Wed 05/11/22 09:12 AM
Y'all ain't jus Ho's and Tricks.

Biaaches got shiznit ta SAY!

glasses When I say Shake that Thang
Shout "I use my BRAIN!"

Beachfarmer's photo
Wed 05/11/22 08:19 AM
Edited by Beachfarmer on Wed 05/11/22 08:33 AM
Tom - insightful as always and so true about the overlapping, When I read I thought, "Darn! I could have just asked how they have reshaped for economy of words and time. I did want to try to narrow the subject past general manners and kindness. I know there is a consensus that the supply chain is in trouble there as well. Until age 10 I was allowed 1 TV program aside from family night (Disney, Wild Kingdom). Somehow it seeps in (How in the world do some of us even know the name Kardashian lol). Before 10 I saw in the comics the moustache twisting villan doing bad deeds and the Mounty coming to the rescue of "The Damsel in Distress". I admit even my short haired examples were straight from music, sport, and indeed directly from The Glass Teat. The double entendre of "Boob Tube" clearer still. Not much on absolutes and should preface with a "striving for..aiming for...whatever" before ever approaching the concept of altruism. Utopia, it is something to shoot for......like a target on the moon, with a pea and a drinking straw.

We love our firefighters here!! Such hard working HEROES displaying stellar behavior even after 16 hrs of sweat, soot, heat, and 100s of pounds of equipment. Shame on me for forgetting my young friend for passing all the rigorous training, classroom and physical tests to become a full fledged member of the squad. "SHE" RADIATES Chivalry!!!

cleve - Yes too bad listening has become almost elevated to heroism. I get missund...make that not understood all of the time so I apologize. I see a cyber orgy where everyone is trying to mind fornicate each other

Don - I know, right?

Crystal - I'll be researching where an when the term was coined now but yes, I associate it most with the knights. Your ex's actions were the antithesis of chivalrous and personified what a male chauvinist pig is. Thanks for allowing the nature and the nurture...there are "some" things that could use some rewiring and some that turn the light on just fine I guess.

Nicole - What a beautiful sentence and concise, eloquent definition!!:heart:

Cj - Yes I think anyone and everyone should seek out higher moral lessons from the Bible, Quran, Tanakh, Tao Te Cing, Aesops Fables, The Poems of the Ancient Persians, etc. and whatever "Good Book" they can get their hands on.

Beachfarmer's photo
Tue 05/10/22 09:48 AM

Some times it takes a while to see whats underneath the surface.

Floorboards and frozen ponds are a Beeeeeyach!waving

Sinkholes! Dont forget sinkholes! waving

Sinkholes, well holes, golf holes, worm holes

For better or worse I just don't forget holeshappy

Beachfarmer's photo
Tue 05/10/22 09:48 AM

Sinkholes! Dont forget sinkholes! waving

Sinkholes, well holes, golf holes, worm holes

For better or worse I just don't forget holeshappy

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 11:09 PM
Edited by Beachfarmer on Mon 05/09/22 11:15 PM

"Defending the honor of your lady" is an archaic concept of a bygone era and in some sidways modern manner, chauvinist in and of itself. Or is it? This sub-issue has had a light shined on it during recent events. I think I saw a thread about it in the "Movies" category.

To digress (a little because it applies) to the sub-issue, the "Ike and Tina Scenario" is a NEVER and violence for any reason from any gender is WRONG! Two things to clarify for the young and others perhaps unfamiliar; "Ike and Tina Scenario" refers to male on female domestic violence, a byproduct of chauvinism. "Violence for any reason" circles back to civility, recent events, and potential chauvinism (?) in the idea of defending your lady's honor. I am all too aware she can think, speak, and defend herself probably better and clearer than I..most likely with more than that modicum of decorum, civility, and eloquence than I could ever hope for. I am sorry, call it and me what you will. If someone insults the woman I love (sounds a bit like both of the "ch" words), female family member or friend..I am going to say something as well. Hopefully not but if it were to escalate to something I am uncomfortable with, I WILL be standing in front. I also have been guilty of joking with the guys about how emotional women get when perhaps making decisions or how unreasonable and unfair it is to bring up a word said 10000 years ago with that female savant memory. I suspicion the dumb insensitve narrow-minded short-sighted stinky caveman has been brought up during girls night out as well. Can we call it a wash?

The impetus for this actually came from a "women with short hair" thread in Dating and Relationships. From my age and perspective I recalled the Dorthy Hamill signature cut when I was very young. Later in Middle and High School there was Pat Benatar and more so Joan Jett tough girl cut. There was also a high tight haircut for some reason I associate with being mean. Perhaps it was the night time soap drama Joan Collins effect. (Youngins, If you don't know'em Google'm)

It occured to me that my associations were with the: cute and unthreatening, barely post pubesent erotic fantasy of the worldly girl, and the witch. As progressive as I would like to think I am, WTF!!! WHERE in THE FRIGGIN Misogynist (something you do to your finger with a pin) Handbook did THAT come from?

I am very cognizant of how early in the still ongoing game the 80s were for breaking in to the Boardroom(s). I am aware of the double standards, the double work for fractional compensation, and the attitudes. For the same assertiveness a man was a Go to the Getter and a woman a Bee to the itch. I know all of this. Aside from that I wasn't in any Boardroom. I was just a kid or at best a not quite college grad.

In the late 90s I was making my way in to a few Boardrooms a few times. I thought women were so smart, tough, and terrific. They would look directly into the eyes of their male exec coutparts with equal footing and say things like, "Well whose Little Richard are you going to suck to get THAT done KARL?" LMAO, precious moments. My favorite bosses were female, balancing that toughness with a sensitivity that was good for business as well as morale. Though I believe it all to be authentic, in my 20s and in that era I didn't realize the unique nature and luck to work where I did. A real exceptional exception to the rule. I was not thinking about perhaps not wanting to be tough when inherently strong. How phallic based and crudethe tough talk was. How obvious it is now the disparity one still might feel in being a full member with all the privilages to a club they had no part in building or chartering.

Anyway Blah Blah Blah. Here it is 2022 and I am awakening to the fact of being 1 generation removed from the days of the often harassed "Little Lady Secretary Pool". I know I am not consciously sexist but the traditional definitions of chivalry might be. Modern women don't need rescuing but at least in some figurative way maybe on occasion would like to be. Everyone has the ability to ride the big white horse and save the day but perhaps should wear less armour.I will open a building's door for anyone if given the chance. My old fashioned hang ups are at least occasionally walking around a car to open the door for a lady and being waited for to do so despite obvious ability to open a door, and flowers. Most surprising non-traditional experience: receiving flowers from a lady...incredibly touching! Tear worthy, Smile gluing, Cool Factor simultaneously! Most homophobic thought: it would be just too weird to walk around a car to open a door for a Dude. Not sure I could do it even for a joke. We are walking contradictions. Everyone looks back on their own "olden days" missing the manners, traditions, class, and eloquent gestures of the time. They are both correct in doing so and have idealistic blinders to the evils that exist in any era.

Lastly, no matter how much of a progressive, altruistic, renaissance person you would like to view yourself to be, there is nothing more manly (or womanly) than peeling back the layers of antiquaited ideas of what being a man, woman, person, hero, good or evil is, to see what predjudices still lay within. Perhaps chivalry is that extra special effort in manners and protection of that extra special someone. Maybe chauvinism is not seeing or admitting when you are the one less capable and more in need

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 11:07 PM
....and civility for that matter.

Was going to apologize for length here but dislike extra long introductions. Screw it. Will just go for broke on the reply.

No real question except for maybe aren't the first 2 in a way synonymous in modern society? Not so much about if chivalry is dead but if it matters. Is it a viable subject in this day and age?

Mostly looking to read other perspectives after long azz drivel in the opening reply. Read if you have the patience, or don't

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 12:37 PM
Edited by Beachfarmer on Mon 05/09/22 12:39 PM
There are plenty of "Peeve Threads". These are things that should NOT bother you.

Like most people I am not a huge fan of lines. In the modern world of Yelp and Trip Advisor, I still many times choose my restaurants the old fashioned way in an unfamiliar place.

I make peace with the 45 - hour wait, take in my surroundings, try to strike up a conversation with a stranger (who knows, might be a local), and wait patiently but with eager anticipation. It was a choice.

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 09:47 AM

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 09:41 AM
I second!!!!, Scooby!!!

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 09:34 AM
Edited by Beachfarmer on Mon 05/09/22 09:37 AM
In the physical world for those seeking something less superficial (in general, not even necessarily anything romantic) there must be something sparked in "conversation". No epiphany there, right?

I have witnessed time and again, connections of people (including platonic now lifetime friends) all from the forums. Most of the successes seem to be from and with those who wanted to join the conversation seemingly without intention.

The "just sentences" are laughable. Not about to say "Just approach without intention." Will say however, to join the conversation and try to avoid starting sentences with "I want" unless appropriate to the subject at hand. You might just get what you want. Perhaps something you didn't even know you wanted.

Beachfarmer's photo
Mon 05/09/22 08:21 AM
That "ding ding ding" noise while you are saying "Shut up! I know! I know!" is actually a pretty good reminder to buckle up.

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 09:41 AM
A child having a meltdown in public..been there.

More empathy than anything. Good kids get over-tired and don't yet have the emotional tools to deal.

Ae times the volume can get to me but it's different from bad or intentional behaviour.

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 09:14 AM
Edited by Beachfarmer on Sat 05/07/22 09:17 AM
Double Posting SFF1 EV0

mildly gnat like annoying

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 09:13 AM
Cantaloupe (c- Eeeeew SFF8)
I try it every 5 years or so for nutrition reasons but it tastes and smells half putrid to me when fresh

I call BS (c -Pffft SFF2, EV9)
That totally transparent posture of "I have no filter. I tell it like it is. I say what everyone WANTS to say but is afraid to say it." This is when feeble minded cowards claim to be brave and wise whjle pre-excusing themselves for bad manners.

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 09:13 AM
You know - pressed or puckered lips, squinting or closed eyes, curled nose, tightening of neck muscles

There are various degrees "Scrunch Face Factors" depending on intensity of press, pucker, squint, curl, etc.. There are various versions but most would be a sub-categories of:

Eeeeeeew - High Scrunch Value (SFF6 - SFF11) Usually olfactory or taste, but can be visual or in the story telling tradition (aka WFF - Who Farted Face)...........or...........

Pffft - Lower Scrunch Value (SFF0 - SFF5) Usually Auditory or visual only figuratively smelly most often completely lacking in taste. (Can be accompanied by "Emotional Value, EV0 - EV11)

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 05:40 AM
Break or redefine the cycle. Misery doesn't know how much it would love positive company.

Try one positive thing. Try to help in some small way. If you need help ask for it. In doing that you have given someone a gift of being the giver.

Everyone's worries are valid in their own realm. However, if I start to have a self-pity party within 4 walls and a ceiling containing H & C running water while I type on a computer or phone......

Someone needs a "How bad is it really?" moment.

Beachfarmer's photo
Sat 05/07/22 04:39 AM

Hippies? In Texas? shocked

OMG! Say it isn't so.

No worries. They're trying to keep up (smokin with Willie). They won't bother anyone.

Beachfarmer's photo
Fri 05/06/22 05:24 AM
The Adam n Eve thing?

Beachfarmer's photo
Fri 05/06/22 05:24 AM
The Adam n Eve thing?

Beachfarmer's photo
Thu 05/05/22 09:18 AM

hmmm.this piqued my Apple wee brain:thinking:...btw enjoy the beach,the farm and mingle2 forums:blush:

OMG!!! I attempt to say with my figurative foot in my mouth.
I apologize for my choice in finding an alternative way to curse AppleLove.

Thanks for being a good sport. You're a Peach!

1 2 3 5 7 8 9 24 25