Community > Posts By > Gwendolyn2009

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 05:17 PM

I have tried to find the one who can just love me for ME...
And failed...

SO,,,,how about I try and find the one who can hate me for being someone else????drinker :wink: :heart: :banana:

smokin

You haven't given up; if you had, you wouldn't have started this forum!

I hate to quote the Bible....

Not my bag.

But there is a really relevant passage in Ephesians....4:12 (Old Testament)

"Don't be a Pu$$Y"

Seems to make sense to me....

I really did laugh out loud when I read this. I am going to pencil in this translation in my copy of the Bible. (By the way, Ephesians is in the Christian Scriptures, aka the "NEW" Testament.)

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 05:15 PM

I MUST SAy GUyS WitH TATTOOS MAkE ME BiTE My Lip ANd WANt 2 dO DiRTy THiNGS...

Only if the tattoos are on a hot body. Tats on a 350 pound man do nothing for me.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 04:35 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Sat 01/15/11 05:18 PM

A fair amount of truth here.

Men tell stories because it's
their way of communicating, letting
us into their world, their heads,
their hearts. It's how they let us
get to know them.

Women want to share their secrets.
They can't untill they feel safe and
know their secrests are safe.
Telling their secrets is giving their
heart.

The way a mans story makes her
feel determines if she tells her secrets.

My thoughts....

I sometimes wonder if I am different from most women and someone forgot to give me the How to be a Woman book.

What types of secrets?

I am a storyteller,and in my stories, the woman who I am is "exposed." When I was still seeking men to date, my profile was a series of stories about my experiences. Some people tell who they are, but I prefer to show who I am.

When I used to frequent chat rooms, a man had written on his profile that men can get naked and it means nothing, but when a man talks, he is baring his soul. He said women bare their souls easily and openly, but when one gets naked for the first time, she is showing trust and is truly baring herself (in more ways than one).

I told him it was a hackneyed, BS concept. He was not pleased.

So, which is it?

I don't think we can make such generalizations about men or women.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 04:19 PM

I didn't wade through all of the pages for this forum, but to anyone who followed it from the beginning, is "curvy" ever defined?

Clearly.....

Send me a pic of your boobs or butt naked booty and I will define if it is curvy.......

You asked....

So, if you dont send me some skin pix....you can no longer have an opinion.....rules suck but, we all live with them.

Oh, I am definitely curvy, but my query was more on the side of is "curvy" the breasts to hip ratio or obese women?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 01:42 PM

Gwen:

I don't know what you mean by "reality, trust, etc." are necessary in morality. Can you elucidate and elaborate?

Those are not manmade, yet are of moral import. Because they are of moral import, they are a necessary part of moral content. It follows that all things with/of moral content are not necessarily man made.

Morality does rise and fall with the concept of a society's conception of deity. They used to burn and hang people as witches because god sanctioned it; while we still have "witch-hunts" in the modern Western word, they are largely allegorical and have different outcomes.

It does not follow from the fact that religion has historically used a deity to ground moral belief, that moral belief follows from a deity, and only a deity. Morality exists with or without a belief in 'God'. It seems you conflating religious belief with morality itself, or maybe thinking that because religion has influenced people's moral belief that it equates to it.

In China and ancient Greece, it was moral to expose babies to the elements and allow them to die. The Greeks reasoned that if the gods wanted the baby to live, it would. In our society--though there is a horrendous amount of child abuse--leaving a child to die is an immoral act. In fact, in the US, we argue over whether it is moral to withhold life saving methods to comatose patients who cannot breathe on their own.

Without 'God' we argue morality. That contradicts the idea that morality falls with 'God'.

I suggest that before we attempt to call someone else immoral, we first understand what morality is.

What do you mean by "good"? Do mean ethical or moral?

Is there a difference? Can something be ethical or moral and not be good?

Your arguments are circular. I gave clear examples on how "morality" rises and falls with the current deity. Since deities are constructed by humans, it follows that those ideas of morality were not handed down by the deity, but what the people in charge of the deity wanted them to be. Did you not understand "a society's CONCEPT of deity" means that the deity is given the attributes that a society wants it to have, thus embodying the ethics/morals of that society?

This is why "morality" has changed. When I was a girl 50s and 60s), having a baby out of wedlock was a shameful thing; now, many women have babies out of wedlock and have no shame (nor should they). In addition, few people lived together without the "benefit" of marriage; now, it is very commonplace.

So is it moral or immoral (a word that I don't use, but I will here) to have a baby without being married? Is it immoral to live together (or have sex) without being married?

But go further back in history and you'll find common-law "marriages." Long-term but unmarried coupes in today's world would have been married by default in decades past.

If you didn't understand my stance on deity and morality, let me make it clear: no god/dess dictated morality or ethics to humans. However, humans have long made this claim; kingdoms have been ruled by it and people have died for it.

You didn't explain "reality." As for trust being "man made," distrust stems from whichever sources as does trust, eh? How do you define "man made" in relation to trust? Explain how trust factors into ethics.

As for an ethical or moral stance being something other than "good," define "good." Is that good for the populace? The individual? I will use the example of human sacrifice again: in a culture that practices it, are the ideas of the lone person standing up in protest "good" ideas or "bad" ideas?

It also depends on the person holding the "moral" control. Is homosexuality "bad"? Who decides? How can it be "good" and acceptable in one culture but "bad" in another?

And "immoral" is not a word that I used or would use.

I have heard people rail against "unjust" laws, but shouldn't laws be ethical by their nature? I have even heard people say that a law might make an action legal, but that doesn't make it right. Then how did such laws come into being? Are they good? Are they ethical? Are they bad?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 01:12 PM
Ab, I will concede that there very well was (probable, even) that there was a man named Jesus.

I don't buy into his teachings, though, so I guess I don't have the dilemma of even considering that I might be Christlike. In fact, I don't think we even have a clear idea of what Jesus taught and what Paul thought he taught.

The lessons to be learned in the Christian Scriptures are found in most religions--there's certainly nothing new there!

How about How the Chrisgrinches Stole Jesus?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 12:57 PM
This line would work on me:

"Hilda Doolittle is every bit of the poet that TS Eliot is--so why isn't she more widely recognized and appreciated?"

I met my boyfriend in a chat room on yayhoo. The one liner in an IM from me that grabbed his interest was: "Ladies drink tea with their pinkies extended."

Different strokes.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Sat 01/15/11 12:52 PM
I didn't wade through all of the pages for this forum, but to anyone who followed it from the beginning, is "curvy" ever defined?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 06:39 PM
Erk.

I am, again, in a long distance relationship with the only man whom I have met in five years of dating with whom I thought there was a chance of a long-term relationship.

He dumped me twice and I dumped him once (though he says I dumped him twice). I don't think that either of us would have dumped the other had we lived in an hour or two driving time. He is in Chicago and I am in Springfield, MO.

There are so many variables in a scenario such as this that is almost impossible to say whose relationship will work and whose will not.

1. How well do you know this person? Have you met him/her in person? In-person meetings are different from email and phone conversations.

2. What is the distance?

3. If the distance is a quite a lot, does one or both parties have enough money and time to make regular visits?

4. Is one willing to move if it comes to that?

This period of the relationship has lasted five months. We have seen each other three times and have been in constant contact despite the fact that he has been to Australia, Sweden, England, and Germany. He has been in China for the last two months and is coming back to the US in a week.

I think it will last this time, but who knows? I teach and most of my classes are online; I can take my job with me anywhere in the US.

A couple cannot live on love alone: consider all aspects before truly committing to someone who is not next door.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 06:08 PM
Just don't discuss it. Your beliefs are yours. However, if you continue to attend a Christian church, you will most likely have to choose between staying and living a lie or leaving the church.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 06:04 PM
Talking to someone like abra is like banging your head anginst a brick wall.

Abra and I agree; I suppose we are two brick walls enclosing a courtyard.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 06:01 PM

Morals develop out of a need to amiably interact with other agents. The more social an agent, or group of agents become, the more important shared morals become.

Its this sense of agency that leads us into defining roles in a society, its the need for amiable interactions for the continuation of the society that lead to shared morals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sense_of_agency

Just my uneducated opinions.

That's what I said, just in a lot more words. (Grin.)

I can't believe that one of my online students said that I am "terse."

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 02:50 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Fri 01/14/11 02:51 PM

That's right Gwen. You see what people try to do here is mix religions. As you can see by your own post here, it does not work :)

One must be wrong. I assume your going to say that the bible is wrong and the earth is billions of years old.

I see. Dialogue closed--there are some things not worth debating, and the age of the earth is one.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 02:43 PM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Fri 01/14/11 02:48 PM

Gwen:All "moral" content is humanmade. The existence of a deity cannot be proven and the concept of deity varies from culture to culture. However, most cultures have similar standards for what is moral or ethical.

Well, I strongly disagree. Reality, trust, and many other things are necessary in morality. Those are things which are not man-made. Therefore, all moral content is also not manmade. There is no need to invoke a diety. Morality does not rise or fall with 'God'.

I don't know what you mean by "reality, trust, etc." are necessary in morality. Can you elucidate and elaborate?

Morality does rise and fall with the concept of a society's conception of deity. They used to burn and hang people as witches because god sanctioned it; while we still have "witch-hunts" in the modern Western word, they are largely allegorical and have different outcomes.

In China and ancient Greece, it was moral to expose babies to the elements and allow them to die. The Greeks reasoned that if the gods wanted the baby to live, it would. In our society--though there is a horrendous amount of child abuse--leaving a child to die is an immoral act. In fact, in the US, we argue over whether it is moral to withhold life saving methods to comatose patients who cannot breathe on their own.

At the most basic level, the "meaning" of life is to survive long enough to procreate, then to live long enough to ensure that our offspring survive long enough to procreate. Without this drive, our species would have become extinct long ago. So as we evolved into into thinking, conscious creatures (and even before), we found the best way to ensure the perpetuation of the species was to live in groups. Canines live in groups, as do elephants and other animals; not all do, but their "plan" for survival was through other channels.

Living in groups causes problems, though, so over time, we came up with "laws" to help regulate ourselves and ease the friction. Don't kill your neighbor, don't steal, don't lie, etc. Of course, we have a hard time obeying these rules, but they still exist. These rules didn't necessarily apply to those not within our clan, tribe, and later, towns and countries. You could raid the next village and steal a wife or goods. You could invade another country and kill the people there.

These things have moral content as well. We are necessarily social creatures, and are completely dependent upon others for our very survival for an extended period of time. That fact plays an important role in our developing codes of behavior. The above suggests that codes of behavior increase the liklihood of the group's overall well-being. It also denotes the importance for the consideration of what constitutes acting right and/or good to be constantly under review and include newly gained knowledge/information.

You basically reiterated what I said; did you not understand my point? As you say later in your post, "moral" vs "ethical" is an issue of semantics.

Religion and deity were probably used early on to control the populace; the control certainly existed within the earliest recorded history, and there is no doubt of the control of religious leaders before we invented writing. It sounds a lot better to say, "This law comes god" instead of saying, "Joe down the street says we should stop stealing." Gods are arbitrary, changing to meet the changing needs of humans.

In addition, the priest/esses or theocracy had the extra added incentive of punishment AFTER death.

I assume that you hold that these kinds of behaviors are wrong/should not have been done?

If you are asking me if I disapprove of religion being used to manipulate people, yes, I believe that such actions are unethical.

The Aztecs believed that if they didn't perform human sacrifices everyday, the universe would cease to exist. This did not violate their sense of morality, but rather supported it. When the Spaniards came into MesoAmerica, they found this practice abhorrent, so they slaughtered thousands of indigenous people to stop the practice AND to take their land and goods.

So, who was immoral?

Are you suggesting that neither was, that both were, or that one or the other was?

I am saying that the "moral" Christian Spaniards were no better than the "heathens" whom they slaughtered.

To me, most atheists exhibit more ethical standards than do Christians. Atheists choose to follow the laws of the land; they are not commanded to NOT kill, steal, or lie by the threat of punishment from a god. Is every atheist moral? No. Is every Christian or religious person moral? God, no.

So, who is... and perhaps most importantly, why is that the case?

I am not trying to be difficult, but I often don't understand what you are asking. Is the question why I (personally, not speaking from a statistical point) find atheist more ethical than Christians? Or are you asking me why atheists and Christians both demonstrate a combination of ethical and unethical behaviors?

I do distinguish between "morals" and "ethics," even though the dictionary would say they are synonymous. I connect morals with religiosity and ethics with cultural mores and standards. Morals largely have to do with sexual orientation, i.e. homosexuality.

All moral/ethical considerations involve establishing what constitutes good/bad and right/wrong. The only practical difference is not held in content, but in practice. Morals are usually considered personal, whereas ethical considerations are public applications concerning what is the best thing to do in the public/societal sphere.

Again, you reiterate what I wrote. Was I not clear enough?

One more thing: I also think it is our empathy that makes us "moral," and it seems we are born with empathy. The moral edict itself is not inherent, but our ability to empathize with others is. Psychopaths seemingly are born without the ability to put themselves in the place of others. In other cases, abuse can blunt or even destroy our empathy.

In great part, I don't want to hurt another person because I KNOW how it feels to be hurt. Because I have empathy, I choose not to hurt someone MOST of the time. My basic survival instincts are still within me, though, and I (as will most people) will choose to hurt someone who has hurt me.

so do you think hurting another just because you've been hurt is good?

What do you mean by "good"? Do mean ethical or moral?

I do not turn the other cheek, but it depends upon the severity of the act and the person's intent. I find that people who try to suppress their anger and hurt often bottle up inside and sometimes, it explodes. I would rather dose mine out in small portions and cause less damage.

Also, note that I said "my basic survival instincts are still within me," as they are within the vast majority of people (I would say all, but that is perhaps too much of a generalization).

Altruistic acts make me feel good, so I want to be kind.

I have no morals, but I am a very ethical person.

I suppose it does not really matter what you call them. They are apparently there, judging by this response. You may find yourself talking past people though if you insist upon claiming that you have no morals. There seems to be several different things that you would call good/bad and would be ok with with everyone acted in those ways.

Empathy is another critically important moral element.

I talk "past" people all the time, but my empathy prompts me to take the time (at least off forums) to explain.

I largely buy into society's definition of "evil"; when I gave the example of the Aztecs, I do not call them "evil" if their intent was to save the universe. Do I advocate human sacrifice? No, but I know people are sacrificed all over the world everyday--we just call it by other names.

However, I do not term "evil" some aspects termed so by segments of the population: homosexuality is not evil; polygamous marriages are not evil if all parties consent freely; sex outside of marriage is not evil; even adultery is not evil, though if both spouses are not aware and agreeable to the act, it is unethical. As you see, these have to do with sex, which most--if not all--religions largely regulate, MOST consensual sex is no one's business but the persons involved.

I wrestle with those aspects that abhor me, is a pedophile evil or "sick"? It doesn't matter: a person who harms children should be locked away, at the least. Same for rapists.

Hitler was evil: Pol Pot was evil: Idi Amin was evil--there are more, but you should understand my point.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 01:33 PM

With spring time and summer warmth, what are you people up 2 for plains ?

I plan to start a movement to return the plains to the deer and the antelope.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:48 AM
About noah, I don't think they had a bible back then. It was not till some time later that the law was written. You have to notice that at this time the earth was still young. Dinosaurs were around,The earth never got any rain, It was tropical all the time, and due to some outside recources there was an increased amount of oxygen which accounted for longer life spans. Like that of Methousala. Things were way different in the beginning. I doubt they even had books or paper much less stone tablets.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Are you saying that dinosaurs existed in the time of Noah? Is the earth only 6,000 years old?

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:46 AM

Someone gave me that advice, and look at me now: 220 lbs, going to the washroom every half hour like clockwork. (Water clock, an invention in the renaissance. Cinquecento.) I am definitely not merry.

It doesn't say "Eat, drink and be merry" in mass quantities until one is obese.

Carpe diem.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:43 AM
One more thing: I also think it is our empathy that makes us "moral," and it seems we are born with empathy. The moral edict itself is not inherent, but our ability to empathize with others is. Psychopaths seemingly are born without the ability to put themselves in the place of others. In other cases, abuse can blunt or even destroy our empathy.

In great part, I don't want to hurt another person because I KNOW how it feels to be hurt. Because I have empathy, I choose not to hurt someone MOST of the time. My basic survival instincts are still within me, though, and I (as will most people) will choose to hurt someone who has hurt me.

Altruistic acts make me feel good, so I want to be kind.

I have no morals, but I am a very ethical person.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:39 AM

Just curious to see what other people think about this idea. I mean it is obvious that we learn about them through language, but that doe not necessarily mean that all moral content is manmade. Trust is a fine example. We enact trust long before we actually comprehend what that is, or what it entails.

Is there any absolute good or bad? I mean there are certain human needs. Needs cannot be bad, can they?

All "moral" content is humanmade. The existence of a deity cannot be proven and the concept of deity varies from culture to culture. However, most cultures have similar standards for what is moral or ethical.

At the most basic level, the "meaning" of life is to survive long enough to procreate, then to live long enough to ensure that our offspring survive long enough to procreate. Without this drive, our species would have become extinct long ago.

So as we evolved into into thinking, conscious creatures (and even before), we found the best way to ensure the perpetuation of the species was to live in groups. Canines live in groups, as do elephants and other animals; not all do, but their "plan" for survival was through other channels.

Living in groups causes problems, though, so over time, we came up with "laws" to help regulate ourselves and ease the friction. Don't kill your neighbor, don't steal, don't lie, etc. Of course, we have a hard time obeying these rules, but they still exist.

These rules didn't necessarily apply to those not within our clan, tribe, and later, towns and countries. You could raid the next village and steal a wife or goods. You could invade another country and kill the people there.

Religion and deity were probably used early on to control the populace; the control certainly existed within the earliest recorded history, and there is no doubt of the control of religious leaders before we invented writing. It sounds a lot better to say, "This law comes god" instead of saying, "Joe down the street says we should stop stealing." Gods are arbitrary, changing to meet the changing needs of humans.

In addition, the priest/esses or theocracy had the extra added incentive of punishment AFTER death.

The Aztecs believed that if they didn't perform human sacrifices everyday, the universe would cease to exist. This did not violate their sense of morality, but rather supported it. When the Spaniards came into MesoAmerica, they found this practice abhorrent, so they slaughtered thousands of indigenous people to stop the practice AND to take their land and goods.

So, who was immoral?

To me, most atheists exhibit more ethical standards than do Christians. Atheists choose to follow the laws of the land; they are not commanded to NOT kill, steal, or lie by the threat of punishment from a god. Is every atheist moral? No. Is every Christian or religious person moral? God, no.

I do distinguish between "morals" and "ethics," even though the dictionary would say they are synonymous. I connect morals with religiosity and ethics with cultural mores and standards. Morals largely have to do with sexual orientation, i.e. homosexuality.

By the way, those who control the sex lives of a populace, control the populace.

Gwendolyn2009's photo
Fri 01/14/11 07:18 AM
Edited by Gwendolyn2009 on Fri 01/14/11 07:19 AM
I am extremely upset that my horoscope didn't tell me that my zodiac sign might have changed.

1 2 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 14 15