Community > Posts By > GreenEyes48

GreenEyes48's photo
Sun 03/10/13 03:29 AM

If a man wants a relationship with me, he has to give up his Online women friends. I do not consider women he chats with online are his real true friends. Online men usually talk to several women at a time. I do not have time to have a "relationship" with a man, who is not willing to give that up. I won't be on a Dating site, when I have a "relationship" . Maybe a "forum" but not on a Date site.

toody... I think I'm going to faint... you are the first woman to state this emphatically... and it's so good to know that I am not the only woman that thinks and feels this way... good for you... :thumbsup: flowers

If a man is still on any Dating sites when he already Chose a woman he wanted to be in a "Relationship" with, then something is wrong with that. bigsmile Remember, I am not talking about a Man, who is dating, there is a big difference in dating and in a real "Relationship". I don't think a Serious Man would have to be asked to give up his Dating sites . He would just do it. Imo
I agree with you.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 12:11 PM
AthenaRose...I'm probably out of my realm when it comes to these type of situations...I was never involved with men who were big flirts...And there were no rivals waiting in the wings who wanted my man...YUK! It all sounds like a "soap-opera" to me! Or "stuff" people might go through in high-school...Come to think about it I did have a (supposedly) best friend in high-school who went "after" a guy I was dating behind my back...When I found out I stopped seeing my friend and the guy and just started "going it alone" most of all...And this is how I am today..Mostly a loner. I just see friends or step into "groups" once in a great while...So I'm not really part of what goes on in "mainstream society" (or life) very often.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 08:20 AM

One guy told me has purposely brought up religion and politics cause the girl will drop any act and show her true self. It maybe a good thing to bring it up early on in a relationship since faith and political beliefs play big roles in people lives. Having different beliefs can create problems if not address. That is my two cents and some of you may say that is all I have. :tongue:
It can be a "shocker" when things come-up at a later date and a big "bubble burster."...Of course some people may not have strong opinions or beliefs that dominate their lives so it wouldn't matter so much...I wouldn't do well with a man who expected me to play-out the traditional female role in a relationship so this is a "biggie" for me...I don't want to give any "false impressions." (Of any kind!)...But I don't want to come on like "gangbusters" either and insist that all the "cards" be put out on the "table" on a first date....This is why I don't date!.. I'd rather just be friends with a man first with no pressure about anything!

One thing that makes it nice about these dating sites is that people can put many of the things that are important out front and the threads allow for discussion of different views. Plus some site like OKCupid and help match people up based on their questioner. Although none of this is a guaranty that you will be perfect for each other.

I love the word traditional because it really depends on what point of reference you go to. After all what are the traditional rolls? In most places, it is the man and woman sharing the work load and raise a family. It varies from culture to culture.

Being a Biblical Christian and not a Religious Christian my traditional views are different. I’ve seen women through out the Bible hold many roles like teachers, pastors, prophet, generals, business owners and I believe there is even one that was a dean of a college. Even in my house, my dad has helped with the choirs and cooking. Mom has helped with the yard upkeep. Both of them have work, though now my mom has retired. As you can see my traditional views are different from others.
Thanks for sharing your views and background...I grew-up in a home where I was expected to form theories and opinions of my own at an early age. (Even if my views seemed "at odds" with my parent's existing views.)...The emphasis was on "thinking" and questioning things and expanding our minds in one way or another...As a child I was expected to keep-up with current events. (On a national and local and even global scale.)...I enjoy studying various cultures and even "family dynamics."...My parents took pride in being well-rounded (and even "interchangeable") way back in the fifties. They didn't want to let their gender hold them back when it came to pursuing their interests or learning new skills etc...I think we should pay attention to politics. If more people started paying attention then politicians would face "accountability" on a mass scale... Public outrage (and involvement) could stop a lot of the corruption...How do you feel about it? Thanks.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 07:33 AM

I've given up the idea of dating anyone from this site because there aren't enough active members living in my area. I'm hear to learn. There is an abundance of writers here.

I'm also here to find out whom I share similar interests with. I'm finding out who likes me based on thoughts revealed in my posts. It's so much easier to meet people here. I mean, consider the difficulty of starting conversations from scratch with complete strangers IRL. Seems like a lot of effort. Here, at least you know what is being talked about and you can express the thoughts that are relevant to a topic that you like.

I only read a profile when I want to send an email to someone.
Great post! And you're right...It is hard to bring-up a wide variety of topics with people in "real life." (Strangers or even friends.) Everyone is busy and conversations may be limited to "basic things."

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 06:58 AM

I think you will find that some people are competitive and some are not. Their perspectives will reflect that part of their personality.

It sure does make sense that we are competing for attentions so neither side is wrong of course, but I happen to be a non-competitive person and truly beleive that if he's into me, he will want to be with me, not because Ive said or done anything that the 'competition' has done, but simply because we have chemistry or friendship that is special to each of us.

I like how you put it, kic... that a man will want to be with us because of our chemistry and the "special" friendship we share with them... I'm not competitive either, and rather than fight for a man's attention, once he makes it clear that I'm not important to him, I walk away so he can be with somebody he will truly love and respect.
I'd walk away too!

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 06:54 AM
AthenaRose..I guess I look at it this way..If I'm thinking in terms of "rivals" and competition the odds are that I will attract a man who subscribes to these same kind of views too...My husband's first wife had several affairs in the last years of their marriage. But my husband treated it as an "isolated situation" and didn't expect me (or all women) to have affairs...He looked back and tried to figure-out why his first wife had the affairs. He felt that he (and she) had started focusing too much on their kids and being parents (through the years) versus keeping their "couple love" alive and well...They tried counseling but the gap between them had become "too wide" and in the end they decided to end their marriage...My husband tried to learn from his earlier mistakes and we both worked to keep love and romance "alive" in our marriage...He wasn't a "womanizer" type of man and didn't want to be! It wasn't his nature.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 06:34 AM

One guy told me has purposely brought up religion and politics cause the girl will drop any act and show her true self. It maybe a good thing to bring it up early on in a relationship since faith and political beliefs play big roles in people lives. Having different beliefs can create problems if not address. That is my two cents and some of you may say that is all I have. :tongue:
It can be a "shocker" when things come-up at a later date and a big "bubble burster."...Of course some people may not have strong opinions or beliefs that dominate their lives so it wouldn't matter so much...I wouldn't do well with a man who expected me to play-out the traditional female role in a relationship so this is a "biggie" for me...I don't want to give any "false impressions." (Of any kind!)...But I don't want to come on like "gangbusters" either and insist that all the "cards" be put out on the "table" on a first date....This is why I don't date!.. I'd rather just be friends with a man first with no pressure about anything!

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 06:08 AM

AthenaRose...I agree with all you wrote...My husband and I just enjoyed making each other happy...We weren't "stingy" or "cheap" when it came to "giving" or "doing" for each other. And I'm talking about "everyday caring" and emotional support. (Not just "giving" in terms of money and material possessions.)...I think people can sink into a state of "poverty consciousness" without realizing it and become "stingy" with others. Have you noticed this?...People like this have trouble giving anyone else praise or credit or compliments (or a pat on the back) when it's "due."...They take the attitude: "Why should I lift a finger to help anyone else? Nobody helped me! Nobody gave me credit for anything."...And they become bitter and "hard" through the years and wonder why none of their relationships "work-out" or "last.".. Kind of sad. Isn't it?

Yes it is sad... the descriptive words that comes to my mind in processing your words is, "selfish and envious"... meaning... people who only focus on their own wants without regard for others, often become envious towards anyone that gets what they themselves want, but can't get without being fake and manipulative... negativity just makes my head spin... scared
I agree with you...Secure men don't need to "hold" their wives "back." They don't need to be the (absolute) "top dog" in their marriage or relationship...All of this "stuff" is based on a sense of competition and insecurities. Don't you think?...Even parents can try to "hold" their kids "back" in subtle ways if they are insecure and need to be the "top dogs" of their family. Or they fear abandonment etc...Have you noticed this?...Our families are suppose to be "safe harbors" when we can relax and grow and "thrive" and achieve our potential in life...If we're surrounded by loved ones who are insecure this can really stunt our growth and put us in a "bind." Don't you think?...What do we do? Should we be "true to ourselves?" Or should we "hold" ourselves "back?" (To supposedly "protect" a loved one's fragile and "shaky ego?")...Thanks for your great responses!

I understand what you are saying because of the great relationship you had with your last husband… I can’t tell you enough how much I envy your good fortune… :wink: But, I have to be honest and say that I have never been with any man that did not want to hold me back for his own selfish reasons, in one way or another. Even the men that gave me more freedom by pushing me in the direction they wanted to see me go, eventually became envious of the attention I was shown by other men, and even women, and was constantly getting even with me by flirting with, or putting other women ahead of me in his respect… mens fragile egos when it comes to their possessive natures, in that they want to keep what they have to themselves, is something I will never whole heartedly understand, because they don’t allow us the same latitude with them… Men want to be free and to be trusted with said freedom, so they can cheat or flirt, or whatever pleasure it is they derive from being unfaithful to any degree in their relationships, while they expect us to toe the line so they don’t have to feel the sickness of jealousy…. So, until I get fortunate enough to meet a man that doesn’t have insecurity or power struggle issues, I can’t definitively give advice on something I haven’t experienced yet in all my 30 years after I became sexually active. Now, however, at 51, my life circumstances have changed, and I’m no longer dependent on a man for stability and support, so I will stay true to my own values and standards… and if any man tries to play me in any way, I will quit him and move on… this might sound harsh, Claire, but men seem to be confused about what it is they want out of, and in their lives, and what their personal contributions are to attain their goals… so at times they play games they think they can win… then when they lose, their pride is bruised and they want to blame the women for being a step or two ahead of them… I have a hard enough time protecting my own fragile feelings from the storms of others, so if a man wants to be with me, he’d better have enough of his own character strength, that not only will I not have to hold him up from breaking down, but that he will have extra to hold me up when I need his emotional support… that’s what I want in a man, and I won’t settle for less.. why should I?
I had some dysfunctional relationships earlier in life but nothing (quite) like you've described. Anyway I hope you meet a secure and self-actualized man in the future who won't feel jealous or threatened by your successes in life.

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 05:53 AM

I can't imagine being with a guy who is constantly complaining about women blabbering too much. Or about unnecessary talking.

Maybe the guy just can't communicate so that is why the girl is doing the talking. I have found through my own experiences most men simply don't know how to communicate very well.
I think it's about communication but maybe it's also tied to being well-rounded and having interests in many different areas...My husband took pride in having broad interests. So he could engage in interesting conversations with men as well as women...He actually felt that some men could be too "limited." (Limited to conversations about sports or cars or maybe their stock holdings or jobs etc.)...And some women "limit" their conversations to their kids and grandkids or maybe clothes or styles or "house stuff."...Men and women who have broad and varied interests seem to do better when it comes to conversing with the opposite sex. Don't you think?

GreenEyes48's photo
Sat 03/09/13 05:39 AM
To be honest I don't want to think in terms of "rivals" or "cutting out" the competition...I wouldn't want to be this way with a man. And I wouldn't like it if a man acted this way with me either...I agree with what the guys wrote. I don't want to go on a "chase" and try to "rope and tie" someone...Or make demands. Or push someone in a "corner" and force him to make choices...This is not my style...There are tons of men "on the market." (And women too!)...I'm just not into trying to force someone's "hand."

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 09:43 AM
My first husband made his friends "all and everything" for many years. (We were both young when we got married.)...I was disappointed because my first husband wasn't much of a "family man" and we had two small children...He opened-up with his friends but not with me...I guess it made him feel like a kid again to go off and play with his friends. Married life and fatherhood probably made him feel "old" when he still wanted to be "young" and "free."...Anyway we really weren't close at all during the last few years of our marriage. Sad!...But later in life we became friends again due to our sons...My "last" husband wanted to enjoy life with me. And this was nice. We stayed best friends until the day he died.

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 07:35 AM

AthenaRose...I agree with all you wrote...My husband and I just enjoyed making each other happy...We weren't "stingy" or "cheap" when it came to "giving" or "doing" for each other. And I'm talking about "everyday caring" and emotional support. (Not just "giving" in terms of money and material possessions.)...I think people can sink into a state of "poverty consciousness" without realizing it and become "stingy" with others. Have you noticed this?...People like this have trouble giving anyone else praise or credit or compliments (or a pat on the back) when it's "due."...They take the attitude: "Why should I lift a finger to help anyone else? Nobody helped me! Nobody gave me credit for anything."...And they become bitter and "hard" through the years and wonder why none of their relationships "work-out" or "last.".. Kind of sad. Isn't it?

Yes it is sad... the descriptive words that comes to my mind in processing your words is, "selfish and envious"... meaning... people who only focus on their own wants without regard for others, often become envious towards anyone that gets what they themselves want, but can't get without being fake and manipulative... negativity just makes my head spin... scared
I agree with you...Secure men don't need to "hold" their wives "back." They don't need to be the (absolute) "top dog" in their marriage or relationship...All of this "stuff" is based on a sense of competition and insecurities. Don't you think?...Even parents can try to "hold" their kids "back" in subtle ways if they are insecure and need to be the "top dogs" of their family. Or they fear abandonment etc...Have you noticed this?...Our families are suppose to be "safe harbors" when we can relax and grow and "thrive" and achieve our potential in life...If we're surrounded by loved ones who are insecure this can really stunt our growth and put us in a "bind." Don't you think?...What do we do? Should we be "true to ourselves?" Or should we "hold" ourselves "back?" (To supposedly "protect" a loved one's fragile and "shaky ego?")...Thanks for your great responses!

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 07:01 AM

Marriage is still a thing but there's really no stigma about having children out of wedlock now and you can have all of the commitment without the piece of paper. Women like the idea of having their "big day" where they are the centre of attention and everything is just how they want it. Part of it is just about trying to keep other people happy or doing what other people do. They get married in a church when they aren't actually religious. They wear a white dress. It all costs money just to make a public decleration and have a party.

Some people don't want to get married ironically because they don't want to be taken for granted. A lot of that is due to feminism. It isn't just that women want to retain their independence though. They want their men to keep making an effort and they like all of the romantic stuff, while a lot of men just want someone to have their children and cook and clean and be available for sex when they want it.
I don't think all men and all women are exactly the same...Life would be easy and simple if this were true...I am not a fan of big and costly "show-off" kind of weddings and I'm a female...My husband and I (willingly) shared the cooking and household chores and he was definitely more romantic and sentimental than I was. (When he was alive.)...And our marriage lasted nearly 25 years...I think it's all about being "flexible." And recognizing when we're getting stuck in "ruts" and possibly stunting our growth and blocking growth in our marriage...No one wants to feel taken for granted and treated like an "old shoe!" (Neither men or women want this!)...I agree with you. There isn't a big stigma attached to just "living together" these days. A lot of couples play "musical chairs" and move in and out of relationships. I feel concerned for kids who are born out of all these "temporary unions." But then again some marriages don't last very long either. Right?

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 05:55 AM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Fri 03/08/13 05:59 AM
Most of us probably got "nagged" at times by our parents or "lectured."...Back then we were small and our parents held all the "power" and "cards."...I think some people create or end-up in parent/child relationships with their spouses (or mates) as adults...And it doesn't have to be this way. I certainly wouldn't want to turn my husband into my "father" and play the role of "child" in my marriage.....And I wouldn't want to be married to a man who played "rebellious (and resentful) teenager" all his life either. (Where I was expected to step-in and play the role of his "mother.")...None of this is healthy or appropriate for adult relationships. We aren't really "kids" anymore and don't need "parents."

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 05:25 AM

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 04:50 AM
I wouldn't mind discussing politics on a first date as long as things didn't get "heated." I wouldn't mind hearing about someone's spiritual beliefs and their philosophy of life etc....Of course I'm a nerd!...Early-on I think my husband and I discussed the effects of "sprawl." And US "isolation" versus the push for globalization...He explained why he crossed-over and voted for candidates outside his normal political party...We talked about immigration and "you name it!" And all of our discussions were respectful and "friendly." We "compared notes" and gained new insights from each other all through the years...I dread going on dates again. (Unless I meet a man who enjoys discussing a wide variety of topics.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Fri 03/08/13 04:20 AM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Fri 03/08/13 04:23 AM

Many relationships end because one partner is selfish and not willing to compromise. When a person compromises it maybe in a number of areas of the couples lives. When one person gives in more often than the other person, they do not have a very good partnership. Unfortunately, many couples end in divorce after a while. Many last for years in that kind of situation though.
I agree...To me loving someone is wanting to see them happy!.. Of course no one should have to be "selfless" and do all the "giving" or "sacrificing." (As you mentioned.)...And being selfish and self-centered isn't the answer either...There has to be a sense of compromise and wanting to see the people we love "happy." Don't you think? Otherwise a relationship is doomed to misery and failure...Some people do seem "in it" for themselves and really don't know what it means to be caring and supportive. Sad!

Greeneyes, from what I have read of your posts about you and your husband, many couples should follow this example, of mutual respect and I am sure there would be lot less divorces. Many people perfer to stay Single after divorce, because they know that once they move in with another partner, that it may be chaos, probably not be mutual respect for long. Some people out there, hide their real self and selfishness.
Thanks...I had some dysfunctional relationships earlier in life but I tried to learn from my mistakes and grow (and "heal") through the years...My husband did the same thing. (On his own before we met.)...I wouldn't date a man who was carrying around a lot of "old baggage" or "grudges" from past relationships. This would be a big warning sign to me...Most of us have experienced disappointments in the past. (In relationships and just in general.)...But I've always tried to process and "work-through" all of my hurts and "wounds" and anger and disappointments at some point. (Because I didn't want to be miserable and unhappy for the rest of my life or "sour" or negative etc.) How do you feel about it? Thanks.

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 03/07/13 05:58 PM
Edited by GreenEyes48 on Thu 03/07/13 06:00 PM

Men talk to share information.

Women talk as a form of social interaction.

Men don't talk as a form of social interaction and women don't share information?

Seriously. This is the problem with generalizations. Many generalizations are true - as generalizations, and not for all individuals all the time.

I do think, at least in the mainstream culture of the early 21st century US, that men are more likely to talk more often for information, and women are more likely to talk more often to a feeling of connection or sharing with the other person.

But everybody does both at times, and many women and many men don't fit the generalization.

Once people start thinking like the stereotype is a good way to think about individuals, there is the problem of prejudice.
I'm more of a loner and don't hang-out with friends all the time or "do groups."...When I'm around some of my female friends they make jokes about their husbands or "all men" at times...And I've heard men speak in generalities and use derrogative terms towards their wives or "all women" in general too...This is why my husband and I didn't socialize very often. We didn't want to be pulled into "group think" or all the "slurs" towards the opposite sex...We wanted to be free to be happy together and best friends!...I didn't realize that the old "battle of the sexes" was still playing out to such a large degree until I joined this forum. (After my husband passed-away.)

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 03/07/13 05:43 PM

Men talk to share information.

Women talk as a form of social interaction.

You left out the fact that plenty of men talk a lot because they enjoy being the center of attention.

If you don't believe me, then you should hear some of the preachers and politicians that I've heard.

Don't many women do the same? These aren't gender specific examples.

Then there is your example of unnecessary talking - when the purpose of talking is to be the center of attention.

What is necessary talking, then? Do you guys like to sit around in silence? Is that what this is about? I'm not quite sure what this thread is really about, I guess.
It went from women being "blabbermouths" and "nags" and branched-off from there.

GreenEyes48's photo
Thu 03/07/13 05:37 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head Greeneyes; it was like walking on eggshells. I also didn't appreciate him saying I was nagging when I only asked him once after waiting for two weeks if he would put the shelf up. I can't see how that is considered nagging. I just asked in case he forgot but he flew off the handle. He was removed from my home after he hit me from behind so I guess the warning signs were there over the shelf situation. I would ask him to help with the chores like mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage but he wouldn't even do that. I never realized how lazy a man can get until I lived with him. He wasn't the only one that was like that so I got used to doing things for myself. My friend Lee is an exceptional man and when he offers to do something for me or help me with something; he actually does in and in a reasonable time. However; men like him are very rare.
Sorry you got hit and went through so much mental stress in the relationship...Glad you got rid of the guy!...I read a good book years ago called: "The Grown-up Man" that really spelled things out..It was written by John C. Friel Ph.D. (A male psychologist.)...The author admits that he didn't always act grown-up or treat women very well in his earlier relationships but he went through a transformation later in life. And his current marriage was much happier and more rewarding...There are lots of other good books out there too...I read a lot of books since I had 2 sons. (I was a single parent.)...Plus I majored in Child Development when I went to college the first time...There's a lot of wonderful information "out there." But most people tend to "parent" their kids the way that they were "parented" themselves and don't search for additional information. Have you noticed this?...Glad you have Lee in your life. Sorry about all the problems you encountered with the other guys.

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10 11 12 24 25