Community > Posts By > rpwolff

rpwolff's photo
Mon 04/05/10 10:33 AM
Well, thanks all. But, I think I got my head on straight now. 1) I met a young lady that was having alot of trouble in her life. I didn't like what I saw and thought she deserved more. So I did what I could. 2) Now she has been introduced to a friend of mine that she has been attracted to, plus her previous bf is trying to be there for her.... I think her life looks better, so, my work is done................. Andy, something you said in your letter makes me think that you think I don't function "downstairs"... I do. My legs are messed up; that's all.... I also want to point out that when she learned about the DUI incident and how I care for others; her respect for me grew... Kinda like my sister who, one day when I was younger said, "Geez, I have alot of respect for him. Here he is, disabled, fighting an up-hill battle; and he's out there helping out people who are fully able to take care of themselves, if they would just get up off their lazy butts."

rpwolff's photo
Sun 04/04/10 10:10 PM
here's my deal. I had made this amazing friend. Everyone thought we were a sure thing and would probably fall in love sooner or later. Now, I learn that she broke up with a guy two months ago and also found that Friday she had just learned that she is pregnant. I felt like leaving, but thought that I would miss her friendship too much. Anyone wanna hang out, or at least give me some guidance on this issue? Really hurtin'. Could use a friend.................Heres the story. Now, I am in a wheelchair and stuff (later on I'll explain why I told you that). OK. A few months ago she dated a guy. Two months later, she noticed that they were too different. Now, I met her, and she completely blows me away. Her personality is so excellent and everything. Plus she's the most beautiful thing. It's been pretty amazing hanging out with her and stuff.......Now, we started making plans to hang out alot this summer.....OK; fast forward to a few days ago. She had to keep running to the bathroom to throw up. I asked her why she didn't call in sick if she didn't feel well. That's when she told me that she'd have problems for the next nine months. Later she told me about the previous guy in her life and how she didn't want to marry him. I immediately felt that maybe instead of going through with our plans to hang out this summer; maybe I should turn away and give this guy a chance to hang out with her. I mean he is trying to be there for her and take care of her. But then, I also would hate missing out on the fun things we had planned... Now, the whole problem is that I do not want her fate sealed like mine was. I woke up in a hospital bed one morning after being hit by a drunk driver, and I knew my life would never be the same. I missed out on alot of fun in my life; do I dismiss our plans and have her miss out on the fun we could've had, or do I stay between her and the father of her child?

rpwolff's photo
Sun 04/04/10 08:36 PM
Had this amazing friend; everything was goin great. Alot of people thought we were in love. Now all the sudden we find out tht a guy from her past got her pregnant (and man does it get complicated from there). Wanted to split, but thought that I'd miss her friendship too much. Does anyone on here wanna hang out. I think I need someone.

rpwolff's photo
Sat 08/22/09 07:33 AM
Thanks for the ideas Kim. BTW, has anyone been paying attention to the legality stuff? Last I heard, the AAIC had been trying to sew people for this stuff. The last I heard; 1) when stuff is released to the public, it's released. 2) if your downloading audio or video, you are not getting top quality. 3) unless you download stuff, burn it to a dvd and sell it at a profit you're not really breaking copyright laws.... The list goes on and on. There is one site that distibutes stuff, and they say it's legit. As for me; I'm just in a wheelchair. I just can't get out much, kinda tied down and don't get out much. As for ethics. I don't think it was ethically right for some lady to be driving while she was still under the influence. But, my beliefs are; "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." and remember, "as you judge; you shall be judged." I'm not real big on religon, but, these are two of my biggest beliefs. All I do know is after the last AAIC incident; alot of the issues were dropped, and all the people that were sewed got their charges reduced. It's probably still not the best thing to do. But then.................................

rpwolff's photo
Fri 08/21/09 10:20 AM

I would not only be careful with torrents but also with posting about the use of them you have posted here.

You see while torrents do not get the movie from a single source as a way to get around copyright infringement laws. What you are suggesting that you do is still considered a violation of the copyright & patent laws. It is also morally and ethically wrong to do such a thing.

If you wanted to buy a movie legitimately or even rent one go through a company like netflix. You should not be downloading movies or music for that matter prior to it being released in disk format for sale.

Actually I believe this topic is in violation of the rules of this site as well.

sorry, I was acctually looking for something that would charge me a fee to download movies. Here's the deal. I wanted to see the new star trek movie without paying a 15 dollar cab fair to see a movie that would cost me; I think tickets are about 10 bucks now, and then 15 bucks to get back home. The 10 bucks I have no problem with. The other 30 bucks is what I am trying to avoid.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/20/09 01:12 PM
hey; lets epand this. Tell me what your favorit bittorrent client is and why. Vuze is the most widely used one, and I can't figure out why. I use Utorrent.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/20/09 12:21 PM
I am kinda limited in my mobility. I could pay a cab 15 bucks to go to a theater, and then pay 5 bucks to see a movie. There are other alternitives to the cab, but, I pretty much would rather not go there. I'm into this downloading torrents thing. Netflix is fine if you wanna wait until stuff comes out on dvd. I just don't like the cab fair. Does anyone know how I can download torrents of movies. I'm looking for a way to watch movies on my computer. I wouldn't mind buying a 5 dollar torrent, to see a movie.

rpwolff's photo
Fri 08/14/09 09:46 PM

Thomas, thanks for the info, but, IBM wanted way to much information before letting me dl Lotus Symphony. I put open office on my system again and played around with it. Finally got it to do what I wanted. Hopefully now I can find a good email client, so I can scrap Outlook; but, I need the calendar. Thunderbird and endora don't have a calendar. WLM does, but I can't figure out how to get the holidays on it.

99% of the time you can lie on all those registration requests. I do 99% of the time. In this case, they don't need the truth or even a real email.

usually I do. This time I was just to stressed to play the 20 question thing. I filled out 3 questions, got to the next page, 5 more questions, next page, more questions. Finally, I just said, "what the ***?" and gave up.

rpwolff's photo
Tue 08/11/09 10:34 AM
I know msconfig will not eliminate the problem. Since I don't know the parameters of everyone's computer; I'd be very hesitant to tell people what files to eliminate. I also agree with you about system restore. That's not always the best answer.

rpwolff's photo
Sun 08/09/09 11:22 PM
Thomas, thanks for the info, but, IBM wanted way to much information before letting me dl Lotus Symphony. I put open office on my system again and played around with it. Finally got it to do what I wanted. Hopefully now I can find a good email client, so I can scrap Outlook; but, I need the calendar. Thunderbird and endora don't have a calendar. WLM does, but I can't figure out how to get the holidays on it.

rpwolff's photo
Sun 08/09/09 11:06 PM

msconfig fixes 94 percent of all computer problems. The only question I have is why msconfig has a startup tab. Windows allows you to put stuff in the startup folder; so why is there a startup tab in the ms configuratore? If you put something in the startup folder that already starts in the configuratore, wouldn't that just cause problems?

Msconfig doesn't really fix anything, it can stop whatever is running from running but it does not eliminate the problem. Makes it easier to fix the problem though, without the program running most scans can pick them up easier.

The startup tab is for killing programs from running I believe, pretty much selective startup and the likes (only essential programs run).

I agree with Fear-
MSCONFIG doesn't actually FIX anything... it just gives you the opportunity to remove programs that you didn't realize were in the startup-group in the first place, that you wouldn't be able to rid the system of if they were running. That's their Hook - You didn't REALIZE that they were running - You Certainly didn't ASK 9/10 of those Programs to run!
Personally.... I've never seen the Reason for the "Start-Up" Folder.
There are ever only a few things in it - Verses the TON on things that always appear in the MSCONFIG Menu.
Shutting off almost all of the Start-Up Items will undoubtedly make any system run faster.
My Question is...
WHY does the Decision to be in the Startup Group get automatically MADE for the Computer User?!?!
The Less Savvy User has No Clue they're there, but why doesn't more software give you a Choice if you want it there or not?
I'm speaking of things such as Adobe, Quicktime, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Anything AOL Puts out, Printer/Scanner software... the list goes on....

This is what I'm saying............... When I have a customer tell me that thier computer freezes; I always mention msconfig, Most people have no knowledge of that. msconfig is suppose to let you load and run a program faster. But, by doing that, it screw stuff up. And fear is right. Half of the programs come with a setting. I have 3 programs that don't. But, alot do.

rpwolff's photo
Sat 08/08/09 02:03 PM
Direct's problem may well be that she has a anti-virus program running in the background and when this maleware stuff got on her/his system it tried to run a virus checker and conflicted with the main virus checker. One virus program is saying this isn't right, and the other is not allowing it to make a change. So the computer just freezes waiting for these two programs to "duke it out". BTW, tried dl-ing lotus symphony. IBM wants alot of personal data before you dl that. I wasn't to comfortable with that. So, I went to open office; got it to work the way I want, so, it's ok. So, does anyone know a good email client. I need the calendar stuff that outlook has. I'm not to happy with windows live mail, mozilla thunderbird doesn't have a calendar. I thought with all the info IBM wanted when I tried dl-ing ls; that I'd get alot of spam and stuff.

rpwolff's photo
Sat 08/08/09 01:39 PM
I'm not talking about registry stuff. I'm just saying that msconfig loads alot of crap that uses up memory and other resources. If you uncheck stuff in the startup folder of msconfig and tell the computer that you will decide when and if stuff runs; 1) your computer startsup alot faster, 2) it frees up alot of resources for running the type of programs that you do actually want to run. I still can not understand why you are told to add stuff to the startup folder in the start/programs/startup folder if you want a program to start with your windows, and then there is also a startup folder in the Microsoft Configurator. One startup thing should be good enough. I just usually tell customers who come in complaining about a program not working that I'm sure the program works, or, walmart wouldn't sell it. And that they probably have something running in the background that is causing a conflict, and that's when I say; go into the msconfig and remove all the checkmarks under the startup tab. By doing that, you're not deleting stuff; you're just telling windows that you will decide when programs start. I do use registry cleaners, btw. Tweak 7 is not that great, imho. Reg Tool is what I like. It's kinda good.

rpwolff's photo
Fri 08/07/09 12:00 AM

I want to use open office. I just can't seem to find some excel features. But, if you guys say they are there.... I guess I'll look harder.

It is free, so there is no cost to trying it out.

That's why I want to get rid of this Microsoft crap. But, I've installed OOO on my computer about 5 times and went back to excel.

while I like open source software, open office is one hell of a throwback. I don't like Microsoft software since they are overpriced, but openoffice is no competition. There gotta be other free office software or someone should get on it and start working, and no I'm not talking about piracy.

it seems to me that there are a few; doesn't sun have one. I think in thier war against Microsoft for taking java; I thought sun made a office suite,

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 11:53 PM

msconfig fixes 94 percent of all computer problems. The only question I have is why msconfig has a startup tab. Windows allows you to put stuff in the startup folder; so why is there a startup tab in the ms configuratore? If you put something in the startup folder that already starts in the configuratore, wouldn't that just cause problems?

i do not think it would cause a conflict. it really depends on how the software was written. usually any program that would cause a problem because of two copies running have a check built in that will not allow a second copy to start if one is already running.

But, Macfee and Norton anti-virus will both load themselfs in the msconfig file. Two anti-virus programs running at the same time can really screwup a system.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 11:47 PM

Msconfig doesn't really fix anything, it can stop whatever is running from running but it does not eliminate the problem. Makes it easier to fix the problem though, without the program running most scans can pick them up easier.

The startup tab is for killing programs from running I believe, pretty much selective startup and the likes (only essential programs run).

All I know is that I get lots of calls a day at the store asking me for advice, I always say clean out the msconfig, and that usually works. I always say that if they sell software, it must work, or they wouldn't see it. The reason that it may not work on one computer would be because you have too much crap running in the background.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 07:21 PM

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 07:10 PM

Direct-
First shut off Most of the things in your "Start Up Group"

Then try pretty much All of Thses Free Products- AFTER you Uninstall Norton

AVG Free Anti Virus http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html

SpyBot-Search & Destroy
http://majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_Tools_d2471.html

and Threatfire (Free Edition)
http://www.threatfire.com/download/

Just clean out your msconfig startup. It's a maleware program that faulsely reports more and more viruses until they get you to buy the software they are selling. You probably do not really have a virus.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 06:55 PM

I want to use open office. I just can't seem to find some excel features. But, if you guys say they are there.... I guess I'll look harder.

It is free, so there is no cost to trying it out.

That's why I want to get rid of this Microsoft crap. But, I've installed OOO on my computer about 5 times and went back to excel.

rpwolff's photo
Thu 08/06/09 05:28 PM