singingmyheartout's photo
Sat 12/29/07 11:23 PM
Pity party= agreed.

Insult/attacking... hmmm... a good debate is great... I think everyone should have a right to their opinion... and I seriously think some people are just overly sensitive to the truth. Real life is not sugar-coated... we all have to deal.

Love right away... you can't help what your heart feels. Love comes in many forms and in many dosages...different degrees...

And to love and then not love... well... you can love the person you meet, and then find out they aren't the person they proclaimed to be... so what of that?

Sat 12/29/07 11:11 PM

I don't know about your kids, but my son gets motion sickness. So just in case, I would pack something for that!! Some times they don't get sick in the car, but they do get sick on the bus or on the train! So you might want to take some precautions.
I wish you luck and I hope you and the children are very happy in AZ. flowerforyou

Thanks! Yes... my son sometimes does get motion sickness. That thought hadn't even crossed my mind! You're a life saver! Thank you!flowerforyou

Sat 12/29/07 11:08 PM
My 4 year old asked for a Ken doll for Christmas. I asked her why and she said so that Barbie had a boyfriend. So I asked her what Barbie would do with her boyfriend and she said "Marry Him" and then I said "Which (of your 12 Barbies) would Ken marry" and she said "All of them!" And I said "Oh, really?!" and she said "Yes, cuz they are friends, mommy and nice friends share."

And when my son (now 7) was 5 and in Kindergarten, I had him practice writing before he started going to school. He did the work messy and sloppy... but he was 5... so at least he made the effort. 2 weeks into the school year, he brings me papers he's done with the most BEAUTIFUL & Neat handwriting and so I had to ask him why he made it all messy for me but perfect for his teacher... and he very matter of factly stated "Mommy, no matter what, you're always going to be my mommy. But the teacher... well, if I don't do good, she will fail me. And we can't have that!"

Sat 12/29/07 07:55 PM
People have smoked for generations. I steer clear of smoker-friendly establishments when I am with my kids. I don't allow people to smoke in my home, and most of the smokers I do know are considerate enough NOT to light up in their cars or around my kids, even if we are outside.

I don't take my kids to McDonalds or any other fast food place... but I can't afford ORGANIC if I want to eat the whole month.

I teach my kids about the positives and negatives... and that every action has a consequence. YES- we should all have rights... I think smokers should be considerate of WHERE they smoke and designated places set up... and non-smokers shouldn't come down so hard on smokers. Just as it is your choice TO smoke, it is also your choice NOT TO smoke...

We all need to find a way to co-exist... instead of arguing who is right and who is wrong.

Sat 12/29/07 07:34 PM
Mine is in my Sailor's arms... can't wait to be there... I dream about it all the time...

Sat 12/29/07 07:32 PM
There are so many things in this world harmful to our health. Do you take your kids to McDonalds? Studies show McDonalds is VERY harmful to your health...

SO- next time you buy Junior a Happy Meal, consider that you are walking him through the cloud hanging on the door.

I guess my point is that if it wasn't smoking, it'd be something else. It is inevitable that we will all die. I know people who have smoked for 60 years... and still do... and non-smokers who have died in their 40's and 50's....

People need to LIVE life and stop making excuses. All this anti-bacterial stuff- it does more harm than good, too... because you kids don't have the immunities built up to fight off germs if the soaps you buy do it for them...

People have survived for generations... but now that we "know" of the harms... NOW we are going to take away rights??? WTF! There are men and women who DIED to give us our freedom... and they'd be rolling over in their graves if they knew we were losing it.

Sat 12/29/07 07:20 PM
I am an ex smoker and I have kids. In Chicago, most establishments are already smoke free... you can't smoke in Cabs, restaurants, and most public venues have designated smoking sections. As of January 01, the only place it will be legal to smoke is in your home IF you do not rent it.

My mother smoked while she was pregnant with me, and didn't quit til I was almost 5. My father, to this day, smokes.

There are some public health concerns I am sure, HOWEVER, I feel it is a violation of a smoker's rights. It is an addiction... and the way everything is being limited, it is almost discriminatory. Perhaps outdoors it should be banned because we all deserve to breathe clean, fresh air, BUT I feel that restaurants and business owners should be able to decide if they are smoker-friendly or not. If non-smokers want to b!tch, they simply need not patronize the business. To offset this, I think businesses choosing to remain smoker friendly should pay a yearly fee to be donated to cancer research.

Just a thought.

Sat 12/29/07 07:09 PM

I have my daughter this year so I won't be alone. Probably be watching a barbie movie or something, lol.

Normally I just watch the year on my clock turn over and go to bed.. I'll take a barbie movie over that any year.

Which Barbie Movie? I've had the Princess & The Pauper and The 12 Dancing Princesses playing over and over... sadly my 4 year old has the majority of the Barbie movies... and she and my 7 year old son watch them ENDLESSLY.huh So I will NOT be playing Barbie movies. I will be watching my clock and then going to bed.ohwell

Sat 12/29/07 07:04 PM
Well... my fiance's overseas... and my parents are taking my kids because it'll be their last new years together before we move... but going out doesn't feel right... so I will be sitting at my house alone.ohwell Better than getting hit on by some freaky drunks and blowing a bunch of money I don't have...

So I'll be with y'all in spirit.

Happy New Year, my friends!flowerforyou :heart:

Sat 12/29/07 06:53 PM

bring condoms. things get pretty steamy on greyhound busses...

Considering my fiance is in the Navy and 7000 miles away and I will be travelling ALONE with my Children (ages 7 and 4).... noway noway noway noway noway noway WOW. No thanks.

Fri 12/28/07 09:57 AM

I haven't finalized my plans, but I'm pretty sure I will be curled up on my couch reading the last Harry Potter book. (Yes, I am a geek!)I'm even willing to read to someone else, lol...

love I :heart: HARRY POTTER!love
I read the last 2 books in a day!!! Couldn't put them down!

Thu 12/27/07 07:05 PM
Ha... New years! As every other night, I will spend it by myself (online) after the children are asleep... yay for single parenthood!

Thu 12/27/07 02:41 PM
I was born in February of 1980... I can relate to all of these things... and YES, it brings back memories!!!flowerforyou

Thu 12/27/07 11:11 AM
Thanks Daniel... actually, I just looked... Amtrak is almost a day less and $50 cheaper... thanks for the advice.

Thu 12/27/07 09:21 AM
No kisses for me at midnight.flowerforyou

Thu 12/27/07 09:17 AM
The best things in life are free. I prefer to live simply. If I believe the deed to be worthwhile, I'd do it from the goodness of my heart... helping a friend or loved one is compensation enough.

Thu 12/27/07 09:15 AM
Edited by singingmyheartout on Thu 12/27/07 09:15 AM
It may be tactless... but I believe in brutal honesty. No sense letting the inevitable build up... if the bond is mutual, the other person will respect your opinion/input... HOWEVER, just as you have a right to voice your advice/opinion, they have a right to NOT FOLLOW it... and that is something you should accept regardless.

Thu 12/27/07 07:29 AM
My fiance and his family are from there. The fiance is in the Navy... so we'd stay with his parents temporarily. I think the change will be great, considering I've lived in the Chicago Area all my life...

AND- CUBS SPRING TRAINING! YIPPEE! Lol....

Thanks, all, for the input.flowerforyou

Thu 12/27/07 05:20 AM
420 is also the code called over a police radio, I believe. Sad that this topic is found in the Chicago section... sigh.

Well... to each his own, I suppose...

flowerforyou Good Luck to you.flowerforyou

Thu 12/27/07 05:18 AM
So at the end of January I am taking my kids (ages 7 and 4)and moving to Arizona from Illinois. We are probably going via Greyhound bus or Amtrak train. (a 2-3 day trip). Most of our things will be shipped to Arizona prior to moving so we can travel as lightly as possible.

I'm making a check list of MUST HAVE's on the bus or train for the ride out there... not for me, but for the kids...

So far I am thinking basics like crayons and coloring books, hand-held video games, books, discman & CD's... extra batteries, baby wipes, juice boxes, bottled water, non-messy snacks...travel board games, 2 sets of clothes for each of them, ...and of course a camera.

We've never made a trip like this before. Any suggestions or tips/advice?

1 2 5 6 7 9 11 12 13 24 25