Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 06:02 AM
no, i don't believe that. i mean that. perhaps reading comprehension should be a topic of discussion. lol. what's that? a personal attack from me? ah hell, who's perfect, huh?

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 05:56 AM

So its moving 40 miles a year... If you live 3,000 miles away from the pole, then you are looking at the angle whose tangent is 40/3,000...thats a very small angle.

In the scale of geological time, its fast!

And when it comes to using directions for orienteering, sailing, flying, etc, small angles really matter!

But as far as looking at your compass and seeing how much its changed in the last year - its not going to be very much.

Maybe in the last year, but I am 62 years old and if memory serves me well, I remember when it used to point to north on the compass and now it points a bit north east. Like if north is 12:00 on a clock, the compass, where I am, points to 1:00.

Now if Denver is North and I was walking and I followed this compass I would miss Denver by a long shot going in that direction.

I know it "says" north, but north ain't the same as it used to be.

JB- if you started from say Central America and attempted to go 'north' to Denver using only a compass for navigation... You would miss it every time. (even with out the pole shift of more recent times).

You must also know the 'magnetic deviation' for your area. (which can vary a lot from place to place depending upon the 'local' magnetic field as well as the fact that earths magnetic field rarely 'lines up' with the actual spin axis).

good point. suppose you're standing between the geographical north pole and the magnetic north pole, somewhere in extreme northern canada or wherever. would you follow your compass south to get to warmer climes in miami?

btw, jb, the compass has never pointed directly true north from all points on the planet. not in the sixty two years you've lived nor ever.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 05:46 AM
precisely my point, jeannie. cameras are not necessarily reliable "to fairly assess what actually happend." we keep bowing to the judgement of an individual.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 05:41 AM
a compass will always point to MAGNETIC north, conrad. not to TRUE north. in fact a magnetic compass is all but useless for navigating the extreme northern latitudes. with the invention of gps and other lrn systems, the mag compass is pretty much useless anywhere anymore.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 05:18 AM
hey, being the poor loser that i am, i'll play golf with anybody i think i can beat. could care less about seeing eye to eye politically, religiously or anything else.

hmmmmmmm. got me thinkin'. one, being able to count the number of times i've played eighteen holes on one hand, i'm a terrible golfer. two, the contrarian that i am, i see very few things eye to eye with anyone. maybe i'll look into those solo freeclimbing lessons and i'll take up scaling virtical granite cliffs like el capitan in yosemite without ropes. prolly safer, ya think?

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 05:06 AM

I havent been able to read the thread, but want to thank everyone for posting.......and hopefully being nice throughout the thread....anyways...

I feel that taking blessing away from school football/sports games by a priest remain wrong in publc schools and intead o prohibiting the practice, but including the religous blessing of all players would remin a better practice inclusion over exclusion IMO

seems to me that the only way to be fair to all religions in doing that would be that prayer from every religion on the planet would have to take place in these government venues. and even then where is the fairness for the secular folks who actually see religious dogma as harmful to humanity? the only way for government to fairly treat all religious belief fairly is to keep religion entirely out of government. that is precisely what the establsihment clause is meant to do. EXCLUDE religion from government.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 04:55 AM

why would i make the statement that i did not read anything that suggest mh mentioned or implied christianity? well, simply because i did not read anything that mh mentioned or implied christianity. like these easy questions.

That was not the statement I was referring to.

But why would I be interested in anything that you may or may not have read?

If I am to believe that you don't believe anything, your opinion on anything is rather pointless.

yourself and creativesoul are far from the first people to call my opinions pointless, jeannie. what would be a first would be my saying to anybody that there opinion is pointless. but then i'm not you or creativesoul or any of the other people who judge mine or anybody elses opinions as pointless, invalid, moronic, dumb or many other adjectives that convey very negatively. but if you think that saying my opinion is pointless somehow addresses the topic of discussion, be my guest because frankly i could care less whether or not you'd be interested in anything i have to say if that's your attitude. i didn't think it was. now i know. but fear not, i'm questioning my newfound knowledge as i type this. sheesh. i just might be wrong about you. ya think? lol.

jrbogie's photo
Sun 10/09/11 04:05 AM

I thought he might have meant 'reversed' instead of 'shifted'.

ah. in that case i guess australia would no longer be down under. lol.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 06:20 PM

Wouldn't cameras recording the event from different angles be the only way to fairly assess what actually happened?

not necessarily. take nfl instant replay calls for instance. oftentimes several cameras show different views of a play yet the officials see the films and decide that the camera views are inconclusive so the call on the play stands. the official that made the original call could be right, could be wrong but because the film does not show conclusively either way the ruling is that he was right. of course he still might very well have been wrong but there is nothing to suggest that he was. the call stands, the game goes on with nobody knowing absolutely what really happened. but i'll guarandamntee ya that both teams will differ on the call.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 06:11 PM
great then. nothing further as i've given it what i see as it's just do. now i suppose we can debate individual just do, huh? lol.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 06:05 PM
but i don't base my philosophy on what i find in the dictionary. i simply said that the word supposition has nothing to do with belief. actually i can't say that i have a philosopy. just a dictionary that explains an accepted meaning of words. oh, a number of other books too but nothing philisophical. i simply say what i mean, mean what i say. quite simple really.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 05:59 PM
why would i make the statement that i did not read anything that suggest mh mentioned or implied christianity? well, simply because i did not read anything that mh mentioned or implied christianity. like these easy questions.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:15 PM
i believe nothing, jeanie. my experience is that i've read nothing to indicate that christianity was mentioned or implied by mh.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:10 PM
okay fine. googled, 'definition of supposition'. no mention of belief. no, i'm not about to click on every link.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:05 PM

Let's add something new to the discussion...

Does demonstrably false belief constitute adequate ground for being justified in action based upon such belief?

false belief according to whom. i might say that genesis is a demonstrably false belief being that there is much evidence to suggest the big bang as an alternative explanation for the creation of the visible universe. and yet many feel that their belief in creation does indeed constitute adequat grounds for genesis being justified based solely on that belief.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 04:00 PM

If justification is personal then it only follows that Hitler was justified, that Ted Bundy was justified, Charlie Manson, Jack the Ripper, etc.

Either those people are/were justified or justification is not personal.

they may or may not have felt justified in their own minds. none were justified in my mind.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:58 PM

that is precisely why man made laws exist. so that a perp such as hitler cannot get away with his own self justification.

Man-made laws(ethics) are prima facie evidence that the act of justification is a public/social event that depends upon public/social roots, and is therefore not personal.

it was a group of individuals with like minded ideas that made the event happen. even so, once the particular law was innacted, many will see the law as unjust.

Justification is a public affair jrbogie. Warrant is personal. Putting one's personal warrant into coherent and meaningful terms is the act of justification. Your example shows this nicely.

nope.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:53 PM

Type supposition into the google box...

laugh

typed it into yahoo search. no mention of belief. google isn't a toolbar of mine but i'll go with dictionary definition nonetheless.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:52 PM

Type supposition into the google box...

laugh

typed it into yahoo search. no mention of belief. google isn't a toolbar of mine but i'll go with dictionary definition nonetheless.

jrbogie's photo
Sat 10/08/11 03:43 PM

as far as the mlk statement, doesnt he realize nearly EVERY city has an mlk blvd,, not just oakland,,lol

I guess he was trying to compare his fathers noteriety in nashville, to mlk's noteriety in oakland? but he didnt mention all the other places where there ISNT a hank williams blvd,, huh?

ya think he uses the same line in all those ciies with mlk street signs, mh?

musicians have done crazier things,,lol

He just SEEMS (not saying definitively cause I truly know nothing other than what I have read on him) to not have a gauge or a concern for his surroundings,,,

well i only know what i experienced at the one concert of his i attended. actually it wasn't just his concer, charley daniels and a couple other country stars whose names escape me, were performing too. but when he made the comment several black folks got up and left. i would have but i really wanted to see charley daniels sing 'the devil went down to georgia.' lol.

1 2 12 13 14 16 18 19 20 24 25