Community > Posts By > Tobias1540

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 06:57 PM
Edited by Tobias1540 on Sat 02/02/08 06:59 PM

just wondering, since unless you know what you're doing it's not always a sure thing that you'll hit someone. that's even more true when you put range between the two

I understand what you are saying. My point was just that it is so much easier to kill with a gun than without one. And I am tired of hearing, "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Obviously not all gun owners are responsible or we wouldn't have so many "accidental shooting incidents." The VP of the US accidentally shot someone for god's sake. Has he accidentally stabbed anyone?

My family is one of those many sad ones where a child shot another child with their fathers gun. Yes, children accidentally cut one another with knives but the results are rarely so severe.

Someone had earlier equated guns with knives. My point is that they cannot be compared.
And you have a good point. At range it is even less likely you could kill with a knife, yes?

But there is a much easier way to stop that from happening. I am sorry to say but whoever owns the gun is responcible for how it is kept safe. If whoever owns it doesn't lock it up then its thier fault for what happens if something goes wrong. There is a reason we keep cleaning cabnits locked up, but no one thinks we should ban cleaning supplies, cuz some kid drinks drano.

My dad is a police officer, and he had many guns while i was growing up. The only time i ever saw them was when he cleaned them, other then that I never say them because he was always careful to keep them locked up.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 06:49 PM

Guns are almost non existant in England. The police do not even carry them. I have seen a few documentaries on it. They have crimes but not a whole lot of gun crimes in England.

I meant voilent crimes sorry for the typo.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 06:42 PM

But then it seems that one would have the right to keep and bear arms as long as he is part of(or agrees to be part of if necessary) a well regulated miltia. Consequently then, only those that are part of the militia would have the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the 2nd Amendment. Right?

If you want to go look directly at the text of the 2nd amendment then yes that might be true. But seeing as there are no more militias, I think taking away peoples rights to bare arms is not the intent of the 2nd amandment. I know it is tricky, but I think that the right to bare arms is a useful right now as it was when The Bill of Rights was written.

If you type in "Gun Control, England" in google the whole first page is articles about how crime has risen since england has enacted their very strict Gun Control laws. The best way to judge a laws effectiveness is to see how it works in other places. And if england is any example all people for total Gun Control have no leg to stand on.

I did see some articles that state this but when I examined them they were all from gun lobbying sources and didn't really match the original data sources. According to our Dept. of Justice crime has been generally increasing steadily in many nations-including the US- but the US still has a per capita murder rate that is 6 times that of Englands and 3 times the rape rate- http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/pub/html/cjusew96/crpr.htm . There were some indications that robbery was becoming more prevalent in the UK but that could be linked to economic issues that have arisen there as well.

This does not mean I advocate that the same gun control laws that are in place there be implemented here. I think you can't compare the two. I believe we need to look at our culture and the problems here and try to figure out what will work here. Education might be more necessary. Guns are glamorized here and I think that is a problem but one I don't have a solution for...

Yes but what about gun crimes?

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 06:00 PM
I am really suprised that there is noone on this thread for gun control. I thought this would be a hot topic lol.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 04:52 PM
Edited by Tobias1540 on Sat 02/02/08 04:54 PM

But then it seems that one would have the right to keep and bear arms as long as he is part of(or agrees to be part of if necessary) a well regulated miltia. Consequently then, only those that are part of the militia would have the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the 2nd Amendment. Right?

If you want to go look directly at the text of the 2nd amendment then yes that might be true. But seeing as there are no more militias, I think taking away peoples rights to bare arms is not the intent of the 2nd amandment. I know it is tricky, but I think that the right to bare arms is a useful right now as it was when The Bill of Rights was written.

If you type in "Gun Control, England" in google the whole first page is articles about how crime has risen since england has enacted their very strict Gun Control laws. The best way to judge a laws effectiveness is to see how it works in other places. And if england is any example all people for total Gun Control have no leg to stand on.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 04:27 PM

Interesting and well reasoned Tobias. The only issue I see with that is the first part of the 2nd Amendment. Here's the whole text:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Clearly, the right to keep and bear arms is in some way tied to a well regulated militia. So what exactly is meant by a "well regulated militia"?

Well the founders meant each state to be individual and that each state would raise its own army, unless in the event of national security. Well in today's world it is clear that there is no such thing anymore. So the melitias turned into each states national reserve. The point of being able to have weapons was so that anyone could join the state malita and it would not cost alot to arm it. Plus people would be able to defend themselves. At least thats my understanding of it.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 04:16 PM
Edited by Tobias1540 on Sat 02/02/08 04:17 PM

Hey Tobias, let me ask a question. Do you believe that citizens have an absolute right to bear arms? Arms of any kind?

No. Ordinary people should not get grenades or rocket launchers. I support the history checks that we have in place and believe we should enforce them as much as posslible.

Now that being said I think that people should be able to have the weapons they need to protect themselve and their family. These include but are not limited to handguns, shotguns, and rifles.

Now that sounds very reasonable to me. But in the same breath, you are denying arms to citizens. Where do we draw the line? And does the Constitution allow us to draw the line?

Well thats the trouble with the contitution you never know what they mean by looking at the text, so I try to look for the context. The context of The Bill of Rights is one of protection. If you take your ideas from that point of view it makes things easier to see distinctions. So if The Bill of Rights is meant to protect people the right to bear arms could be taken to say that people have the right to defend themselves. So people have the right to bare weapons that will defend themselves and thier family. And things that are not needed to defend and, and are more useful in attack are not governed by the right to bare arms.

So thats my thinking of the second amendment.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 04:04 PM

Hey Tobias, let me ask a question. Do you believe that citizens have an absolute right to bear arms? Arms of any kind?

No. Ordinary people should not get grenades or rocket launchers. I support the history checks that we have in place and believe we should enforce them as much as posslible.

Now that being said I think that people should be able to have the weapons they need to protect themselve and their family. These include but are not limited to handguns, shotguns, and rifles.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 03:54 PM

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. ;D

With guns!!!

And overweight people eat with forks. Does taking a fork away make then full?

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 03:50 PM

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. ;D

Gun's don't kill people, wives that come home early do :wink:

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 03:46 PM
Edited by Tobias1540 on Sat 02/02/08 03:46 PM
I was reading another thread that touched on this topic, but why not devote a full thread to it.

So what do you guys think? Should there be total gun control, limited, or no control at all? And please if you say something use facts to back it up.

Tobias1540's photo
Sat 02/02/08 03:29 PM
I think that there is psycic energy that is around, and there are people who can channel it so to say, but not in anyform that people claim.

Tobias1540's photo
Fri 02/01/08 02:25 PM

What is the air speed velocity of a unladen swallow?

African or European?

Tobias1540's photo
Fri 02/01/08 10:00 AM
You can never know if you are in a recession until after it is over. The deffinition of a recession is 6 months in economic downturn. So you can't know there was a recession untill it has already happened.

Tobias1540's photo
Wed 01/30/08 10:50 PM
I don't think its ever going to happen. And if it does call me a dodger:wink:

Tobias1540's photo
Wed 01/30/08 08:41 PM
At least Valentines Day is something of a real holiday. In Michigan we have a holiday called Sweetest Day. Its exactly like V-Day but before Christmas. And it is documented as a holiday created by a company to increase profits. Even with that I love V-Day and Sweetest Day, though I have never had a date on either.

Tobias1540's photo
Tue 01/29/08 06:46 PM
Actually nothing you have said has changed any of my opinions. I have not said that welfare is totally a bad thing. I said that the way it is done now is not right. I am not judgemental, I just have no pity. I just think that there are better ways to help people. Why is welfare reform such a bad thing?

And Dragoness I wasn't talking about you in my last post. Your posts have been the best that I have seen against my opinion. I am not the close minded one. The mark of an open mind is to think about a new idea without accepting them. Thats what I am doing I am listining to other ideas, and am saying why i disagree with them.

Tobias1540's photo
Tue 01/29/08 06:20 PM
Edited by Tobias1540 on Tue 01/29/08 06:21 PM
You guys are right I have no pity for anyone on welfare. Bad things happen to everyone, and it is up to themselves to get out of the situation. You can call me what ever you want. I don't care.

Who ever said I don't want to help people? I certianly never did. I just think of helping people in a different way to you. And I think that we should not help africa out. There is nothing we can do there. I know it seems heartless, but you know what thats what I believe.

And cutelildevilsmom if you are getting free money from the government you have no right to financial nor personal privacy. It would be different if you were given loans, then you should get privacy, but you don't. I don't know your cituation so I will not generalize, but I should not have to pay for your bad mariges. You have no right to take away the money I earn. And thats just what taxes do. They take away money from me in the form of taxes to give it to you.

Addictions are something you can control and I have no pity for people who get addicted. I have made the concius decision not to do drugs, and people who disregaurd that deserve what they get. I am sorry that is a personal choice that they have to deal with the conciquences.

And I have not attacked anyones character or the validity of thier ideas because I have logic to back my opinions up with, unlike the people who argue with me. I have not heard one peice of evidence or fact to back up your attacks.
(excuse my bad spelling)

Tobias1540's photo
Tue 01/29/08 10:32 AM
People have no right to privacy when they are getting free money. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I know you agree with me but I just have to say it. If you get money from a bank they don't just gived it to you that would be dumb.

What about the rights of people who are paying taxes. The money that they earn is taken from them and given to someone else without their consent. I call that taking away peoples rights.

Things can be done to fix the problem, but anyone that says different is labeled as selfish, or cruel, and many other things. People don't see that welfare is a cruch not a fix.

Tobias1540's photo
Tue 01/29/08 09:51 AM
Wow thats an ingenious thought. Just be ready for people to tear down your idea as they do not agree with it. It has happened many times before.

1 2 11 12 13 15 17 18 19 24 25