Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 11:34 AM

What I want to know is what in the hell are the Dodger thinking by letting this attorney even think of this? What a scumbag and I hope Mr. Stowe sues all of em and comes away with $100,000,000.00

i don't see that the lawsuite names stowe as a defendant. why should the assailants not be sued by the dodgers? and of course stowe himself will likely become a plantiff as well in his own lawsuit. just because an attorny suggests that the jury will be asked to determine who is liable for what hardly means that stowe will be found complicit. sure, the defendant's attorney may try to convince a jury that stowe was wholey or completely to blame but that hardly means the jury will agree. the dodgers have every right to sue as this incident has caused them financial harm in good will if nothing else. and these perps need to be made an example of what happens when fan emotions go too far.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 11:21 AM
1% of One! = .001, right?

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 07:11 AM

Guys..do you secretly wish for a less - how do I put this and still hold my head high laugh... a less evolved woman?

i suppose i'm of the caveman mentality. you know, club her over the head, drag her into my cave.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 07:07 AM

I'm ready for someone to take care of me now...laugh

Anyone in mind?
We can make it happen :-)

Hmm...there could be one or two...so all I have to do is say 'Make it so'..? lol

worked for a guy i used to fly with. in a bar he'd tell maybe twenty gals to come to his room for a good time. he'd get slapped nineteen times but got laid every night.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 07:07 AM

I'm ready for someone to take care of me now...laugh

Anyone in mind?
We can make it happen :-)

Hmm...there could be one or two...so all I have to do is say 'Make it so'..? lol

worked for a guy i used to fly with. in a bar he'd tell maybe twenty gals to come to his room for a good time. he'd get slapped nineteen times but got laid every night.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 06:55 AM

You can't understand a product more than the manufacturer.How can anyone claim to know what is best for man than God the creator?

can't know what's best. unknowable. just like god.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/28/11 06:51 AM
love john stewart. between him and cobert i need no other news source.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/27/11 06:12 AM

i don't see much of a difference between any of the religions, assuming that is that we accept the definition of religion as based on a belief in a deity, god, supreme being, etc. they are all inventions of mankind to provide answers to questions for which there are no answers.

Yep. And I understand 'there are no answers' to mean 'we have no answers' of course.

Quite. Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

yes, as regards god there are no answers. the human mind is simply not capable of knowing the existance of god, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/27/11 06:10 AM

sure individuals abuse the intent of religions but the fact

remains that without religion the intent could not be abused.

Religion is not the cause.....abuse of religion is the cause.....

so if man got rid of religion, the people who commit

these atrocities would just find something else to abuse .

flowerforyou:heart:flowerforyou

you cannot know that to be true.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/27/11 04:45 AM

first you say:

i never negated the value of religion for arriving at good answers. .....

then you follow with:

religions, all religions, simply provide nothing good to humanity that cannot be provided without religion.

So I do think you are trying to (wrongly) negate the value of religion. And I think you go far beyond overboard here.

Wars etc. are inherently anti-religious and universally abhorred
by religions of the world. Wars still happen but they are not due
to religion - they occur despite religious efforts to eliminate
the disputes.

The fact that unscrupulous people try to justify their violence
by religious arguments does not mean that religions themselves
are the source of the problem only that some individuals are
abusing the intent of the religions concerned.

you keep leaving out words. i said that i never negated the value of relion FOR COMING UP WITH GOOD ANSWERS and followed that with that the same good answers can be found without religion. this war on terrorism is certainly over religion. sure individuals abuse the intent of religions but the fact remains that without religion the intent could not be abused. you asked for the main differences in the religions. my answer is that there is no main difference. all of them worship a deity, all have been used to justify atrocity. you may dissagree but there it is.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/26/11 12:06 PM
dang, i missed it. how bout a little heads up next time now comes, jb?

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/26/11 07:41 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 10/26/11 07:54 AM

actually it's been my tradition for the past quarter century to dedicate forty five minutes or so every fourth of july reading the constitituon from "we the people" through the twenty seventh amendment and nowhere over those decades have i seen the words, "unalienable rights" anywhere in the document. but i certainly do agree that more should read the constitution so as not to confuse documents of law. let me know if you need a link to the parchment in it's entirety as i keep it in my favorites.

and any law written that has not been ruled unconstitution by a federal court remains fulling within the confines of the constitution. what you or i see as constitutional or unconstitutional is of little consequence. if you'd like to peruse some case history i can refer you to several sources including those dealing with the patriot act.

My bad....I freely admit my "passage" is from the Declaration of Independence.

I have been reading both repeatedly a lot lately (for my own understanding and education) and questioning many things I have discovered in my re-education into the different branches of gov't, the supreme court, their power, and things of such nature.

I try not to "misquote" them when possible, but I do get them mixed up at times.

many folks confuse the two documents. i've found it best to put the declaration completely out of mind when it comes to the question of how this country was designed to operate. if you'll think about it the DEO is nothing more than a letter to king george with copies to the rest of the planet that his rule no longer stands on american soil. we warred over the issue, we won and now the declaration is nothing more than a historical document having nothing to do with how our government runs.

Still, I find no rights given to the President to pass a death sentence on a "citizen" who has not been given due process....THAT IS PLAYING GOD!

here's another big mistake people make regarding the constitution. other than habeus corpus, the constitution gives NOBODY any rights. we the people gave certain POWERS to the president, the congress and the judiciary but we gave no RIGHTS whatsoever. show me where the constitution gives you the RIGHT to vote if you can. you won't be able to but it'll be educational for sure.

Cameras that spy on me from every street corner (and space), GPS trackers you are NOT allowed to remove from electonics (and now they want to put them on EVERYTHING), warrantless search and siezures on or into my PERSONAL property (including hacking your PERSONAL PC and webcam), these are violations of the Constitution and my "right to feel secure..." within them....

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

One apple can spoil the whole barrel! The Patriot Act is a barrel full of rotten apples!

you keep mentioning "due process" as a right and yet somehow you cannot fathom that "due process of law" has been served with the patriot act. in fact it has not been ruled unconstitutional and until it is the patriot act IS law and the president or any agency acting within the scope of the act, [law], is acting with reqired "due process of law". we are not given a RIGHT requiring "probable cause" for the issuance of a warrant. again, you and i were born with that right and the fourth amendment mearly guarantees that particular "inalienable right" SHALL NOT BE VIOLATED as you quoted.

the inalienable rights that we spoke of earlier are not given to us by any government. that in essence is what we told king george in what amounted to our declaration of war to him. we are born with those rights and the only control government can have over them is either to protect CERTAIN INALIENABLE RIGHTS. but no government protects all rights. some are abridged, restricted, denied, etc. you don't have the right to drive without a licence for instance. in saudi arabia a woman does not have the right to drive at all.

our constitution simply protects certain rights and empowers the three branches while at the same time limiting those powers. perhaps you can show some case history where the patriot act has been challenged and ruled unconstitutional or that the president or any of the agencies over which he has control have violated due process of law. i'm all for educating myself as you are and if i missed something as important as this i'm not even the rank amature scholar of the supreme court and the constitution that i fancy myself.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/26/11 07:13 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 10/26/11 07:16 AM

1. You incorrectly used the wrong part of the definition. I have
pointed out the obvious similarities between religion and philosophy
that's all.

and i've rejected those similarities. i've incorrectly used no definition of the word 'philosophy' as it's a part of the definition that YOU provided. obviously you seem to think that you can insert religion into the definition where webster's does not and that's perfectly fine. but don't expect everyone to agree that religion and philosophy are in any way similar.

2. I realize that there are many ways to arrive at good answers and
that religion is only one of the ways. This does not negate the value
of religion as a basis at arriving at the answers however.

3. Atrocities have occurred with and without religious justification.
Such abominations are never right and have no possible correct
justification regardless of their origin. Certainly many horrendous
atrocities were committed without any religious impetus. Atrocities
are not consistent with any religion and have nothing to do with
religion in general as all religions teach kindness. This is an
underlying concept common to all religions I think.

i never negated the value of religion for arriving at good answers. my problem with religious dogma is that it affords great opportunity for arriving at the bad answers ans history and current events have shown all to well. obviously atrocities are commited outside the realm of religion for many reasons. but you began a thread regarding religion so this is obviously not the place to discuss the atrocities commited by hitler, stalin or other famous boogiemen.

i happen to think that if religion could somehow be purged from the human mind the world would be a much safer place. that won't happen, of course, so i've nothing to do but discuss my thinking on forums like this. i spend time on a skin head forum as well stating my views that their christian belief that whites are superior to other races has no basis in logic. still that's what they believe. i've participated on islamic forums talking down this jihad silliness. if i could find atrocious behavior being espoused on a secular forum i'd be there as well but i simply cannot find such a thing.

religions, all religions, simply provide nothing good to humanity that cannot be provided without religion. i'd put my volunteer services over the decades up against any religious person i know as a measure of doing good for others and along the way i've caused much less harm to others than many of my god fearing aquaintences. so in my view religion is not in the least neccessary for a peaceful society and often times is a detriment to that peace.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 10/25/11 10:29 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Tue 10/25/11 10:31 AM
actually it's been my tradition for the past quarter century to dedicate forty five minutes or so every fourth of july reading the constitituon from "we the people" through the twenty seventh amendment and nowhere over those decades have i seen the words, "unalienable rights" anywhere in the document. but i certainly do agree that more should read the constitution so as not to confuse documents of law. let me know if you need a link to the parchment in it's entirety as i keep it in my favorites.

and any law written that has not been ruled unconstitution by a federal court remains fulling within the confines of the constitution. what you or i see as constitutional or unconstitutional is of little consequence. if you'd like to peruse some case history i can refer you to several sources including those dealing with the patriot act.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 10/25/11 09:25 AM

The oath of office of the President of the United States is an oath or affirmation required by the United States Constitution before the President begins the execution of the office. The wording is specified in Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States........"

How's that Patriot Act, and Presidential Decree, for the execution of US Citizens without "due process" working for you?

Do we mention "forced Health Care"? How about "unconstitutional" wars?

"due process?" i assume you meant "due process of law" since we're talking about the constitution. in that regard. the patriot act is law and acting within it is acting with due process of law. "forced health care" has already been ruled unconstitutional.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 10/25/11 07:01 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Tue 10/25/11 07:18 AM

The question of god, a deity, a supreme being are also philosophical
questions. Religion basically addresses philosophical questions.
There is no real distinction between religion and philosophy.

It is in the Merriam Webster dictionary.

Definition of PHILOSOPHY
a (1) : all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts (2) : the sciences and liberal arts exclusive of medicine, law, and theology <a doctor of philosophy> (3) : the 4-year college course of a major seminary b (1) archaic : physical science (2) : ethics c : a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology
a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs
a : a system of philosophical concepts b : a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war>
a : the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group

quote from the very definition that YOU provided; "exclusive of medicine, law, and theology".

is theology not religion?

That definition is with respect to a college degree. Look at the rest
of the definition. (as in doctor of philosophy)

Read this part:

a : pursuit of wisdom b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs
a : a system of philosophical concepts

and

That is the part of the definition which illustrates that religion is
in fact philosophical. They are not exactly the same thing of course.
Philosophy does not have rituals for example but most of the central
issues in philosophy and religion are the same. This is why you could
have said similar things about philosophy.

stephen hawking is a phd, doctor of philosopy, in theoretical physics but i'd never call him religious. i'll not get into an argument about a college definition being correct, as i see it, or, "this part" or "that part" that you see as correct. and nowhere in the definition is religion or theology even mentioned other than to exclude it from one definition. many words can be found in many dictionaries with several different definitions. we all simply apply the definition as we see fit. the word "religios" will have definitions that could be and often is used to describe an oakland raiders fan. so i'll go with the college definition that you provided. you go with what pleases you.

obviously i don't know what others cannot know.

So, you cannot say that others cannot know God of course.

Look, I appreciate your honest opinions but when you said that

they are all inventions of mankind to provide answers to questions for which there are no answers.

I just thought you were wrong because it is not clear how they were
invented and that religion (which is a type of philosophy) provides
good answers to questions for which there are good and important
answers.

no it's not clear how religion was invented or how it came about. that is the very essence of why i question the dogma as i do. as for answers, the inquisitors thought they had the answers which they learned from christian teachings. had the dogma never been taught, the inquisition could not have happened. same can be said about the crusades, the salem witch trials and this fvcking jihad we must all put up with today. people were very carefully taught using the very scriptures that so many nold to have the answers that burning people at the stake and strapping bombs to themselves will bring them salvation in the name of god, allah or whatever the supreme flavor of the month. i haven't a religious bone in my body and my moral and ethical compass would never allow me to commit the atrocities against humanity that hss and still is being perpetrated by many god fearing folks. the "good and important answers" as you call them, were out there before the first words of the bible, quoran, talmud, whatever, were first put pen to paper. the good and important answers can be found without having to rely on the interpretation of scripture. if even webster cannot agree on definitions, as you've shown, how can two different people reading the bible agree on what it means?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 10/25/11 06:36 AM

Im a single mother and believe to be upfront and honest about that. I have a great job and support my girls on my own. But Im looking for some companion ship, but once hearing I have kids it puts a stop to any interest in me. So is that a deal breaker being a single mom?

sure, it's a deal breaker for many and for various reasons. i'm sure some men are looking for a serious ltr without kids in the picture. others more old fashioned like me, see that when you had your kids you entered into a contract to devote yourself to raising those kids in a manner that will cause the least drama and trauma in their lives. why you became a single mom i don't know but fact is you did and you owe it to those kids to devote all of your time and energy to them. my daughter is in her early forties and only now has become intimate with a man she will marry soon. she's been a single mother devoted entirely to her kids since here early twenties.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 10/25/11 06:27 AM

ahh, chivalry,, the lost art (outside of the southern states)

love it, miss it,,,,

you haven't been to texas lately, huh mh?

jrbogie's photo
Mon 10/24/11 11:28 AM

it's quite clear to me that the thread asks this question; "If someone has preferences listed in their profile, do you pay attention to them, or do you hope they just won't matter?"

i answered the question as best i could as reagards to the attention i pay to the preferences of others. as far as seeing something i like; IF and that's a big IF, i can get past the preferences i suppose i might send a message anyway. but i won't simply ignore the preference. i simply do not care to read what women want in a man. in a profile i want to read that a woman is what i want in a woman and no, i'm not at all sure what that is either. the point is that a profile must cause me to want to take the next step and reading what she expects is not likely to do that.

This echoes my thoughts.
I guess I perceive, any blanket statements,
made about women, on a man's profile, to be
negative in nature.
My eyes glaze over.

i suppose it would serve me well, in an educational sense, to look at a few profiles of men my age. i have seen blanket statements about men on women's profiles which often seem to be gross overgeneralizations, something that will make me move on to the next profile in a heartbeat.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 10/24/11 08:36 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Mon 10/24/11 08:45 AM

i don't see much of a difference between any of the religions, assuming that is that we accept the definition of religion as based on a belief in a deity, god, supreme being, etc. they are all inventions of mankind to provide answers to questions for which there are no answers.

You could say the same of "Philosophy" but both Philosophy and
religions address important issues of ethics, the nature of humanity
and our relationship to the rest of the world.

no, you could say the same of philosophy. i wouldn't. perhaps religions do address issues of ethics but that does not mean they address those issues in a way that everybody can agree is ethical. ethics are best addressed by thought within each individual. when we look to dogama, religious or otherwise, for ethical standards, we tend to fail at ethical reasoning on our own such as happened in the crusades, the inquisition and now this jihad humanity must indure.

In short, I think you are wrong that all of the questions addressed
by religion or philosophy have no answers. There are useful answers
about what is right and what is wrong and why. There are points of
view which put our significance and insignificance in perspective.

To say that questions concerning these issues have no answers is
extremely simplistic and not true in general as I see it.

i never said that philosophy has no answers. you tied philosophy and religion together, not me. why we're even discussing philosophy when the question is about different religions is beyond me. the question of god, a deity, a supreme being, etc. which all religions must address simply have no answers. the human mind simply is incapable of knowing the existence of god, the afterlife and other supernatural phenomena. of course you think i'm wrong. takes an agnostic to think i'm right.

The question of god, a deity, a supreme being are also philosophical
questions. Religion basically addresses philosophical questions.
There is no real distinction between religion and philosophy.

It is in the Merriam Webster dictionary.

Definition of PHILOSOPHY
a (1) : all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts (2) : the sciences and liberal arts exclusive of medicine, law, and theology <a doctor of philosophy> (3) : the 4-year college course of a major seminary b (1) archaic : physical science (2) : ethics c : a discipline comprising as its core logic, aesthetics, ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology
a : a system of philosophical concepts b : a theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought <the philosophy of war>

quote from the very definition that YOU provided; "exclusive of medicine, law, and theology".

is theology not religion?

Many people who have personal experience with God of course disagree
with you. Why do you presume to tell everyone else that they cannot
know God despite their experiences to the contrary?

i presume to tell nobody anything. a question was asked in the op. the only presumption i made was to answer the question as i see it. that i think the human mind incapable of knowing such things as god is no different than you thinking the human body is incapable of flight.

How do you know that others cannot know? Do you have proof that
everything about God is unknowable? This I find implausible.

laugh

yes. put up a smiley face laugh if you think such adds to your point. it doesn't ofcourse but put it up anyway. obviously i don't know what others cannot know. i don't recall saying i know anything. i've simply tried to answer your question as best i could using my own thought process. of course you seem to already have all the answers so i wonder why you began the thread in the first place.

Religion (which is at it's core philosphical) has plenty of good
answers and there is no good reason to ignore that and focus solely on
non-essential dogma, rituals or perversions of religion like jihad or
the crusades for example.

i realize that you and many, many others consider religion, especially your chosen religion, to be philosophical in nature but not everybody agrees and certainly the definition that you yourself posted illustrates that quite well. yes, religious dogma does provide some good answers regarding ethics but it fails miserably in others. and the good answers to ethical questions can all be elsewhere the most obvious being just plain common sense. a typical example of where religious dogma fails is in the golden rule. why do unto others as you'd have others do unto YOU when you can do unto others as others would have done unto THEM? yet countless people of faith spend their lives thinking of how they themselves like to be treated and rarely give a thought to how others wish to be treated. why is this? because it's part of the learned dogma, of course, and not part of simple human common sense thought.

1 2 7 8 9 11 13 14 15 24 25