Community > Posts By > LarchTree

LarchTree's photo
Wed 10/07/20 03:10 PM
Following the covid hygiene of the average person, in the US, the risk of dying on any given day from Covid is 0.000,3%.

On any given day that you go kayaking on a river, the risk of death (ie.,from getting your foot stuck on the bottom of the river in flowing water) Is 0.003%.

LarchTree's photo
Wed 10/07/20 02:35 PM
Edited by LarchTree on Wed 10/07/20 02:36 PM
A survey within the United States found that only 20% of the people reported that the pandemic has significantly affected their life.

That’s not to say there won’t be determinable trends in changes of land use.

LarchTree's photo
Wed 10/07/20 10:45 AM
Edited by LarchTree on Wed 10/07/20 10:46 AM
Love, yes.
It would be hard to find someone who does not love you.

Trust, no.
Have sex? Not with love but no trust.

Dudes would be too afraid of what ever happened to the guy before.

An alternative? Find friends - of many different types of people, men and women, and be aware of people you respect and appreciate. Make several (more than one) close friendships, and be involved with a community that looks out for you.

LarchTree's photo
Wed 10/07/20 07:41 AM
Edited by LarchTree on Wed 10/07/20 07:42 AM
Want to be a partner for life?

I’ll give you five minutes to reply.

rofl

waving

LarchTree's photo
Wed 10/07/20 05:43 AM
Edited by LarchTree on Wed 10/07/20 05:53 AM
I would not be surprised if it was in an assassination attempt. Some paparazzi spritzing him from upwind. No one would ever know.

Trump may be tyrannically anti-tyrannical, but the Trump haters are tyrannically anti tyrannically anti-tyrannical.

He should have just rested let his body’s biology handle the virus undisturbed. I am not a fan of the drugs he used on himself to shake the virus. That will likely cost him more life/ quality of life in the future.

LarchTree's photo
Tue 10/06/20 02:09 PM
Or paying attention at least

LarchTree's photo
Tue 10/06/20 02:05 PM
Computers are very precious equipment and it makes a dramatic show when people use them as a punching bag.

When people talk to each other, the activity in their brains mirror each other. When people talk to the computer, sometimes they think of it is a human, and expect it to automatically do what they wanted to do When people talk to each other, the activity in their brains mirror each other. When people talk to the computer, sometimes they expect it to be like a human and automatically do what they want it to do. I will say though, that when troubleshooting the code of a computer program, it actually does feel like the computer is reading my mind.

LarchTree's photo
Tue 10/06/20 10:12 AM
And by the way, I’m not freaking out about it, I’m just looking out the window on the road trip of time.

LarchTree's photo
Tue 10/06/20 05:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwzYhVL5Sc

REPLY TO TOPIC <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks for the video :) Well timed :smile:

LarchTree's photo
Mon 10/05/20 06:10 PM

No ghost towns....

Lockdowns will be defeated either by a resistance or by a cure.

The environment won't change much, maybe at the start - but we'll revert back to the same kind of workplace, commerce and other interactions that the officials are trying to condemn - after the solution presents itself.

Our behaviours will more than likely evolve. Maybe to something similar to Japanese, where there's bowing or something less involved as a handshake. Maybe people will be more mindful of being in another persons personal space. Might not be the 6 feet, but not close enough where you can smell the dude's breath. Stuff like that

That seems the most likely. It is a constitutional right everyone knows and values to peaceably assemble.

When I am outside I’ve seen enough people socializing to know that they are not letting any authoritative recommendations take out their social presence. Of course, there is not as much risk in all practicality outside. Personal space is not as cramped plus the uv in natural sunlight shortens the half life and total life of the virus not to mention the ventilation.

When it comes to resource scarcity, land in the city is one of the highest. This is a strong force that may affect what businesses may take hold. The demand is now much higher now for a scarce resource. When this happened back in England during the age of exploration, it was followed by migration and pilgrimage. Cities have always tended to be more democratic and the surrounding county more Republican. But when I walk downtown now, the people I see congregating outdoors at the restaurants look like government-resistant Republicans who appear to be getting the most out of their time together.

Other than the outdoors becoming more popular, I don’t see much building change except amenities like doorknobs. People may want to live closer to their workplaces. Commercial retail was on a downward trend before the pandemic because of the increasing popularity of delivery and more globalization of information on the Internet, there may be more of a shift towards physical services.

LarchTree's photo
Mon 10/05/20 10:46 AM
Edited by LarchTree on Mon 10/05/20 11:20 AM
Compared to the ecological benefit of entire mountain as habitat Instead of MTR coal mine, what is a few birds? There are light and sound signal systems that signal to the birds “unsafe obstruction.” That will keep most of them out. As for the unfortunate occasions, just use them as an excuse not to be vegetarian for the day.

LarchTree's photo
Mon 10/05/20 10:30 AM

Oil and gas is not ideal for the electric grid because it is needed for mobile industrial equipment and will run out in the next 60 years.

The predominant uses of electricity is in buildings. Somewhere between half and 95% of electricity is used for Heating, cooling, and lighting. Lighting can be reduced by using more natural sun windows and red LED lights at night. Geothermal systems can store heat in deep wells in the summer and use it in the winter, compared with traditional systems that release the heat to the outside air. These are all components of green buildings.

Nearly half of electricity is lost in transmission so I find it hard to believe half to 95% is used for heating. To find a better way to transfer the electricity could make a huge impact. Some natural gas is used to produce electricity and some coal. The burning if coal can be done fairly efficiently with new technologies, however you will always have those trying to do things as cheap and easy as possible. We have natural gas and petroleum to last more than 60 years, the problem is it becomes more expensive and disruptive to get it. People often over look the fact that much of the plastic is also made from petroleum and simply reducing the number of plastic shopping bags is hardly going to make a difference. Hydro power and electricity has been used for hundreds of years, but now they are worried about the fish and other things impacted. Wind farms have disrupted migratory birds, any thing that people come up with have pros and cons. Since Covid people have not been flying as much and this is causing the global warming to increase because the haze for the airplane emissions has been greatly reduced allowing more solar to make it to the earth, in return we have more fires in western US and people running more AC for cooling. So to make dramatic changes very quickly could cause many more problems short term then they benefit in the long term. A much better way to control energy use or pollution is to control the population.

What I meant to say is, 95% of electricity is used for lighting and all temperature control combined, including refrigeration, water heating, air heating and cooling.

Yes, not only is half electricity lost in transmission, about half is also lost in the conversion of energy type, as a general rule. The one exception is the conversion to the thermal heat, which is 100% efficient regardless of if it is made by combustion or electrical resistance, provided the heat doesn’t go out the window. Now the really big power plants can do a little better than half because it is easier to keep all the energy contained in one place, so with the two conversions of thermal to mechanical rotation and mechanical to electrical, the efficiency is About 37%. If you include the loss from transmission in the lines, it is about 19% efficient.

One could put a windmill at every house and connect the driveshaft directly to the compressor of a geothermal heat pump, and by taking electricity out as the middleman, it would be four times more efficient.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 05:51 PM
Acknowledging I have no experience with this whatsoever, it seems to me possible that neither party may be at fault. Suppose they mutually agree to part ways and have a peaceful going away party.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 05:44 PM
Edited by LarchTree on Sun 10/04/20 05:45 PM
Maybe if they physically leave expressly never return or communicate, but legally keep you on the string.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 03:41 PM
Oil and gas is not ideal for the electric grid because it is needed for mobile industrial equipment and will run out in the next 60 years.

The predominant uses of electricity is in buildings. Somewhere between half and 95% of electricity is used for Heating, cooling, and lighting. Lighting can be reduced by using more natural sun windows and red LED lights at night. Geothermal systems can store heat in deep wells in the summer and use it in the winter, compared with traditional systems that release the heat to the outside air. These are all components of green buildings.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 02:27 PM
Edited by LarchTree on Sun 10/04/20 02:56 PM

…and I suppose if you mention the word "nuclear" you do so at your own peril. The fact that a reactor produces next to nil greenhouse gases always seems to be overlooked by the "green" fraternity. Yes there is nuclear waste that has to be disposed of like burying deep down in a geologically stable environment. Yes the operation and the design of the plant is critical for safety reasons but hey, the world has come a long way from the days of Chernobyl (them slack Ruskies again) and Fukashima (site, site, site - build on the rock and not on the sand). People, more lives are lost through conventional mining than are lost through nuclear accidents. And what would you prefer to have in your backyard, a small HELE reactor or an ugly, abstentions wind farm or acres of solar farm panels?

The main problem with nuclear power is uranium mine tailings. What you end up with is radioactive particles in downstream waterways and fish areas after the heavier rainfall events, and large areas fenced off around the mine due to risky levels of radioactive particle bearing dust. It is very hard to have a clean uranium mine or have it in a place where the residents in the same watershed will not be up in petition against it.

It is a good idea though. It is still a better alternative than coal. But oil, and even better natural gas, are better alternatives than uranium.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 01:58 PM
Edited by LarchTree on Sun 10/04/20 02:19 PM

Suicide. If your dead you wont use coal and you wont pester those who do with your self righteous BS.

I have nothing against people who use coal. If it weren’t for them, wouldn’t even have a war room.

However, you bring up an interesting point and that is population curve. The freedom of women to be independent citizens of a supportive community, so that they can contribute to others in other ways than having children, is good for that purpose. As internet dating and socializing become more popular, there may be ways to make people happy without having children, unless they have particularly unflawed genes and really want to.

LarchTree's photo
Sun 10/04/20 05:03 AM

But I will not convince anyone that I am not pretending.

For the record, I never thought you were pretending to begin with.

It was nice talking.

LarchTree's photo
Sat 10/03/20 06:04 PM
Of course smile2

Made me a little nervous but it did make me think.

LarchTree's photo
Sat 10/03/20 05:41 PM
And who’s to say pretending is not a good thing anyway? I mean a fire drill is pretending and that’s important training.