Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:37 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Sat 10/08/11 03:39 PM

I know.

But I was asking JRboogie. He is the one who made the statement.

He doesn't believe anything so I guess he doesn't believe his own statements.

absurd, jeanie. i realize you've had to wait for my reply but i happen to have other interests that take me away from dating site forums from time to time. i'll stand by my statement. mh, you may place your pretty feet upon my toes whenever it suites you.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 12:06 PM

as far as the mlk statement, doesnt he realize nearly EVERY city has an mlk blvd,, not just oakland,,lol

I guess he was trying to compare his fathers noteriety in nashville, to mlk's noteriety in oakland? but he didnt mention all the other places where there ISNT a hank williams blvd,, huh?

ya think he uses the same line in all those ciies with mlk street signs, mh?

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:51 AM
that fifty percent of federal prosecutions were directed at immigrants doesn't surprise me as the vast majority of all prosecutions are conducted by the states and local municipalities.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:37 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Sat 10/08/11 04:46 AM
this thread's title, 'nfl compares obama to hitler', is in itself a false statement. the video showing exactly what hank said is readily accessable if you want to see what was said and who said it.

williams is a racist bigot. i attended a concert of his in oakland, ca., never again, where he made a sarcastic 'big deal' that oakland has a boulevard named after martin luther king and went on to say that nashville has a boulevard named after hank williams, his father. what was that all about if not racism? why did he not use washington ave. or lincoln boulevard or bob hope drive as a comparison? why mlk v hank williams?

i see espn's action as highly courageous. whether or not it pays off for them is irrelavent.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:30 AM
how did the word 'hate' get interjected into such a poll. therein lies the problem with politics in america today. way too much use of the word hate.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:24 AM
nothing suggests to me that devine intervention exists.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:17 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Sat 10/08/11 04:18 AM
not theist, not atheist. won't even put a label on what i am as few can agree on definitions of labels. i do think that the human mind is incapable of knowing the existance of gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. that morals and ethics are derived out of simple common sense. that questions regarding the beginnings of the universe and the ascension of the species can best be explained, if that is even possible, by the scientific method. faith has no bearing on my thinking. i believe nothing. question everything. lable me as you choose.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:07 AM
nowhere in any dictionary have i seen the word 'believe' associated with the word 'suppose.' i see 'hypothesis', 'assume', but no 'belief' or any dirivitive of the word.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:00 AM

When one acts in such a way that it has damaging negative effects/affects upon society at large, the action best be publicly justified/justifiable, not only by the actor themself, but also by those whose lives are affected/effected.

that's just it. hitler did not think that he was acting in a way that would have damaging negative effects upon society. in fact he felt the oposite. we could go on all day arguing whether or not republican actions or democrat actions in congress have damaging effects upon the american society at large and no two people would agree wholeheartedly. many would say that the action of the supremes in deciding roe v wade has damaging negative effects on society and many more think the decision to be completely justified.

It is not so much that I cannot(have not) draw(n) the distinction, Dragoness. Rather, what bothers me is that when I do, some things become apparent in such a way that I cannot be satisfied with the conclusions that follow. It is impossible for justification to be satisfied by personal value alone, and I'll tell you why that is the case. Justification is contingent upon personal value assessments which are contingent upon social constructs. Therefore, justification is necessarily contingent upon social constructs(public).

so would you personally justify a man beating his wife in saudi arabia? there is a contigent among the society in that country, their public, that sees such an act to be justified.

if we hold that self-justification constitues being justification, then it necessarily follows that Hitler was justified.

but WE don't hold that self justification constitutes being justified. there is no WE in all of this. there are simply somewhat more than six billion individuals and counting on the planet each with his/her own ideas of what is and is not justified.

Now most of us would hopefully realize that that statement cannot be true because that would mean that such behavior could be argued for being permissible. This renders non man-made behavioral law unattainable.
that is precisely why man made laws exist. so that a perp such as hitler cannot get away with his own self justification.

If one is arguing that justification is not public, then nothing contained within can necessarily depend upon a social construct or the argument is refuted. If behavioral codes are born of a group, then surely it must be necessarily social(public). Moral/ethical codes are socially created. Justification necessarily contains personal value assessments as well, some of which conflict with universal moral law and some of which do not. Value assessment is social behavior. Social is public, not private. Personal justification is entirely based in personal value assessment - most of which is social at it's roots. Society manifests social behavior laws, some of which are man-made and some of which are not.

different societies, publics, have differing ideas on what is and is not justified. even among our own society, public, not everybody agrees. was bush justified in invading iraq? for every large group, public, you find that says he was, i'll find a very large group, public, that says he was not. so which public justification shall i find to be true justification and which false? shall i find saudi arabia's public justification, laws, of husbands beating wives justified or can i instead see that america's public justification, laws, that women are every bit the equal of men and shall be treated accordingly?

It is impossible for justification to exist without public affairs. To claim that it is not public is to contradict known fact and common sense combined.

sure. so long as you accept the fact that public affairs don't always see justification the same.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:32 AM

Seemed sort of implied though given what you believe.

nothing implied, pretty much posted as it was meant,,,

agreed. you implied nothing regarding your own beliefs during this discussion.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:30 AM

Oh boy here we go again.........frustrated

You do realize that Christianity doesn't hold the monopoly on God right? Just cause they don't conform to what you "believe" God is and what God expects, doesn't mean they are wrong. To think as such is the height of arrogance flat out.

christianity has nothing in the least to do with the topic.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:21 PM
as you wish. i'd never suggest such a thing about your views but then i'm not you.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:19 PM

looked up 'assumed'. yep. means what i thought it means.

Does it mean "INCONCEIVABLE!"?

not in the least.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:15 PM

I think they should change it to:

IN KARMA WE TRUST.

drinker bigsmile laugh laugh

Well considering it is money, I would say something tangible. Maybe "in gold we trust" or "in the USA we trust".

In whatever you believe you trust...lol

as long as it spends i'm in love with however it looks.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:05 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Fri 10/07/11 07:12 PM

nowhere. it's common law. you won't find anything in the constitution that gives states the authority to issue drivers licenses either.

haha

Drivers licenses?

That is because the constitution is the framework of the federal government.

your not saying that laws passed by the states are not subject to the constitution of the united states are you? are you really saying that? how do you explain roe v wade then? it was a texas state law that forbade abortion that was found unconstitutional based mainly on the fourteenth amendment. tell me this while we're on the subject of what is and is not in the cosntitution. does the constitution give you the right to vote?

Judicial review was debated and purposely excluded by the framers.

No one discussed interpretation of intent because the Bill of Rights is worded rather simply that most anyone can understand.

not so in the least. the courts often refer to the federalist papers for the purpose of determining what the founders intended. if everyone can understand what the bill of rights say needing no interpretation then how do you explain the controversy over the second amendment? the amendment was interpreted to apply only to the state's right to form a militia. it was not until heller that it was further interpreted as protecting the right of individuals to bear arms for self defense.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".

No one is going to tell me that those words mean or their intent was to keep people from discussing or displaying their own personal beliefs in a school or anywhere else.

well the courts have certainly told you as much on numerous occasions. a federal district court in pensylvania said just that when it struck down a local school board's scheme to include intelligent design in the science ciriculum. the court saw that it was a sham, disguising creation, a religious concept, as intelligent design.

Those men were very smart, but apparently they never anticipated how stupid this country would become.

actually that is exactly what they anticipated. the electoral college is a perfect example of how the founders viewed the stupidity of the country both then and in the future.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:46 PM

jrbogie,

If the statement were changed perhaps the idea of what it takes for it to be true would be clear.

"There is a bomb in your car."

Now whether or not you see it or believe it, you really need to know the truth of that statement.

What would it take for that statement to be true?

If and only if there is a bomb in your car, that statement is true.

It does not matter if you see it or believe it or experience it. I don't think you will want to experience it first hand. I don't think you would want to go to your car and get in and start it until you were quite sure one way or the other.

Not believing the statement will not help save your life if the statement is true.

if i go and see the bomb then i'd agree the statement was true. but i can excercise caution and not approach the car if i think the person making the statement is credible. i would not have to believe that there is a bomb in the car to be cautious of the possibility or even probability that there is a bomb in the car. i can simply think that there is likely a bomb in the car as i think it likely the big bang occured.

While all of that above is just common sense, you will still, at some point, want to know if the statement is true or not.

The statement that 'there is a bomb in your car' is only true if there is a bomb in your car.

That is what it takes for the statement to be true.

What you believe is irrelevant. What you experience is irrelevant.

what i believe is indeed irrelevant. that's why i believe nothing. regardles, for me to consider it true that there is a bomb i must see the bomb, unil then it's all supposition. a supposition that suggests caution for sure but a supposition nonetheless. saying, 'he told me there's a bomb in the car and i suppose that if what he says is true, maybe it is, maybe not, it makes sense to err on the side of caution so i won't go near the car', would be a common sense approach to the situation. still, i've no way to know that his statement is true.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:35 PM
give it further attention as you wish.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:06 PM

The statement "Hitler was justified" is either true, false or neither. There is no 'true for you' and 'true for him'.

Truth is not subject to your belief.

truth is subjective to each individual. but we already know we disagree here.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:55 PM

Here's the problem with such an approach. It necessarily ends in incoherence. A statement cannot be both true and false simultaneously. That is clearly supported by the law of non-contradiction. Therefore, the statement "Hitler was justified in his actions" is either true, false, or neither. It cannot be both. One is the negation of the other.

hitler was justified in his actions is a true statement for him. his truth. hitler was justified in his actions is a false statement for me. my untruth if you will.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:49 PM

No jrbogie,

According to your argument, justification is personal. Therefore, if that is true, then Hitler was justified - because your notion does not factor into how you've set things out here.

no, according to what you think my argument is. but that's not my argument. hitler was justified in his mind. hitler was not justified in my mind.

1 2 13 14 15 17 19 20 21 24 25