Community > Posts By > daniel48706

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:27 AM
put that way, yes I had many errors. But the word many suggests a lot more than four flowerforyou

If you are referring to mine, I apologize, but I was half asleep and my keyboard needs to be replaced as half the letters on it stick unmercifully. An I counted four typos, when I went back and reread your quote.

Are you saying my definition of many is wrong? off? laugh

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:23 AM
Thus you prove you are unwilling to be shown that you are wrong in your prior statements and beliefs, because you refuse to go back and verify what I told you existed.

Maybe you didn't see some of my later responses? please go back through the last couple hours of responses and I think you wills ee some clarification.

Easy question, who chooses to be unemployed? who chooses to be homeless? for most people who today are unemployed or homeless it was not their choice.

As to the educational aspect - an education never hurt anyone, but for you or anyone to say that they must continue onto a certain degree is attained, is quite silly.

I know many people who have PHD's and work for others, and know many people who dropped out of high school and are self employed and/or owners of their own companies.

People have the right to chose what path they follow.

Had these changes been implemented for you, what changes would be apparent in your life? Where would you be vs where you are now?

flowerforyou

sorry I'll pass - read what I found pertinent not going back hrs into this. flowerforyou

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:22 AM
asking questions is not rude. Changing words around, intentionally leaving out entire sections that already go against what you are trying to suggest, IS rude.

I am sorry to disagree with you winx, but rude is rude no matter if you get personal about it or not. And imo, she was very rude by trying to rearrange what I said to mean something else.
And I at least will admit to being rude, when I get rude, and most times I will apologize too, as I don't usually intend to get rude. However, when responding in written format, you have the time to go over what you read and write, make sure it is exactly what you meant it to be, or understood it to be and respond appropriately. So if you are willing to be rude by changing someones written words to make them sound different, then you can expect me to chastise you for it if it's my words your changing around.

It's no more rude than picking someones words apart, and rearranging them to mean something that they did not say.

First off, you yourself said you finished three years of colleger befor droppiing out. when you graduate high school, you should have to make the very simple choice of continuing on with school through at least your associates degree.

Nobody is going to rack up 70k in student loans in just two years. I don't are how many hours you are taking, I don't care what school you are going to. Yes school is getting more and more expensive, but to the best of my knowledge, there is not a single associates program in this country that costs 35k per year.

She wasn't going for an associate's degree. She said that she has completed three years towards a bachelor's degree.

You got personal. There's a difference.

All I see here are people disagreeing with you and asking you questions about what you've said. Not being rude.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:20 AM
If you are referring to mine, I apologize, but I was half asleep and my keyboard needs to be replaced as half the letters on it stick unmercifully. An I counted four typos, when I went back and reread your quote.

First off, you yourself said you finished three years of colleger befor droppiing out. when you graduate high school, you should have to make the very simple choice of continuing on with school through at least your associates degree.

Nobody is going to rack up 70k in student loans in just two years. I don't are how many hours you are taking, I don't care what school you are going to. Yes school is getting more and more expensive, but to the best of my knowledge, there is not a single associates program in this country that costs 35k per year.

She wasn't going for an associate's degree. She said that she has completed three years towards a bachelor's degree.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:17 AM
And again, I suggest that maybe one of the courses you did noy take due to choosing to stop schooling was an English class, because it is very obvious and plain that either you are not reading my responses, or you are not understanding them. And I have taken great pains to make my last several responses very simple and concise (to the point), so that they ARE easily understood.

So I ask again, please go back and read EVERYTHING that I have written, not just what you want to try and use to show you are right and I am wrong.

This country is about free will and having the freedom to choose what is best for you. What you say smacks of communism. Communist countries choose for their people what they do for a living, what they study in school, how many children they can have, what they're allowed to think and say etc. Frankly, if I have to live my life (or God forbid, my child has to live his life) by your criteria, I will most happily get the hell out, as would most people.

And who decides the definition of productive, you? By your definition, I am not productive. I never served in the military and neither will my son. I didn't finish my degree. Yet, I've been working and paying taxes since I was 15 (working without paying taxes since I was 11). I pay taxes, I vote, I'm a responsible person and a responsible parent. I've been a foster mom. I'm active socially and politically. Yet, by your standards, I am not productive? Really, just how insulting did you intend to be by this?

Really, Daniel, I expect better of you.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:14 AM
I am sorry to disagree with you winx, but rude is rude no matter if you get personal about it or not. And imo, she was very rude by trying to rearrange what I said to mean something else.
And I at least will admit to being rude, when I get rude, and most times I will apologize too, as I don't usually intend to get rude. However, when responding in written format, you have the time to go over what you read and write, make sure it is exactly what you meant it to be, or understood it to be and respond appropriately. So if you are willing to be rude by changing someones written words to make them sound different, then you can expect me to chastise you for it if it's my words your changing around.

It's no more rude than picking someones words apart, and rearranging them to mean something that they did not say.

You got personal. There's a difference.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:07 AM
Maybe you didn't see some of my later responses? please go back through the last couple hours of responses and I think you wills ee some clarification.

Easy question, who chooses to be unemployed? who chooses to be homeless? for most people who today are unemployed or homeless it was not their choice.

As to the educational aspect - an education never hurt anyone, but for you or anyone to say that they must continue onto a certain degree is attained, is quite silly.

I know many people who have PHD's and work for others, and know many people who dropped out of high school and are self employed and/or owners of their own companies.

People have the right to chose what path they follow.

Had these changes been implemented for you, what changes would be apparent in your life? Where would you be vs where you are now?

flowerforyou

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:05 AM

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 07:01 AM
Edited by daniel48706 on Wed 09/30/09 07:02 AM

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 06:59 AM
And as you said I have repeatedly stated I want people to be PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. If there is another way to be productive, then by all means suggest it, I am all ears. keep in mind however, that I have already rephrased myself a couple responses back, to state that my issue is with the non-productive who don't want to be productive, and yet receive free cash and food etc from the state. Farming is an excellent example of being productive, and as most people know, a farmer tends to grow up as a farmer, not decide that's what they want to do and move out to the country to do it.

I suggest you quit picking bits and pieces, and read everythign I have posted.

Yes I did say if you CHOOSE to refuse to be a productive member of society you need to leave. Our forefathers required everyone to contribute to the society at the time in some productive manner. And if they chose not to do so, they were exhiled from the community. Now I am NOT referring to those who can not make certain decisions due to health or limitations. But imo, the choice should not be available, to be lazy, unproductive, and living off of welfare (in any form)

As far as to who decides that you are unproductive, it is very apparant who contributes to society in some way, and who doesnt. If you do not want to contribute, then you should not be standing in the welfare lines (and I am not naming anyone specifically here), or receiving social security etc. You should not receive housing assistance, or any other kinds of assistance, unless you are willing to benefit society in some manner.

Are you saying that someone is not a productive member of society if they have not joined the military or obtained a college degree? You don't know anyone who has been able to make it in life without a degree? I know several who have been able to get jobs without a college degree and lead a productive life. I don't think you can base it on only getting a degree or going into the military.

You have repeatedly said that you want people to be productive members of society and go to school or go into the military.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 06:54 AM
and people actually wonder why I left the state of Michigan and have no intentions of ever moving back.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 06:41 AM
I suggest you quit picking bits and pieces, and read everythign I have posted.

Yes I did say if you CHOOSE to refuse to be a productive member of society you need to leave. Our forefathers required everyone to contribute to the society at the time in some productive manner. And if they chose not to do so, they were exhiled from the community. Now I am NOT referring to those who can not make certain decisions due to health or limitations. But imo, the choice should not be available, to be lazy, unproductive, and living off of welfare (in any form)

As far as to who decides that you are unproductive, it is very apparant who contributes to society in some way, and who doesnt. If you do not want to contribute, then you should not be standing in the welfare lines (and I am not naming anyone specifically here), or receiving social security etc. You should not receive housing assistance, or any other kinds of assistance, unless you are willing to benefit society in some manner.

Are you saying that someone is not a productive member of society if they have not joined the military or obtained a college degree? You don't know anyone who has been able to make it in life without a degree? I know several who have been able to get jobs without a college degree and lead a productive life. I don't think you can base it on only getting a degree or going into the military.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 06:40 AM
Did I say that? No I did not. Thank you.

how do you figure you would be a slave to the military? You get out of highschool you go to college, get a degree and work as a productive citizen, instead of sitting on the side of the road begging for tax free money, if you do not like the idea of going into the military, or if you feel the military is not the right choice for you. You are not losing your choice to stay out of the military in any way whatsoever.

this is one of my biggest points that I can not emphasize enough. If you do not want one thing to happen, then choose the option that prevents it from happening. How hard is that to understand?

So, unless someone has gone to college or gone into the military, they're going to be sitting on the side of the road begging for tax free money? huh

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 06:39 AM
As I said, or tried to say since you obviously didn't catch it, is yes I agree that if you can provide for society in other ways, for example farming, then you would not have to choose the military. And I apologize for not stating that I consider all forms of training as college, even though yes I know it isn't college if you apprentice under someone.

But my main point of this whole thesis is, if you are an able-bodied adult, capable of providing in some way for your country, then when you are done with high school, you need to do so. Period. Now there are any number of ways to argue that someone is NOT able-bodied; for example, they have muscular-dystrophy to the point that they are very limited in what they can do. Or they are required at home to care for someone else who is incapable of caring for themselves.
My point however is that if you are not willing to do anything else to contribute to your society, in other words, not willing to get training (instead of saying college), not already working productively, then the military should be required. If you do not have the training to get a job where you are at, nobody will hire you where you are at because of your lack of training (or attitude or whatever), you are unwilling to move to locate employment, and you are asking for food stamps, and cash assistance (as an ongoing issue, not as a temporary consideration) then you need to be put into the army and given the training you need.
The type of person I am describing is the one who everyone is already complaining about, who wants everything to be given to them and gives nothing back in return.

"Like it or not people, the military is a neccesary evil in this world. I respect everyones right to believe what they want, and to live their life accordingly. However, to belong as a part of society, you need to help out in some way to society. Are there other options besides just school or service? yes, I for one, just don't happen to agree with those options as much as I do with school or military.

This day in age, if you do not continue on with school, 9 out of 10 chances you are going to be in the poverty level and needing assistance of some sort because there are way too few jobs out there. Also int his day and age, if a country does not have a military, one as big and rich in resources as we are, then you can darn well expect other countries to come in and try to control us. So military is a neccessity as well. "

I will repeat,,the military is more than a job it is accepting the task of sacrificing your life whenever the commander in chief deems necessary. Noone should be FORCED to contribute that way. As to the degree, I believe you are mistaken. There are PLENTY of positions that dont require a degree. They arent the highest paying but most of them allow for promotion within the company as EXPERIENCE is gained. Military is a necessity, but so is a persons right to decide how to make their contribution in a FREE society. My ex made much more than me in his TRADE that he learned through apprenticeship trainig (not college). Many people are inventive enough to create their own businesses. The Internet has opened the door for all types of FREE market for services and products. To limit people to the choice of running up debt or risking their life is just NOT a reasonable solution.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 05:54 AM
in this day and age lulu, all jobs pretty much require an associates degree at the minimum along with so many years experience. Yes there are the oddball few that are still reasonable, but most employers nowadays will nt hire you for ANY job without at least an associates.

And as far as to who would be working those jobs, once the system got fixed, it would be the same people that are going to college now, or farming (as I said in another response, farmers would be one group I would agree already contribute to society). How do you think a person in college is going to survive, if they are not working? And considering they are are still for the most part probably unskilled labor, they are going to be doing the same jobs they do now (or would if employers would hire them)

so, daniel...who is going to pave our roads? serve us our food when we go out to eat...wash our dishes and change the trash? clean the toilets?

who stocks the shelves at the grocery store? makes our clothing? our tools, our automobiles?

who grows our vegetables and harvests them? who transports our goods from one area to another? who takes our money whenever we choose to stay at a hotel and makes certain our bed is turned down?

who milks the cows and shears the sheep? who brings the mail?

none of these jobs require a college education...and many would very well be passed up by those that have a degree. and yet, these people are major contributors to our society.

not everyone is cut out for college. i'm hugely for education, but this goes a bit overboard. it's just not for everyone...and if everyone had a degree, what then?

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 05:49 AM
I agree that would be a possible option as well, sending them to some type of job corps or whatever like you mentioned.

As fara s the military not letting you in without a ged, yes that is correct. For a couple years it was mandatory for you to have your actual diploma and not even a ged, which is one reason adults now have the choice of getting either a ged or an actual diploma. And I may be wrong, but the military may still require the actual diploma.

BUT, as far as the military wanting literate and self-thinking individuals, I couldn't laugh harder. Unless you are an officer, or a HIGH ranking enlisted (staff sergeant and above for the army) you are NOT expected to be literate or self-thinking. You actually get disciplined for it more often than not. The Army, at least, wants individual drones that do what they are told, when they are told, with no questions, and that needs to change, desperatly.

last I heard the military wont accept drop outs. A minimum of a GED is required. They dont want illiterates. thay want people who can make informed reasoned descisions

maybe better would be to send the drop outs to something like the Civilian Conservation Corps and let em build park buildings and trails and stuff

some of the coolest state parks and monuments were built by the CCC

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 05:44 AM

Now, assuming "my system" were in place, would you be required to continue on towards your bachelors degree, or go into the military? Hell no. You chose, plain and simple, to continue on with education, and decided at some point that you could not afford to continue any longer. I am not saying you were wrong in any part of that decision. I would probably have stopped long before the loans reached 70k. My point however, is that you are trying to claim you would not have a choice, when in reality you did choose. And your choice, in "my system" would have kept you from enlisting in the military.

Like it or not people, the military is a neccesary evil in this world. I respect everyones right to believe what they want, and to live their life accordingly. However, to belong as a part of society, you need to help out in some way to society. Are there other options besides just school or service? yes, I for one, just don't happen to agree with those options as much as I do with school or military.

This day in age, if you do not continue on with school, 9 out of 10 chances you are going to be in the poverty level and needing assistance of some sort because there are way too few jobs out there. Also int his day and age, if a country does not have a military, one as big and rich in resources as we are, then you can darn well expect other countries to come in and try to control us. So military is a neccessity as well.

Peple need to quit shirking their responsibilities to the community and step forward as much as they can, whether it is by going to college, joining the service, providing something that society needs, like say a farmer. That is one exception I would immediately grant to going to the military or to college. A farmer provides very basic needs to the community at large, and if I am not wrong here, most farmers grew up as kids on a farm, as did most o their families, thus they do not "need" an associates degree or anything else, because they are already in a position to provide for the community.

Ok so here's a question for you Daniel. Let's say your system was in place and I had decided to go to college (as I stated previously on page 1 of how I racked up $70k in student loans within 3 years) .......would I fall under one of the people that gets kicked out of the country because I quit college due to the price? Would I then be offered a chance to go into the military to only have all my paychecks go straight to my student loans, only to go over seas and die for something I don't believe in and then my son gets to pay the rest MY student loans when he gets out of HS? Oh wait, but he only has the option to get an education through the military or go to college himself only to rack up thousands of dollars he also has to pay along side my debt?

Please answer this for me.

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 05:28 AM
and the homeless and jobless men and teenage boys (considered men in that era) were conscripted AGAINST THEIR WILL into the army of the time. Everyone was expected to do their part (those physically incapable or mentally incapable of course were the sole exception), whatever that part was. And if you did NOT do your part, you were left to your own devices and got no assistance whatsoever.

Yes I did say if you CHOOSE to refuse to be a productive member of society you need to leave. Our forefathers required everyone to contribute to the society at the time in some productive manner. And if they chose not to do so, they were exhiled from the community.

:smile:That isnt historically accurate:smile: There were homeless and jobless people in the Colonies.:smile:

daniel48706's photo
Wed 09/30/09 05:24 AM

That reminds me when my then tiny son tossed a small aluminum pudding can in the toilet and of course it caught in the utrap. After trying everything we could think of finally took the toilet compleately apart figureing we are going to have to buy an new fixture we sorely could not afford at the time. Then he walks out into the back yard slips his small hand deftly in the trap and plucks it out. He could not quite understand why we were not equally thrilled he found his treasure "no bye-bye".

lol, too funny

daniel48706's photo
Tue 09/29/09 10:41 PM

As I have tried to say before and you so passionately refuse to listen, with this suggestion, you are not FORCED TO GO INTO THE MILITARY AGAINST YOUR WILL. You have a choice. The military is just one of those choices, and if you refuse to be a productive member of society then you need to leave the country. I do NOT believe in handouts for nothing, and I do not believe in letting people stand there and say "well its not right that I have to do this just because I didn't do this".
Life is all about choices. Make one.

Who is going to pay for this continued education, the military? So if these loser dropouts go in the military they can get their education, if not they don't. Simple enough..except not everyone wants to be in the military, just a minor detail. Where are you getting these stats that all these dropouts end up on welfare..I don't understand your thinking on this at all.

Are you a recruiter for the Army...??

IF YOU REFUSE TO BE A PRODUCTIVE MEMBER OF SOCIETY YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY..YOU REALLY DID JUST SAY THAT...WTF...who gets to determine "productive." Will we nominate a panel to make such decisions. Daniel, it's not that I refuse to listen..we just don't agree and you keep attempting to change my mind by stressing your point. From my perspective you just have some deep rooted issues with those you feel are the losers of the world... and very concerned you may have to help someone you consider scum. It sounds more like you just want to punish...not improve.

are you a recruiter for the Army...