Community > Posts By > Gwendolyn2009

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:17 AM

My experience on dating sites so far is that most people just picture surf, if the picture is liked, contact may be made, if not it won't end off!
It's a bit like going to a book shop and just looking at all the covers, not reading the appendix in the book, just picking the book totally by it's cover!

I think that's the big problem with internet dating compared to meeting someone in person, ie socially, work, chance meeting in a supermarket etc, you can have a chat in person, it's totally about the person then, not a picture!

When buying a book, most people look at the front cover, look at the back cover, look at the table of contents, read the first paragraph, then skim a paragraph or so near the middle.

But unless the author is well known or the book has an extremely catchy title, the cover is what catches the eye.

Online dating is the same.

When I meet someone in the supermarket or another offline venue, I check out the cover, first. I am extremely shallow and a man has to be attractive by my standards before I will consider dating him: the cover has to be attractive, and the content needs to be well written and interesting.

Online dating isn't going to change!

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:58 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Thu 01/13/11 08:00 PM

Now Gwendolyn, you said you are a serious student of history?

History has always been a passion of mine. Now in American History the triangle Shirt Factory Fire was HUGE becasue women were chained by their ankles and forced to stay two weeks at a time chained to a sewing machine. Most of the women were Italian with a few Irish and a hand full of Jews tossed together. Even back then Jews were treated like second class people. The workers HAD to get permission to go to the bathroom. What history does not remember was that fire gave birth to the Italian mafia who forced money out of the owners eventually by force. the justice system back then did not do anything for poor people OR WOMEN. Back then there was no such thing as Rape laws. This was a major turning point in history when equality took a savage battering becasue of one little factory fire. Sadly this overshadowed the unfair treatment a lot of Chinese Migrants suffered here unjustly as well. They frankly were treated like total crap and worked HARD. Hell, black slaves were worth more than Chinese Workers! That also was the era of the Child Coal miners. That is a whole different story of abuse and exploitation.

These days people have things WAY too easy. Our whole social nature is ungodly complicated. It is a lot harder to find someone who is really and truly compatible in all ways rather than settling for and compromising for someone who is less than perfect but then again in settling for something less than perfect can be a case of going where fools even fear to tread. That hunky and charming broke man could also be a manipulative loser who relies on looks and manipulation to get through life on the backs of women. They are out there. If it looks good but serves no purpose then it is useless! That goes for men and women alike.

No I am not picking on you. If I was I could say things that would dig into your soul and really tear you up inside. That is not my way or style. I just love a good argument! Friends can still disagree!

No, you could not tell me things that would dig into my soul and tear up my insides.

I do not specialize in American history, but let remind you of the Victorian Era in England when one could not say "leg" in public because it was too sexual.

Yet in that period, there were more brothels in London than at any other time in history. Men of wealth and nobility loved little children, and the louder the children screamed, the more pleasure those noble men took from their experience.

Charles Dickens wrote a book called Hard Times, but he had to remove a scene where a girl's dress was caught by a piece of machinery and she was ground up by the machine. The scene was based on a real incident.

I do not believe in hell, but I sometimes wish there were one.

No, we don't have it "too" easy today. To say that means a wish to return to "simpler" days when men were men and women were women, eh? With all its faults, I vastly prefer the present; it is much too painful to be hanged or burned as a witch.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:49 PM

One day the entire earth will be consumed by a 'lake' of fire... Perhaps 4 billion years from now.

One hopes mankind will have matured enough to have moved on by then.

In five billion years when the sun is a red giant, humans will not even be a footnote in the history of the universe. Not even a memory will remain.

Eat, drink, and be merry.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 04:21 PM
I am in total and utter love with myself.

In fact, the only people whom I love more than myself are my offspring.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 04:21 PM

Isn't "Dark Matter" the arch-nemesis of "Light Matter," the superhero?
[/quote
and his half brother.

Along with Anti Matter, Heavy Water, the baby Nutrino.

What about Holy Water?

I can see your point. For me dark matter is when the computer won't boot and you are just left staring at the dark matter. Or when your in-laws come over when you are bent over trying to fix the kitchen sink and you at first think it is just a dark shadow but sure enough when you raise up you can plainly see it is dark matter.

What about Half-Lit Matter?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 04:18 PM
They will be judged on this action. The tithes are not ment to be used as such.

Only god has the right to decide this: "Judge not, lest ye be so judged." You don't have the right to judge your Christian peers and whether or not they tithe incorrectly.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 04:16 PM

Hello Gwendolyn; Thank you for your responce;although I don't agree with Marx about religion being a OPIATE OF THE MASSES the promise of afterlife is throught salvation, salvation is entirely a work of GOD.

OP, in your beliefs, salvation is a work of god, but that is only your opinion. I do not need to be saved, and if I did, only I could save myself. If salvation were ENTIRELY the work of god, then humans wouldn't have to do anything, but within the Christian religion, they do; they must accept Jesus as savior. Does god turn away anyone who does that, or does the merely act of acceptance guarantee a person a spot in heaven? If the latter is true, then salvation becomes a "work" on the part of the professor.

Abracadabra wrote:
Salvation is entirely the work of mythological religions that require the all men are in dire need of salvation.

The very notion is a religious notion to begin with.

There is no reason for anyone outside of those religious mythologies to even remotely accept this notion of a need for "salvation".

The religion introduces the "fear element" (i.e. a dire need for salvation), and then it pretends to hold the only key to removing that "fear element". whoa

Outside of those mythological religions the "fear element" doesn't exist.

You must first convince me that God is "out to get me" before you can convince me that I need to do something in order to pacify this angry threatening God.

Without the threat of God's wrath, the concept of "salvation" is moot. So you first need to convince me that God is wrathful.

My first response to that is that a "wrathful God" is no "god" at all by rather it's a demon.

So from my point of view you'd just be trying to convince me that I need to appease a demon. May as well try to convince me of the boogieman as far as I'm concerned.

Hallelujah, brother!

Cowboy wrote:
There are not threats from God.

I once lived next to a psychopath. He tried to assault a woman in the neighborhood but she ran into her house. He became angry at me for a variety of reasons, including his perception that I refused to wave at him when I was driving; he said I put my hands over my eyes so I wouldn't see him.

One night, he lost all control and stood on his porch yelling, "I'm going to get you! That's not a threat, that's a promise!"

It seems that his perception of a threat and the perception of a threat by god is the same. If the Christian god says to me, "If you do not accept Jesus as your savior, I will throw you into a lake of fire," then I perceive that as a threat. He is saying, "Obey me or you will suffer," and that, my friend, is a threat.

If I were truly given the option of freewill, I would not have to choose between accepting Jesus or the lake of fire. I could say,"Hmmm . . . I choose not to accept Jesus AND I choose not to be sent to a lake of fire." Anything less than that is NOT freewill.

Of course, Jesus is not god and there is no lake of fire except in volcanoes.

Problem solved.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 10:31 AM
I couldn't find a "mingle1," but there is another site simply called "mingles." I don't know if this site or that one came first.

There are also other dating sites that combine "mingle" with other words, i.e. "catholicmingle."

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:36 AM
Isn't "Dark Matter" the arch-nemesis of "Light Matter," the superhero?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:34 AM
Tithing is for preachers, not god.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:33 AM

When do you become master of your own fate? I ask this question because I find it interesting that the meanist life, the poorest existence, is attributed to God's will, but as human beings become more affluent,as their living stadndard and style begain to ascend the material scale, God descends the scale of respondibility at a commensurate speed.

Marx said that religion is the opiate of the masses. The promise of the afterlife gives the downtrodden and poor meaning in their lives. It gives them hope.

Rich people don't need as much hope. Their needs are met. However, there are rich people who are still religious and attribute their wealth to divine intervention.

But as to your question: hope is useless without action, so the hope that the poor retain for heaven might be translated into a hope for a better earthly life.

Taking responsibility for a religious person might be prayer but also, action to get what he/she needs and desires. People who are truly poverty stricken often do not see a way out of their poverty and would see action as futile.

I see this on a nonreligious level, as well: people get so locked into blaming their parents or others that they can't move forward. They refuse (not can't) to understand that at some point, we have to get over what was done to us and take responsibility for our lives at that point.

My 85 year old mother still broods about things that happened 80 years ago; she is not "master" of her fate.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:24 AM

My best friend lost her hair due to cancer. Now she keeps it short and simple. When we go out and she is wanting to look swanky, she will put on one of the dozen wigs I bought for her (and she looks hot!)

It is much better to be alive and have no hair than to go unnecessarily to the grave with a full head of hair

When everyone else has shaved their heads and you are the only one left with hair, I think the view point is a little different.

Do you mean the person left with hair would shave his/her head? Tsk, some of us LIKE to look different from others. I have never been one to do what the crowd does. Ever seen the cartoon The Point?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Thu 01/13/11 07:20 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW now we talking 100 pairs where you keep them all? thats more then 3 months worths if you were wearing a different pair each day lolllll hope you enjoy them my friend:)

I DO enjoy them. I teach at a community college, and not only my students, but students whom I don't know tell me how they "love" my shoes!

I can also say that if a woman wants to attract the attention of men, she should wear heels. I can wear a dress with flats and get no comment, but the same outfit with heels will attract notice. In fact, no man has ever stopped me in a store to report that he liked my flats, but I have been told by strangers that they like my heels.

The biggest obstacle is finding someplace to put them. I live alone, so they go into the spare bedroom, but they are also in the hall closet, in my room, and a few pairs are parked in the hall.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 08:37 PM
I probably have a hundred pairs of shoes if you count boots.

I love shoes and clothes. I think it stems from not having many when I was a girl.

Since I work and pay for my shoes, why not indulge in what makes me look good? I rarely pay full price for a pair or shoes or a dress. And as someone else said, I keep my shoes for a long time, so they add up.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 08:32 PM

A woman that can fix her own vacume cleaner.:wink:

BUT I CAN'T OPEN A DAMN JAR!

"They" have done something to jars. There are some that I can't open, and I am not a weak woman. I insert the tip of spoon under the edge of the lid and use it as a lever--it breaks the seal and then I can open the jar.

The same goes for bottles of soda: even in the same pack, some I can open with no problem and some I can't budge. I have to get the pliers to open those.

I "fix" my own vacuum, closet doors, replace doorknobs, mow the lawn, clean out the gutters, and would have fixed my faucet if any hardware stores had carried the cartridge.

One of my "duh" moments is when I can't find my pencil when I KNOW it was in my hand two seconds ago.

Then, I find it stuck in my hair--through the base of my ponytail or french braid.

I did this in class once and I swear the students knew where it was but thought it was so funny, they didn't tell me.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 08:22 PM
What point are you trying to make?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 07:12 PM
Although they were bloodthirsty thieves, the old time pirates were democratic and non-sexist.

The elected the pirate captain and several women held that position.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 07:10 PM
No.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 07:09 PM

You know considering that evolution is always a process of change seeking out the best suited life forms to live on in a given environment deevolution really is not possible. Evolving to a reverted state IS more likely possible and plausible. What would happen to us if say we had a new Ice Age that went on for 100,000 years? Our written history loosely begins where the Ice Age ended. We may develop features more attuned to a colder environment and become more Neanderthal like. That is not to say Homo Sapien would revert to Neanderthal in as much as physically imitating one. Neanderthals were remarkably adapted to cold weather survival. Then again it is possible for Humans to revert to a more Feral state. Aborigines are arguable a more feral human. Then again Chimpanzees could very well act like our fore fathers did too. Stripped of our tools we would revert to a more animalistic way of living. But a change "backwards" can be a change for the best if it means the species surviving a catastrophic change in environment.

Written history begins quite a long time after the last MAJOR glacial period--by at least 6,000 years. The Egyptians and Sumerians were the first to invent writing circa 2,500-2,000 BCE: the glacial age ended about 12,500 to 10,000 years ago.

We would not become "feral" if another glacial age began: our tools and ability to move around the globe are much superior to our ancestors' abilities.

In addition, the last major glacial period began roughly about 110,000 years ago. The date for the emergence of Homo Sapien is given anywhere from 250,000 to 100,000 years ago (depending upon which research you read). Regardless, modern humans lived through the last glacial period and did not develop Neanderthal tendencies: there is no reason why they would do so in another major glacial period!

Species do not make rapid evolutionary changes to adapt to catastrophic changes in the environment: it is why there have been series of extinctions on the planet.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Wed 01/12/11 06:42 PM
Nope.