Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:47 PM

I suppose I'm questioning what the world would be like if we were only held accountable to our own conscience. Self-justification.

ah ha, there it is in a nutshell. because everybody's concience is their own and unique, we hold people accountable by law. we'd need no laws if everybody's concience was the same, if everybody's moral and ethical compass was the same. hitlers acts were unconcionable to me and you but they were not unconcionable to him and his nazi followers.

I cannot find much coherency in what you're claiming jrbogie. On the one hand the claim is personal, and on the other it is obviously cultural, and on the other it is obviously international...

Looks public to me.

it's only public in that groups of people, each with their own like minded concience, collectively decide that something is culturally correct for that society. i've not said that various groups of individuals do not share similar lines of reasoning. we have democrats and republicans, for instance; two very different groups. one made up of like minded individuals who are the polar oposits politically of the other group of like minded individuals. one of these very public groups justifies tax increases to get us out of our economic situation. the other group thinks such tax increases are not justified yet each group has a small number of individuals who disagree on the taxing ideas of the rest of the group. so it's easy to say publically that democrates are a tax and spend bunch and that republicans are a smaller government bunch and yet some members of either party advocate the oposit of their party's platform on taxes.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:26 PM

So, Hitler was justified according to your account of what constitutes being so.

hitler was justified according to his moral and ethical compass. not justified according to mine.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:22 PM

well, i've told you what it takes for a statement to be true to me.

It's no more coherent now than it was then. What are you calling "your truth" and "my truth"?

when i say that i experienced something that is my truth but not necessarily your truth. what your truth is i cannot say because you use words suchs as belief and faith in describing your truth. words that do not apply to me. nonetheless, we all hold truth individually.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:16 PM

jrbogie,

If the statement were changed perhaps the idea of what it takes for it to be true would be clear.

"There is a bomb in your car."

Now whether or not you see it or believe it, you really need to know the truth of that statement.

What would it take for that statement to be true?

If and only if there is a bomb in your car, that statement is true.

It does not matter if you see it or believe it or experience it. I don't think you will want to experience it first hand. I don't think you would want to go to your car and get in and start it until you were quite sure one way or the other.

Not believing the statement will not help save your life if the statement is true.

if i go and see the bomb then i'd agree the statement was true. but i can excercise caution and not approach the car if i think the person making the statement is credible. i would not have to believe that there is a bomb in the car to be cautious of the possibility or even probability that there is a bomb in the car. i can simply think that there is likely a bomb in the car as i think it likely the big bang occured.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 05:05 PM
looked up 'assumed'. yep. means what i thought it means.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 04:59 PM
nowhere. it's common law. you won't find anything in the constitution that gives states the authority to issue drivers licenses either.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:30 AM
well, i've told you what it takes for a statement to be true to me. you dissagree but that is my view nonetheless.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:27 AM

It's been shewn.
I agree, and many example used, getting old really. I done.

k, see ya.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:24 AM

no. i experience myself seeing.
You can take this as far as you like, but you are making assumptions, those assumptions if held to be accurate is belief, and if you have no data to back up those assumptions, then they are faith.

ah, but i never hold assumtions to be accurate. if i did they would not be assumtions. but i do agree that many people do hold assumptions to be accurate and their belief that such is the case does indeed require faith such as those who assume the genesis is correct in describing how the universe was created. but that of course is not me. and suspecting you'll now bring up the big bang theory, i've made no assumtion as to it's accuracy either. sounds much more plausible than genesis though.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:16 AM
the magnetic poles shift constantly. every twenty four hours they are in a slightly different position than the day before. barely measurable of course but the shift is there. but when you ask, 'what would happen', are you referring to navigation, the effect on electrical devises, solar radiation, the northern lights?

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 07:10 AM

Knowing that one can conjure thoughts without experience would require having done so. We cannot remove ourselves from our experience to know such a thing.

sure. but i've experienced myself conjuring thoughts without having had the experience of the thought beforehand. i might postulate that a flying spaghetti monster created the universe without actually experiencing a spaghetti monster even existing much less watching as it created the universe. but i did experience myself postulating that a flying speghetti monster may have created the universe. i can experience a thought without the thought itself being based on experience. and of course many thoughts happen for the first time without my having ever experienced such a thought before.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:53 AM
Edited by jrbogie on Fri 10/07/11 06:55 AM

Seems to me that justification is as subjective as the claim itself… given to a multitude of variables based on the environment in which it is concluded and presented by the individual.

Agreed, but it does not follow that all justification rests upon equal ground.

to say that it is a public affair seems to attempt to apply a majority rules value to is.

I don't see how the act of public justification need be a case of majority rule value application.

no, all justification does not rest on equal ground. it rest's within the minds of each of us as individuals.

sometimes majority rule has value and othertimes not. were the majority to rule in the southern states some of those states would still be praciticing racial segregation. many would see no value in that but even then there would be much dissagreement. in this case where the value of majority rule was shown, in many american's minds, was the majority in congress that inacted the civil rights act. and yet some think the act unjustified.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:33 AM

Do we agree that justification is not satisfied by the person's own moral compass?

no we don't. justificaton IS satisfied in the person's own moral compass. it my not be satisfied by another's moral compass. justification is or is not justified based on each of our own moral and ethical compass. is the roe v wade decision justified? i think so yet many disagree with me. even the court was not uninimous in reaching the decision. seven saw a woman's equal right to due process and privacy as justified, two opined that such a right is not justified. if we all agreed on what is and is not justified we would need neither laws or the courts.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:25 AM

Perhaps it be better put another way, say, in the form of a question. Afterall this is a philosophy forum and asking the right kinds of questions, is crucial for doing philosophy.

Do you agree that there is an important distinction between being justified in thought/belief/action and thinking that one is justified?

justification is a person thing, soul. that's what i'll agree to. you mentioned the moral compass. that too is the product of each individual and often varies between any two people. most americans would think it morally unjustified for a husband to beat his wife for shaming him and yet the act is not only morally justified but legally justified in saudi arabia. justices is not the same everywhere on the planet. governments create laws because everybody cannot agree on what is and is not morally or ethically correct. you brought up hitler. many people justified his actions to purify the races as morally and ethically justified. many others disagreed to the point that a global war was fought over the issue. saddam justified his invasion of kuwait based on the league of nations stipping that land from iraq after the first world war. he justified the act as simply reclaiming land that was stolen from his country. the un disagreed with this justification and a coalition ran him out. i could go on and on with examples of one person or groups of persons who have thought their dispicable actions and atrocities to be justified morally and ethically according to THEIR OWN moral compass.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:09 AM

She can write god all over her own year book if she wants so she is not restricted. She just can't put it in everyones year book which is as it should be.

just as she cannot pray openly in class where everybody can hear it. we've as much right to freedom from religion as we've a right to freely practice it.

but not a right to PROHIBIT Its exercise or expression,, so where I See this as conflicting with her right not to be PROHIBITED, others apparently see it more about the rights of others to be FREE from it,,,

where I see a need for government not to prohibit her expression others see the need (As posted here) , because its RELIGIOUS Expression, feel government should not permit private individuals to speak it even when representing themself,,,if its on government property,,,

you simply don't seem to understand that the establishment clause exists, mh. you seem to agree that government should stay completely out of relegion and the clause requires exactly that. public schools are government entities but somehow you reason that a school respecting an establishment of your religion should be allowed. you cannot have it both ways. allowing open expression of religious beliefs in public schools indeed does violate the establshment clause.

jrbogie's photo
Fri 10/07/11 06:02 AM

I believe it broadly contradicts freedom of religious expression

forbidding a mandate toward religion would be seperate

forbidding ANY religious expression would be prohibiting which is also a part of what the constitution was trying to prevent

just like all speech is not free, as literally worded in the first amendment, all expression, religious or otherwise is not free. religion particularly is forbidden in schools on the basis of the establishment clause. i understand that you and most other folks of faith see it differently but numerous justices who practice christianity disagree with you. they opine that religious expression in school is barred by separation of church and state, states being the government entity that runs public schools. you are perfectly free to have your child educated in religious practices in school. you simply enroll them in a private school that teaches what you want taught or home school them yourself. but to have tax dollars educate your kids along with other kids whose parents may not want religion taught or even exposed to their kids through open prayer must be forbidden. we all have rights. your right to religious expression in schools cannot trump my right to not have it. you can freely shout your religious views on the street but i've the right to walk away. when religious views are shouted in schools my kids cannot just walk away nor should they have to. i pay my fair share of taxes, on which schools depend, just as you do.

I understand that , I just disagree with it and my disagreement holds no significance because its the courts decision

my feeling is that part of not respecting or prohibiting just requires the government stay out of it period

which to me means, just because I am of faith, I cannot dictate no motley crue shirts at school, I cannot dictate no mtv shirts at school, I cannot dictate no secular music at schoools,, and that does plenty to protect freedom of expression for NON RELIGIOUS persons

but non religious persons can be the basis that someone dictates my child cannot say a prayer at their high school graduation,, for instance

,, that is unfair and unequal application based in nothing BUT religion,, which I Think is not consistent with the idea of a government which stays out of it and respects all our rights equally,,,,

Except there is no restriction for your child to pray in school. The school cannot be involved or advocate for child to pray in school but my understanding of prayer is that it can be done silently any time of day or night with no persecution what so ever.

I think school officials broadly interpret things sometimes, just recently my baby cousin was asked for their yearbook to give a 'personal' quote she wanted to be remembered by

she simply stated something about turning to God and they made her pick a different quote

I think thats a BROAD net to throw out to avoid offending non religious,,,, a 'personal' quote should be a reflection of a person, and not a reflection of any institution, government, or school

it feels like the in type of bigotry is anti religion,, people want to express themself and have freedom for what they want to do, but they want to put peoples religious beliefs in a closet and force them to hide

I am taken aback that a school can have rainbow days explaining and celebrating homosexuality, but a student at a graduation cannot say a prayer,,,,

there is no comparison there at all.

Homosexuality is a natural human state of being from birth.

Religion is a belief.

Not comparable at all.

I wouldnt really care , some argue that religion is also hardwired based upon the family we are brought up in

some argue pedophilia is hardwired,,

that doesnt change the reasons I may not approve of it or want it forced upon me or my kids

the point is still that I dont have that same right to not have things FORCED on me or my children that the non religious have

Except to be tolerant is what black folks want, right?

They should understand homosexuals better than anyone. Tolerance involves knowledge to stop the fear and then prevention of discrimination and laws to make it all equal.

Having nothing to do with religion since homosexuality is a natural state of humans the same as being black instead of white is. All very natural states of humans. Needing to be taught that there is nothing wrong with any of it.

Religion on the other hand is taught and chosen.

No comparison.

Pedophilia being brought up every time by you when homosexuality is brought up showing your indoctrination and discrimination.

I think the comparison of blacks to homosexuals is about as ridiculous as you probably find comparing homosexuals to pedophiles,,, but back on point...

banning religious expression is anything but 'tolerant'

exactly the point I Was making

I can be asked to be (And am) 'tolerant' of all the homosexual lifestyle celebrations and support at public schools, but others dont have to be 'tolerant' of an individual STUDENTS choice of words to describe THEMSELF in a yearbook

seems like alot of hypocrisy by those who are so often accusing the religous of it,, to me

Being discriminated against for their natural state of being is shared by blacks and homosexuals. Very comparable.

She can write god all over her own year book if she wants so she is not restricted. She just can't put it in everyones year book which is as it should be.

she cant SPEAK it publicly, ,even if its just HER words,, thats great freedom of expression

a quote, is something someone has SPOKEN regarding their PERSONAL belief,, but if its a religious belief , its banned,, thats quite ridiculous

an its not being discriminated against for a natural state

its being discriminated against for ACTIONS,, quite different

when was the last time you heard the nursery had three heterosexual babies and four homosexual ones,,,? you dont

people just SEE gender or race,, they only SEE sexual preference when people decide to EXPRESS it

I cant come to the conclusion Im black, I Cant go through discovery to find out IM black, I cant hide my black in a closet, I cant be race curious, I Cant experiment with my racial identity

RACE and GENDER are there from BIRTH, decided by genetic history regardless of how those go on to act or feel

sexual preference is not decided when we are in the nursery, it is SELF ASSIGNED by us , based upon how we decide we FEEL and how we decide to act upon it

there is no discrimination involved. NOBODY is allowed an open expression of religion in school.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 09:18 PM

Ok jrbogie, I think that we've come to common ground. Correct me if this is off. All things humanly thought/believed and known stem from life experience.

hmmmm. i'll go with all things known by humans stem from personal life experience. i can conjur thoughts without experience. and belief of course is not necessary with experience. i simply see no place for belief.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 09:12 PM

If justification were satisfied solely by the conscience of the individual in question, then Hitler was justified.

Need more be said?

indeed, hitler did think his actions were justified as did many of his nazi followers. nope. nothing more need be said.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 09:08 PM

just as she cannot pray openly in class where everybody can hear it. we've as much right to freedom from religion as we've a right to freely practice it.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 09:04 PM

banning religious expression is anything but 'tolerant'

indeed. the constitution will not tolerat religious expression within government. so says the establishment clause. anywhere else such expression is a right which cannot be infringed. so says the free practice clause. two entirely different clauses one having nothing whatsoever to do with the other.