jrbogie's photo
Mon 10/24/11 06:32 AM

Nope.
If they have stated a preference that
rules me out, I rule them out.
Period.
People shouldn't have to overcome
other people's prejudices.

i couldn't agree more. i see profiles as similar to classified adds. some people have something to sell, others have something they want to buy. when i'm looking to buy a used car i don't look in the 'used cars wanted' section, instead i go to the 'used cars for sale' section. if i'm to click on the 'send message' thingy i'll do so because i see something that i like. i'm not about to click it because i meet a requirement or preference.

but hell, rarely do ladies reply to my messages and i can't think when the last time someone just messaged me out of the blue anyway so what do i know, huh?

This thread wasn't about emailing someone because you meet a requirement of theirs. It was more about if you see something you like, do you ignore their preferences if you don't fit into them?

For example, I state what age range works best for me. However, I often receive messages from much older or much younger men trying to tell me that age is just a number, despite what I've written in my profile. For some reason, they seem to think they my preferences do not count for them.

I know that I could set a filter for age, but I enjoy chatting with all kinds of people from the forums, so I am not going to block certain ages from contacting me all together.

it's quite clear to me that the thread asks this question; "If someone has preferences listed in their profile, do you pay attention to them, or do you hope they just won't matter?"

i answered the question as best i could as reagards to the attention i pay to the preferences of others. as far as seeing something i like; IF and that's a big IF, i can get past the preferences i suppose i might send a message anyway. but i won't simply ignore the preference. i simply do not care to read what women want in a man. in a profile i want to read that a woman is what i want in a woman and no, i'm not at all sure what that is either. the point is that a profile must cause me to want to take the next step and reading what she expects is not likely to do that.

jrbogie's photo
Mon 10/24/11 05:54 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Mon 10/24/11 05:58 AM

Nope.
If they have stated a preference that
rules me out, I rule them out.
Period.
People shouldn't have to overcome
other people's prejudices.

i couldn't agree more. i see profiles as similar to classified adds. some people have something to sell, others have something they want to buy. when i'm looking to buy a used car i don't look in the 'used cars wanted' section, instead i go to the 'used cars for sale' section. if i'm to click on the 'send message' thingy i'll do so because i see something that i like. i'm not about to click it because i meet a requirement or preference.

but hell, rarely do ladies reply to my messages and i can't think when the last time someone just messaged me out of the blue anyway so what do i know, huh?

jrbogie's photo
Mon 10/24/11 05:27 AM

i don't see much of a difference between any of the religions, assuming that is that we accept the definition of religion as based on a belief in a deity, god, supreme being, etc. they are all inventions of mankind to provide answers to questions for which there are no answers.

You could say the same of "Philosophy" but both Philosophy and
religions address important issues of ethics, the nature of humanity
and our relationship to the rest of the world.

no, you could say the same of philosophy. i wouldn't. perhaps religions do address issues of ethics but that does not mean they address those issues in a way that everybody can agree is ethical. ethics are best addressed by thought within each individual. when we look to dogama, religious or otherwise, for ethical standards, we tend to fail at ethical reasoning on our own such as happened in the crusades, the inquisition and now this jihad humanity must indure.

In short, I think you are wrong that all of the questions addressed
by religion or philosophy have no answers. There are useful answers
about what is right and what is wrong and why. There are points of
view which put our significance and insignificance in perspective.

To say that questions concerning these issues have no answers is
extremely simplistic and not true in general as I see it.

i never said that philosophy has no answers. you tied philosophy and religion together, not me. why we're even discussing philosophy when the question is about different religions is beyond me. the question of god, a deity, a supreme being, etc. which all religions must address simply have no answers. the human mind simply is incapable of knowing the existence of god, the afterlife and other supernatural phenomena. of course you think i'm wrong. takes an agnostic to think i'm right.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/23/11 05:00 AM
i don't see much of a difference between any of the religions, assuming that is that we accept the definition of religion as based on a belief in a deity, god, supreme being, etc. they are all inventions of mankind to provide answers to questions for which there are no answers.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/23/11 04:48 AM

how so?

Because if you don't believe anything, and question everything, then the answers would only give you reasons to believe, which you don't do, so why ask questions.

Example 1:
Bogie: What time is it?
Anyone: five thirty.
Bogie: I don't believe you.
Anyone: Okay.

Example 2:
Bogie: The soup is too salty, isn't it?
Bogie's mother: No, deary, it is not.
Bogie: Mom, I don't believe you.
Mother: (Sez nothing, her shoulders droop.)

Example 3:
Bogie: I don't believe anything, and question everything.
Other forumer: You don't do that.
Bogie: How so?
Other forumer: Coz you ask quesitons. If you don't believe anything, then why ask?
Bogie: I can't believe this.

absurd analogies.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/22/11 07:56 AM

If you have not run an experiment it does not mean the concept is invalid...

it'd be difficult to count the number of experiments that have been conducted at altitudes all the way up to the very top of the atmoshpere. but it's not my burden to prove your concept. you inherited the burden of proof when you began this thread. science and scientists, even amatures, live to pick apart new concepts. that's what science is all about. somebody like you comes up with an idea. somebody like me challenges you to prove that you're idea will work. perhaps you've thought of something that i haven't. great. then show me what i've missed but i can assure you that i and others here feel that you've missed quite a bit and it centers around the time that the craft must cease relying on the balloon to remain aloft until it exits the earth's atmospere completely. as a retired pilot who's flown as high as fifty one thousand feet i can assure you that the higher you go the more problems you encounter when it comes to generating lift. and without lift you've no means to accomplish this 'spiaral maneuver' you keep talking about. you say this all can be done. great, prove it to me and i've financial sources who we can take it to and we'll all be rich.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/22/11 07:42 AM

]
'Lift' will not get you to orbit. Thrust such that your velocity equals the velocity needed to attain a particular orbit. (Or escape velocity if you want to go further) 'lift' has no value in space. (plus some ability to manuever)

of course lift has no value in space but you mentioned the craft 'spiraling' upward in the thin atmosphere at a high altitude. how does the craft perform this spiral maneuver without lift? how does it fly through the upper reaches of the atmosphere? will your craft rely on thrust alone?

it's obvious even to nasa that the less a craft must travel through the atmosphere, especially the lower reaches, the less power it takes to reach outer space. we saw that when the x15 was dropped from a high flying b52 as early as the late fifties. and of course of late we have rutan/branson and their scheme to launch after piggy backing to altitude. but all of still requires a great deal of thrust in order to leave earth's atmosphere and those craft never reached near the speed required to orbit. perhaps if you gave us an idea of the craft you intend to haul up with the balloon would look like. then we could talk about it's feasability as a space craft. but just say it will spiral up until it reaches speed says nothing at all. how will it perform this spiral maneuver?

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 08:14 AM
sure it does.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 07:17 AM

However, there is a dark side to this mythos. Which is this... if anyone can win through hard work and effort, anyone who doesn't win, therefore deserves to be poor.

rarely have i read anything more absurd on the forums.

you dont believe that people are of the mind that those who are poor 'deserve' it for not working hard enough?

believe nothing. said it's absurd.

ok. The notion is an absurd one. IT seems to be reflected in statements like Herman Cain's

' “Don’t blame Wall Street. Don’t blame the big banks. If you don’t have a job and (if) you’re not rich, blame yourself.”

a sentiment I have heard repeated by minglers as well

hardly a reflection of what cain said. the national parks employ about a third of their workers each season from foreign countries simply because they cannot get enough americans to work. when i spent a summer at mt. rainier my neighbor was there from spain so he could at least earn enough to pay his mortgage so his family would not lose their home. i see people on unemployment who simply will not work until their benefits run out. blackberries are rotting on the vines and farmers are going bankrupt in georgia because illegals have left the state because of increased immigration inforcement and no americans will lower themselves to pick the berries. cain never suggested that the poor are to blame for being poor. what he meant was that the first place to look when you're down and out is at yourself and what you are doing to correct the problem. if everybody accepted their share of personal responsibility unemployment figures would improve dramatically.

except he didnt say if you are down and out look at yourself

he said if you dont have a job(which the economy is set up to make sure of a certain percent NOT HAVING JOBS) and arent rich (as if thats what unemployed people are concerned about, and as if RICH doesn't actually REQUIRE some people to be poor and therefore not something that everyone can have),, BLAME YOURSELF

totally disregarding any potential responsibility held by the system itself

as to farming and national parks, not everyone even lives in an area where those industries hire, so that paints all unemployed with a pretty big and inaccurate brush,,,

oh i can assure you that the people who come thousands of miles to work in our national parks don't live in the area. still, they come to work. i think a survey would be in order to determine what percentage of the unemployed are doing to better their education and qualifications. my guess is that it's a very small number. sure, you'll say that that takes money but it costs nothing to read up on many work skills on the internet. fact is, industries are changing and workers can adjust to the change or not work. i stand by my point that were more prsonal responsibility excercised in this country the unemployment rate would drop dramatically.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 05:19 AM

However, there is a dark side to this mythos. Which is this... if anyone can win through hard work and effort, anyone who doesn't win, therefore deserves to be poor.

you dont believe that people are of the mind that those who are poor 'deserve' it for not working hard enough?

ok. The notion is an absurd one. IT seems to be reflected in statements like Herman Cain's

' “Don’t blame Wall Street. Don’t blame the big banks. If you don’t have a job and (if) you’re not rich, blame yourself.”

a sentiment I have heard repeated by minglers as well

hardly a reflection of what cain said. the national parks employ about a third of their workers each season from foreign countries simply because they cannot get enough americans to work. when i spent a summer at mt. rainier my neighbor was there from spain so he could at least earn enough to pay his mortgage so his family would not lose their home. i see people on unemployment who simply will not work until their benefits run out. blackberries are rotting on the vines and farmers are going bankrupt in georgia because illegals have left the state because of increased immigration inforcement and no americans will lower themselves to pick the berries. cain never suggested that the poor are to blame for being poor. what he meant was that the first place to look when you're down and out is at yourself and what you are doing to correct the problem. if everybody accepted their share of personal responsibility unemployment figures would improve dramatically.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:37 AM
at least the walmart checkout line is shorter with all the protesters on wall street.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:35 AM
it'd take till the end of time to read it all.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:34 AM
the inquisitors sure thought they understood the bible.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:31 AM

One example of thought/belief that is void of mental correlation would negate the claim.

Got one?

huh

sure. to think there is a god requires mental correlation. to believe there is a god requires no mental correlation. requires faith.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:21 AM

that's the problem. the 'slowly builds momentum' part. how does the craft stay in the thin air after release from the balloon until it finally builds orbital speed? what provides the lift required while it slowly spirals into orbit. three g's is about what the shuttle astronauts experience during launch and can hardly be called 'slowly building momentum'. have you ever felt 3 g's? imagine your body weighing three times what it weighs. no human has ever withstood three g's for ten hours. not even close. i wonder how fast the shuttle would be going if it could maintain that acceleration for eight to ten hours especially once it reached thin atmosphere and beyond? likely millions of mph if you did the math.

at any rate, there is simply no way to deal with lift in an atmosphere, especially a thin atmosphere, that does not involve lots of airspeed. in any atmosphere there are four forces acting on an aircraft. gravity [load factor], lift, drag and thrust. until the craft has escaped the atmosphere and reached orbital speed drag must be overcome by thrust and lift must counter gravity if the craft is to remain aloft. i can think of no way for a craft to slowly build momentum from zero airspeed when released from the balloon to orbital speed without an adequate amount of lift. and in a thin atmosphere the slightest amount of lift requires alot of airspeed.

You don't use "lift" to propel a rocket, you use thrust.

of course you don't use lift to propel a rocket. you don't use lift to propel anything. lift is used to counter the effect of gravity or accelerative force. it requires twice the lift to maintain a level sixty degree banked turn than the lift required at straight and level flight for instance. for a rocket, or any powered craft, to accelerate upward without lifting devices such as wings will require thrust in pounds exceeding the weight of the aircraft in pounds. that's what's been forgotten here. how to produce the lift to maintain the craft aloft while it accelerates in the amosphere. if we had some idea of what the craft would look like, we could more readily talk about drag, thrust, lift and the affects of gravity and acceleration.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/21/11 04:09 AM

Was not three G's of thrust... It was POINT 3 G's (.3g). You do not slow down in the atmosphere. You sprial in to a point where your deceleration puts you at a 'slow' ground speed and simply 'ease' into the atmosphere. Altitude at which 'drag' from atmosphere and thrust balance is 75 miles (roughly). Altitude reached by the students was 100 thousand meters. Atmosphere at that altitude is not even holding the balloon well. It poses no large 'friction' factor. Baloon is not in 'tow' it must be an intergral part of the structure. (which would require some method of evacuating a portion of Helium to prevent baloon 'bag' from bursting once orbit is achieved).

ah, my appologies. i did miss the decimal point. okay, let's assume .3 gs acceleration. first of all, ground speed has nothing in the least to do with anything. when speaking speed as regards aerodynamics, airspeed is all that matters. with any increase in airspeed, there will be an increase in drag equal to the airspeed increase squared. that means if you double the airspeed you will QUADRUPLE the drag coeficient. when you do finally reach the point where drag and thrust balance, as you say '75 miles [qoughly]' all accerleration stops. when lift balances out weight and thrust balances out drag the aircraft is in a state we refer to as "straight and level unaccelerated flight." think of an airliner cruising at altitude.

the point being, how do you maintain even .3 g acceleration while the craft is in the atmosphere? as far as i know, ion propulsion is an idea for use in outer space where there is no atmosphere. we have electric motors that can produce much more than the .3 g's you're talking about to accelerate to the point that thrust and drag are in balance. that's the problem. you need a propulsion system that can produce enough thrust that drag NEVER balances out so that you can leave earth's atmosphere.

i think where you're having a problem is with your thinking of engines producing x number of g's or acceleration. propulsion systems do not measure power as such. weight, altitude, temperature, or being in outer space will all play a role in the ammount of acceleration any given craft will maintain. you say an ion engine will maintain .3 g's acceleration for eight to ten hours even in the upper atmosphere but you've not explained how it will do that. for an aircraft to maintain acceleration it must have an engine powerful enought to overcome the greatly increased drag that builds up as the airspeed increases. if that were a simple matter i can assure you that boeing would produce an airliner that can do just that. fact is, it ain't a simple matter.

I said .3g's of THRUST. (much different than acceleration). Sir I know this is possible. I watched a demostration by MIT students a few years ago in which the students tested an Ion engine. (at sea level in California - would this not be IN ATMOSPHERE) that engine burned far more hours then the 8 or so I think would be required (and at a far higher thrust than .3g's. Acceleration would be slow to build up in the upper atmosphere. However once it did it would no longer BE in atmosphere and drag then becomes a planetary phenom that has no bearing. You dont THRUST with the Ion Engine until the balloon reaches the altitude where drag caused by friction is at the best ratio versus your structure.

as massagetrade said. acceleration IS measured in g forces. you feel 1 g on you right now meaning you are affected by an accelerative force of one g as gravity accelerates you toward earth. propulsion is measured in pounds of thrust. an increase in drag is always directily proportional to the increase in airspeed squared no matter how high up or thin the atmosphere is. to maintain any excelerative force, .3 g's or whatever, will result in an ever increasing airspeed along with four times increasing drag. there is no 'best ratio' for drag caused by friction that i know of. a ratio of what compared to what? drag everywhere increases with the square of the airspeed increase. i don't care how high in the atmospere you go, as long as you remain in the atmosphere induced drag, [that produced by angle of attack], form drag[produced by the aircraft structure] and parasite drag [produced by engine nacelles, attenaes, etc.] will continue to build as airspeed increases. it would require an engine producing an ever increasing thrust/weight ratio in order to maintain acceleration at .3 g's for for any extended period of time while operating in even the thinest atmosphere. during a shuttle launch the thrust/weight ratio is ever increasing as the engines burn off heavy fuel and the craft becomes lighter. that's why it can maintain the approximately 3 g's acceleration to escape earth's atmosphere.

and you still haven't explained how you'd slow your craft down from the approximately seventeen thousand mph required to sustain low earth orbit to re-enter the atmosphere without very heavy thermal protection which would add to the weight of the craft. i can assure you that if there were a means of lowering the effects of drag, heat, friction, etc., the airlines and nasa would have been all over it by now. but drag will not just go away and it's affect as airspeed increases will always remain the square of the speed increase.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/20/11 04:03 PM

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/20/11 06:43 AM

Was not three G's of thrust... It was POINT 3 G's (.3g). You do not slow down in the atmosphere. You sprial in to a point where your deceleration puts you at a 'slow' ground speed and simply 'ease' into the atmosphere. Altitude at which 'drag' from atmosphere and thrust balance is 75 miles (roughly). Altitude reached by the students was 100 thousand meters. Atmosphere at that altitude is not even holding the balloon well. It poses no large 'friction' factor. Baloon is not in 'tow' it must be an intergral part of the structure. (which would require some method of evacuating a portion of Helium to prevent baloon 'bag' from bursting once orbit is achieved).

ah, my appologies. i did miss the decimal point. okay, let's assume .3 gs acceleration. first of all, ground speed has nothing in the least to do with anything. when speaking speed as regards aerodynamics, airspeed is all that matters. with any increase in airspeed, there will be an increase in drag equal to the airspeed increase squared. that means if you double the airspeed you will QUADRUPLE the drag coeficient. when you do finally reach the point where drag and thrust balance, as you say '75 miles [qoughly]' all accerleration stops. when lift balances out weight and thrust balances out drag the aircraft is in a state we refer to as "straight and level unaccelerated flight." think of an airliner cruising at altitude.

the point being, how do you maintain even .3 g acceleration while the craft is in the atmosphere? as far as i know, ion propulsion is an idea for use in outer space where there is no atmosphere. we have electric motors that can produce much more than the .3 g's you're talking about to accelerate to the point that thrust and drag are in balance. that's the problem. you need a propulsion system that can produce enough thrust that drag NEVER balances out so that you can leave earth's atmosphere.

i think where you're having a problem is with your thinking of engines producing x number of g's or acceleration. propulsion systems do not measure power as such. weight, altitude, temperature, or being in outer space will all play a role in the ammount of acceleration any given craft will maintain. you say an ion engine will maintain .3 g's acceleration for eight to ten hours even in the upper atmosphere but you've not explained how it will do that. for an aircraft to maintain acceleration it must have an engine powerful enought to overcome the greatly increased drag that builds up as the airspeed increases. if that were a simple matter i can assure you that boeing would produce an airliner that can do just that. fact is, it ain't a simple matter.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/20/11 06:17 AM

Ok. Let's get back on topic...

Belief requires mental correlation. I am inclined to conclude that there are one in the same thing. I think that there is a necessary causal connection. Perhaps it be better put, thought/belief requires a certain chain of events which happen in a specific order.

you keep coming up with 'belief requrires this' or 'belief requires that' and seem to expect the rest of us to accept YOUR requirement as some kind of law of physics. that's the essence of the strawman argument. taking off on a premise that has not been accepted and running with it. establish that belief requires mental correlation in all of us or that belief requres a certain chain of events which happen in specific order and THEN we have something to discuss. and you're still combining "thought/belief" as if they're one and the same. another not accepted premise.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/20/11 05:52 AM

1 2 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 24 25