Community > Posts By > Traumer

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 03:28 PM

The worst I ever saw, and it haunts me still,
from such a great movie, was that female dance
partner opposite John Travolta in 'Saturday Night Fever.'

She was so awful, every time she came on screen
all the energy was sucked from the space.
She had no personality, she had been on a soap
opera..I think I have intentionally blasted her
name from my mind.

Best ever, had to be Tim Robbins in
'The Shawshank Redemption' along
with Morgan Freeman.

She was starnge; Gorny or something...
In some photos. she reminds me of Sigourney Weaver while in another, she reminds me of Kate Mulgrew.
Morgan Freeman, is ALWAYS good, no matter what he appears in; a lot more versatile than Sidney Poitier for example, I think.

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 02:48 PM
Edited by Traumer on Fri 04/12/13 02:49 PM

Haha sometimes you have to wonder what they were thinking when making some of these casting decisions.

Well, at least in one area of casting, some significant improvement has been noted; Oriental characters are now played by Oriental people, same for American Native roles to be played by Native Americans and no more blackface for white performers to play Negroes. That was just so bizarre...though not 100% true of roles portraying East Indians, barring Peter Sellers in The Party. And for Arabic roles, 'not enough Arab actors or actress's...if anyone ever does a film about the Ayatollah Khomeini, perhaps Sean Connery can play him as he looks very much like him with a beard...:laughing:

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 02:36 PM
Edited by Traumer on Fri 04/12/13 02:38 PM

Damn I'm tired, I've been shoveling rocks all day, making my granny a driveway............ I need a jointsmokin :banana:

I envy those that can drink and do drugs without negative consequences. I miss getting high and wasted
; I also hate being laid up at home...oh, so boring....ohwell

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 02:30 PM

juxtareading

Wow. I just learned a new word. :smile:

Voice-over

In Georgia, in TV series, original soundtracks are kept and Georgian text is spoken by a lector. Films are always subtitled besides films broadcast on Global Media Group channels.

In Poland cinema releases for general audiences are almost exclusively subtitled, with the exception of children's movies, and television screenings of movies, as well as made-for-TV shows, are usually shown with voice-over, where a voice talent reads a translation over the original soundtrack. This method, called juxtareading, is similar to the so-called Gavrilov translation in Russia, with one difference—all dialogues are translated with only one acute, and usually male voice, preferably deep and neutral, that does not interfere with the pitch of voice of the original speakers in the background. To some extent, it resembles live translation. Certain highly qualified lectors are traditionally assigned to a particular kind of production, such as action or drama. Standard dubbing is not widely popular with most audiences, with the exception of cartoons and children's shows, which are dubbed also for TV releases.

Some films are better than others with or without subtitles or dubbing from different countries; it's all a matter of how one views it.
In many of the early Japanese Sci-Fi/ monster films, it was always Raymond Burr or Nick Adams, it seems and they both were given the time for language instructions to dub their films along with others, while in the Honk Kong movie industry, it was a policy , one would think to dub them badly like some sort of joke, plus it would take, in many instances an actor would speak for several seconds and in English he only says 2 words...it was worse with subtitles; an actor speaks or yells for about 15 seconds and in the subtitle you get 2 or 3 words in English. The worst and funniest were some of the Polish re-makes of American Westerns, like Gunfight At The OK Corral or Shane. ( Mexican version was also made of OK Corral, just as insane but funny) They were worse than any cheap low budget un-used back lot film shot on weekends, full of wrong props, by Ed Wood, while with the Hong Kong ones, most of their signs were upside down including ones in their own language; how did they do that!:laughing: I have a few books on the outrageous 'blurbs' from movies made in Hong Kong. I'd love to see a remake of Gunga Din by Bollywood! Probably with songs and dances during critical battle scenes...I've been waiting for years to see the Mexican version of The Alamo; shame that Peter Sellers and Peter Ustinov (who did Viva Max),have died...
Speaking of books that one should/ must have on films is "Filthy"; The World of John Walters by Robert L. Pela; The Worst Movies Of All Time by Michael Sauter;342 pages and one of my best books on this topic: "The Incredibly Strange Film Book" by Jonathan Ross, 1993; 289 pages of delight! In a conversation with him, I found out that the popular film The Day After was actually done back in 1933; the first film to use scale models of cities hit by the tsunamis. Neat! It won awards for the special effects at that time. Original films are becoming a rarity more and more.

What I hate the most about the import movies is the dumb rules they have to fallow when released into a country. Like when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were released in Europe they Change the Title to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. Here in the US I remember hear some of the directors’ change what was said because they didn’t think the viewer would understand a cultural reference. Also the FCC gets into the editing saying that certain things have to be taken out or changed.

In Germany they released the first Batman and Robin movies as Batmench Und Fledermaus; understood as Men who are Bats and Bat...laugh No one was quite sure what the movie was about, so on the second day, they reverted to English, then the crowds came...
When Dr. Strangelove came out , the title in German, meant only some sort of perverted erotic pleasures...at best it was "Weird Love" in English, open to all sorts of meanings...Gunfight At the OK Corral, in Polish was Gangsters In the OK Stables, then became Battle of the OK Stables....I love strange translations :laughing:

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 02:17 PM

Fastest way EVER to turn me away, tell me about
all your 'stuff' that you have accumulated.

I begin picturing them without all their 'stuff'
and usually there is simply nothing left of them.

('Stuff' is usually, cars, planes, motels, businesses,
jewelry, oh yeah flash all that gold too, homes, etc.)

My extremely wise Grandmother(20 years ago)gave me a little method to help uncover what you really know about a person you’re dating. In your mind, take away his car, his home, his toys and clothes, put him in an old pair of jeans and T-shirt and throw him in a cabin in the woods for a few days. Now what do you know about him?

If you don't like what you know, you can always just leave them there to starve what ....in your mind of course. :laughing:

About 20 years ago? With your Grandmere's advice, you're lucky that you didn't run into Ted Kaczynski. He loved to go to his little cabin, dress in old clothes, like jeans and a T-shirt, and make all sorts of things for people he knew...laugh

slaphead Hadn't thought about that.

That one I'd have left to starve I think. :wink: laugh

It always made me think of Thoreau actually. :thumbsup:

My Grandmother went from a very simple and humble way of life straight into the jowls of inner city life. I don't think she ever REALLY recovered from that sudden shock in lifestyle. tongue2
[/quote

I agree about Kaczynski; shame he didn't starve.
I envy people who can have companionship. I always drink alone.
Thanks for the visit,BTW; was going to send you a flower and say Thanks, but I'm blocked; nearly 100...:wink:

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 01:48 PM

Are you really think you can find your love in here? I mean are we so despereates? Or why we can just let things move alone . I dont knowif someone understand me ,

We are all desperados, roaming this range looking for the cactus flowers but finding more cactus...laugh

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 11:35 AM

While I can think of many, 3 really stand out:
Tony Curtis as a Viking in the film The Vikings
and Richard Widmark as a Viking in the movie, The Long Ships...
The absolute worse was John Wayne as Gengis Khan; it also stands as one of the worst Hollywood versions of history ever; wrong Emperor of China, wrong children in the wrong roles along with those closest to him. The remake with Omar Sharif, wasn't much better, but they at least got the Emperor of china correct and he was not the grandson of Genghis who had not yet been born! Nor did he use the old Hollywood cliche line,"Let's head 'em off at the pass." Evan Jack Palance was a better choice; he could have played the entire Mongol Horde all by himself!laugh
Speaking of Hollywood films vs. reality history, I love George MacDonald's book "The Hollywood History Of The World", a must to keep handy for the trash that are labelled as "Epics"...Fraser is the writer of all the Flashman books, btw. Hilarious and dead on facts of history in all his footnotes which made all the Flashman books so enjoyable for me.

laugh Right you are; forgot about that payed someone called Onimosho; Yuniosho... or something...saw it only twice many, many years ago and lost interest both times...

That reminds me of Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 11:26 AM
Edited by Traumer on Fri 04/12/13 11:30 AM

juxtareading

Wow. I just learned a new word. :smile:

Voice-over

In Georgia, in TV series, original soundtracks are kept and Georgian text is spoken by a lector. Films are always subtitled besides films broadcast on Global Media Group channels.

In Poland cinema releases for general audiences are almost exclusively subtitled, with the exception of children's movies, and television screenings of movies, as well as made-for-TV shows, are usually shown with voice-over, where a voice talent reads a translation over the original soundtrack. This method, called juxtareading, is similar to the so-called Gavrilov translation in Russia, with one difference—all dialogues are translated with only one acute, and usually male voice, preferably deep and neutral, that does not interfere with the pitch of voice of the original speakers in the background. To some extent, it resembles live translation. Certain highly qualified lectors are traditionally assigned to a particular kind of production, such as action or drama. Standard dubbing is not widely popular with most audiences, with the exception of cartoons and children's shows, which are dubbed also for TV releases.

Some films are better than others with or without subtitles or dubbing from different countries; it's all a matter of how one views it.
In many of the early Japanese Sci-Fi/ monster films, it was always Raymond Burr or Nick Adams, it seems and they both were given the time for language instructions to dub their films along with others, while in the Honk Kong movie industry, it was a policy , one would think to dub them badly like some sort of joke, plus it would take, in many instances an actor would speak for several seconds and in English he only says 2 words...it was worse with subtitles; an actor speaks or yells for about 15 seconds and in the subtitle you get 2 or 3 words in English. The worst and funniest were some of the Polish re-makes of American Westerns, like Gunfight At The OK Corral or Shane. ( Mexican version was also made of OK Corral, just as insane but funny) They were worse than any cheap low budget un-used back lot film shot on weekends, full of wrong props, by Ed Wood, while with the Hong Kong ones, most of their signs were upside down including ones in their own language; how did they do that!:laughing: I have a few books on the outrageous 'blurbs' from movies made in Hong Kong. I'd love to see a remake of Gunga Din by Bollywood! Probably with songs and dances during critical battle scenes...I've been waiting for years to see the Mexican version of The Alamo; shame that Peter Sellers and Peter Ustinov (who did Viva Max),have died...
Speaking of books that one should/ must have on films is "Filthy"; The World of John Walters by Robert L. Pela; The Worst Movies Of All Time by Michael Sauter;342 pages and one of my best books on this topic: "The Incredibly Strange Film Book" by Jonathan Ross, 1993; 289 pages of delight! In a conversation with him, I found out that the popular film The Day After was actually done back in 1933; the first film to use scale models of cities hit by the tsunamis. Neat! It won awards for the special effects at that time. Original films are becoming a rarity more and more.

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 10:34 AM
Edited by Traumer on Fri 04/12/13 10:37 AM
While I can think of many, 3 really stand out:
Tony Curtis as a Viking in the film The Vikings
and Richard Widmark as a Viking in the movie, The Long Ships...
The absolute worse was John Wayne as Gengis Khan; it also stands as one of the worst Hollywood versions of history ever; wrong Emperor of China, wrong children in the wrong roles along with those closest to him. The remake with Omar Sharif, wasn't much better, but they at least got the Emperor of china correct and he was not the grandson of Genghis who had not yet been born! Nor did he use the old Hollywood cliche line,"Let's head 'em off at the pass." Evan Jack Palance was a better choice; he could have played the entire Mongol Horde all by himself!laugh
Speaking of Hollywood films vs. reality history, I love George MacDonald's book "The Hollywood History Of The World", a must to keep handy for the trash that are labelled as "Epics"...Fraser is the writer of all the Flashman books, btw. Hilarious and dead on facts of history in all his footnotes which made all the Flashman books so enjoyable for me.

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 10:15 AM
Edited by Traumer on Fri 04/12/13 10:17 AM

I prefer the term partner.

So far, of all the polite socially and politically correct terms is, to me, the absolute worst and very demeaning term "significant other"; not only is it totally devoid of any real human connection/emotional relationship but it begs the question, other what?
While this seemingly innocuous term may be 'politically correct' in many circles of un-real people it does relegate someone who is part of one's intimate life to nothing more than an insignificant other being...Even the street lingo terms seem more human and connected.
As far as the term 'human beings' go, it really would be more accurate to replace it with my favourite term; Bozosapiens...
:laughing:

Traumer's photo
Fri 04/12/13 09:59 AM

Fastest way EVER to turn me away, tell me about
all your 'stuff' that you have accumulated.

I begin picturing them without all their 'stuff'
and usually there is simply nothing left of them.

('Stuff' is usually, cars, planes, motels, businesses,
jewelry, oh yeah flash all that gold too, homes, etc.)

My extremely wise Grandmother(20 years ago)gave me a little method to help uncover what you really know about a person you’re dating. In your mind, take away his car, his home, his toys and clothes, put him in an old pair of jeans and T-shirt and throw him in a cabin in the woods for a few days. Now what do you know about him?

If you don't like what you know, you can always just leave them there to starve what ....in your mind of course. :laughing:

About 20 years ago? With your Grandmere's advice, you're lucky that you didn't run into Ted Kaczynski. He loved to go to his little cabin, dress in old clothes, like jeans and a T-shirt, and make all sorts of things for people he knew...laugh

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 08:08 PM
After reading these, I'm thinking that perhaps we should all go cool off in a shower...Cinderella included, of course...:laughing:

"Someone interested in the same things as me.

Someone as fascinated with old dusty antique shops and forgotten out of the way books stores as myself. Someone who finds white picket fences and the two car garage on Walnut Street too confining and suffocating. Someone who wants to create, build, explore, sculpt and redefine love and what it means to be "alive", respect and communication above all else... in short my partner in this unexplored world.

Toss in extreme bouts of humor and a nice healthy interest in the odd and bizarre and searching auctions and marketplaces to find them."

There are women like this???? Oh don't I wish....ohwell

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 07:57 PM
An acquaintance had a bad day it seems: "Had a lousy morning at the gym,some a..hole stole my watch, I sincerely hopes he dies of syphilis an' that now ex of mine, I put poison ivy on her underwear so she would think that she had a disease...."

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 02:13 PM

All men are afraid of eyelash curlers. They don't understand them and don't want to be near them. Sleep with one under your pillow instead of a gun...laugh

rofl

ewwww....
ok, to paraphrase Al Capone,You can get much further with a kind word and an eyelash curler than you can with a gun alone...laugh

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 01:09 PM

Man, let me to think about this. I grew up watching WWII movies.

I can name a couple of TV shows about WWII that I enjoyed: Black Sheep Squadron and Hogan's Heroes... yeah, I know that one's comedy and goofy, but I still like it and watch it in reruns to this day.

Let's see... WWII Movies I like...

The aforementioned Tora, Tora, Tora!
The Great Escape
Battle of Britain
The Dirty Dozen
The Best Years of Our Lives
Twelve O'Clock High
From Here To Eternity
In Harm's Way

On the comedy side, there's Operation Petticoat (come to think of it, I liked the TV series based on it too). And the comedy/parody 1941.

Even science fiction gets a look in, with The Final Countdown, another film I really enjoyed.

Loved Operation Petticoat it is so true to how many must scrounge for needed items in war...it certainly prepared me to get things!laugh
Thoroughly enjoyed Final Countdown and still view it.
Some of my WW2 favourite war films are:
The Young Lions
Where Eagles dare
The Bridge
A Bridge Too Far
Catch 22
Cross of Iron
Is Paris Burning?
Mother Night
A Time To Love And A Time To Die
The Train
A Walk In The Sun
and The Sorrow And The Pity; all 8 and a half hours! Superb!

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 12:26 PM
All men are afraid of eyelash curlers. They don't understand them and don't want to be near them. Sleep with one under your pillow instead of a gun...laugh

Traumer's photo
Thu 04/11/13 09:30 AM
"Don't look for happiness...It'll only make you miserable."
Beatrice Arthur, in the film Lovers and Other Strangers

Traumer's photo
Wed 04/10/13 01:54 PM
Tofu fried in bacon fat...ohwell

Traumer's photo
Wed 04/10/13 09:16 AM

Hi i am intrested up with u .why not u answer me

Maybe because you cant write or speak English??

I think that she may be looking for John Boy, who moved out of that little house on the prarie and became a drugstore cowboy. Last anyone heard, he was a male dancer down in a Tijuana brothel...laugh

Traumer's photo
Tue 04/09/13 09:16 PM
Edited by Traumer on Tue 04/09/13 09:16 PM

My vagina:laughing: tongue2

Do you have an owner and operators manual for that device?laugh
There is a good one available called Vaginas: An Owner's Manual by Dr. Carol Livoti and Elizabeth Topp.
Have you taken yours to see /hear the play The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler; it's now out on DVD and if you haven't seen or heard it, it is simply hilarious; you may enjoy it....:wink: