Community > Posts By > jrbogie

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 08:57 PM

I wouldnt really care , some argue that religion is also hardwired based upon the family we are brought up in

some argue pedophilia is hardwired,,

that doesnt change the reasons I may not approve of it or want it forced upon me or my kids

the point is still that I dont have that same right to not have things FORCED on me or my children that the non religious have

what is or is not 'hardwired' is not the issue in the least. you have every right to protest anything being taught in public schools, pedophilia or whatever, that every other parent does. but we're not talking about what is taught in school that should not. we're talking about what is already prohibited to be taught in school which is religion. you might not want evolution taught in school but the constitution does not prohibit that as it does prohibit teaching creation. you keep wandering off topic, mh. again, separation of church and state is the issue, not what you or i don't want taught in public schools. i think many of the humanities taught in k-12 are a waste of time when it comes to preparing our kids for the job force they'll face as adults. but that was not addressed by the founders nor was pedophilia, which happens to be a crime. religion was. how homosexuality came into the discussion i've not the slightest clue but schools should and do teach an appreciation for diversity of all kinds be it sexual preference, skin color OR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. but an appreciation of diversity in religious beliefs does not mean supporting the practice of those beliefs openly in school whether it be open prayer in the classroom or a quote about god in a yearbook.

it seems to me that instead of arguing what the first amendment says you'd be better off arguing that it be abolished and another amendment written without the establshment clause. let it go throught the process and if you can convince thirty eight state legislatures to ratify it you'll have what you want. short of that you'll not get religion taught or even recognized in public school.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 08:28 PM

I believe it broadly contradicts freedom of religious expression

forbidding a mandate toward religion would be seperate

forbidding ANY religious expression would be prohibiting which is also a part of what the constitution was trying to prevent

just like all speech is not free, as literally worded in the first amendment, all expression, religious or otherwise is not free. religion particularly is forbidden in schools on the basis of the establishment clause. i understand that you and most other folks of faith see it differently but numerous justices who practice christianity disagree with you. they opine that religious expression in school is barred by separation of church and state, states being the government entity that runs public schools. you are perfectly free to have your child educated in religious practices in school. you simply enroll them in a private school that teaches what you want taught or home school them yourself. but to have tax dollars educate your kids along with other kids whose parents may not want religion taught or even exposed to their kids through open prayer must be forbidden. we all have rights. your right to religious expression in schools cannot trump my right to not have it. you can freely shout your religious views on the street but i've the right to walk away. when religious views are shouted in schools my kids cannot just walk away nor should they have to. i pay my fair share of taxes, on which schools depend, just as you do.

I understand that , I just disagree with it and my disagreement holds no significance because its the courts decision

my feeling is that part of not respecting or prohibiting just requires the government stay out of it period

which to me means, just because I am of faith, I cannot dictate no motley crue shirts at school, I cannot dictate no mtv shirts at school, I cannot dictate no secular music at schoools,, and that does plenty to protect freedom of expression for NON RELIGIOUS persons

but non religious persons can be the basis that someone dictates my child cannot say a prayer at their high school graduation,, for instance

,, that is unfair and unequal application based in nothing BUT religion,, which I Think is not consistent with the idea of a government which stays out of it and respects all our rights equally,,,,

Except there is no restriction for your child to pray in school. The school cannot be involved or advocate for child to pray in school but my understanding of prayer is that it can be done silently any time of day or night with no persecution what so ever.

I think school officials broadly interpret things sometimes, just recently my baby cousin was asked for their yearbook to give a 'personal' quote she wanted to be remembered by

she simply stated something about turning to God and they made her pick a different quote

I think thats a BROAD net to throw out to avoid offending non religious,,,, a 'personal' quote should be a reflection of a person, and not a reflection of any institution, government, or school

that's far and away different from silent prayer, mh. the government, school district, sponsors yearbooks. for them to write religious quotes would be 'respecting an establishment of religion' clearly. can't do that.

I disagree. ITs a 'quote', its not respecting anything but someones right to express themself the way they choose to. IT only represents the person from whom the QUOTE is taken. She did not take a verse from a bible even,, she said something about how SHE personally turns to God. How could that be so broadly interpreted as the publishers of the book RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT of religion,, as opposed to the publishers giving each PERSON A chance to represent what is important to THEM,, religious or not.??

we can argue this all day nevertheless it's what the courts agree that matters. it would in fact be ruled as the school respecting an establishment of religion regardless whether or not you might agree. we have laws, the courts and a constitution simply because everybody does not agree on what individual rights should be protected and which government should and should not have the power to decide for us. and one issue that the government does not have the power to decide is the issue of religion either for or against. as you say, it must stay completely out of it. for god to appear in a yearbook would not amount to the government staying completely out of religion. it would mean the school district respecting an establishment of religion which is forbidden by the establishment clause. argue against it all day but it is what it is. you certainly have the right to nominate to the president yourself or anybody else who you'd like to see appointed to fill the next federal judgeship or supreme court justice position. then what you think would matter. short of that, the best any of us can do is understand the rulings as they are handed down. but we would not need a judiciary if we could all agree would we?

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 08:10 PM

I believe that my cup is on the table. Where's the faith?

you KNOW your cup is on the table because you EXPERIENCE seeing your cup on the table. but were you to tell me your cup is on the table i'd need faith in what you say to BELIEVE that what you say is true.
But does this not require faith in your ability to see?

no. i experience myself seeing.

You believe that your ability to experience seeing the cup is in fact an accurate way of gaining knowledge. Do you touch the cup to test your sight before you believe what you are seeing?

no. seeing the cup is good enough. i might choose to touch it instead but then i would have experienced feeling the cup on the table instead of seeing the cup. i experience many things, everything actually, using the five senses available to me.

We know we can see things that are not there

what have i seen that is not there? or what have you seen that was not there?

When we do scientific experiments we have no faith in our equipment, we test every component it is practical to test, and if we get results we doubt, we then rip it apart and test even those components that are not practical to test, but we do not do this with our sight .

i suppose, but i've yet to see anything that i doubted seeing. perhaps i didn't understand fully what exactly it was that i saw but i don't doubt that i saw it. slight of hand for instance. i saw the magician show me an empty top hat then watched as he pulled a rabit out of the hat. but i missed the slight of hand that made that happen. still, i experienced seein the empty hat and then experienced him pulling a rabbit out of the hat that he just showed me was empty. but it would require faith for me to believe that he actually pulled a rabbit out of an empty hat. which of course he relies on people doing just that to make his living.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:49 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Thu 10/06/11 07:51 PM

...another might say that my justification is in error based on his reading of the bible.

Indeed they may. Claiming an error in another's statements requires it's own justification by showing how it is in error. "Because the Bible says so" is unconvincing and does not pass the muster for reasons that can be explained if need be. I think that we agree here.

sure. to claim an error in the bible would require justification to support the claim. but the justification may not satisfy the claimant and yet the person challenging the claim will not see the justification as valid. people have argued that there is justification to try dubya as a war criminal yet nobody has actually brought forth formal charges. so many if not most in the legal system do not see such a charge as justified. justification is very much an individual thing.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:44 PM

Justification is a public affair jrbogie. Warrant is personal. Putting one's personal warrant into coherent and meaningful terms is the act of justification. Your example shows this nicely.

justification is not a public affair. a serial killer justifies his murder of prostitutes as a commandment he received from god to punnish women of the night. but does the public share in his justification? the roe v wade decision is justified based on the forteenth and fifth amendments but does the entire public agree in that justification?

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:36 PM

a statement alone about someone's experience is true only to that person.

My cup is on the table.

That statement is true(or not) to everyone. It may not be believed by everyone. But whether or not it is true is in no way contingent upon everyone's agreement. It is true if and only if my cup is on the table.

but if you call me on the phone and tell me your cup is on the table, i've no way of knowing it's a true statement. so without my going to your home and observing your cup on the table it's your truth, not mine. for me to believe what you say is true would require faith.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:29 PM

forbidding ANY religious expression would be prohibiting which is also a part of what the constitution was trying to prevent

just like all speech is not free, as literally worded in the first amendment, all expression, religious or otherwise is not free. religion particularly is forbidden in schools on the basis of the establishment clause. i understand that you and most other folks of faith see it differently but numerous justices who practice christianity disagree with you. they opine that religious expression in school is barred by separation of church and state, states being the government entity that runs public schools. you are perfectly free to have your child educated in religious practices in school. you simply enroll them in a private school that teaches what you want taught or home school them yourself. but to have tax dollars educate your kids along with other kids whose parents may not want religion taught or even exposed to their kids through open prayer must be forbidden. we all have rights. your right to religious expression in schools cannot trump my right to not have it. you can freely shout your religious views on the street but i've the right to walk away. when religious views are shouted in schools my kids cannot just walk away nor should they have to. i pay my fair share of taxes, on which schools depend, just as you do.

I understand that , I just disagree with it and my disagreement holds no significance because its the courts decision

my feeling is that part of not respecting or prohibiting just requires the government stay out of it period

which to me means, just because I am of faith, I cannot dictate no motley crue shirts at school, I cannot dictate no mtv shirts at school, I cannot dictate no secular music at schoools,, and that does plenty to protect freedom of expression for NON RELIGIOUS persons

but non religious persons can be the basis that someone dictates my child cannot say a prayer at their high school graduation,, for instance

,, that is unfair and unequal application based in nothing BUT religion,, which I Think is not consistent with the idea of a government which stays out of it and respects all our rights equally,,,,

Except there is no restriction for your child to pray in school. The school cannot be involved or advocate for child to pray in school but my understanding of prayer is that it can be done silently any time of day or night with no persecution what so ever.

I think school officials broadly interpret things sometimes, just recently my baby cousin was asked for their yearbook to give a 'personal' quote she wanted to be remembered by

she simply stated something about turning to God and they made her pick a different quote

I think thats a BROAD net to throw out to avoid offending non religious,,,, a 'personal' quote should be a reflection of a person, and not a reflection of any institution, government, or school

that's far and away different from silent prayer, mh. the government, school district, sponsors yearbooks. for them to write religious quotes would be 'respecting an establishment of religion' clearly. can't do that.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:22 PM

Confusing and not separating like it should be. This will be addressed in the future again. Religion is going to die in this country since it is harmful and not a positive influence for our country.

i agree that religious dogma can be harmful but religion will not die in this country any more than racism will which is also harmful. skinheads and the kkk will always maintain their right to speak the crap the speak freely without government intervention so long as they do so peaceably.

I think as we get smarter which will happen if we don't kill ourselves along the way, it will end or at least how we know of it today it will end. The belief of a magical being or beings that control things on the planet will go away anyway.

perhaps, but it will not end in the courts nor would i expect an amendment abolishing the first amendment.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:20 PM

but there is no establishment clause, no separation of state when it comes to freedom of expression or speech in general. it's religion specifically that the establishment clause was written to address. the amendment does not say that congress shall make no law respecting and establshment of a media entity, mtv, or a heavy metal band, motley crew, or anything of the sort. in fact the free speech and expression clause protects the right to become a fan of such. we did not war on king george because of his favored music or rock bands. we wared against government respecting an establishment of religion, among other things, and the fist amendment specifically specically address that prior to the first comma.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:09 PM

Confusing and not separating like it should be. This will be addressed in the future again. Religion is going to die in this country since it is harmful and not a positive influence for our country.

i agree that religious dogma can be harmful but religion will not die in this country any more than racism will which is also harmful. skinheads and the kkk will always maintain their right to speak the crap the speak freely without government intervention so long as they do so peaceably.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 07:05 PM

This is what the 'why' was for.

"They need more laws to protect the laws from being influenced by religion in general."

such laws would be in violation of the Constitution.

"Congress shall make NO law..."

Our legislative branch may NOT make laws restricting religion from ANYTHING...

Let me give you an example of an unconstitutional action that has been accepted by the citizens of the United States without out much ado...

Prayer is not allowed in school.

CONGRESS MAY MAKE NO LAW... How then can such a RESTRICTION have been allowed to stand.

As this is a part of the CONSTITITUTION, how can any STATE within the Republic remove such a right to practice religion without restriction... for that right is a right as a US citizen and therefore carries the weight of the Constitution.

For which some of us have IN THIS DAY also pledged our sacred honor.

Oh I guess you still don't get it, okay....

There shall be no "respect" in the government for any religion. NONE.

So in order for there not to be respect there can be no acknowledgement which our money violates and our courts violate and prayer in public schools violate and prayer in public places violates, etc...

not quite correct. government respect for religion is not in the constitution. many make this mistake. laws respecting an ESTABLISHMENT of religion are forbidden. there is a difference in that the congress does open sessions with prayer, god is on our money and in the pledge which respects religion without respecting the esstablishment of any religion. confusing somewhat i agree but the rulings are the rulings.

people arent going to stop being able to believe what they want to, the 'founding fathers' were supposedly trying to get away from religious persecution,, I Cant imagine a time when this country will function based in that very thing,,,,

there is plenty of positive contributions in this country that stem from religious organizations and congregations, to toss it all out because some are harmful would be like imagining that teen pregnancy will stop because it is 'harmful and not a positive influence'

many amazing people were raised by those who started as teen moms,

though I would never promote it, I certainly would never just paint all with the same brush and advocate for them all to just die out,,,

nobody is trying to throw out religion from american society. nor could they. your right to free practice of your religion is well guarded and i support that right of yours. two clauses cover the topic of religion in the first amendment. this thread is about the establishment clause or separation of church and state. but you keep bringing up the free excercise clause which has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 06:57 PM

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 06:40 PM

the constitution does not say there shall be no 'respect' for religion,,,wth

it says congress shall pass no LAW respecting an establishment of religion (nor, by the way, PROHIBITING its exercise of freedom of speech)

in this you are quite correct.

how can you allow people religious beliefs while not RESPECTING their right to them,,,,,,?

indeed you cannot. but as you say, that's not what the establishment clause says.

the congress may not pass LAWS placing one belief over another or a non belief over another,, instead they are to STAY out of beliefs and respect the citizens rights(one of which is freedom of expression)

the establishment clause means much more than prohibiting placing one belief over another. as you said again, by not respecting an establishment of religion it means that the goverment shall stay completely out of religion part of which means no teaching of religion in public schools or open prayer. public schools being government entities.

'Congress shall make no LAW respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING the free exercise thereof; OR ABRIDGING THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH , or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.'

great. now hopefully everybody here has read the amendment word for word. for what it actually means requires in depth review of much case history. the constitution, all of two pages, hardly covers word for word what makes up modern society. that's the sole purpose of article three. to keep the constitution a living document by establishing a judiciary to interpret the constitution in order for it to apply to a changing society. in that the federal courts do a bang up job, imo, even though i don't always agree with their decisions such as the notorious dred scott case. the real beauty of it though was the reconstruction amendments which assured another dred scott cannot happen again.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 06:16 PM

This is what the 'why' was for.

"They need more laws to protect the laws from being influenced by religion in general."

such laws would be in violation of the Constitution.

"Congress shall make NO law..."

Our legislative branch may NOT make laws restricting religion from ANYTHING...

Let me give you an example of an unconstitutional action that has been accepted by the citizens of the United States without out much ado...

Prayer is not allowed in school.

CONGRESS MAY MAKE NO LAW... How then can such a RESTRICTION have been allowed to stand.

As this is a part of the CONSTITITUTION, how can any STATE within the Republic remove such a right to practice religion without restriction... for that right is a right as a US citizen and therefore carries the weight of the Constitution.

For which some of us have IN THIS DAY also pledged our sacred honor.

Oh I guess you still don't get it, okay....

There shall be no "respect" in the government for any religion. NONE.

So in order for there not to be respect there can be no acknowledgement which our money violates and our courts violate and prayer in public schools violate and prayer in public places violates, etc...

not quite correct. government respect for religion is not in the constitution. many make this mistake. laws respecting an ESTABLISHMENT of religion are forbidden. there is a difference in that the congress does open sessions with prayer, god is on our money and in the pledge which respects religion without respecting the esstablishment of any religion. confusing somewhat i agree but the rulings are the rulings.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 06:07 PM
Edited by jrbogie on Thu 10/06/11 06:26 PM

thank you, I know we disagree on many things, but I often wonder why people just completely disregard the make no 'law' part,,,,to support all types of restrictions on religious expression,,,

show me one LAW that supports restrictions on religious expression. keep in mind, the constitution is not a law but a declaration by 'we the people' of how laws shall be enacted and which laws are forbidden to be enacted.

there are no such LAWS, that is my point

the constitution , as it relates to religion, only addresses it in terms of LAWS

yet judges constantly interpret it much more broadly to favor EXCLUSION of religion from many places, like schools, for instance

but barring religion in public schools is hardly a broad interpretation. it was what the first amendment was designed to do. separate church from government. government runs public schools. yes the first amendment does address laws but numerous court rulings have interpreted that to mean any effort to practice religion in a government setting such as a school board inserting intelligent design into a science curriculum or the practice of open prayer in class. the constitution must be interpreted as to meaning often simply because specific wording about a specific issue likely will not be found. abortion laws, for instance are not specifically addressed in the constitution yet the forteenth and fifth amendments were interpreted to apply in roe v wade. the founders could not have invisioned random road blocks to discourage dui yet the courts have ruled them perfectly legal so long as the fourth amendment protection against illegal search is held to.

jrbogie's photo
Thu 10/06/11 06:05 PM

Ok for example, the "in God we trust" on the dollar. Someone some where at some time decided to use that as an expression of his or her beliefs. If someone else decides to remove it then fine, but if there is a law stating that it can't be shown then that is a law restricting that persons expression of religion. I mean someone created the art for which the money was designed from. They should be allowed to express their religious views if they chose to. That is just one example.

in the elk grove school district v newdow case the supreme court ruled that the word "god" on our money has been "lost through rote repetition any significant religious content" and therefore is not in violation of the establishment clause.

I disagree. Whose god are they talking about and which god and what about the plural or more gods in one religion?

I think they did not want to redesign the money and did not realize how very divisive just the word god can be. It will be addressed again in the future I am sure.

disagree as you choose but when the supremes rule it's final. as a former justice said,'we are not final because we are infalible, we are infalible because we are final. the future is in the future. what is now is what is.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/05/11 08:30 AM
or you could logically conclude, right or wrong, that you can lean back safely.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/05/11 04:45 AM

When is that war going to start?

Actually.....

The battle has already been WON...over 20000

years ago by Jesus Christ on that cross!!!!!drinker <---herbal teabigsmile

Some just don't know this yet....
:wink:

:heart::heart::heart:

then why is the percentage of america's and the world's population becoming less christian and more secular every year?

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/05/11 04:38 AM

If we could all know the truth, there would be no arguments or discussions about it. The problem is we all have single narrow points of view. We are not all knowing. We each gather and process information individually. No single entity can know it all, or know the truth. By "truth" I mean the whole of it. We can only know small parts of it. We can only 'know' and "think we know.'

homerun, jeannie!!! ya got good wood on that hanging curve. it's outta the park!!! if we all could agree on the truth we wouldn't need laws.

jrbogie's photo
Wed 10/05/11 04:35 AM

Muddle means unnecessarily confusing. What is experiencing something as true? Specifically, what does experiencing a statement to be true look like, and/or mean - because that is the focus of the thread and what you responded to?

a statement alone about someone's experience is true only to that person. the statement is not true to the person who listens to the statement. he might conclude that the statement is credible but that does not make in in fact a true statement. to think it true one would require faith that the person's statement is truthful.

that i experienced someone making the statement means that my truth is that the statement was made to me but not that the statement itself is true.