Community > Posts By > Eljay

Eljay's photo
Mon 04/06/09 09:55 PM

:smile: What is wrong with humans coming into existence through the process of evolution?:smile: What is the big deal about that?:smile:

:smile: Who was Charles Darwin and what did he say?:smile:

Because Abiogenesis is impossible to prove. As a matter of fact - science is continually disproving it. Yet it is the cornerstone of Evolution. Kind of odd when your scientific experiments disprove your cornerstone. Wouldn't you say?

Eljay's photo
Mon 04/06/09 09:53 PM

Are you suggesting that the bible offers better, more empirical evidence that world is significantly younger? Are you implying creationism is a more plausible option?

My post was about evolution. I don't see any more plausible evidence to Evolution than I do Creatioism. The "belief" in either as an explination of origins is totally based on faith. Any observation of mutational change or natural selection is as easily explained by Creationism as it is by evolutional theory. The beief of either one depends solely o one's world view and what they chose to put their faith in. Since neither evolution nor Creationism can be scientifically proven - neither is science.

I understand your beliefs a little more now, thanks for sharing. Can I assume that you are familiar with the scientific process then? I don't see how you could suggest that there is not more empirical evidence for evolution than creationism. Evolution even according the scientists who study it on a full-time basis is not a complete science. No one claims that it is fully understood, but that does not take away from the science of it. We don't fully understand gravity, but you don't see any sane person religious or not questioning it. If you believe in neither creationism nor evolution, do you have an alternative hypothesis?

Yes, I am quite familiar with the scientific process, and much like everyone else on these threads, believe that there is a deeper understanding of scientific theory, and a higher degree of accuracy now than there's ever been before. However, I think there is a necessity for a line to be drawn when it comes to conclusions of the past based on the observations of today. And - also, there as been, and will continue to be a great amount of deception and mis-information diseminated from the world of evolution - as much has there has been in the word of religion. Just as there are hundreds - if not thousands of "false prophets" in religion - using it as a means to their own ends, so too are there hundreds, if not thousands of scientists who's very livelyhood requires that evolution be "accepted" - despite whether it's true or not. This is where the subtlety of "conjecture" turns into "universal truth". Some prime examples of this are Haeckels Law, long proven to be a hoax, yet still included in every science book taught in schools, Lucy and the "imagined" models created from a torso of which only 40 % of it's parts were found, Piltdown man, Nebraska man (in reality, a tooth of a pig) - and the list goes on.

I just don't see any emperical evidence for Evolution, and I don't find the premises for dating an old earth to be acceptable. Too many unanswered questions to believe that dating anything older than 5 or 6 thousand years is even possible. It's just "wishful thinking" that "given the premises to be true" of materials "believed" to be ancient were in fact what they are claimed to be when they were in their "original" (or parent) state, given the observation of the daughter status.

My position on Creationism is from the mere perspective of observation (seeing the world outside my front door) and the complexity of life. Though I have never, and will never claim there is "evidence" for a creation - I see no reason to think it is disprovable. I do, however, think that many claims of evolution are disprovable. Due simply to the fact that the continued experiments to transform one species (or kind if you will) into another has a zero percent success rating. Also - despite the fact that we can observe mutation _within_ a species, it has yet to be shown, under any circumstance, that any DNA information has been ADDED within these mutations. It's only been demonstrated that information is lost.

I don't think that any of the alternative theories (UFO's for example, or alien hosts) are any more plausable than either Evolution or Creationism, and need a great deal more "faith" to believe in them than either of the main two that are discussed. I think the option lies with Abiogenisis or Creationism, and either one is only true on a faith based level. Three's just no means to take it beyond that using either science - or empirical evidence.
It centers largely on one's world view, and how they determine to interpret the facts. some see fossils and precieve them to be within the tree of evolution, and millions of years old, others see a fossil and believe it was created, and no more than 6,000 years old. Science can do nothing to prove either of them correct, as too much information is missing which can never be recreated, or accumulated to insure the accuracy of interpretation.

And I don't think that belief in one - negates the other. Just because one erson has belief in one world view does nothing to discredit belief in the other.

:smile: Evolution is more plausible because because there is evidence all around us in nature.:smile:

But evolution can't even explain the nature we see all around us. Ever examine the evolutionary account of how birds got their wings? Rediculoius, and the observable evidence contradicts the theory.
There are numerous developments of animals that are not explained by evolution. "We're working on that" they say.

My requirements for plausability are a bit higher than "We're working on that".

Eljay's photo
Mon 04/06/09 09:49 PM

Are you suggesting that the bible offers better, more empirical evidence that world is significantly younger? Are you implying creationism is a more plausible option?

My post was about evolution. I don't see any more plausible evidence to Evolution than I do Creatioism. The "belief" in either as an explination of origins is totally based on faith. Any observation of mutational change or natural selection is as easily explained by Creationism as it is by evolutional theory. The beief of either one depends solely o one's world view and what they chose to put their faith in. Since neither evolution nor Creationism can be scientifically proven - neither is science.

I understand your beliefs a little more now, thanks for sharing. Can I assume that you are familiar with the scientific process then? I don't see how you could suggest that there is not more empirical evidence for evolution than creationism. Evolution even according the scientists who study it on a full-time basis is not a complete science. No one claims that it is fully understood, but that does not take away from the science of it. We don't fully understand gravity, but you don't see any sane person religious or not questioning it. If you believe in neither creationism nor evolution, do you have an alternative hypothesis?

Yes, I am quite familiar with the scientific process, and much like everyone else on these threads, believe that there is a deeper understanding of scientific theory, and a higher degree of accuracy now than there's ever been before. However, I think there is a necessity for a line to be drawn when it comes to conclusions of the past based on the observations of today. And - also, there as been, and will continue to be a great amount of deception and mis-information diseminated from the world of evolution - as much has there has been in the word of religion. Just as there are hundreds - if not thousands of "false prophets" in religion - using it as a means to their own ends, so too are there hundreds, if not thousands of scientists who's very livelyhood requires that evolution be "accepted" - despite whether it's true or not. This is where the subtlety of "conjecture" turns into "universal truth". Some prime examples of this are Haeckels Law, long proven to be a hoax, yet still included in every science book taught in schools, Lucy and the "imagined" models created from a torso of which only 40 % of it's parts were found, Piltdown man, Nebraska man (in reality, a tooth of a pig) - and the list goes on.

I just don't see any emperical evidence for Evolution, and I don't find the premises for dating an old earth to be acceptable. Too many unanswered questions to believe that dating anything older than 5 or 6 thousand years is even possible. It's just "wishful thinking" that "given the premises to be true" of materials "believed" to be ancient were in fact what they are claimed to be when they were in their "original" (or parent) state, given the observation of the daughter status.

My position on Creationism is from the mere perspective of observation (seeing the world outside my front door) and the complexity of life. Though I have never, and will never claim there is "evidence" for a creation - I see no reason to think it is disprovable. I do, however, think that many claims of evolution are disprovable. Due simply to the fact that the continued experiments to transform one species (or kind if you will) into another has a zero percent success rating. Also - despite the fact that we can observe mutation _within_ a species, it has yet to be shown, under any circumstance, that any DNA information has been ADDED within these mutations. It's only been demonstrated that information is lost.

I don't think that any of the alternative theories (UFO's for example, or alien hosts) are any more plausable than either Evolution or Creationism, and need a great deal more "faith" to believe in them than either of the main two that are discussed. I think the option lies with Abiogenisis or Creationism, and either one is only true on a faith based level. Three's just no means to take it beyond that using either science - or empirical evidence.
It centers largely on one's world view, and how they determine to interpret the facts. some see fossils and precieve them to be within the tree of evolution, and millions of years old, others see a fossil and believe it was created, and no more than 6,000 years old. Science can do nothing to prove either of them correct, as too much information is missing which can never be recreated, or accumulated to insure the accuracy of interpretation.

And I don't think that belief in one - negates the other. Just because one erson has belief in one world view does nothing to discredit belief in the other.

As I always point out you would have to ignore ancient China in order to believe in a young earth because their culture and writing goes back to about 6000 BC which is too old for a young earth. Also there is NO mention of a flood in ancient china so you would also have to throw that theory out.

And the evidence for ancient China writing being from 6000 BC comes from what? What is the origin of this date as factual? Now since thee are over 200 accounts of a flood in ancient writings and fables... because it is assumed one group didn't have one (impossible to prove by the way - it might just not have been discovered yet) that means there was no flood? Isn't that like saying there are no accounts of Kangaroo's in the legends of the American Indian - therefore they don't exist, and never have?

Eljay's photo
Mon 04/06/09 09:44 PM

6 or 7 thousands years falls within the ancient Egyptians and definitely within the existence of mankind, but I've never seen a hieroglyph or cave painting of a dinosaur. Now I don't really believe in aliens, mostly because I have never seen one, but there are drawings and hieroglyphs that could be interpreted as something extra terrestrial. As far as I know there has never been any evidence at all of any kind of an early human reference to anything that could be interpreted as dinosaurs.

There are numerous examples of hieroglyphics and cave paintings of dinausaurs from all over the world. These are documented in secular writings and in magazines from the New York Times to Scientific America. However - that isn't really a proof of anything, for we've only but a few Rosetta stones to glean any type of interpretation from, and no means of corroborating the interpretation of the Rosetta stones in the first place - let alone the key to the Hiero's they supposedly give meaning to. Nothing definitive any way.

"Dinosaurs" are referenced in the bible, and other ancient writings.
Naturally - since the word dinausaur did not come about since the mid 1800's, you won't find the specific word "Dinausaur" in any of these writings. Dragon, Behomouth, and Leviathon are the terms used in ancient writings. Non-the-less, they're dinosaurs according to our understanding of the term.

Eljay's photo
Mon 04/06/09 09:33 PM

I started reading all the responses to this great question before I gave up. These Christians avoided the question at all cost, until a few non-believers started voiceing their opinions. Then, quickly, the Christians ran to the defense of Christianity by saying it's not torture, with very little explanation. As an atheist, I would like to point out that Bible calls for a town to stone a child to death if s/he is disobediant. I consider stoning a form of torture, because you die slowly and it hurts. So do take this wonderful question a step further, how do Christians deal with verses that deal with stoning children to death if Christianity doesn't permit torture?

Christianity says nothing about stoning anyone. In 3,000 BC Judism this might have been the case - but you won't find it anywhere in Christianity. So, as I Christain - I might suggest to you that you learn about that in which you don't believe if you are going to commet on it, and at least get it right.

Eljay's photo
Sun 04/05/09 10:53 PM

Eljay's photo
Sat 04/04/09 08:51 PM

He was one of several Deists who were responsible for establishing this nation.

Actually the first three Presidents where Deists. You are correct.drinker

Neither Washington or Adams were Deists.

Eljay's photo
Sat 04/04/09 08:45 PM

It is interesting to note that in most of the rest of the world, namely in Europe, India, and China, evolution is taught and discussed as it ought to be - a scientific theory not disprovable by a Bronze-age fairy tale.

Catch up, America.

Oddly enough - though not disprovable by any theory - it is not provable as a scientific teory itself. There's no empirical evidence for it. It is just another world religion.

Eljay's photo
Sat 04/04/09 08:43 PM

Eljay's photo
Fri 04/03/09 08:51 PM

flowerforyou I have a question for anyone that wants to answer it.flowerforyou

:smile: How can you believe in science without believing in evolution? :smile: I have Charles Darwins book and I have read it with my own eyes.:smile: He used the scientific method.:smile: And I will say it again.:smile: He used the scientific method.:smile: How can a person dispute that?:smile:

he used the scientific method to what?

How can you believe science and insist that Evolution is science?

What is "scientific" about evolution?
:smile: You dont know what the scientific method is?huh Darwin used the scientific method of gathering and analyzing information.:smile: The theory is based upon information gathered and analyzed in an organized fashion. :smile: Creationism is not.:smile: How can you compete with that?huh Creationism is based on faith alone.:smile: Evolution is based on evidence that was collected and analyzed in an organized and orderly fashion.:smile: Darwin was not making a political statement, merely a scientific observation.:smile: Creationism is a political statement and not based on information gathered and analyzed according to the scientific method.:smile: Darwins conclusions can be independently reproduced as is according to the scientific method, while there are many versions of creationism.:smile: I just dont see how creationism can compete with that.:smile:

Of course I know what the scientific method is.

Now - answer the question.

What is scientific about evoluiton?

The discussion is not about Creationism being scientific - why bring it up?

The fossil record of the past that, when assembled, illustrate a panorama of evolutionary change over the past four billion years. The picture may be smudged in places and may have bits missing, but fossil evidence clearly shows that life is old and has changed over time.

Unverifyable - conjecture at best. Faith based to accept this as "fact".

Evolutionary theory predicts that related organisms will share similarities that are derived from common ancestors. Similar characteristics due to relatedness are known as homologies. Homologies can be revealed by comparing the anatomies of different living things, looking at cellular similarities and differences, studying embryological development, and studying vestigial structures within individual organisms.

Though it might be "predicted" as such - that is not "evidence" of fact, as the premise is constructed to support the conclusion. There is no means of verifying this through empirical science. It is a faith based hypothesis.

Understanding the history of life on Earth requires a grasp of the depth of time and breadth of space. We must keep in mind that the time involved is vast compared to a human lifetime and the space necessary for this to occur includes all the water and land surfaces of the world. Establishing chronologies, both relative and absolute, and geographic change over time are essential for viewing the motion picture that is the history of life on Earth.

The age of the Earth and its inhabitants has been determined through two complementary lines of evidence: relative dating and numerical (or radiometric) dating.

Relative vs. absolute dating

* Relative dating places fossils in a temporal sequence by noting their positions in layers of rocks, known as strata. As shown in the diagram, fossils found in lower strata were typically deposited first and are deemed to be older (this principle is known as superposition). Sometimes this method doesn't work, either because the layers weren't deposited horizontally to begin with, or because they have been overturned.
If that's the case, we can use one of three other methods to date fossil-bearing layers relative to one another: faunal succession, crosscutting relationships, and inclusions.
By studying and comparing strata from all over the world we can learn which came first and which came next, but we need further evidence to ascertain the specific, or numerical, ages of fossils.

* Numerical dating relies on the decay of radioactive elements, such as uranium, potassium, rubidium and carbon. Very old rocks must be dated using volcanic material. By dating volcanic ash layers both above and below a fossil-bearing layer, as shown in the diagram, you can determine "older than X, but younger than Y" dates for the fossils. Sedimentary rocks less than 50,000 years old can be dated as well, using their radioactive carbon content. Geologists have assembled a geological time scale on the basis of numerical dating of rocks from around the world.

Since it is impossible to determine the amount of daughter material inclusive in the parent material at the tme of the presumed formation of the test subject - any date derived from radiometric dating is as accurate as a phychic's prediction. Totally and absolutely faithed based, and absurd at best due to the requirement of universality of the earth's atmosphere throughout the life o the test object. Something which can easily be determined to be impossible through the scientific method of random expermentation within our lifetime. Impossible to presume for the planet 400 years ago, let alone 4 billion years ago.

The distribution of living things on the globe provides information about the past histories of both living things and the surface of the Earth. This evidence is consistent not just with the evolution of life, but also with the movement of continental plates around the world-otherwise known as plate tectonics.

Marsupial mammals are found in the Americas as well as Australia and New Guinea. They are not found swimming across the Pacific Ocean, nor have they been discovered wandering the Asian mainland. There appear to be no routes of migration between the two populations. How could marsupials have gotten from their place of origin to locations half a world away?

Fossils of marsupials have been found in the Antarctic as well as in South America and Australia. During the past few decades scientists have demonstrated that what is now called South America was part of a large land mass called Gondwana, which included Australia and Antarctica. Marsupials didn't need a migration route from one part of the world to another; they rode the continents to their present positions.

Plate tectronics - another undemonstratable premise, while even possible - do nothing to support the idea of evolution. a world wide flood is just as plausable an explination, and no less rovable than plate tectronics. Faith based concluisons.

Although the history of life is always in the past, there are many ways we can look at present-day organisms, as well as recent history, to better understand what has occurred through deep time. Artificial selection in agriculture or laboratories provides a model for natural selection. Looking at interactions of organisms in ecosystems helps us to understand how populations adapt over time. Experiments demonstrate selection and adaptive advantage. And we can see nested hierarchies in taxonomies based on common descent.

People have been artificially selecting domesticated plants and animals for thousands of years. These activities have amounted to large, long-term, practical experiments that clearly demonstrate that species can change dramatically through selective breeding.

Broccoli and brussels sprouts bear little superficial resemblance to their wild mustard relatives (right).

If domesticated dogs were discovered today they would be classified as hundreds of different species and considered quite distinct from wolves. Although it is probable that various breeds of dogs were independently domesticated from distinct wild dog lineages, there are no wolf relatives anywhere in the world that look much like dachshunds or collies.

These observations demonstrate that selection has profound effects on populations and has the ability to modify forms and behaviors of living things to the point that they look and act very unlike their ancestors. Artificial selection provides a model that helps us understand natural selection. It is a small step to envision natural conditions acting selectively on populations and causing natural changes.

While natural selection is demonstratable, and even observable - this is not an idea originated from evolution. This is clearly seen in the biblical account as well as the Darwinian account. The difference being that Evolution creates the false presumption that imformation has been aded to DNA to account for the "tree of species" rather than the "forest of species" imlied by Creationism. It has never been demonstrated that any mutation has involved an addition of information - but rather a loss of information. It would be more appropriate to call it De-evolution, rather than "evolution", as what is occuring through mutation is a loss of information - not an adding of information. Something quite mysteriously left out of all text books and scientific accounts of evolution. Ever wonder why that is?

As predicted by evolutionary theory, populations evolve in response to their surroundings. In any ecosystem there are finite opportunities to make a living. Organisms either have the genetic tools to take advantage of those opportunities or they do not.

Amaizing. The same holds true of Creationism.

House sparrows arrived in North America from Europe in the nineteenth century. Since then, genetic variation within the population, and selection in various habitats, have allowed them to inhabit most of the continent. House sparrows in the north are larger and darker colored than those in the south. Darker colors absorb sunlight better than light colors and larger size allows less surface area per unit volume, thus reducing heat loss — both advantages in a cold climate. This is an example of natural selection acting upon a population, producing micro-evolution on a continental scale.

This is indeed an observable fact - however this does nothing to demonstrate that man evolved from a fish. It demonstrates that there is change within the sparrow population to adapt to the ever changing evironmental influences. (As opposed to Universalism, a necessary for evolutionary theory)

John Endler of the University of California has conducted experiments with the guppies of Trinidad that clearly show selection at work. The scenario: Female guppies prefer colorful males for mating purposes. Predatory fish also "prefer" colorful males, but for a less complimentary purpose — a source of food that is easy to spot. Some portions of the streams where guppies live have fewer predators than others and in these locations the males are more colorful (top frame). Not surprisingly, males in locations where there are more predators tend to be less colorful (bottom frame).

When Dr. Endler transferred predatory fish to the regions with brightly colored male guppies, selection acted rapidly to produce a population of duller males. This demonstrates that persistent variation within a population provides the raw material for rapid evolution when environmental conditions change.

Here again - all Dr. Endler has done is demonstrate that there is change amoungst guppies. Period. To assume anything further from this, or to extrapolate it to the far distant past, is conjectre, and faith based.

Evolution predicts that living things will be related to one another in what scientists refer to as nested hierarchies — rather like nested boxes. Groups of related organisms share suites of similar characteristics and the number of shared traits increases with relatedness. This is indeed what we observe in the living world and in the fossil record. For example snakes and lizards share a large number of traits as they are more closely related to one another than to the other animals represented. The same can be said of crocodiles and birds, whales and camels, and humans and chimpanzees. However, at a more inclusive level, snakes, lizards, birds, crocodiles, whales, camels, chimpanzees and humans all share some common traits.

This is also true of Creationism. Is there a point here?

Humans and chimpanzees are united by many shared inherited traits (such as 98.7% of their DNA). But at a more inclusive level of life's hierarchy, we share a smaller set of inherited traits in common with all primates. More inclusive still, we share traits in common with other mammals, other vertebrates, other animals. At the most inclusive level, we sit alongside sponges, petunias, diatoms and bacteria in a very large "box" entitled: living organisms.

From http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/home.php

The mere fact that there is a similarity between Human and Chimp DNA is not "evidence" of evolution - unless it can be demonstrated that even one chimp shows evidence of a chromisome fusing. What do you think the chances are that there going to prove through the "scientific method" of observation that this is verifyasble fact!!! Oh sure.. one day they will. Until then, we'll take their word for it that "this is what happened".

Bottom line. Unverifyable. Conjecture. Presumption. Faith based.

Now. Would you like to attempt to simply use your own idea of what it is exactly that is "scientific" about evolution?

Explain to me what is "scientific" about man and the chimp sharing a common ancestor? How it is possible through emperical evidence to demonstrate the world is 4.5 billion years old. Which, by the way, you would have to demonstrate how a world flood did NOT occur. Another unverifyalbe concluison which MUST be accepted on faith in order to beliueve evolution.

Eljay's photo
Thu 04/02/09 09:41 PM

flowerforyou I have a question for anyone that wants to answer it.flowerforyou

:smile: How can you believe in science without believing in evolution? :smile: I have Charles Darwins book and I have read it with my own eyes.:smile: He used the scientific method.:smile: And I will say it again.:smile: He used the scientific method.:smile: How can a person dispute that?:smile:

:smile: You dont know what the scientific method is?huh Darwin used the scientific method of gathering and analyzing information.:smile: The theory is based upon information gathered and analyzed in an organized fashion. :smile: Creationism is not.:smile: How can you compete with that?huh Creationism is based on faith alone.:smile: Evolution is based on evidence that was collected and analyzed in an organized and orderly fashion.:smile: Darwin was not making a political statement, merely a scientific observation.:smile: Creationism is a political statement and not based on information gathered and analyzed according to the scientific method.:smile: Darwins conclusions can be independently reproduced as is according to the scientific method, while there are many versions of creationism.:smile: I just dont see how creationism can compete with that.:smile:

Of course I know what the scientific method is.

Now - answer the question.

What is scientific about evoluiton?

The discussion is not about Creationism being scientific - why bring it up?

Eljay's photo
Thu 04/02/09 09:39 PM

You cant deny that evolution is scientific.

Well you can, but then that would make you a joke.

I cant believe how many weak arguments are used by Creationsist on this subject, and how many strong arguments they deny.

So answer the question.

Eljay's photo
Tue 03/31/09 09:29 PM

God is omnicient, omnipitent and omnipresent. if you do not believe this this i shall ask you not to reply.

If you aren't willing to accept opposing views, you should not have posted in the General Religion forum.

That being said, Epicurus sums it up pretty well:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus

However - Epicurus makes the fundamental mistake of attempting to quantify Evil. What is evil but falling short of Good? That is like quantifying darkness whch is defined as an absence of light - or cold - which is a varying degree of heat, but not definable without it. Therefore - Epicurus' premise that evil is a quantity is in doubt - and therefore his conclusion dubious at best. While it may be true to reach a true conclusion through a false premise - if the logic flows from an unacceptable premise, and is not flawed - the conclusion is unacceptable.

That's why he's called God.

I don't see where he is quantifying evil, perhaps your terminology is flawed. If he were to quantify evil he might say something like murder is worse than rape or blasphemy is better than genocide. I think the point he is hinting at is that if god is the creator of everything, then he also created evil. Why would he create evil at all? Are you suggesting that the concepts of goodness and evil are symbiotic? That there can be no goodness without evil? Then can god exist without satan?

Evil is the absence of Good. Just like cold is the absence of heat.
If god created something "evil" - where and what is it?

Eljay's photo
Tue 03/31/09 09:15 PM

If you are equating dark with black...

think again as black is the presense of all colors.

White is the presence of all colors. Black is the absence of color.
It actually is not a color by definition.

Eljay's photo
Tue 03/31/09 09:13 PM

If you believe they do battle…
What do you think comprises the Light?

What comprises the Dark?
Have they battled in the past?
When?

WHO CONTROLS THEM?
Why would IT want them to battle? (do they battle by their own choosing perhaps?)

I think that the idea of "Light" and "Dark" battling is metaphoric at best - since they cannot exist concurrantly by definition.

Beg to differ...

If there is no light there will be no darkness.

If there is no darkness light can not be seen.

They exist concurrently by definition as each needs the other to exist.

Beg to differ with what?

Darkness is the absence of light. With any amount of light - darkness disappears. They are mutually exclusive events. Like the sides of a coin. If you flip a coin - you will either get a heads - or a tails, never both. If the coin stands on edge - you get neither.

Give example of a place without light where darkness can occure.

Just because YOU can not see in a place does not mean an absence of light in that place. It mearly indicates an absence of the wavelengths you see.

One does not have to give an example of a place with darkness - it has a definition. It's an absolute. Doesn't matter if we can name where it occurs - we understand what is meant by the term through it's definition.

Eljay's photo
Mon 03/30/09 01:27 PM

So what you are saying i that your expectations of God is to be a loving God - jet not a just one, and on top of that, that he fullfill your requirements of what "love" is. Next - you expect god to take responsibilitiy for the actions of men, and allow some behaviors, but not others. So what you are saying - is that you are God's judge. How did that come to be? How is it that God is not allowed to judge man for his actions - but is held responsibile for allowing them? Perhaps the idea of this "loving God" that you are presuming is but a mere figment of your imagination. Since you are not God - you cannot presume to assume that you know how God has influenced anyone who participates in genocides - or abates in the starvation of those in countries where the military and dictators control all of the weath and power despite the wealfare of their "subjects". A closer examination reveals the selfishness of man - not the lack of compassion of God. Do you not think that there is enough food thrown away in this country alone on a daily basis to feed all of the starving people in Africa? So where does the blame belong? Man is rebellios - and they will do what they want - despite the consequences to themselves, or how it makes others feel.

I am not the one saying that god is loving. You hear it every Sunday in church, and by a number of posters on this board. It's not blaming god for man's actions, I find it very hard to believe something that supposedly loves us would just sit idly by while these events are occurring. Simple research shows that a number of the genocides committed throughout history have had religion as a major influence into it's cause. I also find it hard to belief in something like a god, that would give man a choice, and then punish us if it feels we made the wrong choice. Basically, god is punishing us, because of his own decision about us. As I stated last time, I refuse to belief in, and worship something that I am so obviously morally superior to.

You yourself are a prime example. Obviously you could care less about your parents - you're going to satisfy your own desires despite what it might do to others. If you developed blood poisoning on your next tatoo, are you going to blame your parents for it? Are you going to care one iota about their having to watch helplessly as you play russian roulette with a loaded gun?

Those are pretty big assumptions on your part. Where did I ever say I don't care about my parents? Where did I say my parents are the "ones to blame" for me getting a tattoo? Why would I blame them, for my own choices and actions?
huh

That's exactly what my point is. Why are you blsaming God for the choices of man? You claim moral superiority to God because you feel he should be intervening - when you aren't even sure what God's participation even is. What are you basing your moral superiority on? You've created this idea of a God who is not even up to your moral standards. Are you sure this is God? Or have you just created a God in your mind that doean't exist? Because I don't see your idea of God as representative of the one from scripture. It is no wonder you don't believe in God - if you haven't got the right idea about who and what God is - what is there to believe in. That God only exists for you.

You're a walking contradiction Inkracer, and I can't follow your logic on the conclusions you've come to about the nature of God.

This line is really quite hilarious. You make that claim, yet I have not changed in anything I have said. YOU on the other hand, have constantly changed your arguments, trying to give yourself a false sense of superiority.

I'm not changing any of my arguments - I'm trying to make sense out of yours. I've not represented any arguments on my understanding of God - I'm using yours.

Eljay's photo
Mon 03/30/09 12:00 PM

God is omnicient, omnipitent and omnipresent. if you do not believe this this i shall ask you not to reply.

If you aren't willing to accept opposing views, you should not have posted in the General Religion forum.

That being said, Epicurus sums it up pretty well:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
-Epicurus

However - Epicurus makes the fundamental mistake of attempting to quantify Evil. What is evil but falling short of Good? That is like quantifying darkness whch is defined as an absence of light - or cold - which is a varying degree of heat, but not definable without it. Therefore - Epicurus' premise that evil is a quantity is in doubt - and therefore his conclusion dubious at best. While it may be true to reach a true conclusion through a false premise - if the logic flows from an unacceptable premise, and is not flawed - the conclusion is unacceptable.

That's why he's called God.

You really haven't explained anything. If he is the loving god that we are lead to believe he is, why allow war to continue, why allow the genocides throughout history, why allow people to starve to death? Either he can stop all of this, or he can't. If he can, why doesn't he? If he can't he isn't all powerful, if he isn't all powerful, why call him god?
More importantly, if he is the loving god that we are lead to believe, why should it matter how we belief? I can remember the talks my parents gave me about not being allowed in the house again, if I ever got a tattoo. I now have 10, and more in the works, my parents still love me, just as much as before my tattoos, and I am still allowed in their house. So, all I really see here, is if we need to belief like "person X" to be "saved", then it's just another shining example of how we are better than god. And I see no reason to worship something that I'm better than.

So what you are saying i that your expectations of God is to be a loving God - jet not a just one, and on top of that, that he fullfill your requirements of what "love" is. Next - you expect god to take responsibilitiy for the actions of men, and allow some behaviors, but not others. So what you are saying - is that you are God's judge. How did that come to be? How is it that God is not allowed to judge man for his actions - but is held responsibile for allowing them? Perhaps the idea of this "loving God" that you are presuming is but a mere figment of your imagination. Since you are not God - you cannot presume to assume that you know how God has influenced anyone who participates in genocides - or abates in the starvation of those in countries where the military and dictators control all of the weath and power despite the wealfare of their "subjects". A closer examination reveals the selfishness of man - not the lack of compassion of God. Do you not think that there is enough food thrown away in this country alone on a daily basis to feed all of the starving people in Africa? So where does the blame belong? Man is rebellios - and they will do what they want - despite the consequences to themselves, or how it makes others feel. You yourself are a prime example. Obviously you could care less about your parents - you're going to satisfy your own desires despite what it might do to others. If you developed blood poisoning on your next tatoo, are you going to blame your parents for it? Are you going to care one iota about their having to watch helplessly as you play russian roulette with a loaded gun?

You're a walking contradiction Inkracer, and I can't follow your logic on the conclusions you've come to about the nature of God.

Eljay's photo
Mon 03/30/09 11:43 AM

What comprises the Dark?
When?

WHO CONTROLS THEM?
Why would IT want them to battle? (do they battle by their own choosing perhaps?)

I think that the idea of "Light" and "Dark" battling is metaphoric at best - since they cannot exist concurrantly by definition.

Beg to differ...

If there is no light there will be no darkness.

If there is no darkness light can not be seen.

They exist concurrently by definition as each needs the other to exist.

Beg to differ with what?

Darkness is the absence of light. With any amount of light - darkness disappears. They are mutually exclusive events. Like the sides of a coin. If you flip a coin - you will either get a heads - or a tails, never both. If the coin stands on edge - you get neither.

Eljay's photo
Sun 03/29/09 07:48 PM

What comprises the Dark?
When?

WHO CONTROLS THEM?

Eljay's photo
Sun 03/29/09 07:45 PM

The question is; if god is all of these things could he create a rock so big that He Himself could not lift it?

Omnicient= all powerful
Omnipitent= all knowing
Omnipresent= all places, he exists in all places similtaniously

got a good answer/theory, post it. not in a dorogotory way though simply state you thoughts.

The question does not make sense. God is not a material being - so wondering if He is incapable of doing a material task is illogical.

1 2 8 9 10 12 14 15 16 24 25