originals are still available for public viewing...and showing that this civilization's religion still ended up becoming myth and that it is likely (given 1-2,000 years) the same will happen with Christianity and other religions by that point in time.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 09:17 AM

1) Christianity is supported by prophecy.
2) Christianity (and Judaism) is supported by History.
3) Christian believers are usually dedicated to their beliefs.
4) Christianity has a very unusual history of documentation. In terms of the number of existing historical documents, we have more proof that Jesus lived than we do of anyone born before the invention of the printing press. There are close to 100,000 copies of the New Testament, some books dating back to 70 AD. With the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the accuracy of the Old Testament was proved to be unparalleled. A document of that size with hudreds of years seperating the copies and only a few errors were discovered. None of the errors even changed the meanings of the verses.

However, the same could be said for other religions, such as the Ancient Egyptians.

(In reference to your numbered order :smile: )
1. Ancient Egyptians had prophets and prophecies as well, which..in modern-day Christianity, there are no more prophets, unless looking at the Mormon branch of Christianity - in which case they do believe in a Prophet and that he is the mouth of god.

2.Ancient Egyptians are also supported through history, and have a more "scientific" leg to stand on, as much of their culture is still standing, touchable and preserved. Original writings and documentations available to be seen firsthand and read. For Christianity, it can not be proven (such as it can with Egyptian kings and queens, who were considered almost god-like in their stature, hence the pyramids and such to their honor) that Jesus actually lived, aside from the bible. Hence the reason many people have a hard time following the religion (for those wanting scientific proof). As to the religion and deities of the Egyptian gods and goddesses, no...they can't prove that they exist/ed, however we're looking at this from an angle of "1000 years or more from now" and simply comparing the "then civilization" to the "current ancient civilization" and on those terms...no religion can provide "unequivicable proof" that their deity is real. And on those basis...I believe that there is more proveable history for the Egyptians than there will be for Christianity.

3. The Ancient Egyptians were dedicated to their beliefs as well, and in fact, their religion WAS their state and way of life. Religion dictated every movement they made, how they lived, what they did...everything. Now that religion varied King to King, Queen to Queen as they implimented their own personal beliefs into the current beliefs of the time...but, in manner of how they lived...their religion by far played a much more direct role in their daily lives and etc than Christianity does with it's followers.

4. Ancient Egyptians also had a very unusual history of documentation, however...the originals are still intact and readable. Christian documentation has been altered and originals missing, destroyed or shrouded in secrecy to the point that the true existence of the documents could be questioned. And the Egyptian documents date back by 3-6,000 years ago, well before the B.C./A.D. timeline was implemented and used.

The reign of the Ancient Egyptian religious ruling was almost 3,000 years. Based upon that information and given the similarities in culture and etc...it could be said that 1000 years from now will see the end of Christianity as a mainframe religion and 1000 years from then would see Christianity as we see Ancient Egyptians today. Argueably an extreme influence on the people of the time, but outdated and turned into myth and bedtime stories.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:42 AM

Okay so the Ancient Greeks followed Zues and the Romans Jupiter.
We see their RELIGION as myth. So in 1000 years or more will our religion be myth?

This is absolutely bizarre!!! I was just looking up Zeus this morning, no kidding. It's still up on my Windows!!

You have an extremely good poser there. Don't know how to answer it. flowerforyou drinker

This is what happens when I drink with my momdrinker laugh

lol kudos to yah! Between you and me, we'll have JSH thinking hehe We should collaborate...I think we could put together some real stumper questions lmao devil

give them all headaches from trying to think so hard.

lmao I think it'd be funny laugh laugh laugh

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:35 AM

Okay so the Ancient Greeks followed Zues and the Romans Jupiter.
We see their RELIGION as myth. So in 1000 years or more will our religion be myth?

This is absolutely bizarre!!! I was just looking up Zeus this morning, no kidding. It's still up on my Windows!!

You have an extremely good poser there. Don't know how to answer it. flowerforyou drinker

This is what happens when I drink with my momdrinker laugh

lol kudos to yah! Between you and me, we'll have JSH thinking hehe We should collaborate...I think we could put together some real stumper questions lmao devil

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:28 AM

In 1000 years or more, men from space will land on a dead planet...start archelogical digs and find vast cities crumbled, bones of an ancient people and pieces of books preserved in rubble. They'll read the books, and we'll be as facinating, outdated, unknown, misunderstood and mythilogical as the Ancient Egyptians, Romans, Mayans and Atlantian's are to us today. Just think of how we'll be romanticised though? gah...I can't wait until someone thinks my life was facinating, romantic and mystical! At least someone will lol
laugh

why do you get a footnote in the history of civilization?

I want one

lmao Naturally you do too...just gotta get your book out there and preserved so that when humanity crumbles the spacemen find it! I have an evil plan mwahaha! devil

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:25 AM
In 1000 years or more, men from space will land on a dead planet...start archelogical digs and find vast cities crumbled, bones of an ancient people and pieces of books preserved in rubble. They'll read the books, and we'll be as facinating, outdated, unknown, misunderstood and mythilogical as the Ancient Egyptians, Romans, Mayans and Atlantian's are to us today. Just think of how we'll be romanticised though? gah...I can't wait until someone thinks my life was facinating, romantic and mystical! At least someone will lol

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:20 AM
Edited by Scinn on Thu 06/12/08 08:20 AM

Iowa has a lot of churches to, especially in the country

Isn't that the truth! lol I used to live in several places in Iowa; Pella, Knoxville, Oskaloosa, Melcher, North Liberty, Iowa City and Lacona...Lacona is an itty bitty town of 300 people and they had 2 churches lmao 1 school (elementary) but 2 churches....those of us who were older had to go to school in a different city (Milo or Liberty Center...depending on your age) but by golly they made sure you could go to church...and to the bar right afterwards as one of the churches was next door to the only bar in town laugh laugh laugh

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:14 AM

This is funny.... it just made me think of that creepy line from Silence of the Lambs, when Agent Starling realizes Bill knows the first victim.

What do you covet? You covet what you see every day.

In a way, these churches are doing the same thing. They operate on the "out of sight, out of mind" dogma more than anything else. Religiosity becomes rote and mechanical. They need the signs to prove they are god loving and righteous, so they must share that and choke it onto others. After all, it is the Golden Rule, right? laugh

True...my question to them has always been, "Why are you so concerned about saving my soul when you have your own, your children's, your spouse's, your mother/father/brother/sister's souls to worry about? That seems like a lot already without taking on the rest of the world as well." I just never understood why they couldn't say "Ok...I understand you're not interested but thanks for listening! If you ever just want to chit chat, though, let me know...we could have a great discussion!" I personally don't really have a religious path I follow, I stick to a moral compass and it's gotten me through life great so far :D If it's not broken...why fix it?

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:06 AM

You must be in the "Bible Belt". Also known as "Tornado Alley".drinker

lol I'm right on the GA/AL border...so yes..in the middle of the bible belt :P

I was in ALABAMA once....just driving through the countryside, it seemed like there was a CHURCH for every 5 HOUSES! drinker

That's about right, yeah. Georgia is the same way, I would think Mississippi is as well, though I've never been through there so I'm not sure. But yes...we have a looot of churches all over the place.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:05 AM

I am driving through central Ohio tomorrow and to me, I call this annual trek "a little bit of country and a little bit of christian rock and roll". The signs/billboards are entertaining, and I am glad I don't have to live with them. The ones with the flames of hell are the best! laugh

You get to live with that all the time. Sweet home, huh? laugh

lol They used to really outrage me when you would literally see one every few feet. Now it's just more of a mental shrug and a thing of "are they really bothering me?" lol I personally don't see how they do any good, and I mean...it's a billboard. The things are huge...do they really need to be that big when you've got churches that are literally next door to each other? You drive down the street and you've got a church on your left, with a church next to it on both sides, and another directly across the street, then two blocks down you've got 6 more churches and then 3 blocks down from them you've got a church that (including it's rec room, parking lot, baseball field, play park, chapel, indoor play room, movie center, and a building which I have no clue) takes up 3 1/2 city blocks all the way around. I would think the churches themselves would be advertisement enough...do they really need to put up billboards? It's not like you can miss the churches lol

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 08:01 AM

hahaha! the nativity scene had a huge banner promoting the church's website strung across the entire top of the setup. very cheesy.

and "satan has been the church's best friend, for without him, they wouldn't have been is business this long" -Anton LaVey

laugh flowerforyou

lol I hadn't heard that quote before, but I suppose that's very true. Though, I think he's lost a lot of his "scare-ability" in today's age. It used to be parents would scare their children into good behavior by threatening them with the devil, and it worked. In today's society that doesn't go over so well once they get to a certain age/maturity point. I'm sure it could be argued that that's because of the decline of god in today's day and age, and that could be true to a degree. But I think it's more that there is more acceptance today than there was back then. Today, you don't have the fear of being burned at the stake after a false trial for being a witch. Back then, if you had "the devil" or his influence in you...that was it, you were done for.

Scinn's photo
Thu 06/12/08 07:57 AM

I'm sure you could rent a billboard and put "Got Satan?" on it if you wanted to. laugh

Or, "Have you accepted Lucifer into your life?"

But would you waste your money on such advertisements?

The reason that Christian organizations are doing this is because they are desperate. Attendance is dropping off in churches. People are awakening to the absurdity of the biblical doctrine. The churches are dying. The religion is on its last legs.

The massive advertisements that you see merely reflect the desperation of the organized religions.

They are hard up for new converts.

When all else fails,... ADVERTISE! bigsmile

"When all else fails....ADVERTISE!" lmao I think a lot of organizations follow that motto, and that's very true. laugh drinker

1 2 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 24 25