Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 07:23 AM

And the ***** of it all is the SCOTUS has ruled that the American people have no say in any of this, that congress is the supreme power 2nd to the SCOTUS!

in which case has scotus ruled "that congress is the supreme power 2nd to scotus"?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 07:14 AM

arrogance is when you feel sure of others lack of equal skill or ability

could not dissagree more. in handball, i seek out my opponents weakness in a certain ability relative to my own. perhaps his relative weakness is in his knees and he's not as capable as me chasing down pass shots and i am quite good at hitting powerful well placed pass shots. am i being arrogant when i run him around the court with pass shot after pass shot in an effort to play to his weakness with my strenght?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:59 AM

*shrug*

I'm no scientist, but if you have a better theory in mind, let's hear it. Even a quick google search can show the multiple things that indicate a big bang, i.e an expanding universe, comsic background radiation, etc.

Though I will definitley concede my point about the scientific community being completely open to new ideas. It IS true, many in the field are hardened and prideful intellectuals.

Infinite multiverse. Anything along those lines is better than "suddenly there was a bang and the universe/reality existed." ^above cyclic theory, which I will read about in the morning when I'm not sleepy, sounds similar to what I'm trying to say.

but infinite multiverse does not me the requirements of a SCIENTIFIC theory;

'a good theory will describe a large range of phenomena on the basis of a few simple postulates and will make definite predictions that can be tested. if the predictions agrees with the observations, the theory survives that test, though it can never be proved to be correct.'

stephen hawking, the universe in a nutshell.

does your infinite multiverse "theory" describe a large range of phenomena on the basis of a few simple postulates that will make definite predictions that can be tested? if so, what are the predictions and have they been tested and found to be predictable and repeatable as is in the case of the big bang theory?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:51 AM

(bolded for emphasis) Really? The best? I don't think so, I think it's kind of a "the world is flat" theory, you know, allegedly the one where if asked what the world was on top of the reply was a giant turtle which, if asked what it was on top of, was ultimately an infinite number of giant turtles.

the world is flat thinking was never a scientific theory and even if it was considered such by some it has been found to be flawed. but if the big bang theory is not the best science has at the moment, which scientific theory do you see as better?

And the notion that the scientific community won't scoff at plausible theories with supporting evidence is misguided. In my experience, my grandpa being a physicist by college degree, scientists and such intellectuals can be some of the biggest stick-in-the-mud know-it-alls you will ever meet! Grandpa would rather call Steven Hawking thick than reconsider his most loved theories.

well i don't think what you experienced with your grandpa is a true representation of "the scientific community." which of hawking's theories would your grandpa not reconsider? though degreed, did grandpa actually work in theoretical physics in the capacity of phd as hawking has for decades?

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:50 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Tue 11/15/11 06:52 AM

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:24 AM

Behavioral expectations are subject to cultural relativity, especially after language acquisition becomes a dominant 'force' in thought/belief. It does not follow that there are no universally shared behavioral expectations, if by "universal" I mean belonging every thinking human subject.

quite conflicting statements. on the one hand, you say that behavioral expectations are subject to cultural relativity. in that i agree. but then you say, 'it does not follow that there are no universally shared behavioral expectations." in this i dissagree. name one UNIVERSALLY shared behavioral expectation.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:16 AM

After my accident; I gained weight as I couldn't walk. My ex called me fat and although it was true; I thought he could have said it more in a tactful way.

it was being laid up in a full leg cast for six months that got me into eating right and lifting weights. the result was three inches lost around my waist. i'd been dragging the ex out on hikes and kyaking but with me imobile she put on thirty pounds.

jrbogie's photo
Tue 11/15/11 06:06 AM
seem he's aasking if drone attacks are acceptable, why isn't waterboarding.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 11/14/11 10:38 AM

There is a big difference in the opinions of the GOP candidates
concerning waterboarding. Some feel it is illegal torture, some say they would implement this procedure if in the white house.

I think anything that puts the fear of god in you (so to speak) is a form of terrorism and torture.

What say you?

what i say is of little cosequence. we have laws because we all rarely agree on what should and should not be. having said that, i think where aggressive interrogation ends and torture begins is not well defined in a legal or a moral/ethical sense. waterboarding is extremely uncomfortable and terrifying, so i here anyway, but so can depravation of sleep which is a common interrogation technique. neither does permanent physical harm. i would not want to be calling the shots when it came to interrogating a suspect when the information sought would be in the interest of saving lives. but i can see that tough choices are often presented to interrogators and policies regarding such tactics should be decided by people more informed than myself. fortunately, though not perfect, we have a fair representative republic as our governing system in america and my view is we mostly, not always, take the moral and ethical path when it comes to things like this. good enough for government work you might say.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 11/14/11 09:59 AM

Just want to throw out the topic here. I would like to focus upon what the necessary preconditions are in order for us to form and maintain behavioral expectations of ourselves and others, in addition to inanimate objects as well.

highly subjective to each individual. that's why we have laws. accepted behavior varies among each of us.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 11/14/11 06:13 AM
haven't a clue what i'm looking for. when i find it i'll know it.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 11/14/11 06:09 AM

Confidence crosses the line and becomes arrogance when you exercise your confident nature at the expense of another.....

well said

jrbogie's photo
Sun 11/13/11 06:13 AM

Technically if a person spreading a lie believes what he is saying then they themselves are not lying.

technically then, they are not spreading a lie, they are spreading less than factual information. to tell a lie requires intent.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 11/12/11 06:40 AM
i love my bacon crispy.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 11/12/11 06:15 AM
teadipper, i think you just discovered the main difference in men's and women's thinking. you gals are the nurturers. have to fix everything. that's why so many treads started by women here involve a man not being what she want's him to be and this thinking that she can change him for the 'better' ends up looking to him like he'll never be good enough. we guys can be as stubborn and set in our ways as the most unruly canine but like women we want to be loved for who we are. now that you understand that, go with it and you won't be single for long.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 11/10/11 07:11 AM
hmmmmm. i think it moreso that gravity bends SPACETIME. spacetime resembling a membrane with space and time interwoven if i'm not mistaken. i've not heard the concept that gavity bends space or that space bends time.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 11/10/11 06:55 AM
cool. i can stand on my head and my feet will die before my brain. every moment counts.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 11/10/11 06:49 AM
i bit. doesn't sound like same king in the least. always fun to reread the doi though.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 11/10/11 05:59 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Thu 11/10/11 06:02 AM

Noone expects an accident in a car or an illness on their life, but who should be paying the price when it happens? those who took precautions or those who felt like it wouldnt happen to them?

This is a different issue. If I don't have insurance and I don't have money to pay for medical treatment only I suffer.

If I get in a car accident and hurt someone else and don't have money or insurance they are hurt but I am legally responsible for them and can't pay anything. See the difference?

No edical insurance only effects yourself. No car insurance effects any driver you have an accident with.

this is not true. you are discussing direct PHYSICAL harm.

Financially though, the prices for those who take the responsibility to have auto insurance have their rates increased to cover the prices of all those who do NOT have insurance or pay their bills.

similarly, costs are increased for health insurance to help cover the uninsured and those who dont pay their medical bill when an accident or unexpected illness occur that the hospital is obliged by law to treat in an emergency room.

so where will the penalty taxes that the uninsured pay go? not to the insurance companies. not to the hospital emergency room that's required by law to treat the uninsured. it all goes to the treasury for congress to spend at will.

just like fines for driving without insurance dont go to insurance companies, its there as a deterrent/motivation,,,

we have the liberty to freely chose not to buy auto insurance by simply chosing not to drive as million in america do quite legally. they break no law in chosing so and pay no fine or penalty. these people do not affect insurance premiums because they don't compound the risks that insurance companies take on. no risk because these people don't drive. one cannot be liable for a driving accident if one doesn't drive.

but the topic does not concern our constitutional rights to drive a car does it? it concerns our liberty and freedom to chose to not buy health insurance for whatever reason. we cannot opt out of living as we can opt out of driving a car so insurance companies and health providers will be impacted financially when the uninsured are treated. those uninsured did pose a financial risk to the rest of us and the insurance companies and the providers, no different than now, btw, and yet the penalty taxes go to the government. so what happens next? you guessed it; premiums for the rest of us will ries to offset insurance losses and health care will become even more expensive because hospitals and doctors will need to recover loses as well. and yet the penalty tax goes into the treasury to be spent at congress' will.

obama care changes nothing as regards the financial operatings of the health care industry. it's simply a scheme to raise taxes. insurance premiums will continue to rise as will the costs of health care and we will have sacraficed yet another liberty not to mention more tax dollars for government to waste.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 11/10/11 05:17 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Thu 11/10/11 05:21 AM
having actually been a soldier i'll leave it to the lesser experienced of you to ramble on about such issues and simply enjoy the weekend's salute to veterans.

bestinshow, so now your son's friend has become a part of this government that you seem to despise so. does that make him a criminal too? afterall, nazis used the, "i was simply following orders" defense at neuremberg, no?

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 24 25