Community > Posts By > Tom4Uhere

Tom4Uhere's photo
Mon 04/25/22 01:08 PM
Forever is relative to the observer.
If one can see both the beginning and the end, forever does not exist.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Mon 04/25/22 01:04 PM

Only black holes have been proven to exist.

Yes, what people call "black Holes" do exist.
However, they are neither 'black' or a 'hole'.

They are called 'black' because the light event horizon prevents light from escaping the gravity well.
They are called 'holes' because matter and light disappears into the gravity well as if it falls into a hole.

However, if you consider stellar dynamics you will realize so-called black holes are actually supermassive white hot singularities.
As it gathers mass its gravity increases and so does its size. If it were a 'hole' it would not increase in size, matter would fall straight thru the hole.

The fact they increase in mass/size also means mass does not fall into it, mass is pulled onto it.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Mon 04/25/22 11:37 AM

The Last Ship (2014)
The series focuses on USS Nathan James aboard a lone naval ship looking for a way to save humanity following an apocalyptic viral outburst.
Actors: Sheena Chou, Zack Scott, Martin Harris, Alice Coulthard, Ariston Green, Murielle Zuker, Naomi Lull, Nick Jameson, Chris Sheffield, Andy Demetrio, Alfre Woodard
Genre: Drama, Action, War
Director: Steven Kane, Hank Steinberg
Release: 2014
IMDb: 7.5

Bones (2005)
Bones has a new story in every episode but always related to human bodies brought by FBI Special Agent Seeley Booth, in which a forensic anthropologist Dr. Temperance 'Bones' Brennan tends to solve the mystery.
Actors: Sarah Gaboury, Colby French, George Sharperson, Mark Casimir Dyniewicz, Michael Chieffo, Joe Duffy, Mercedes Colon, Laura Kidwell, Terrance Christopher Jones, Erica Juliet, Danny Woodburn
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Director: Hart Hanson
Release: 2005
IMDb: 7.8

WKRP in Cincinnati (1978)
Andy Travis, a young program director, has a series of wonderful comics that we live with differently. Andy trains Cincinnati Radio WKRP where he performs a completely flawed experiment by changing the format to rock and roll. It seems very strange, as Andy arranges the station to sponsor a major concert by the English rock group, which could cause a stir in the center where Andy lives.
Actors: John Witherspoon, Shony Alex Braun, Andrew Bloch, Bonnie Urseth, Art Metrano, Janet Meshad, Joseph Reale, Danny Openden, Joy Claussen, Joyce Brothers, Richard Stahl
Genre: Comedy
Director: Asaad Kelada, Michael Zinberg, Jay Sandrich
Release: 1978
IMDb: 7.9

Tom4Uhere's photo
Thu 04/21/22 07:10 AM
Defragmenting and running scans on my system (including the external drives). Then will be doing my quarterly backup.

Pricing yet another external hard drive (I filled up the latest 6TB drive). Thinking to buy a 4TB drive from walmart (Gotta go there anyway).

Lease expires May 1st.
Rent going up to $875@mo.
Gotta start reducing my possessions.
I figure about 1 more year here then time to move into a 1 bdrm apt. Don't really need a 2 bdrm or most of the stuff I've accumulated here.
With the hospital bills, money is getting pretty tight. Looks like its time to adjust my living standards again.

My gf's dad was in the hospital. Heart problems.
She is really stressed out and sad. This weekend will probably be heart-heavy.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Thu 04/21/22 06:46 AM

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/19/22 08:04 AM
So, lemme get this straight...

A spammer woke up a decade old dead thread and you guys think its an active thread because nobody seems to be posting anything actually worth discussing lately...Okay then

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/19/22 07:57 AM
In the morning: Coffee

In the Afternoon: Icy Green Tea

With Dinner: Milk

In the Evening: Ice Cold Water

On Occassion:
Alcohol: Spiced Rum & Coke
Beer: Rolling Rock or Genessee

Traveling:
Fast Food: DQ Chocolate Milkshake
Fountain Soda: (If they don't have Green Tea) - Medium Pepsi

Tom4Uhere's photo
Wed 04/13/22 10:21 AM
A couple more shows I've been rewatching lately...

Flashpoint (2012)
HDRip 7.80 Rating

When the Strategic Response Unit arrives, the rules change. The bad guy's caught - he just doesn't know it yet. The SRU, inspired by Toronto's Emergency Task Force, is a handpicked team of elite cops. High risk is their business and these men and women do it all: rescue hostages, bust gangs, defuse bombs. Talk down suicidal teens. Protect the Pope. They handle state-of-the-art weapons - sniper rifles, flash-bang grenades, tasers. They climb the sides of buildings. See through walls. But they're different from other SWAT teams. Because their arsenal also includes a gift for words. A knowledge of human intuition. An instinct for when it's time to negotiate - and when the 'solution' calls for something more. On the scene, they're in charge. No one knows their job better. SRU Constables outrank senior Inspectors - and the Inspectors don't like it. Regular uniforms grumble when pushed aside by the SRU 'prima donnas.' While secretly wishing they were in their place. It's a tough job. A job that carries the kind of pressure only your teammates - your band of brothers - can really understand. It's a stress that shades all your choices and can take a heavy toll on families, friends, lovers... These people are A-types and risk-takers. On the job, they play by the rules, bend them if they have to. But off the job, all bets are off.

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Action, Crime
Release: 2012-09-20

Director: Mark Ellis,Stephanie Morgenstern
Production: Bell Broadcast and New Media Fund, Avamar Entertainment, Pink Sky Entertainment

Cast: Michael Cram, Enrico Colantoni, David Paetkau, Sergio Di Zio, Hugh Dillon, Amy Jo Johnson, Tattiawna Jones

PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal (1998)
SD 7.20 Rating

A team of scientific researchers belonging to a scientific group that investigates reports of paranormal phenomena. A procedural format that follows a hand-full of characters on their assigned cases, the investigations would either be determined to have rational/explainable causes or be determined to be paranormal in-nature. Loosely inspired by a real-life organization and true-events.

Genre: Drama, Thriller, Sci-Fi
Release: 1998-09-27

Director: John Bell,Ron Oliver,Clay Borris,Giles Walker,Milan Cheylov,Stephen Williams,Craig Pryce,Allan Kroeker,Luc Chalifour,Marc F. Voizard,Ross Clyde,Ken Girotti,Will Dixon,Bruce Pittman,Randy Bradshaw,Aaron Shuster,Carl Goldstein,Douglas Jackson,Vincenzo Natal

Production: Alliance Atlantis Communications, Atlantis Films, First Television

Cast: Dan Aykroyd, Matt Frewer, Maurice Dean Wint, Anthony Lemke, Nigel Bennett, Michael Moriarty, Jonathan Potts, Colin Fox, Barclay Hope, Kathryn Winslow, Joanne Vannicola, Tamara Gorski, Peter MacNeill, Terri Hawkes, Scott Wickware, Nancy Anne Sakovich, Soo Garay, Hugh Thompson, Craig Eldridge, Paul Miller, Lisa LaCroix, Matt Cooke, Brian Heighton, Markus Parilo, Peter Blais, Lindsay Collins, Heather Bertram, Ted Ludzik, Michael Ricupero, Peter Kosaka

S.W.A.T. (2021)
HD 7.20 Rating

Inspired by the television series and the feature film, S.W.A.T. stars Shemar Moore as a former Marine and locally born and raised S.W.A.T. sergeant, tasked to run a specialized tactical unit that is the last stop in law enforcement in Los Angeles. Torn between loyalty to where he was raised and allegiance to his brothers in blue, Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson strives to bridge the divide between his two worlds and acclimate to his new duties as the legal guardian of a teenager. Hondo's elite unit includes David "Deacon" Kay, an experienced S.W.A.T. officer and dedicated family man who always puts the team first; Christina "Chris" Alonso, a skilled officer and the team's canine trainer; Dominique Luca, an expert driver who gets them in and out of high risk situations; Victor Tan, who started in the LAPD Hollywood Division and uses his confidential informants in the community to help the team; and Jim Street, the team's cocky newest member who is re-instated to S.W.A.T. after being fired for compromising the unit. Responsible for the management of all Metro Division S.W.A.T. units is Commander Robert Hicks, a senior LAPD official with the Special Operations Bureau. Following Captain Jessica Cortez's departure for the FBI, the Mayor assigns Lieutenant Piper Lynch to SWAT as a tactical consultant, where she challenges the team's field strategy, which raises questions about her loyalty. With Hondo leading the charge, these dedicated men and women bravely put themselves at risk to protect their community and save lives.

Genre: Adventure, Action, Crime
Release: 2021-10-01
Production: Original Film
Cast: Shemar Moore, Alex Russell, Lina Esco

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/12/22 08:59 AM
Dating sites are tools.
You use tools.

You don't look at a freshly rebuilt engine and admire the 5/8 wrench.

If you are trying to use a welder as a feeler guage you will not get the best results.

Bolting a horseshoe to your engine will not increase your horsepower.

Only you know what you need.
If you are not getting what you need...
...You're either using the wrong tool
or
You are using the right tool wrong.

Figure out what you want.
Figure out what you have to get what you want.
Figure out which tool will work best with what you have to get you what you want.
Ignore everything which will not work with that tool.

When I was looking for someone I had a lot of problems finding anyone because I was searching for anyone.
It wasn't till I chose to search for only one that I finally found someone. I found her using Mingle2.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/12/22 08:34 AM
Children are not a good gauge of character because they can be influenced by immediate gratification.

"I like him mom, he always brings me..." toys...cookies...games....whatever.

Before I married and had children of my own I thought kids were interesting and fun. Uncle Tom was always a hit with the kids. Always ready to go fishing, swimming, sled riding, trailblazing or any fun activity.

I had no real responsibility for their development.
I was fun.

After I had children (and the responsibility of them) I changed a lil. I was still fun but I had to limit my influence to be the responsible parent.
My kids friends thought I was awesome but they barely saw the reality of life. Still, over-all I was and still am good with kids.
I found out its okay to be friends with your kids but you also gotta be a parent to them too.

Being liked by a child is not always what is best for the child. Being hated by a child isn't good either. It should be an earned respect...Both Ways.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/12/22 08:18 AM
There's a difference between 'dating' and 'having an intimate relationship'.

For dating, I think the 'kids' should be at home or with a sitter. I also think if a woman is on a date with me she should be in the moment 'here' not 'there'.

If her kids are the only subject she will talk or think about on our date, that date...to me is a 'fail'.

Once committed to a relationship, part of that relationship involves accepting the whole person.
Children are part of who we are so accepting her children is part of the relationship with her.

In the natural animal kingdom, males often remove the offspring to bring the female back into heat.
From killing and eating them to chasing them away or ignoring their needs.

Civilized humans often act in contrast to natural behavior. Often it is integrity, responsibility and commitment which brings the female back into heat. Accepting responsibility for another's offspring has positive results.

The problem is humans also display different degrees of natural behavior and have the capacity to lie and 'act' to get a result.

"Sometimes" a male might say or act as if her children are important. They appear to accept responsibility for another's children to gain favor and acceptance from the female. Once she is 'under the spell' the integrity, dedication and respect fall away and responsibility is shucked.

If I were someone with children dating, I would be extremely wary of anyone claiming to instantly accept the responsibility of my family. That kind of trust must be earned with experience.
However, if I am just going on a 'date', children will be the last thing I'll focus on. The 'date' is not the 'relationship'.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Wed 04/06/22 01:32 PM

@Donnie, I worked full time as an auto mechanic from 1978 till 2004, I know carburetors well, although Japanese carbs have a few extra circuits in some cases that can restrict fuel or flood. pm me and I'll talk you through testing procedures.
Tom, mechanical fuel pumps are positive displacement pumps which by definition require no priming.

My bad - I meant the pickup line. If the pickup line has a hole in it (or a kink) no matter how much that pump moves it will never prime enough for a discharge.
It sucks air instead of fuel.
Mechanical pumps have no inlet check valve so some cranking is always needed but if there is a hole in the line, no matter how much you crank it, it won't get fuel. Simple hydraulics.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Wed 04/06/22 12:03 PM
Edited by Tom4Uhere on Wed 04/06/22 12:04 PM
Tony Tucker - The Trilogy

Sensual Rain (Water)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1c4Vh1uYAU

Earth's Journey (Earth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW9i4e0zp1A

Seductive Sky (Sky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNChNvUQ7s

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/05/22 11:15 AM
Most of the books I've read were hardcover without jackets.
When I belonged to the Science Fiction Book Club I bought books based on authors mainly.

When I converted to electronic format I reaquired the works I liked best and supplemented with more from the same author.

Many of the short stories I like have no cover art.

Recently I've been grabbing audio books. On youtube the cover art sometimes shows on the video but I don't 'watch the video' I listen to it.

The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_gqOk5A7T4

THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS - FULL AudioBook (by Kenneth Grahame)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3L62OomvQ

Jack Reacher Series Worth Dying For Audiobook By Lee Child
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2vFQR5o_s

Tom4Uhere's photo
Tue 04/05/22 11:03 AM
I currently stream free from about 11 different sites and have been for over a decade.
They come and go (over 100 sites in the past 10 years).
Ya gotta have an adblocker and good virus protection, close popups before they load and don't click on bait.

There's also free live stream sites which offer satellite channels, they usually have commercials and station breaks tho. Pluto and Comet are two off the bat. JTV was a big one that dried up a few years ago. Veoh, DailyMotion and FilmOn still exist.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Mon 04/04/22 01:08 PM
Commander Cody & His lost Planet Airmen - Hot Rod Lincoln
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ZycJC-pmo

Tom4Uhere's photo
Mon 04/04/22 09:20 AM
Sounds like you are in the reality phase of good intentions.

Properly caring for anyone of any age is exhausting.
Caring for a parent (elderly) can be challenging in even more ways. Even more if they suffer from health or memory problems.

You could look into CNA education which will give you the knowledge base of specialized care.
Do a web search for CNA training and read.

You might also research retirement home activity lists for ideas.

You should weigh your options.
Are you giving/can you give someone you love the care and attention they need?

As baby-boomers age into elderly needs many adult children are facing these same decisions. You might consider talking with a councilor. Not only about what your parent needs but what you need too.

From what you've wrote, I wouldn't depend too much on any help or support from your other family members.

I don't know the details of your situation...how old or how frail.

Some things you might consider (To get more 'me' time) is to give the parent something they enjoyed from their past.

-Television shows made today are different than those from my youth. I like to watch shows from my youth because I can not only remember them but I also identify with them and like they way they were made.
1. Game shows and soap operas were usually aired during the day.
2. Variety shows like Lawrence Welk and Red Skelton usually played during the evening.
3. Marcus Welby Md, Gunsmoke and Perry Mason were primetime.

Play some oldies music from their prime. Likely older rock & roll or pop. Look at billboard top 10 hits for the years they were younger. Try to stay away from newer stuff.

The foods you might call comfort food was what they had for dinner on a regular night. Try to remember they can't process food like you do. Nobody wants to eat bland foods, if you use spices, use them sparingly.

People of those by-gone eras enjoyed just sitting and talking. Since most of their friends are now dead and gone, take some time to just sit and talk with them.

Establish a pattern for these activities and don't forget to include allowing yourself time to recharge while they are enjoying their activities.

Parents are used to calling the shots, making decisions. Try to find something they can control, so they feel like they still matter. Just be prepared to go back and silently fix what needs to be fixed.

Give them a kid moment. Ask them for advice or how to do something. It doesn't matter if you already know what to do or how to do it.

As we age we lose abilities to do and feel the way we always did. We miss those old times and old ways. The world changes so fast we get angry or sad at the littlest things.
The small fragments of memory is all there is to grab a hold of to keep us from fading away into history. Like a drowning man grasping for a string.

When it comes to a point where you can no longer afford or continue to care for them, make the right decision and look into finding proper care for them.

Some assisted care facilities are bad, most are not. Do serious research into each one and check out many.

Try to remember time not only passes quickly for them but for you as well. Don't resent the ones you love because you gave up your own contentment to care for them.

Elderly care is backwards from raising a child.
Raising a child requires a lot of care at first with less care as the child ages.
Caring for the elderly requires less care at first with more care as they get older.

When it gets to be more than you can handle, Do The Right Thing. It doesn't mean you stopped loving them.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Thu 03/31/22 09:33 PM
I am trying to adjust to a different way of eating for a trip I am planning.

I used to do lots of long road trips.
I tried to eat at least 1 full meal withing 12 hours.
I used to snack on trail mix (a bag between my legs) kept the hunger at bay but also helped with staying awake.

I didn't drink much tho. Too many bathroom stops.
I kept a small cooler on the passenger seat with a couple bottles of gator-aid under ice. A few small coffee stops if I felt tired or highway hypnosis coming on.
No sugar sodas or teas with sugar.
No candy bars or potato chips (crisps) but sometimes I would snack on pretzel rods.

1. Avoid driving when you are drowsy or impaired in any way.
2. Avoid driving on the freeways when circumstances are adverse.
3. Enter the freeway safely.
4. Stay in a safe lane and at the right speed.
5. If you need to pass the other vehicles, pass on the left. Never pass on the right of other vehicles.
6. Leave a lot of room between your vehicle and other vehicles.
7. Do not drive in another vehicle's blind spot.
8. Scan far ahead for obstacles and traffic hazards.
9. Do not park on the side of the freeways.

5 Key Rules of the Smith System of Driving

1. Aim High

The first rule for this method is “Aim high in steering”. Staying alert of the dangers and traffic ahead not only avoids rear-end collisions, but also alerts other drivers behind your vehicle to slow down. The driver should steer and focus their attention high, so as to view the road as whole and not just a few feet ahead.

2. The Big Picture

“Be aware of your surroundings at all times” may seem obvious to say, but distracted drivers are
just as dangerous as intoxicated ones. Erratic and angry drivers take up a large portion of the traffic we see daily, so avoid major accidents by noticing how other drivers behave on the road. Having the whole picture means that you are doing your part to keep your vehicle as safe as possible while moving 1000 ft a second. There are a variety of hazards between your own vehicle and other drivers, and a keen awareness of these dangers will reduce these risks.

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving

The third standard of the Smith System asks drivers to remain alert. Energy drinks can only do so much before they cause the body to crash, and any repetitive motion sends us into a trance. Consistent eye movement prevents your body from entering the trance state, keeping you alert to every driving condition ahead of you.

4. Leave Yourself an Out

The fourth principle of the Smith System states to leave yourself a way out. This means ensure that other drivers do not box you in while selecting their lanes. Do not tailgate other vehicles too closely, and always anticipate other drivers moves.

5. Make Sure They See You

The worst thing a driver can do is assume. Assume other drivers can see them, assume other drivers are not dangerous, or even assume that they will just get to their destination safely. The final rule for the Smith System is “Make Sure You Are Seen”. This rule prevents accidents by removing assumptions made behind the wheel. As a driver, make sure that other drivers can see you and anticipate your move. If you feel you are coming into another driver’s blind spot, use the horn to get their attention.

-Listen and stay alert: Remain focused on the road at all times by not engaging in distracted driving. Use your mirrors to view oncoming vehicles. 16% of fatal crashes involve driver distraction.
-Proceed with caution: Pull to the right side of the road and do so swiftly, but cautiously when approached by emergency vehicles.
-Resume entry slowly: Use your turn signal! Slowly merge back onto the road or highway while checking your surroundings for others when re-entering roadways.

Tom4Uhere's photo
Thu 03/31/22 09:15 PM
I wasn't a mechanical engineer, I was a truck mechanic/auto mechanic.
My degree was geared to applied physics which I used as a technician.

As a teen, I was always interested in auto mechanics. My friends were interested in auto mechanics. We were farmers and worked on tractors and farming equipment a lot.

I originally majored in art...specifically, commercial art and graphics.
It was my passion for cars that drove my choices to pursue a career in the auto then truck technician field. I mastered it quickly and got certified.
I chose jobs which gave me experience in my passion.
I joined the service as a Construction Mechanic Seabee and advanced quickly.
I worked my entire career in the mechanic fields, including parts supply part time for awhile.
I totally loved my job.
I would still be doing it if the Dr hadn't put me out of work permanently.

Advice to parents and teen children is to pursue your passion. Stay focused and do all possible to to master that passion to find inner fulfillment.

I chose to know all I could know about my passion, which made my life successful, in my heart.
I wrote shop manuals, gave training and taught other mechanics what I knew.
As a fleet mechanic, its better to teach others than to have to stop what you are doing to fix their mistakes, so it was kinda selfish in that sense.

The legacy of my ideas and innovations persist to this day. It feel pretty good knowing that was my idea, all those years ago, even if I didn't get paid for it. My drive was not money inspired, not recognition motivated. It was I felt need to be done.

It didn't happen overnight (seems that way looking back) but eventually it became easy and sensible.
I read all the manuals and made a lot of mistakes. I tore things apart and put them back together.
I even frequented junkyards so I could just tear things apart to see how they went together.

Nobody told me to do it, I did it because I wanted to. After I mastered my field, the money came easy. In the beginning, not so easy.

When I try to offer advice I am not looking for recognition or wealth. I do it because I like to share what I have learned and the wisdom I feel should be common sense.

I can be wrong but I use that to set myself right, not to prove anything to anyone.

Bottom line....
Always pursue your passion with gusto!

Tom4Uhere's photo
Thu 03/31/22 01:51 PM
Personally I don't eat dinner till about 6-6:30 pm.

7-8 pm is common for dinner on a date because by the time you finish dinner the nightlife is just getting started and its a direct route to the venue.

Dinner and movie (locally), depending upon which showing and after-movie activity dictates the time reserved for dinner.

Dinner while at a mass venue like a concert or carnival usually dictates an earlier dinner with an after-snack. High volume amusement parks usually have restaurants on the premises and may offer picnic areas as well.

I believe one should eat when they are hungry. If the time is important, tell your date you wish to eat earlier (or later). If reservations are needed, best to get that info out BEFORE the reservation is made. If the reservation is a surprise, find a small high protien snack to eat to take the edge off without filling up...peanuts, a small sammich or popcorn works. It keep the tummy from barking at ya and your date...embarassed

I try to keep a bag of peanuts in the vehicle for hunger pains. I used to keep mini crackers but eww, ever try to eat a stale cracker!
sick