Community > Posts By > Scinn

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 12:05 PM
I usually just say whatever comes to mind. I read their profiles and if they sound interesting I bring that up. Though, I usually keep it light and simple. One of those things of (taking your profile as example):

Heya :) Saw your profile and you seem pretty cool. Computers, chess and video games huh? lol Right up my alley! What sort of video games? I've been playing CoD4 lately.

Then I just go about my day and wait for them to reply or not to reply lmao Whatever the case may be happy

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 11:38 AM

*insert clapping smiley here* This is exactly what I've tried to point out on several different occasions. That no one is wrong nor right...that there is something out there (by whatever name one chooses to call it) that is far greater than we are but it is the same thing. Same entity. That it is not by what name you call this entity or what religion you practice...it is how you live your life. The actions you make, the way you treat others, etc etc etc. drinker drinker drinker drinker flowerforyou

But do you believe that that creator went as far as to actaully CREATING the differant "versions" of him? The differant religions, creeds and non-religions and creeds.

No...mankind did that. Whatever entity is out there merely allowed it to happen.

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 11:31 AM

only if you dont want cancer!laugh

I figure...I'm gunna die anyway, but I'll be damned if it's from stress! lmao! smokin smokin

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 11:28 AM

Is it possible that all of us who believe there is a God are correct regardless of the title or doctrines WE as humans choose to apply to him are correct?

The following assumes that we can agree that there is a God and that God created the universe. I recognize everyone has a different view point on the gender, if any, of the creator. I will use the male gender only to simplify things.

If God created all of us and the entire universe, He is a very creative fellow. Far more creative than any of us can possibly imagine. Science is discovering new things about this universe we live in everyday. I would imagine that the creator would be pretty dog gone smart too. He has shown demonstrated that by what he has created. I would further suppose that he knows that this universe would be a pretty boring place if he colored the palette with only one color, personality, language, view point and creed. He created us all differently. He knows what we would need to lead a happy fulfilling life. He knows that some of us will need to cling to a “savior” and others will not. He knows that some will marvel at the power of the “Sun God” while others will just marvel at the sun.

Is it POSSIBLE that as he was and is creating the universe that he as also created and continues to plant the seeds of the creeds we as humans cling to in order to make sense of this world and life we live? And that it doesn’t matter to which creed you cling to because they are ALL him?

Is it POSSIBLE that HE created these different religion and creeds intentionally to add diversity and make life more interesting?

Is it POSSIBLE that we as humans underestimate the power of our creator and want to put Him in a box so that WE can be right and others can be wrong?

*insert clapping smiley here* This is exactly what I've tried to point out on several different occasions. That no one is wrong nor right...that there is something out there (by whatever name one chooses to call it) that is far greater than we are but it is the same thing. Same entity. That it is not by what name you call this entity or what religion you practice...it is how you live your life. The actions you make, the way you treat others, etc etc etc. drinker drinker drinker drinker flowerforyou

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 11:24 AM

Scratches her head, shrugs her shoulders, throws up her arms..thinking,

"Have the slaves gone completely insane?"

Apparently so.huh noway

JB

*gives JB asprin and nods* laugh :tongue:

Scinn's photo
Tue 06/17/08 07:22 AM
yawn hmm...morning...*opens one eye* bah humbug! laugh

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:50 PM
Edited by Scinn on Mon 06/16/08 09:54 PM

To convince someone that the religion is true you must convince them that the book is indeed the word of God and is therefore godly.

Exactly...so the challenge is...how would you go about doing that without quoting scriptures right off the bat?

why i'd show them a genuine receipt from the bibles are us store that states it is the real thing not an imitation, i would point out to the person the well bound corithian leather binding and open it to show it's the real thing not just an outward look but throughout the entire thing, - if that still did not convince them then i would call the booble store and have them talk directly with the person in charge - then they would be cinvinced - and reply - tell me verses - tell me verses!!!!

lol Firstly...I must google "corithian leather" as I'm not familiar with the word corithian....as for the rest lol Well...somehow, I'm guessing...that wouldn't quite work laugh It would take more than that for me...that's for sure!!

edit* oooh wait...corinthian leather sounds really good!

Wikipedia:
Corinthian leather was a phrase invented for marketing use to describe the leather used in certain Chrysler luxury cars in the 1970s. The first use of this term was to describe the leather in the 1974 Chrysler Imperial, but the best known use of this term is from the advertising campaign for the 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, featuring celebrity spokesman Ricardo Montalbán.[1]

Although many misquote Montalbán as saying "rich Corinthian leather" or "fine Corinthian leather" in the commercial, he actually says that "soft Corinthian leather" is an available upholstery option for the car.[2]

Corinthian Leather is a marketing term that does not actually indicate any particular type of leather. Furthermore, Montalbán confirmed this during an interview with David Letterman, admitting that Corinthian leather means "nothing."[3] According to one reference, Chrysler's "Corinthian" leather was mass produced in a plant in Newark, New Jersey (not Corinth).

According to one source, the term was created by employees of the Young & Rubicam advertising agency.[4]

Soft leather *mmmm* though...the whole "nothing" thing is slightly disturbing lmao

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:48 PM
Well...This just took an interesting turn..? Honestly, I'm really not concerned with how much money is spent on the billboards or if they want to use the billboards or take that money and burn it in a bonfire lol I mean...in the end...it's their money and they can spend it how they please same as I can spend mine. :) I was just really more interested in seeing if anyone would find it offensive if another religion decided to do the same..

And erm...just to address one thing (which I know was in response to something someone else said...but, anyway lol) I don't believe that abortion should be advertised, I havn't seen any advertisement that stood on a Pro platform for drug use, though I have seen (and approve) of a vast advertisement effort for Anti drug use platforms. (speaking of illegal drugs and perscription drugs used in a manner not intended, here...for clarification) And I am a proud supporter of arts and music in schools. I think it's a good thing and should most deffinately been advertised and encouraged...I don't believe for one moment that art (and music...though it wasn't mentioned) should ever be allowed to fall through the cracks or removed or considered a bad thing.

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:34 PM

I for one get tired of the obtuse responses. The original question was very simple.

If someone was interested in hearing about your religion and what you believe, but you were unable to quote scripture how would you convey those thoughts? What would you say?

I am presuming by the wording that this is meant to be a question for "Christians".

Yes but isn't it already redundant?

The scenario suggests that person who is supposed to be interested has already read the book cover to cover several times and while they found it interesting They don't believe it is godly words.

Why would they still be interested in something that they have already concluded to be "ungodly"?

It seems to me that the whole scenario is amiss.

This would be like someone saying, "The idea of some guy living at the North Pole who single-handedly rides around in a flying sleigh pulled by flying raindeer lands on people's roofs and shimmies down their chimneys never getting sooty looking seems utterly impossible.

But I WANT TO BELIEVE that Santa Claus exists!

PLEASE explain to me how I can believe in Santa Claus without having to believe in the STORY!

That's basically what the person would be asking.

ok the question is intended to make the reader consider (regardless of whether they answer) if they have enough knowledge of what they believe is "God" to convey this belief withought being able to repeat words from a book like a parrot, cut and paste from a scripture debate site meant to help those without any understanding propogate and defend the bible or christian faith, or simply ignore everything said and insert scripture that may or may not have anything to do with the sitiuation or their belief.

The Goal per my personal comprehension of the question is to see if proffessed Christians engaging in these discussions have any thoughts of their own whatsoever, and whether they are capable of sharing those thoughts.

Presuming they do have their own minds and are able to do so, it gives insight on their PERSONAL belief once they stop pasting, playing, and repeating scripture that they may or may not understand.

Exactly :) A testimony of sorts...I'm sure they've come upon this several times before...but in those cases they were probably able to use scriptures. But, if the person doesn't believe in the bible (at the time) scriptures wouldn't really sway their decision. One would think that first, you have to understand everything else...and then delve into the scripture. When they have a better sense of why others value it and belive it. I know me personally (and my sisters and several friends) don't believe in the bible...so bible quotes wouldn't really mean anything to me no matter how many were read to me. Hence the challenge to it... :wink:

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:29 PM

To convince someone that the religion is true you must convince them that the book is indeed the word of God and is therefore godly.

Exactly...so the challenge is...how would you go about doing that without quoting scriptures right off the bat?

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:22 PM
ok wow...I thought this would turn into an interesting debate :D I log out for a bit, and return...and wham! I'll have to go trhough and respond one by one to the posts...please bear with me during this short technical difficulty lmao laugh laugh

And thanks to everyone who's posted so far...this is actually pretty interesting! flowerforyou

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 11:55 AM

Is it tacit that they WISH to be converted, or are they just open to listening to me?

The best way to convert or open someone's mind to something new is to live and behave and speak what the scriptures communicate. In my opinion, one doesn't have to quote scriptures to show one is a Christian.

Agreed :D My question was more to those who are opposite of how you feel. :)

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 11:37 AM
Scenario:

A person tells you they are interested in listening to the word of god by your viewpoint...I.E. they're esentially telling you to try to convert them lol But, you can't use scripture quotes to do it. Their response is: "I have read the book cover to cover several times and while it is an interesting book, I do not believe it is godly words."

Challenge:

So...the person says they are open, but you can't use scriptures to try to convert them. How would you go about it and do you think you would be able to make a convincing enough arguement for them to sway them to your faith and give them a belief in your bible...as, naturally...one couldn't believe in the faith but not the book. How would you go about peeking their interest to open their mind to allowing you to quote scriptures? Or would it be impossible?

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 11:17 AM
mmm...I'd say go with Dave, but the name David always makes me think of...well...something that would certainly turn this into a thread belonging on the religious boards lmao! It just sounds so..."straighten your tie, proper posture, enunciate your words, pinkies up" yada yada lmao Dave sounds like the guy next door that's fun to go out with and chill, laid back. happy

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 09:16 AM

scinn:

actually yes lmao I made homemade cinnimon raison buns last night

tribo

( get's in car starts engine - zooooooooms !!)

br right there scinn!! laugh

lmao I'll be watching for you!!

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 08:59 AM

girls,girls !!

i awake and i find you guys carrying on while i sleep??? mormons,catholics?? walked away?? tsk,tsk,tsk, you should be ashamed of your selves------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT !!!!! - laugh

Good morning, Tribo! lol Have some coffee with me! drinker

hi scinn, still working on my first cup - hahahaha

got any home made pastry to go with it???flowerforyou

actually yes lmao I made homemade cinnimon raison buns last night laugh

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 08:14 AM
I just am lol I have more of a general wild facination/curiousity for all religions and will probably spend the rest of my life studying them. As for my own personal belief...mmm...havn't quite defined that one just yet. :tongue:

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 08:11 AM

girls,girls !!

i awake and i find you guys carrying on while i sleep??? mormons,catholics?? walked away?? tsk,tsk,tsk, you should be ashamed of your selves------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT !!!!! - laugh

Good morning, Tribo! lol Have some coffee with me! drinker

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 08:10 AM

:smile: That is where the word faith comes into play ! Maybe the question is not meant to be answered ! It's in striveing to live a life with a belief in good things that makes you either a good or lousy person . What do you think ?flowerforyou

I don't have faith when used in context with a specific religion. And I don't feel that I am a lousy person...so I don't think that quite works as a generalization to classify if a person is good or lousy. And many good people have faith in different religions...some of those people are good, some are lousy. Many people have faith in nothing, some of those people are good and some lousy. In the end, I don't believe it's the faith or the religion that defines if a person is good or bad.

It was'nt meant to be about a specific religion . It's about people believing in something unexplainable that makes them strive to be their best !And I'm not judgeing you either . That shall be left till the end of time .I would rather believe in something that makes me live a good life and then be proven wrong in the end than to live a rotten selfish life and find that there really is a creator in the end !

nono...I was saying that my faith or belief system (for me personally) is on a more general term :) After that I was saying religion to encompass any religion. I fully agree with what you said about people believing in something unexplainable :) But not all people believe in something unexplainable or have a religion and are still good people...etc etc...that's what I was saying happy

Scinn's photo
Mon 06/16/08 08:07 AM

Debbie's Says: Do you think it's possible to know oneself so well that you let God in as a guide not because you can't do it yourself, but because that is why he died to take our sin and burden. Of course I make decisions every day.....but I ask pray for God to guide me because I can.

Mmm...but then it comes down to the religion. I would have to believe that for it to apply to me in the same sense it applies to you :)

Debbie Says: And this again all well and good for you....But I can't imagine for me a God who would give His only Son and turned away when the sin was leashed on Christ and not feel emotion with that was coming down. If God makes me weep for no apparent reason other then when I am asking him something or praying....How could he not have emotion if he is putting that emotion through me.

For me, I don't believe that there are the 2 gods (god and jesus) I just believe there is something, but that that something is far vastly superior that it is above and beyond emotion. As in, it has no need for emotions in the sense that we do. :)

Debbie Says: And I can ask.....because when I do the prayers are answered...not all the time because it is on God's time not mine. If the creator as I see it made all that is.....why would I do anything other then use a tree, for product for air etc. I would not pray to a tree.
lol nono...I was using trees as an example. But "tree" could have been substituted with anything without emotion. Naturally you wouldn't pray to a tree laugh But, what I was saying, is that I believe that there is something...and it's there...but I could no more ask for it to guide me through my life than I could a tree.

Now I agree that with anything just as believing in God it's a choice. If I choose to have God tied to every aspect of my life....Is that a bad thing...heck no that what God wants. You don't get to heaven by works but through faith.

On this, I don't quite agree. I know lots of people who have very good faith, but their works are atrocious. It's not the faith that defines a person, but their actions. In your case, the two are hand in hand. A person of good faith would have good acts...a person of good acts would have good faith.

And because of my faith in God all things are possible. How could I not think this with all that God is doing right here on JSH....Miracles are happening and it's not through our will but His.

God = Creator
Jesus = His Son who will come back and this world will belong to him again. He will be the All Mighty the voice.
satan = Will be banned by Jesus for all eternity never to darken our doorsteps again.

And understand one last thing. You are so very very entitled to believe as you wish....as I am.....and can we have our differences and still love each other as human beings....yeppers.

Exactly! :D I love discussions like this...both understanding that neither is right or wrong, but that it's personal choice...personal faith and belief, and it's great to share that with each other without either party feeling as though they are being attacked. A sharing of the souls, so to speak :D flowerforyou

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25