Community > Posts By > Nubby

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 07:49 PM

If I say that the sky is orange, should anyone expect to believe me? Should it require a positive belief to not accept that the sky is orange?

I am working over time here, I think this is pointless.

You have forgot. This isnt personal opion. We are talking about the definition of atheism.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 06:52 PM

I study to strengthen my faith.

So you aren't absolutely sure of what you believe? Why would you need to strengthen it if you were sure of it? I must be tired..

I have good reasons why I believe.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 06:47 PM

What does objective mean?

And again logical consistency is imperative to your argument. I am not sure you understand this.

intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

THe laws of logic have everything to do with this.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:57 PM

I am going for the original term, not the updated term,
The problem is my definition is not only simple but logically consistent. While yours is all over the place.

If you try to use logic to make your arguments then all of your arguments must then follow the same rules of logic.

Nubby, I am sorry bro, but you fail.

I GOT MINE from the Encyclopedia of Brittanica. Dont blame me. I want the objective definition, the original definition. Do you?

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:53 PM

Not sure about something THAT crazy and big, but people are being brainwashed every Wednesday and Sunday when they walk into their church. Giving their hard earned money away to these theives.

How do you know that?

I live in Alabama, the bible belt, there are about 4000 churches in my county. And I'm not overexaggerating. It's not complicated to see. I talk to people everyday, I hear about how much is given and have people knock on my door constantly wanting to spread the gospel.

I know enough.

You need to prove it wrong.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:46 PM
I am going for the original term, not the updated term,

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:45 PM

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: atheism
Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial. It is rooted in an array of philosophical systems. Ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Epicurus argued for it in the context of materialism. In the 18th century David Hume and Immanuel Kant, though not atheists, argued against traditional proofs for God's existence, making belief a matter of faith alone. Atheists such as Ludwig Feuerbach held that God was a projection of human ideals and that recognizing this fiction made self-realization possible. Marxism exemplified modern materialism. Beginning with Friedrich Nietzsche, existentialist atheism proclaimed the death of God and the human freedom to determine value and meaning. Logical positivism holds that propositions concerning the existence or nonexistence of God are nonsensical or meaningless.
Look nubby something I think you fail to understand, is that encyclopedia's and dictionaries are in the business of describing all possible ways to define a given term.

What this means that we cannot use every single variable in every single dictionary or encyclopedia to define what we mean, we must agree on it before setting out on this debate otherwise we sure to fail at conveying unintelligible statements.

There for I have specified what atheism is for me, and you have quoted others who's arguments you hold in esteem as well as a passage from an encyclopedia that favors your argument (who cant do that lol), I have at least made my rebuttals, you have done nothing to further this conversation.

While you are trying to do is form a logical, coherent, and undeniable claim that god MUST exist, all that I am doing is saying that there is no logical, nor empirical evidence to convince me of such a beings existence.

Describe to me how that is not atheism, also describe to me exactly how that is a positive assertion, please do so, as you have failed to do so as of yet.

Billy, your making atheism as a term subjective. I am looking for the original term.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:21 PM

Not sure about something THAT crazy and big, but people are being brainwashed every Wednesday and Sunday when they walk into their church. Giving their hard earned money away to these theives.

How do you know that?

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:18 PM
Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: atheism
Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Britannica Concise Encyclopedia

Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial. It is rooted in an array of philosophical systems. Ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Epicurus argued for it in the context of materialism. In the 18th century David Hume and Immanuel Kant, though not atheists, argued against traditional proofs for God's existence, making belief a matter of faith alone. Atheists such as Ludwig Feuerbach held that God was a projection of human ideals and that recognizing this fiction made self-realization possible. Marxism exemplified modern materialism. Beginning with Friedrich Nietzsche, existentialist atheism proclaimed the death of God and the human freedom to determine value and meaning. Logical positivism holds that propositions concerning the existence or nonexistence of God are nonsensical or meaningless.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:09 PM
Atheism is the belief that there is no God, from the negative a + theism. While atheism may broadly deny the existence of any god(s) or divine beings, it most often is a denial of the God revealed in the Bible. This may be contrasted with agnosticism, which neither affirms belief in God (theism) nor denies God (atheism) but leaves the question of the existence of God open or declares it unknowable.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 05:05 PM
I like you DavidBen.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 04:54 PM
Edited by Nubby on Fri 01/23/09 04:54 PM

I hear ya Krimsa.

Does this make me an "atheist"? Or more "agnostic"? Me not believing in the biblical sense of God.
Neither.

An atheist is merely the lack of belief in a god, agnostic is the belief that it is unknowable, you can believe in god and believe its unknowable and be an agnostic theist, or you could be an agnostic atheist. I would say I am the later.

I just tell people I'm non-religious...spiritual.

If you have a concept of god, and believe it to be true, you are probably either a theist, deist, pagan ect.

I guess spiritualist if you just believe in some kind of universal subconscious mind ect, I have heard that one before also.

Atheism is not lack of belief. It makes the claim "God does not exist"

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 03:37 PM

Why do I believe in GOD?

Because I chose to basically.

It's a personal choice that all must make on their own. To believe, or not.

Read, study, pray, ask.

God will always give you what you need but never more than you can handle.

I can respect that, and I do respect you sharp. If only all theist where like you. Sigh.
Its really called intellectually honesty. I myself do not have the answers, so regardless of our differences in belief we are in this together.
Cheers my friend!
drinker

I am sorry but Atheism affirms the non existence of God. Today the reality of this has hit, and the definition is being changed.
Another I am incapable of refuting you so "nahuh!" Nubby moment.
Fascinating.

1) So are you saying that what I have said has no basis in logic? Are you saying that?

2) Are you then saying that since the only way to not believe in god is by positively asserting that god cannot exist, there fore all beliefs are then structured the same way?

I await direct answers to these two questions?

I am saying your actually a skeptic.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:58 PM

Sorry, I know qoutes of atheists talking about there fear of being wrong.

That’s not what I am talking about though. A material atheist believes that once you die, you simply cease to be. Get it? Finito. Done. There is no judgment by some cosmic bad ass. No worries. Its lights out. Game over.

I understand

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:48 PM

I am sorry but Atheism affirms the non existence of God. Today the reality of this has hit, and the definition is being changed.

Seems to me that YOU changed the definition, to give yourself the illusion that you have good points. . .

No, I have heard this debated.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:47 PM
Sorry, I know qoutes of atheists talking about there fear of being wrong.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:32 PM

What real difference does it make in the end? It won’t matter until you are deceased. If it’s as the material atheists believe, then you won’t even be aware you are dead because everything ends at that point. If you are right and there is some kind of heaven, fine. The one difference is atheists don’t live in fear of anything.

You really believe that? Your dead wrong. I can give qoutes from philosophers who would say your dead wrong.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:27 PM

Nubby you do not even clearly articulate your arguments this is half your problem.

It is also clear you do not really think about, or are incapable of thinking or understanding the arguments of others.

This I can only assume because you have not even tried to refute anything that has been said.

You just make Nahuh statements.

The only argument you dealt with of mine was the Kalam argument. Your rebuttall was a you tube video. I dont fully understand that video, I leave it to those who defend the argument.
Very selective post reading, not true at all. Again a whole thread I created on the cosmological argument, also the idea of a positive assertion being required for every non-belief. Which is right here in this thread, and you have decided to ignored it like many other questions and positions you have ignored.

I have showed how that leads to absurdity by using an example of anything of which we do not believe and showing how absurd it would be and impossible to have a positive belief in the lack of something farcical.

I have not read the thread. Not out of ignorance. But call it what you want.

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:24 PM
Edited by Nubby on Fri 01/23/09 01:28 PM

Nubby's photo
Fri 01/23/09 01:19 PM

Nubby you do not even clearly articulate your arguments this is half your problem.

It is also clear you do not really think about, or are incapable of thinking or understanding the arguments of others.

This I can only assume because you have not even tried to refute anything that has been said.

You just make Nahuh statements.

The only argument you dealt with of mine was the Kalam argument. Your rebuttall was a you tube video. I dont fully understand that video, I leave it to those who defend the argument.