Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/04/09 11:15 AM

Hitler Himself justified the extermination of the Jews citing the Bible and Jesus:

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before in the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.... When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those (the Jews) by whom to-day this poor people is plundered and exploited. ":

(Adolf Hitler, in his speech on 12 April 1922)

Charles Manson did the same thing when he sent Tex and the gang out to murder innocents.

What do you think - did Charles Manson follow a directive of God, or did he use pretext and find a passage to support his wild idea's?

Let's put your understanding of Christianity to the test.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/04/09 11:01 AM

Yes, historically Hitler's actions could be considered Xian for the following reasons:
1. It was the Xians who made sure that the Jews were blamed for Jesus death and asked for punishment. Ergo, ghettos, pogroms, etc. That is why many of them chose to live under Muslim rule.
2. Xians sprend their religion in a manner similar to Muslims, by the sword.
3. Xians justified slavery, for example, when MLK asked a Southern Senator to back him in Civil Rights, the Senator stated that he would love to but the bible told him different.

I know that you as an individual Xian are probably a very spiritual and kind person and should not be judged by the past horrors committed in the name of your religion, however that history is there and people will always feel uneasy around fundamentalist Xians.

I'm not going to state that non of these events occured, but I find that there is one thing in common with your list. You are jusging Christainity by those who use it's name to abuse it. I do not doubt the tennets of christainity by those events, I doubt the claim of those who did them of being christains.

You can see where I come to this conclusion.

I will give you an example I have from life to illustrate this.

I am a Director, and when I hold auditions - everyone who comes into the theater tells me: "I am an actor/actress". Then they get to prove it to me by reading in a scene - or doing a few improvisations. After doing this for over 25 years, I can stae unequivically that not all who walk into the audition claiming to be performers - are so. At least a third of them have never performed outside of a high school production, or an acting class. Usually, the group bils down to asmall handful of individuals who demonstrate the necessary skills and talent to earn my trust that they'll execute the role I give them. These are the "actors". Not because they claimed to be, but because their actions supported their claim. And to refute the "it's just your opinion" claim, I have a casting committee in my auditions, so I'm not the only opinion determining if one is an actor or not.

Another example of this - is just watch the first auditions of "American Idol", and all those who "claim" to be singers, and are anything but. As soon as they open their mouth's - their actions support, or disprove their claims.

Do you really think the actions of the Catholic church during the crusades were representative of every Catholic on the planet? And that Jesus cndoned those actions? Where is there evidence of that in the New Testament?

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/04/09 12:50 AM

What is a "decent understanding" of the bible? Have you read it? Even just the New Testament?
If you haven't - you are basing your understanding on everything else but the source.

I will state for the last time I was raised in a Christian household. Yes I have read the bible, several times in fact.

Due to the discussion of Hitler - and your stance on his being a Christain, I know for certain you have not read the New Testament.

So, you're going to call me ignorant, but base what I have done, on your definition of a Christian, and Hitler.
huh

Therefore...

You have no experience or understanding from "where you're sitting" because it is from the seat of ignorance. And heading off to Wiki to get a definition of Christainity is like writing a book report on the Illiad from the Cliff notes. Your opinion is not your own, but somebody elses, and what evidence do you have that they've done the work for themselves.

I have come to my own understanding of what it is to be a Christian from my time AS a Christian. Again, I was raised (for 18+ years) in a Christian household. That time gives me a good understanding of what it is to be a Christian.

And aside from giving a brief overview of what the gospels say about salvation - how do you even know what my definition of Christianity is to determine there isn't anyone who is one?

Well, from what you have posted as your definition of a Christian, any rational person can see that by your definition, it would be very difficult for Jesus(IF he truly existed) to be a Christian.

Read the manuel - then join the discussion. By your own analogy - why should you be allowed an opinion?

Again, 18+ years as a Christian, I have read the bible, and even now as an Atheist, I would say I understand it more than most Christians out there.

You've read the bible - and you're attempting to convince me that Hitlers actions were representative of a christain?

Forgive me if I say I don't believe you.

Eljay's photo
Wed 02/04/09 12:48 AM

A Christian is anyone who wants to be one.

There are no properties that can be measured to objectively state what a Christian is.

What a waste of time to debate.

Have you read the Gospels?
Yes, I spent a lot of time reading different bibles during college for speech training for acting. I even read it through from cover to cover on more then one occasion, I can say that if I ever need to get to sleep . . . .

Shakespeare was more fun . . .

Go ahead and tell me every single variable that determines Christian from non Christian then explain to me how you can objectively analyze them, then determine if they apply to any given person.

Have fun.

Shakespeare was boring. I prefered Pinter, Ionesco and Beckett. Besides - college actors butcher Shakespeare so bad, it makes dealing with it unbearable.

But back to the subject at hand. If you've read the gospels you know that "Just wanting to be a Christain" does not make you one. There are numerous accounts of Jesus pointing this out. He tells Nicodemus that one must be born again, That one must believe that Jesus was who he claimed to be, He tells the rich young ruler to sell all that he has and give the money to the poor, then follow him, One has to "pick up their cross" and follow him. Though there is no definitive check list that one must perform, there is a path that one must follow - so it is more than just "wishing" to be a Christian. Which is why there are so many who claim to be christains, or profess to have once been a christain (a biblical impossibility) - yet fall away due to a lack of fullfilled expectations that were due more from presumption than from education.

And I tend to agree with you about arguing the point. Most who post their understanding of what the christain faith is and then proceed to refute it are absolutely correct in their refutation because their presumption about what christainity is in the first place is wrong to begin with. They claim that there are all these contradictions in the bible - never stating what they are, and never haveing read the book to begin with. They show no comprehension of exegesis, and know little or nothing of the intent of the author, the audience to whom the passages they are quoting are intended for, and think that the traditions of today are comprable to the traditions and practices of the first century. How can one argue from a position of ignorance. I don't expect that everyone should believe in what the bible says - I know that more do not believe than do - but if one is going to debate historical christain concepts, they should at least have read the bible. Wouldn't you think?

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 04:01 PM
Now hold on there dear...

I'm staring at a snow back in front of my house that is taller than I am. It's not supposed to get above 20 degree's here all week.

Don't you mean you need your sandals?

flowerforyou

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 03:54 PM

A Christian is anyone who wants to be one.

There are no properties that can be measured to objectively state what a Christian is.

What a waste of time to debate.

Have you read the Gospels?

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 03:42 PM

As do we who believe in the God of scripture. The actions of 9/11 come from the standpoint of pretextaul understnding of the Koran. Making a claim and surching for passages out of context to support it. If you examione your posts closer - you are guilty of that which you claim to fear the most. I have no problem with your entring the discussion of the exisrance of God - I have a problem with your presumptions of Christianity, and your misinformed prejudices of what behavior a christain demonstrates. The problem therin is you attribute the actions of those who abuse it (the bible refers to these as wolves in sheep's clothing) as representative of the belief as a whole. Then you attempt to use scripture to support your argument without understanding the context of what you are quoting. This is not demonstrating that you understand Christainity at a level of those you are attempting to refute.

Being brought up in a Christian Household, I have a decent understanding of the bible.

I have never once said that Christianity is only evil. When we are discussing Hitler and his actions, it isn't the time or the place to talk about everyone else.

From where I am sitting, I am not the one "ignoring whose rockets don't crash" because they don't support me.
There have been a number of people who have asked your opinion on the very things you have asked them for. You rarely, if ever give a real answer.
Like I said to you before, all you have proved is that those we have discussed don't fit your definition of a Christian, but by your own definition, there are no Christians.

What is a "decent understanding" of the bible? Have you read it? Even just the New Testament?
If you haven't - you are basing your understanding on everything else but the source.

Due to the discussion of Hitler - and your stance on his being a Christain, I know for certain you have not read the New Testament.

Therefore...

You have no experience or understanding from "where you're sitting" because it is from the seat of ignorance. And heading off to Wiki to get a definition of Christainity is like writing a book report on the Illiad from the Cliff notes. Your opinion is not your own, but somebody elses, and what evidence do you have that they've done the work for themselves.

And aside from giving a brief overview of what the gospels say about salvation - how do you even know what my definition of Christianity is to determine there isn't anyone who is one?

Read the manuel - then join the discussion. By your own analogy - why should you be allowed an opinion?

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 11:10 AM

I might watch that simply because I can't find much of anything worth watching on Netflix.

I'm about ready to cancel my membership.

Anyone have any good suggestions before I cancel?

Well - you've got to see "Burn Before Reading".

Then cancel. Blockbuster is much better - unless you have more than a 2 mile drive to one.

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 10:38 AM

Maybe i'm not quite understanding your P.O.V
You're saying my belief in God threatens you to a point you feel you need to defend yourself? Why? And what do you mean by "basic understanding"?

I'll try to explain it, by taking religion out of the equation.

I'll use the cliche Rocket Science instead. If one of us, is knowledgeable in Rocket Science, and the other isn't, the argument on either side is not going to be a good one. If I am the one not up on my Rocket Science, you can pretty much slip anything half-truth or flat out lie by me, and I won't catch it.

So, to bring religion back into the picture, For me to be able to bring up decent points, I need to have a knowledge of the religion(or religions) and the holy books that belong to them. I can't make a good argument against something I know nothing about.

To use an example that (I hope) everyone will find absurd, If we are arguing, and you claim that Jesus road a T-Rex to the spot where he was crucified, If I don't have any knowledge of the bible, I can't dispute your claim.

To answer whether a belief in God threatens me, I would say that yes a belief in god threatens me, but it does so more in the actions that come about from a belief in god. 9/11 is the best, recent example of this. The actions of those hijackers were motivated by their religious beliefs. And it is that ugliness that I feel threatened by.

As do we who believe in the God of scripture. The actions of 9/11 come from the standpoint of pretextaul understnding of the Koran. Making a claim and surching for passages out of context to support it. If you examione your posts closer - you are guilty of that which you claim to fear the most. I have no problem with your entring the discussion of the exisrance of God - I have a problem with your presumptions of Christianity, and your misinformed prejudices of what behavior a christain demonstrates. The problem therin is you attribute the actions of those who abuse it (the bible refers to these as wolves in sheep's clothing) as representative of the belief as a whole. Then you attempt to use scripture to support your argument without understanding the context of what you are quoting. This is not demonstrating that you understand Christainity at a level of those you are attempting to refute.

In plain terms - If you want to be a rocket scientist - at least understand how a rocket works. If you keep seeing rockets crash - that only demonstrates that those who built them didn't know what they were doing - not that rockets don't fly. And stop ignoring those who's rockets don't crash because they're not supporting yuor pretext.

Eljay's photo
Tue 02/03/09 10:08 AM

I'm curious as to what your evidence is to refute the actions of Hitler that demonstrate clearly that he was not a christian.

What are the actions of a christian?

What actions of Hitler's don't fall in line with anything the church has done since it was created?

See 2 Peter 1:3-11; All of 1 John; and James.

Start there, and this will give you an idea of the actions of a christain - as well as insight into the actions of those claiming to be christians - but do so in vain.

Don't blame the philosophy with the actions of those who abuse it. The bible is clear on what the actions of a christian are - History is clear about those who have abused it.

1. -Romans 3:26-28
Paul, by declaring faith in Jesus over law, effectively separated Christianity from Judaism. It came from these Pauline declarations that first defined Christianity. Belief in Jesus serves as the only requirement for membership into the Christian community. Christianity does not require adhering to Old Testament laws or membership to any Church or abstaining from evil deeds. One need only have faith in Jesus for its justification, period.

2. What about all the passages in the Bible that say it is Okay to kill people of other religions(Heathens), unruly children, and women who aren't virgins on their wedding day.

You need to get a handle on your Atheistic apologetics. Paul does not declare that the only thing a person need do is have belief in Jesus to gain membership of the christian community. First of all - you are referencing the book of Romans. A letter written to those who were already christains. Second of all the reference of faith being discussed in the passage you've wrongly chosen to support your position is referencing faith that leads to rightiousness - which follows the discussion he has about no one being rightious. Not one. Obviously you have demonstrated the incapabability to read James, Peter and John, all three of which discuss this topic directly - in order to refute them and support your position. But no surprise there.

As to your second point. Where do you find this idea in the New Testament. Or have you forgotten that you are trying to demonstrate that Hitler was a christian. This question is attempting to prove that he was Jewish.

Why do you bother?

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/02/09 10:31 PM
Edited by Eljay on Mon 02/02/09 10:33 PM

I'm curious as to what your evidence is to refute the actions of Hitler that demonstrate clearly that he was not a christian.

What are the actions of a christian?

What actions of Hitler's don't fall in line with anything the church has done since it was created?

See 2 Peter 1:3-11; All of 1 John; and James.

Start there, and this will give you an idea of the actions of a christain - as well as insight into the actions of those claiming to be christians - but do so in vain.

Don't blame the philosophy with the actions of those who abuse it. The bible is clear on what the actions of a christian are - History is clear about those who have abused it.

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/02/09 10:27 PM

5 Pages about atheism, 25 on Hitler. laugh

Isn't that how it always works though?

Eventually someone runs out of enough "proof" for their side, and they bring up Hitler, then it just takes off from there. .

drinker

Though I don't agree with Krimsa's assessment of Hitler, I defend her right to bring it up on every thread she post in.

I only argue against the believers who insist that he was not a Catholic. Why shouldn’t I? Its misinformation.

Excuse me - but you argue that he was a Christian - which he was not.

After fixing your errors, All you have "proved" is that Hitler doesn't fit your definition of a Christian. But, by your definition, no one is a Christian. . .

So how does Hitler fit your "definition/understanding" of a Christain?
Well just like you he had never to my knowledge drank poison and survived without ill effect, to me this is a written requirement to be a true follower of Jesus.

So neither are you.

A written requirement? What bible are you reading?

Eljay's photo
Mon 02/02/09 04:13 PM
Edited by Eljay on Mon 02/02/09 04:15 PM

Eventually someone runs out of enough "proof" for their side, and they bring up Hitler, then it just takes off from there. .

drinker

Though I don't agree with Krimsa's assessment of Hitler, I defend her right to bring it up on every thread she post in.

I only argue against the believers who insist that he was not a Catholic. Why shouldn’t I? Its misinformation.

After fixing your errors, All you have "proved" is that Hitler doesn't fit your definition of a Christian. But, by your definition, no one is a Christian. . .

So how does Hitler fit your "definition/understanding" of a Christian?

From the quotes of Hitler's that I have read, and that Krimsa has provided on here, I believe that Hitler was a Christian all his life.
I also feel it is not up to you to decide who is/isn't/was/wasn't a Christian.

Well - your education on the topic is limited.

I don't "decide" who is a christian and who isn't. I've examined enough of the documentation and quotations on Hitler to have no problem agreeing with the majority of historians and anyone who has casually investigated this topic that Hitler was a non-christain through his own statements of beliefs, and by his demonstrated actions.

But believe what you want.

I'm curious as to what your evidence is to refute the actions of Hitler that demonstrate clearly that he was not a christain.

Eljay's photo
Sun 02/01/09 10:27 PM

drinker

So how does Hitler fit your "definition/understanding" of a Christain?

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 03:15 PM

That being said - there isn't a single person walking this planet who isn't delusional, for I defy you to live your life without faith in the fact that you'll even get up in the morning.

"Eljay" you are describing depression ..to say you need faith to live your life and to get up in the morning means you have given up on life and this frame of mind falls not in the realm of faith but suicide

But that was not a definition - just an example.

Do you own a car? Don't you have faith it will start when you turn the ignition? How can anyone exist without faith?

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 03:14 PM
Edited by Eljay on Thu 01/29/09 03:16 PM

That being said - there isn't a single person walking this planet who isn't delusional, for I defy you to live your life without faith in the fact that you'll even get up in the morning.

Without faith - we would be a planet of walking, delusional paranoid zombies incapable of functioning on any level in society.

That is a load of crap, you can live your life without faith, and I do it daily. . .

Faith- something that is believed especially with strong conviction ; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Expect- To look forward to the probable occurrence or appearance of

I don't have faith I will wake up tomorrow, I expect that I will wake up tomorrow.
Faith in mankind is why all those scams work so well. . .

If you think you live your life without faith - you're delusional.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 03:07 PM

Eljay said:

So Nero didn't exist? I think there is an extremely large Historical society who would disagree with you.

I don’t understand the historical correlation you are attempting to make between Nero, who was a well documented Roman Emperor and Moses who was some guy who supposedly freed the Hebrew slaves from Egypt yet there is absolutely nothing in the hieroglyphic record that even makes mention of his existence outside of the bible. I’m finding it difficult to believe that the Egyptians would have just glossed over that if it had actually occurred.

I'd like to see you prove to me that Moses is not well documented. There has been more written about Moses than all of the emporers of rome combined!

Documentation by the Egyptians? The bible doesn’t count, Eljay.

Okay - explain why anything documented by the Egyptians is viable and the Bible is not?

Because it seems only logical and reasonable that the Egyptians would have documented the existence of Moses doesn’t it? He should be validated in both civilizations.

That isn't proof af anything. The interpretation's of Heiroglifics are subjective at best. (Or however that word is spelled)

Also - what evidence is there that what was found in the Heiro's weren't themselves fiction - in which case there would be no mention of anyone real. There's no basis for the claim the the bible is fiction - as there's no way to verify the claim.

So your argument here (yet again) is there is no way for us to truly interpret Egyptian hieroglyphics? Is that what I am hearing? Are you familiar with the Rosetta Stone? Do you know what that is? Look it up right now.

Of course I am. But what are you basing your belief of the validity of the interpretation on?
Is this not blind trust in the interpretation of one who claims expertise? Yet you discredit anyone who is a Christain when they are brought up and quoted. I don't understand what supports this double standard.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 02:42 PM

drinker

Though I don't agree with Krimsa's accessment of Hitler, I defend her right to bring it up on every thread she post in.

Excuse me - but you aregue that he was a Christain - which he was not.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 02:41 PM

Eljay said:

God is also Just.

Okay lets take a look at some of that biblical "justice" shall we?

2 Corinthians 6

6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

"Be ye separate."

Keep away from unbelievers. Neither marry nor be friends with them. You should not even be speaking with us Eljay. Your god commands you to not even look at us. Of course this is the NT where it went from "kill all of the heathens" to just turn your back on them because they are "unclean." Thank goodness for small favors.

What has this got to do with "Justice"?

Because it is an unjust sentiment to have for your fellow human beings. I can always cite another example if you like? I was being kind on that one.

But that is just a subjective observation. It has nothing to do with justice.

So in other words you feel that god was correct in that ultimatum? Turn your back on the non-believers? Why don’t you do it then?

Because that it not what the context of scripture dictates.

Eljay's photo
Thu 01/29/09 02:40 PM

Eljay said:

So Nero didn't exist? I think there is an extremely large Historical society who would disagree with you.

I don’t understand the historical correlation you are attempting to make between Nero, who was a well documented Roman Emperor and Moses who was some guy who supposedly freed the Hebrew slaves from Egypt yet there is absolutely nothing in the hieroglyphic record that even makes mention of his existence outside of the bible. I’m finding it difficult to believe that the Egyptians would have just glossed over that if it had actually occurred.

I'd like to see you prove to me that Moses is not well documented. There has been more written about Moses than all of the emporers of rome combined!

Documentation by the Egyptians? The bible doesn’t count, Eljay.

Okay - explain why anything documented by the Egyptians is viable and the Bible is not?

Because it seems only logical and reasonable that the Egyptians would have documented the existence of Moses doesn’t it? He should be validated in both civilizations.

That isn't proof af anything. The interpretation's of Heiroglifics are subjective at best. (Or however that word is spelled)

Also - what evidence is there that what was found in the Heiro's weren't themselves fiction - in which case there would be no mention of anyone real. There's no basis for the claim the the bible is fiction - as there's no way to verify the claim.