Community > Posts By > BOSKOINC

no photo
Sat 01/09/10 12:45 AM

i understand disposal of the dead posed a problem.what was the solution?

Good question. I was hoping that more people would offer their knowledge on this religion. I guess not many are interested in the end. I can research it and see what happened. There are no guarantees that I will find the answer.

That is when you wish you had such people like Professor Joseph Campbell who studies mythology and theology and gives fruitful stories of them.

We shall see what we will come up withdrinker
I did research it.The solution was to lay there dead on stone slabs in selected holy sites where they could be devoured by animals.In this way they did not pollute the elements.
Tibet has a similar custom called a "Sky Funeral" in which the body is defleshed and the bones ground into meal all of witch is left for animals to consume.There reason differs how ever.Tibetans believe it is noble to offer your body as food.I've witnessed it.Gruesome does not Begin to describe it.

Certain Native American tribes also have a similar version of this. The body would be placed up on a stand of sorts and left to decomp and go back to nature on its own.

I've only just gotten into Zoroastrianism a bit, the past 3 weeks or so. I was doing some research on the Mithraic Aeon, of which seems a conglomeration of Greek, Zoroastrianism, and Mithraism.
facinating.please elaborate.

no photo
Wed 01/06/10 09:08 AM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Wed 01/06/10 09:10 AM

Why do so many people read forums, yet not respond to posts. There are tons of views on many threads, yet not so many responses. Even threads where the response is easy and doesn't take a lot of thinking. I'm sure some will say they are shy. I don't see how someone can be shy online, though. So, what's the point of being a lurker?
Lurking is a hobby to some folks.
If your well known lurking in real life is really difficult cause you get recognized allot.
I used to lurk occasionally just for fun,now it has become a passion.
I lurk as much as I can but not as much as I'd like too cause folks are getting to know me.
They say"LOOK!he's lurking over there or LOOK he's lurking under here!".
Basically Lurking is becoming a lost art.Very few people really have the skill to Lurk properly so Lurking in general is not as fun as it used to be.
I"m thinking of joining Lurkers anonymous soon cause I cant think of anything but LURKING!!!!frustrated

no photo
Wed 01/06/10 08:53 AM
I make it a point to keep one eye on the future and one eye on the past.

I am know cross eyedohwell

no photo
Wed 01/06/10 08:48 AM
The trick is not to reveal your income and status.
I never tell the ladies that I am fabulously wealthy or that I think nothing of flying to Paris for lunch or that I'm a great lover or that I am famous or that........oops

no photo
Wed 01/06/10 08:33 AM

Knowing cannot be done through language alone then?

Can we know a thing without having been that thing, or can we just be aware 'of' it's existence? If we are that thing, does this then mean that we automatically know that thing? One's self!!!

I like to think I know my penis, but I have never been one. I have however known some dlcks. rofl
I don't usually comment on these Enigma discussions but i must congratulate you on your wide experience with ***** and encourage you to spend more time with your penis so you can nurture it and help it to growoops

no photo
Wed 01/06/10 08:17 AM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Wed 01/06/10 08:20 AM

Good question. I was hoping that more people would offer their knowledge on this religion. I guess not many are interested in the end. I can research it and see what happened. There are no guarantees that I will find the answer.

That is when you wish you had such people like Professor Joseph Campbell who studies mythology and theology and gives fruitful stories of them.

We shall see what we will come up withdrinker
I did research it.The solution was to lay there dead on stone slabs in selected holy sites where they could be devoured by animals.In this way they did not pollute the elements.
Tibet has a similar custom called a "Sky Funeral" in which the body is defleshed and the bones ground into meal all of witch is left for animals to consume.There reason differs how ever.Tibetans believe it is noble to offer your body as food.I've witnessed it.Gruesome does not Begin to describe it.

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 07:04 PM

legalize...but make it mandatory that all government officials have to smoke it:banana:
And if they refuse we should use the "Shot Gun" aproachshades

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 06:44 PM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Tue 01/05/10 06:49 PM

Here's the argument from determinists.
Biology at its most basic level is predictable.

Yes – in most of the sciences we look to cause and effect to support our theories. Our universe has proven to be a rather mechanistic place functioning deterministically through the laws of nature. All parts of the universe, including humans, function under the laws that guide motion and matter.

This philosophy is often referred to as ‘Hard Determinism’, in which an unbroken chain of cause and effect extends from the most distant universal past to your individual decisions today, and well beyond us to all matter in the universe.

Since our mental selves are a manifestation of biology there is no ground for free will.
Free will proponents argue that biology is organized information contained in genes.The origin of that information is unknown ------ which implies the existence of intelligent design IE God.

Well I see a problem right away in that genetics are actually part of the argument that upholds the deterministic view. If we function “strictly” though genetics then we are acting reflexively (as in making choices purely based on survival outcome). Furthermore, if cause and effect were followed back to the origin of ‘first cause’ we would have the ‘formula’, so-to-speak, for how that DNA was created and encoded.

The “leap” you say is taken comes when “unknown” information is transformed into a specific design by an intelligent “First Cause”.

But then they make a "leap of faith" to the Bible and its implication of free will.

The ‘evolution’ of Christianity (at least in part) seems to keep this philosophical debate continuing. God is the supreme all-powerful, all-knowing authority and creator of the universe. That sort of flies in the face of free-will, don’t you think?

If God knows all ‘before’ it happens, than it means that all things have been determined “predestined”. The oldest forms of Judaism, Christianity, and Muslim religions including many today, include a doctrine of predestination.

Given those circumstances “Jesus” makes sense as a redeemer of sins would be absolutely necessary because it was thought that we actually had no free will. Not that we were bad, mind you, but that ‘evil’ existed which would lead us astray – and this was predestined, so a savior requesting only belief that he is God can forgive anything you do that causes harm.

But of course religion evolves and it evolved when people realized – Hey, why are you blaming me? Why are you holding me responsible? Was I not ‘made’ this way? Was I not led astray by the forces of evil?

Oh heck no – you have ‘FREE WILL’. So now you must take responsibility for your actions.laugh

Well – I could really have fun with this – but I’ll move on to an in-between ideal called indeterminism (so-called by William James) also means fee-will.

The quick and short of it is this: Freedom of will exists insofar as we are limited in our choices in any given circumstance. This does not have to disrupt the chain of cause and effect – obviously we act, behave, or are put in motion, because we have been affected by a previous cause. If the action we take is a self-determined action of free-will (not a reflexive survival action) that we are actually making a choice and the outcome of that choice will go on to be the cause of some other action in the chain.

This is not to say that ‘free-will’ rues the day – not at all. In fact sometimes we must choose between very limited options, in situations we would not wish to be in much less have only the choices we are faced with. But that’s where our sense of ought (responsibility) is supposed to come in. We choose based of what it best, what we have been ‘taught’ is best – is that really free-will?

Any - a final question - since you mentioned that it is Judeo-Christians who defend free-will - I wonder, do you think atheists are all determinists???

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 06:44 PM

Yes – in most of the sciences we look to cause and effect to support our theories. Our universe has proven to be a rather mechanistic place functioning deterministically through the laws of nature. All parts of the universe, including humans, function under the laws that guide motion and matter.

This philosophy is often referred to as ‘Hard Determinism’, in which an unbroken chain of cause and effect extends from the most distant universal past to your individual decisions today, and well beyond us to all matter in the universe.

Since our mental selves are a manifestation of biology there is no ground for free will.
Free will proponents argue that biology is organized information contained in genes.The origin of that information is unknown ------ which implies the existence of intelligent design IE God.

Well I see a problem right away in that genetics are actually part of the argument that upholds the deterministic view. If we function “strictly” though genetics then we are acting reflexively (as in making choices purely based on survival outcome). Furthermore, if cause and effect were followed back to the origin of ‘first cause’ we would have the ‘formula’, so-to-speak, for how that DNA was created and encoded.

The “leap” you say is taken comes when “unknown” information is transformed into a specific design by an intelligent “First Cause”.

But then they make a "leap of faith" to the Bible and its implication of free will.

The ‘evolution’ of Christianity (at least in part) seems to keep this philosophical debate continuing. God is the supreme all-powerful, all-knowing authority and creator of the universe. That sort of flies in the face of free-will, don’t you think?

If God knows all ‘before’ it happens, than it means that all things have been determined “predestined”. The oldest forms of Judaism, Christianity, and Muslim religions including many today, include a doctrine of predestination.

Given those circumstances “Jesus” makes sense as a redeemer of sins would be absolutely necessary because it was thought that we actually had no free will. Not that we were bad, mind you, but that ‘evil’ existed which would lead us astray – and this was predestined, so a savior requesting only belief that he is God can forgive anything you do that causes harm.

But of course religion evolves and it evolved when people realized – Hey, why are you blaming me? Why are you holding me responsible? Was I not ‘made’ this way? Was I not led astray by the forces of evil?

Oh heck no – you have ‘FREE WILL’. So now you must take responsibility for your actions.laugh

Well – I could really have fun with this – but I’ll move on to an in-between ideal called indeterminism (so-called by William James) also means fee-will.

The quick and short of it is this: Freedom of will exists insofar as we are limited in our choices in any given circumstance. This does not have to disrupt the chain of cause and effect – obviously we act, behave, or are put in motion, because we have been affected by a previous cause. If the action we take is a self-determined action of free-will (not a reflexive survival action) that we are actually making a choice and the outcome of that choice will go on to be the cause of some other action in the chain.

This is not to say that ‘free-will’ rues the day – not at all. In fact sometimes we must choose between very limited options, in situations we would not wish to be in much less have only the choices we are faced with. But that’s where our sense of ought (responsibility) is supposed to come in. We choose based of what it best, what we have been ‘taught’ is best – is that really free-will?

Any - a final question - since you mentioned that it is Judeo-Christians who defend free-will - I wonder, do you think atheists are all determinists???

This is probably a bit simplistic but it seems that the entire pro and con argument boils down to a mater of semantics.
If it were possible to communicate the essence of our minds with out words even in thought I believe there would be much more harmony among people.God,Devil,Good Evil,Positive Negative,Yin Yang,Order Chaos,etc.All are attempts at apprehending the same "thing"(for lack of a better word)that has existed from the beginning of human existence and possibly before.It seems to be dichotomy that allows existence to be manifest.To be honest I'm still groping in the darkness of trying to understand.

So much great stuff has been posted here that I am humbled by it.
Thanks to all of you...

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 10:25 AM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Tue 01/05/10 10:29 AM

....and some people should walk down to the water and keep going straight out:laugh
Your FUNNY...unless you meant that for me...in which case I'm really Hurtsad

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 10:18 AM

What happens if you live on or a near a beach??? Huh? Huh? I'll tell you what happens. You normally like it and like walking on it. You are an exception.

You know what I hate? People who think their opinions count for anything and get all pissy and whiny when expressing dissatisfaction.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Tsk,Tsk,Tsk.Are you just a bit Judgemental?
This post was ment as a JOKE!
Makes me question your IQ...oops

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 10:01 AM

as I see it

according to Einstein's math, time is a discrete finite entity. If you could step out of it and look in, everything happens all at the same time. We are just forced to experience that time linearly

so everything that has happened will happen and is happening right now

so everything you do you've already done

so whatever choices you make you've already made and you're locked in

so while I believe in free will I also believe in destiny
Excellent,Thank you.I can use this argument(with your permission of course) to stir things up.

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 09:30 AM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Tue 01/05/10 09:32 AM

Keep it illegal.
I kind of agree,here's why.
If we legalize it a lot more folks are going to smoke and demand Always drives prices Up not to mention taxes.
I can barely afford the "mean green" as it is,if its legalized I may have to drop down a level.sad

no photo
Tue 01/05/10 09:14 AM
Thanks ladies,very insightful.
Free will proponents argue that biology is organized information contained in genes.
The origin of that information is unknown which implies the existence of intelligent design IE God.
I have not taken a stance on this debate as I don't have enough information yet.
Thanks for responding.

no photo
Mon 01/04/10 11:05 PM
I am involved in a discussion with some rather intimidatingly intelligent folks on this question and would appreciate thoughts from both sides.please feel free to elaborate in detail on your point of view...

no photo
Mon 01/04/10 10:50 PM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Mon 01/04/10 10:58 PM
Hi folks,this is my first ever post in a looong time.
Seems to me the question of pot being good or bad is irrelevant cause Any thing can be abused.
The real question is
Dose the govt have the right to negate a natural right?
If i may elaborate,a natural right is the use of something that has been accepted for a long period of time with out legislation.
Example: strawberries have been consumed since the beginning of our great country,to make them illegal would remove our Natural right.
pot has been with us from the beginning as well.
In 1937 the govt took that natural right away.
The thing that should be alarming is whats next?and do we want our govt to encroach on our freedom in other areas now that the door has been opened?
My humble opinion is NO!

Not sure how to work these forums yet so plese bare with me...

no photo
Fri 05/08/09 09:20 PM
yeah yeah yeah its all about the earth huh!well what about us martians,what happened to us i ask you?just cause were shorter and have two more arms and an extra eye there's no need to discriminate!!you earthlings have always been elitists.do the numbers on all the planets in exactly the same proximity to there star as earth and then go study something mathematical called probability....peace...

no photo
Fri 05/08/09 09:07 PM
I MARRIED ONE!!!!!she did all those things and more,like ,she was a magician too,she made all my stuff disappear,yeah and she was a water sign and I'm an earth sign so together we made MUD!...i don't think she evolved very well at all...peace...

no photo
Fri 05/08/09 08:50 PM
Edited by BOSKOINC on Fri 05/08/09 08:54 PM
WOW,-adventurebegins-,for a minute there i thought YOU were Jesus!i had a catholic rosary some Hindu incense and a Buddhist prayer wheel going at the same time i was so impressed!!my religion is HEINZ 57,yes,I'm a mutt.Buddha,Jesus,Mohamed,etc all had one thing in common.see if you can figure it out from this quote."some men read WAR AND PEACE and come away thinking they just read an adventure novel.some men read a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe".this quote came from a SUPERMAN movie!!!You see,insight can come frome anywhere at anytime,even a superman movie.understanding is the lesson all great teachers teach...peace...

no photo
Fri 05/01/09 12:07 AM

Previous 1