Community > Posts By > TheLonelyWalker

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 11:00 AM

the Blessed and ever Virgin.
was a chosen woman who knew how to say YES to God's will.

Hmm. Interesting that you should mention that specifically. Wasn't that one of the reasons that the Hebrews did not see it fit to get on board with this concept and accept Jesus as the true Messiah? The overabundance of mistranslations?

wrong dear.
the hebrews didn't accept my Lord Jesus Christ as the Mesiah because they misinterpreted the prophets.
The Hebrews were waiting a Mesiah Warrior King who was going to set them free from the oppression of Rome.
Rebuild the kingdom of Jerusalem.
And what they got a man who asked to give the other cheak.
To walk an extra mile with whom makes you walk one.
That is the reason why the Hebrews didn't accept my Lord as the Messiah.
Not your assertion.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:54 AM
what does a recovering catholic mean?

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:52 AM
the Blessed and ever Virgin.
was a chosen woman who knew how to say YES to God's will.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:48 AM
no, therefore, live and let live.
meaning if you consider that is not necessary, let the other who consider that they need to go to a church to practice religion live their lifes.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:44 AM

They weren't even trying. :tongue:

Actually their trial was correct, the problem was the people who read it didn't get it the way it was suppose to come across.

By the "not trying" comment actually what I meant by that was the writers of this story, Moses or whoever else might have aided him, were stealing snippets of other creation myths that pre-dated Genesis. Plagiarism in fact. They were very close. The snake was representative of Paganism and the much older belief system that was already in place and that Christianity would be in direct opposition with. The concept of a monotheistic deity such as Yahweh or Jehovah had been brought forth by the various invading tribes. The Hebrews were but one. So, in a sense, this story in the bible depicting the Tree of Knowledge (arguably one of the most critical) was a direct attempt at discrediting the much older religion of the day.

not at all dear.
As I have said the sacred author could have used any other allegory or figure among all the other traditions which were around the middle east and the semitic tribes of the area. The message to convey was one and just one.
God almighty created the world out of nothing. The human race in an act of free will decided not to obey God's command.
Again the theological principle is just one the figure could have been any other such as "God said don't drink water from that river, yet the man still did it."

I would disagree with you in that case. The symbolism that was being utilized was in fact quite deliberate and specific. Otherwise why not use a chicken or a pig in the place of the serpent? It is not limited to the serpent either of course.

SERPENTS

The serpent of Genesis was a deity in its own right, revered in the Levant for at least 7000 years before Genesis was written. Trees and gardens were involved in these early religions also, with no associations concerning guilt, sin, disobedience, or unpleasantness.

The serpent’s divine association has been insistently (and hopefully) interpreted as phallic, but the serpent was revered as female in the Near and Middle East (based on Sumerian and Babylonian texts, artifacts from Crete). (Did pre-dynastic Egyptians flee to Crete in 3000 bce with their belief in the cobra goddess?)

In ancient myths, the female deity was often symbolized as a serpent or dragon. The picture of the cobra as symbol of mystic insight and wisdom is used as a hieroglyphic sign signifying goddess, and it precedes the name of any goddess in Egyptian writing.

even there you are supporting my point, my good friend.
in judeo-christian culture and religion there is no way to accept a female as deity because the distorted way in which the tale of creation has been interpreted for almost 6,000 years jews, chrstians and others religions and cultures coming from the middle east have characterized the only God as a male.
Therefore, the serpent which represents Lucifer, Satan, or the devil couldn't have been considered as a female deity by the sacred author (Moses) because he already considered females as inferior being incapable to reach a deity position.
so again my friend I do have to disagree with you.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:30 AM

Actually their trial was correct, the problem was the people who read it didn't get it the way it was suppose to come across.

By the "not trying" comment actually what I meant by that was the writers of this story, Moses or whoever else might have aided him, were stealing snippets of other creation myths that pre-dated Genesis. Plagiarism in fact. They were very close. The snake was representative of Paganism and the much older belief system that was already in place and that Christianity would be in direct opposition with. The concept of a monotheistic deity such as Yahweh or Jehovah had been brought forth by the various invading tribes. The Hebrews were but one. So, in a sense, this story in the bible depicting the Tree of Knowledge (arguably one of the most critical) was a direct attempt at discrediting the much older religion of the day.

not at all dear.
As I have said the sacred author could have used any other allegory or figure among all the other traditions which were around the middle east and the semitic tribes of the area. The message to convey was one and just one.
God almighty created the world out of nothing. The human race in an act of free will decided not to obey God's command.
Again the theological principle is just one the figure could have been any other such as "God said don't drink water from that river, yet the man still did it."

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:12 AM
It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Men are so simple and yield so readily to the desires of the moment that he who will trick will always find another who will suffer to be tricked.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - for heavy ones they cannot.
Niccolo Machiavelli

No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution.
Niccolo Machiavelli

One who deceives will always find those who allow themselves to be deceived.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

"A lie repeated a hundred times becomes the truth."
-Chairman Mao

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:08 AM
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 10:02 AM

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:59 AM
I have no other way in life.
I have to be dead honest.
Sometimes I don't want to hurt, yet
I still do it.

Why? Why? Why?
I just say what I think and feel.
Raw as it is.
What can I do?

I try to find ways
to soften the truth.
However, I just can't.
I don't want to be evil.

I am just what I am.
A raw man with raw words.
With no intentions to harm, yet
It seems that I always do it.

Don't ask me to be soft and sweet.
For me 2+2=4, and that is what it is
Life is way simpler when I come down
to this simple equation.

Please don't think I'm evil.
I don't want to be evil.
Even when I come across like that.
I am not evil, just raw.

TLW
(09/12/2008)

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:51 AM

Though I agree with you for the most part......are you entirely certain that anyone who is referenced in the Bible is fictional? And are you certain beyond a doubt who was fictional and who wasn't? And if you are, please tell me how you arrive at your degree of certainty? flowerforyou

dear then we will come down to the eternal polarization in which christians believe what we believe, and that what non-christians assert as the biggest lie ever told.

Ok, when you refer to this eternal polarization...whose polarization are you referring to? It isn't mine. Is it yours? And if it isn't mine or yours, what significance does it have?....as you and I are the only ones in this discussion. And....it also doesn't answer the question I just asked you.

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou
Ok you win.

there are historical events which are told along the Bible can be proven through archeology and cross-reference with other contemporary cultures which were around the same geographical area.

It also makes sense that there are persons and events referenced in the Bible, the existence of which cannot be confirmed. I don't know for sure. But my conclusion is this: The lack of confirmation of the existence of a thing doesn't necessarily confirm its non-existence.

Thanks for the mental warm-up!! Have an outstanding morning! flowerforyou

you toodrinker

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:50 AM

Nah, I figured not Miguel but I think this is one of those questions that most people will automatically jump to conclusions on, I know I did (and figured I was wrong but went ahead anyway). And I most certainly didn't want to start any kind of controversy, having enough of that in my own life. Sorry if I did/do! flowerforyou flowerforyou

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:40 AM
welcome and enjoy

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:38 AM
Edited by TheLonelyWalker on Fri 09/12/08 09:39 AM

Though I agree with you for the most part......are you entirely certain that anyone who is referenced in the Bible is fictional? And are you certain beyond a doubt who was fictional and who wasn't? And if you are, please tell me how you arrive at your degree of certainty? flowerforyou

dear then we will come down to the eternal polarization in which christians believe what we believe, and that what non-christians assert as the biggest lie ever told.

Ok, when you refer to this eternal polarization...whose polarization are you referring to? It isn't mine. Is it yours? And if it isn't mine or yours, what significance does it have?....as you and I are the only ones in this discussion. And....it also doesn't answer the question I just asked you.

flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou flowerforyou
Ok you win.

there are historical events which are told along the Bible can be proven through archeology and cross-reference with other contemporary cultures which were around the same geographical area.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:33 AM

but she was

and I appreciate her position.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:31 AM

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:29 AM

I agree with you Miguel. But, to extrapolate your question further, does this mean that just because an egg is fertilized that "life" truly begins? I think everyone needs to look at his or her own conscience and belief system to answer that for themselves.

That is exactly my point.
My question would be better. what does your conscience say?

I believe that life begins at conception. When it comes to a question of abortion, which is where my mind goes when a question like this comes up and maybe it's not your intention but I'll answer it as if it were, I think that "life" begins still at conception. But, I think that the mother's rights and "life" override any potential life that is created at conception. I do not believe in abortion for myself, however, I think it is my right to choose what happens with my body and my life. I don't advocate abortion and I certainly don't think that it should be used as a form of birth control. But, there are very good and valid reasons for ending a pregnancy and life within the first say 10-12 weeks of a pregnancy and even after, under some circumstances.

I know I probably just opened a can of worms. Everyone has an opinion and everyone thinks they are right. And I think both sides of this particular argument are both right and wrong, there is no black and white, there are a million shades of gray in between which need to be taken into account. Which is why I think everyone needs to look into their own conscience, decide what is right for themselves, and accept whatever consequences come of their action.

sweetie, i was not talking about abortion.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:27 AM
Thank you.
I do believe that even at this primary stage in which the cells are dividing little by little there is some sort of sensivity in the baby.
The baby at this early stage can feel mommy's stress or happiness depending on her situation.
All these are the events that start developing the psyche of a person. Even at those early stages.
Just my honest point of view.

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:22 AM

You asked what I believed so I told you, yes cells are alive but do they feel pain? or happiness? or anything at all?

i respect your point of view.
Can I share mine and receive the same respect?

TheLonelyWalker's photo
Fri 09/12/08 09:16 AM

Like I said...life begins when the little heart starts beating. Nothing is alive till there is a heart beat, its just cells till then.

cells?

merriam-webster online definition of cell?

a small usually microscopic mass of protoplasm bounded externally by a semipermeable membrane, usually including one or more nuclei and various other organelles with their products, capable alone or interacting with other cells of performing all the fundamental functions of life, and forming the smallest structural unit of living matter capable of functioning independently

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25