Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Sun 12/11/11 08:11 AM
like fear, anger is also an emotion which quite often leads to violence. indeed, humans may experience anger more often and with greater intensity than many other speacies known to be naturally violent. whather a shark, for instance, ever attacks out of anger i wouldn't know but my guess would be that hunger drives it's violence more than anything. man obviously kills often simply to eat as does the shark. a stockyard to raise cattle to be butchered is not a crime but to kill a human or even a pet out of anger is as society has matured has become a crime. it seems quite obvious to me that anger, greed, envy, jealousy and such are emotions that occur naturally in humans moreson than other species and it's tough to argue that these emotions do not often lead to violent tendencies. couple that emotional violence with violence caused by simple survival instinct and i'd say humans not only are naturally violent but perhaps the most violent minded creatures on the planet.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 12/11/11 07:46 AM

and yet so often i read in a profile, "friends first."

What does this have to do with the thread?

He mighta been responding to what I said. I was saying its one thing for a friend to drop by, but a potential romantic interest, not so much.

actually the point i was trying to make is that in this thread several posts have indicated that a friend dropping by is not a problem and "friends fist" appears in many profiles. so is someone who says that in their profile not at least a friend of someone they are interested in for romance? if not then what is it to be "friends first"???

jrbogie's photo
Sun 12/11/11 04:50 AM
i can't imagine giving a thought to anything i might get from my ex. but then she's past history. your ex obviously isn't.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 12/10/11 05:02 AM
good luck proving that humans are not violent by nature. as you've said, violent crime in america has been in constant decline just the past few decades. as civilization has matured it's been a tough roe to hoe getting beyond our violent tendencies. that violent crime continues to drop only through strict enforcment as evidenced by our record high prison population will attest to a naturally violen species where violence is curbed only by enforcement and punishment.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 12/08/11 06:54 AM

Real conservatives don't want more government.

There is a distinction between republicans and conservatives.

quite true as illustrated by a predominantly democrat voting base in california where prop eight was passed to ban gay marriage by both religious concervative democrats and republicans. if big government intervention in marriage is not a case of more government in our lives i can't imagine what is.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 12/08/11 04:42 AM

@Jrbogie

Once again, I'll throw it out there that I'm just trying to understand the aspects of this issue. No one on here actually knows my own stance on the subject as I have not posted it.
If you wish to call me a Nazi, at least take a minute to gain an idea of my actual opinion instead of what you assume from what is a learning experience for me. rofl

i never called you a nazi or anything else. i never personally attack a poster. my comments were directed at what you posted. i'd never assume to know your thinking and never suggested that the thinking i commented on was yours. in fact i associated that line of thinking with hitler. you say your in this for a learning experience that's great. now you've learned how i feel about selective abortion to purify a species from whatever disease happens to be in the minds of those in power.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 12/08/11 04:27 AM
my ex is a gemeni as am i and i've never seen two less compatible people in my life. that marriage was as big a mistake as her believing that there's actually something to astrology.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 11:32 AM
so often lately i here conserbatives actually fighting the idea of less government in our lives. goes to illustrate why i'm a member of no party. here we have government actually repealing laws about how we conduct ourselves in the bedroom and it's the more conservative, less government crowd that's complaining.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 11:20 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 12/07/11 11:25 AM

@Spidercmb (I know it's a bit late to reply)

What I meant earlier was that if a woman has a genetic disease and winds up pregnant through whatever means, it increases the risk that their children will inherit the faulty gene and be either carriers or those affected by it. In the long run, if those women were banned from aborting, we would be increasing the likelihood of children born with genetic diseases and therefore reliant on government aid.

The kinds of diseases (genetic) I am talking about are those like

Muscular Dystrophies of the various types,
Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1
Spinal Bulbar Muscular Atrophy
Paramyotonia Congenita
Central Core Disease
Nemaline Myopathy
Etc..

@Msharmony, I know we already went over this, I'm just clarifying.

i have tons of problems with this line of thinking. first off, it sounds like something right out of hitler's "mein kampf". laws to keep the races pure? then there's the question of who decides which "diseased women" can have babies and who cannot. but the most glaring aspect of this post comes in the idea that a woman would choose to abort a pregnacy that happened "through whatever means". other than artificial insemination i know of only one other means to get pregnent and it has nothing to do with dirty public toilet seats. i here often heard conservative religious types saying that abortion should be illegal 'except in cases of rape and incest.' to those i ask' is a human fetus caused by rape or incest any less a human fetus than that conceived by an unwed teen or an extramarital affair?

i think the court got roe v wade right. a woman does have an equal right to due process as a man in this country. but at the same time i adhore the thought of a woman choosing abortion for ANY reason other than her own health. just because the government says you can have a choice doesn't mean there's not a wrong choice and in my mind depriving a fetus of life for any reason than risk to the woman is a wrong choice. still, a choice that the government should stay out of.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 08:53 AM

jrbogie,

I don't have time to give you the history lesson you need, but here are the high points.

The Founders did not intend and the Constitution does not grant the Supreme Court the authority to rule a law unconstitutional. The reason should be obvious, but I will explain. Said authority would allow nine unelected judges power over every single person in the country. The original three branches of Government were: Executive, Legislative and Senate.

simply dead wrong. first of all the senate is and always has been a part of the legislative branch. and you say i need a history lesson? i wouldn't induldge in your personal innuendo but i will say that article three giving judicial power to the courts was in the unamended constitution as agreed to by the founders.

If an unconstitutional law were passed through all three branches, it could be fixed in the future.
all three branches are never involved in passing laws. that's the sole domain of the legislative branch. yes the president has the veto but that can be overruled again by congress. and of course the courts have the power to rule on the constitutional merits of such laws when challenged.

In Marbury v Madison, the Supreme Court made a power grab, which gave them the authority to rule on the Constitutionality of a law. They have become the final arbiters of the fate of every American and beyond. Now ask yourself if you would want a Supreme Court of 5 Conservatives making those decisions. Can you not see the superiority of the people being able to control their own lives and correct mistakes of past generations or do you really think it's better for the millions of Americans to be under the rule of five unelected judges? The way it's supposed to work is that if the majority of the Congress, the Senate and the President all agree that a law is unconstitutional, then it's unconstitutional. This allowed for the correction of past mistakes and avoided the problem of Judicial Oligarchy under which we now find ourselves.
marbury v madison being the first subject in every ameirican law school i'm well aware of it's implications, none of which gave the court any more power than it already had. if anybody was the power monger it was then president thomas jefferson. at any rate, had marbury not happened as it did, there would be no judicial oversight today.

As for Roe v Wade being good law...Edward Lazarus, who was clerk for Justice Blackmun (the Justice who wrote the Roe v Wade ruling) said the following "As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible....Justice Blackmun’s opinion provides essentially no reasoning in support of its holding. And in the almost 30 years since Roe’s announcement, no one has produced a convincing defense of Roe on its own terms". This from a man who loved and respected Justice Blackmun.

Many liberal lawyers and judges, including at least two who have sat on the Supreme Court have criticized the Roe v Wade ruling. The reason for that is simple, it's very bad law. You can't find support for Roe v Wade in the Constitution and they know it, despite the fact that they support "abortion rights".

i never suggested that roe was good law. i simply pointed out that not everybody agrees on what is good application of law and what is legislating from the bench. you just illustrated my point.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 07:56 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 12/07/11 07:59 AM

it's just curious that you want less government except in the lives of women.

That's ridiculous. I want the Federal Government to stop telling women that they can kill their babies. The unborn baby is a human being who is granted rights by our Declaration of Independence and our Constitution.

As it is, no voters or citizens have a say in making abortion legal. We get to decide if a murderer can be executed in our state, but we can't decide if millions of innocent babies can be killed every year? How does that make sense?

your big on asking where things are stated in the constitution. here's one back atcha. where in roe v wade does it say that women can kill their babies? the ruling struck down laws. it made none. it was based on the fourteenth amendment's equal due process clause. are you saying women should not be afforded equal due process of law?

and of course the declaration of independence is not law nor does the constitution grant any rights. yes, it PROTECTS certain inalieanble rights but it grants none. those we had at birth.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 07:47 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 12/07/11 07:51 AM

Yes it does, that doesn't make it good law and it doesn't make it constitutional.

but no law is unconstitutional unless and until it is declared so by a federal court. what you and i think is unconstitutional is moot as the law goes.

Your point is? Can you show me where in the Constitution, the Supreme Court was given the power to legislate from the bench?

as i've said, what you see as legislating from the bench many others see as good application of the law.

Does Article III give the Supreme Court the authority to find a law Unconstitutional? I'll give you a hint: No, it does not.

indeed it does. sec. 2, art III; "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States,................" etc. tons of case history on federal court rulings on unconstitutional law can be traced to this clause in article three.

I don't need too, actual lawyers have done that for years.

and yet roe still reigns.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 07:12 AM
is there a restrition about who can bring what complaint to the un?

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 07:08 AM
it's just curious that you want less government except in the lives of women.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 07:05 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Wed 12/07/11 07:09 AM

so as a republican you want to reduce regulation. i agree wholeheartedly. i'm for less government involvement in our lives. and easy to go with lower taxes too. but would repealing roe v wade not mean more government involvement and regulation in the lives of half the people in america? republicans and democrats are very selective about where government is to big.

Roe v Wade is the Supreme Court imposing their opinion on abortion on all 50 states. The Constitution doesn't grant the Federal Government (little less the Supreme Court) the authority to make decisions on Abortion for the states, so that power belongs at the state level per the 10th Amendment. Roe v Wade should be repealed and every state should pass their own laws to allow or disallow abortion.

do you not think that the civil rights acts apply to all the states? the tenth amendment does not in any way restrict federal government from imposing nationwide laws. the tenth mendment merely reserves to the states power not deligated to the federal government to the states. article three clearly defines the powers deligated to the judiciary. but hey, if you think you can make a case to overturn roe, go for it.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 06:55 AM

it's always, "legislating from the bench" when a ruling goes against you.

Yes, exactly! Because I'm on the right side of the issue, the side of freedom.

and a woman's freedom to choose is not the right side of the issue?

many in america see it as equal justice. but of course what you and i think of the ruling is moot. fact is it hasn't been overturned even with predominantly concervative justices in the majority. wondering how if it's so easily overturned it's lasted these decades?

There are 9 seats on the Supreme Court, there hasn't been five Conservative / Libertarian justices on the Supreme Court since before Roe v Wade.

actually five of the current justices were appointed by conservative republican presidents. and the decision itself was hardly along political lines as seven justices were in the majority.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 06:40 AM

Not all who are pro-life are Republican. I am not a Republican and I am not pro-life for religious reasons. I am pro-life because babies are human beings with the right to live. I agree that abortion solves a lot of societal problems quickly and easily. But, so would any form of execution.

I am also not opposed to social welfare programs. I am all for them. We would have plenty of money for social welfare programs if we just cut out the waste and fraud in these programs.

I agree. I was pro-life before I was a Christian. I'm a Republican with a capital "R" and libertarian with a lower case "l" and I support social welfare programs to a degree. I think it would be more socially advantageous for us to reduce taxation and regulation and eliminate the minimum wage, so that more people could have jobs. More jobs means fewer people who need welfare.

so as a republican you want to reduce regulation. i agree wholeheartedly. i'm for less government involvement in our lives. and easy to go with lower taxes too. but would repealing roe v wade not mean more government involvement and regulation in the lives of half the people in america? republicans and democrats are very selective about where government is to big.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 06:29 AM
it's always, "legislating from the bench" when a ruling goes against you. many in america see it as equal justice. but of course what you and i think of the ruling is moot. fact is it hasn't been overturned even with predominantly concervative justices in the majority. wondering how if it's so easily overturned it's lasted these decades?

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 06:25 AM

can't happen. roe v wade, you see.

Roe v Wade could easily be overturned. It's one of the worst legal rulings on the books. It's an obvious example of legislation from the bench.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 12/07/11 06:03 AM

If a strict Pro-Life policy was put in place and women in the U.S. were banned from getting abortions, where would that put the United States in the future? Since the Pro-Life stance seems to be mostly a Republican based theme, wouldn't it be a little conflicting to the other Republican supported idea of cutting into/eliminating welfare programs?

I mean, if it was truly and utterly pro-life, then that means that women that had genetic physical or psychological disabilities wouldn't be able to abort and that would increase the number of children born with those disabilities in the long-term. And if those children grew up and were unable to function in society and were unable to get care from families for one reason or another, they would be reliant on welfare programs and need more taxpayer dollars to support them.

I'm just curious. what

can't happen. roe v wade, you see.

1 3 5 6 7 8 9 24 25